Thread: Why a blitzball?

Registered User Why a blitzball? Sharpshooter's Avatar

Why a blitzball?

I personally loved Wakka as a character and everything, like a cool older brother.
    But his weapon is just a bit ... lame
    I mean what are the chances of killing something with a ball?
    Maybe and insect or something, but how was it that Wakka thought he could protect Yuna with a toy?
    I understand he is a ranged fighter, meant to take out aerial enemies, but I still found Lulu to be more effective.
    Now comes the big question....
    Why didn't a single person in the Square Enix company thought of giving Wakka a bow and arrow?
    Or a crossbow,throwing lance, etc.
    There are only a few bow users in final fantasy to begin with, Wakka would have fit the role perfectly. He has the aim ability, which is a common trait of an archer.

Id like to see everyone's thoughts on this.
    Final Fantasy and Samurai Champloo FTW!!

Registered User Why a blitzball? kupo's Avatar

Re: Why a blitzball?

they needed a weapon equally as ridiculous as his hair.

i figure that the people at SE felt like it fit his character. sure its kinda silly, but you have to admit, its actually not too shabby of a weapon. what i dont understand is why dosen't tidus use a blitzball?

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man." - Balthier

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    final fantasy xiii-2
    skyrim
    pokemon fire red

Let me throw a ball that is slightly harder if not way harder then a basketball at you a bunch of times. Now let me be a trained professional who throws a ball extremely fast for a living...you will die, in time.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

The Lone Dagger Why a blitzball? Xithor's Avatar

Yea you gotta think that as blitzball players they were able to throw the balls with extreme speed even in the water so if they were to throw them outside of battle you get a very fast and probably something that hurts the enemy a lot. As for the bow and arrow, I like archers personally but I don't think his personality or his stature would be right for it. I mean the guy is the second biggest guy as far as build behind Kimarhi and a bow and arrow wouldn't fit too well. I like a bow and arrows as weapons though.

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

At least it isn't as bad as having a fork for a weapon.

Crash Boom Bang Why a blitzball? Lily's Avatar

A way of making him a ranged fighter without using a gun....? I guess...throwing it at peoples heads seemed like it made sense as a weapon...? Balls to the face ****ing hurt as well

Memento Rhapso Why a blitzball? Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's like asking why Lulu uses stuffed animals and tools of death
    Also, have you seen some of the upgrades on that thing?! By no means is it a toy. Spikes, flames, poison, explosions, sweet lord as if the sheer velocity wasn't enough.
    I see it as a morning star without the chain, making it ten times better

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Blog Entries

There was a local news story here a few years back about a kid who was put into a coma after being accidentally struck in the face with a baseball. This was by another kid. Now imagine being hit with something the size (and possibly similar weight) of a basketball, being thrown by an adult with enough strength to whip it through water. A blitzball is definitely not some little beach ball being tossed around, here.

And given that Sin is a mostly aquatic beast, it does make sense to me to have a weapon that is effective underwater as well. Certainly more sensible than trying to use a sword underwater.

Ultimately though it's one of those things I try not to think about too hard. Out of all the things that make no sense in this game, I'd say having a blitzball as a weapon is one of the minor ones.

I was hit in the face with a soccer ball once. Oddly, it didn't hurt at all. I like to think it's because of my strong defenses.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

@Strongheart
    I guess your right
    I was hit in the face with a baseball a couple times before while pitching
    The result is always bloody xD

How can you say that his weapon is lame I mean come on. Ok, maybe at first it is a little lame but when you get the better weapons with the spikes it is more deadly.you sir or mam just doesn't aprecciate final fantasy enough that you are critisizing it. You should never do that. I should come through this computer and slap you in the face for saying somehting like that. You be lucky that we can't travel through computers.

Quote Originally Posted by norman View Post
    How can you say that his weapon is lame I mean come on. Ok, maybe at first it is a little lame but when you get the better weapons with the spikes it is more deadly.you sir or mam just doesn't aprecciate final fantasy enough that you are critisizing it. You should never do that. I should come through this computer and slap you in the face for saying somehting like that. You be lucky that we can't travel through computers.
    He has every right to criticize the game. You shouldn't threaten him like that.

Quote Originally Posted by scorptatious View Post
    He has every right to criticize the game. You shouldn't threaten him like that.
    Agreed, the forums are for people to talk about and debate things that they find odd in the games or any topic they choose. On the fact about being hit in the face by stuff, I played baseball all through high school and even getting hit by the ball not in the head didn't feel too pleasant. I mean if you got most meat like the back or the thigh it doesn't really hurt a lot but at 90+ mph it definitely leaves a nice welt. So a basketball coming at relatively the same speed because of how fast he could throw it in water...yea that'd probably be really destructive. Also what Dragon said about it fitting the plot well does make sense as well. They knew Tidus, Rikku, and Wakka were gonna fight under water so give him something that he is very skilled with already to fight with. Even Tidus used a blitzball in his overdrive.

Wanna Know More:

My latest videos:
    Naruto - Way Away

Registered User Why a blitzball? Cloudsnakeskin's Avatar

He should have been given a large crossbow and had the blitzball as a extra for short ranged attacks.
    The more things change, The more they stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by norman View Post
    well sorry...
    Im not dissing final fantasy or Wakka in particular
    Doesn't a man have the right to state his opinion?
    If I didn't appreciate final fantasy, why would I have even joined this website?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    I personally loved Wakka as a character and everything, like a cool older brother.
    But his weapon is just a bit ... lame
    I mean what are the chances of killing something with a ball?
    Maybe and insect or something, but how was it that Wakka thought he could protect Yuna with a toy?
    I understand he is a ranged fighter, meant to take out aerial enemies, but I still found Lulu to be more effective.
    Now comes the big question....
    Why didn't a single person in the Square Enix company thought of giving Wakka a bow and arrow?
    Or a crossbow,throwing lance, etc.
    There are only a few bow users in final fantasy to begin with, Wakka would have fit the role perfectly. He has the aim ability, which is a common trait of an archer.

Id like to see everyone's thoughts on this.
    How many bow and arrow/crossbow users did you see in the entire FFX game?

Loaf's post sums it up quite nicely.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

#LOCKE4GOD Why a blitzball? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why not a blitzball? He was a blitzballer. Connect the dots.

What I don't get is how he can hold a ball with protruding metal spikes, against his chest. And catch it too.

@Alpha
    well baseball players that went to war during word war ll didn't use bats and baseballs as their weapons did they?
    Lol
    and I agree with you about the spikes =P

@Alpha
    well baseball players that went to war during word war ll didn't use bats and baseballs as their weapons did they?

But to be a guardian you don't go using the weapons the (in this case) Crusaders give you. And a blitzball is like the only weapon they have on Besaid...not counting the Brotherhood.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    But to be a guardian you don't go using the weapons the (in this case) Crusaders give you. And a blitzball is like the only weapon they have on Besaid...not counting the Brotherhood.
    Well I never saw any of the Crusaders using a blitzball as a weapon,
    I saw swords and machina weapons.
    But then again, Wakka hated the Al Bhed so he refused to use their equipment.

@Alpha
    Lol
    and I agree with you about the spikes =P
    Well considering bats and baseball would be pretty useless against guns you can figure why they didn't use them as weapons in the War. I'm sure that when the troops needed a strategically placed grenade or one that had to travel a fairly long distance that the baseball players were the best people for the job though, because I can throw anything that's shaped like a baseball and relatively the same size decently well.

Wanna Know More:

My latest videos:
    Naruto - Way Away

Death Before Dishonor Why a blitzball? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why not a blitzball. He is a blitzball player. Why not stick with what you know.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

yea, i dont get it either, and for that matter, why give LULU stuffed animals?

Registered User Why a blitzball? fierytempest's Avatar

The real question is: After throwing the Blitzball, it always returned to him. HOW?

Lover I don't play to win, but for the thrill until I'm spent.

I think Wakka is one cool character and giving him a Blitzball as his weapon was very original. Okay granted it may seem a bit silly but he is awesome with it and that makes up for the tiny issue of it being a little silly in a nutshell Wakka Rocks!!!

its a pretty lame wep but you can get other balls with knives as well

I personally think the idea of a Blitzball as a weapon was a pretty good original idea. Granted I know why some people would see it as a little silly but you just admit it is very very original. In the end though his ultimate weapon looks so cool and if he therw it at you you would probably be dead so you cannot say that it is not a strong weapon when you get to the end of the game!!!

Registered User Why a blitzball? HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dude, Wakkas ultimate weapon is awesome! It's a blitzball yeah, but it's a blitzball with like Chainsaw blades coming out of it.

There are alot of questions about his fighting though, How can he throw so far if his pass stat sucks so much? How does it not hurt when he catches and cradles a spiked ball against himself? How does it always come back to him? Why are people ever making blitzballs covered in spikes?!

There are too many questions to bother figuring out all the answeres. Wakka is just cool enough to do all that. (Apparently he is trying to emmulate Lord Oholand, who apparently also fought with a blitzball, hence wakkas ultimate weapon)