Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tidus, you opinion please

Re: Tidus, you opinion please

I think Tidus was a great character. It was rough for him being transported 1000 years into the future, where all signs of familiarity were swept away. He was a bit cranky in the beginning, but partially because the only people he had met so far were Rikku and her strange language-speaking family (the Al Bhed), whom weren't all that welcoming to him. I loved how his character developed during the game, and how falling for Yuna changed how he felt about going home. It really showed how one person can change your whole life.
    "Great, I have one chicken-wuss and one kid who just entered puberty in my team!"

I thought Tidus was a pretty good character. Sure there were intances where I cringe at his voice acting and was weirded out by the weird faces he makes sometimes, but I did like a lot of the moments he had:

Spoiler:
    Like when he found out Yuna would die if she were to summon the Final Aeon, or when he cried for his dad even when he told him he "hated" him. Finally, I really liked the thing he and Yuna had going on. I felt bad for them when Tidus finally disappeared.

Besides, he's not NEARLY as bad as Rikku. God, I can't stand her... X(
    Last edited by scorptatious; 02-17-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Registered User Tidus, you opinion please Sharpshooter's Avatar

Tidus was a good character overall.
    I like how he greatly matured during the course of the game
    But I still find it weird how he was able to fight so easily without training....
    maybe it runs in the family blood?
    Lol I could imagine if Jecht was like that as a kid xD
    Final Fantasy and Samurai Champloo FTW!!

Dan the man Tidus, you opinion please
    I am originally from Iowa but i have travelled all over the world and currently am teaching english in beijing china for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruel Misery View Post
    Im not too much of a fan, ok he's good an all but his character sucks. He laughs like a dying seagull and is just really annoying.

in order of greatness:

Cloud<Squall<Vann<Zindane<Cloud

Come on even zindane had an edge but it seems like they kinda forced a character out of tidus, the dude is suddenly given a sword at the beggining and all of a sudden he can fight.... no... at least the other characters had experience. Cloud was in soldier, though he was never 1st Class, Squall was in Seed, Vaan was an acomplished strret theif and Zindane was part of a team of rouges.... Tidus was a blitzball player. But i will give him credit, i did like some of the scenes where he screams at sin and chases him and near the end when he man's up.

lol sorry im just ranting but whats your views on Tidus?
    definately a good character... but if you were to take my rate over the last 4 games from i would put it like this...so abviously he isnt my favorite...but i can say i dont hate him as a main character

Cloud how much i like them
    zidane
    squall
    tidus

How cool their names sound =)
    Zidane
    Tidus
    Cloud
    Squall

What the hell are you on about Tidus is COOL!!! I agree he may scream and sound a little girly and feminine at times but he still KICKS ASS!!! The best character on FF10 NO QUESTION.

Everyone needs a savior Tidus, you opinion please the_savior21's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruel Misery View Post
    Im not too much of a fan, ok he's good an all but his character sucks. He laughs like a dying seagull and is just really annoying.

in order of greatness:

Cloud<Squall<Vann<Zindane<Cloud

Come on even zindane had an edge but it seems like they kinda forced a character out of tidus, the dude is suddenly given a sword at the beggining and all of a sudden he can fight.... no... at least the other characters had experience. Cloud was in soldier, though he was never 1st Class, Squall was in Seed, Vaan was an acomplished strret theif and Zindane was part of a team of rouges.... Tidus was a blitzball player. But i will give him credit, i did like some of the scenes where he screams at sin and chases him and near the end when he man's up.

lol sorry im just ranting but whats your views on Tidus?
    thats all part of his story and why that makes him so great i will give credeit to squall zidane and vann but cloud wasn't really in soldier he was a copy of somebody who was he was still a great charactor but tidus was much better then cloud tidus started with nothing and then rose and continued to build relationships, mature, and get stronger as the story goes on and at the end of the game he is the one that does on to make the first move against the very thing that has been terrorizing spira forever and thats not sin its yu yevon because sin can only come about with if yu yevon can latch on to an aeon. Squall and Tidus are definatly number 1 and 2 in my book because they both grow throughout the game and are the most near a real person then any of the others
    Don't look to others for knowledge, this is your story.

PSN: jwitt2123
    be sure to include in the request that you are from
    this forum and also ur username on here, if you intend
    to add me that is thanks

Currently playing
    FFIX- PSP via PSN, COD Black Ops (Zombies) - PS3

Most Played FF = FFVIII
    FF7-12, FF8-28, FF9-12, FFX-23

Every story must have an ending and every story needs a savior

I like Tidus okay he seems a bit feminine at times but in genreal I like him he is a good character and he is a great blitzball player if he has learnt the Jecht Shot!!!

tidus is alroght sometimes, but sometimes he really pisses me off when im in battle and he does his gae talk, "i wont go so easy on you next time"

I love tidus i think he is great he is funny he alway makes me laugh.in ffx leaving luca tidus and yuna when they laugh it just cracks me up every time.followed by wakka he is also funny but in my opinion tidus is always good for a laugh.he is just the funiest charicter.how can anyone not like tidus he is great.he is good at blitzball and also good at the ject shot.and wants you have powered him up enough he is the best fighter in the game.his overdriver are just awsome and for my ball thrower i always have rikku.so thats why i think tidus is great.
    Last edited by joleine taylor; 03-23-2011 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Registered User Tidus, you opinion please Locke4God's Avatar

Tidus I give like a 6 out of 10 to.

As a character, he was likeable, but really the uber happy main character is kind of a little bit of a drag for me. I preferred Vaan's demeanor, where he was more focused.

As a fighter, he was actually very good, and quite fun. I still feel as it relates to character though that plenty of other leads including Cloud, Squall, Cecil, and others were more "fighter" types, but still Tidus was just as useful.

Tidus is actually almost a clone of Zidane. Just super duper swashbucklingly happy all the time, which just feels odd to me quite honestly for somebody who has "save the world" pressure mounting on them, but still even Zidane was a theif and so had some fighting background to buy into.

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Tidus, you opinion please Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

I can't understand how he is annoying, unless you don't take in consideration about his past. And about Vaan being cooler than any previous character... >.>

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

TFF's Resident Messenger Tidus, you opinion please Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tidus, you opinion please

My opinion on Tidus is mixed. When I first played the game, I thought he was so cool! This was the second FF that I played, and I was fifteen at the time. Anyway, whether Tidus knew it or not, he lived a pretty charmed life. His dad was the most famous person in Zanarkand, so I am sure that growing up he had people all wanting to like him to get near Jecht. And whenever he didn't get what he wanted, I think that's when he started the whole "crybaby" routine. I feel Jecht was showing tough love, in wierd unconventional, avoidy kind of way. After Jecht went to Spira, Tidus realized that he wanted his father more than ever, but despised the thought of wanting him back. So he blamed Jecht even more. I think Tidus' journey was one to find out what really happened to his father, rather than to defeat Sin.

Does all that make sense?

To continue, the thought of being whiny is a child concept. At 17, even though you are near adulthood, you are still a child. I think that if the characterization of being a crybaby was given to someone of Wakka's, or Yevon forbid, Auron's age, then gamers would really be going on about it. So, Tidus, even though a spoiled brat, deserves to be a crybaby, at least for a little bit longer.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

I want to play a game. Tidus, you opinion please Zargabaath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Swayne View Post
    Anyway, whether Tidus knew it or not, he lived a pretty charmed life. His dad was the most famous person in Zanarkand, so I am sure that growing up he had people all wanting to like him to get near Jecht.
    Do you see the problem? With what you said people would not want to know Tidus but use him as a means to get near his father. He didn't like how is father would command attention from people or lead them on with hopes of seeing his other techniques. While playing through FFX a second time I saw I scene I had not remembered. A scene that gave more depth to Tidus' relationship with his dad. Tidus was wanting his mom, but she was fawning over Jecht, ignoring her child.

In truth she was probably more of a fan-girl, the luckiest fan-girl being Jecht's girlfriend. Her having his child may have been a bonus since he may not have left her but she had no interest in Tidus.

It was Jecht who told his mother to attend to Tidus. Just before Tidus has this flashback he's about to say that his old man did care for him or wasn't so bad. When Jecht vanished Tidus' mother lost all energy which to me adds that she did not care much for Tidus. She was too focused on Jecht.

And whenever he didn't get what he wanted, I think that's when he started the whole "crybaby" routine. I feel Jecht was showing tough love, in wierd unconventional, avoidy kind of way.
    Jecht was a mainly man so he was going to show tough love, but Tidus perhaps didn't want that type of love or he wanted to be loved by his mother. And to me the only time that I found Tidus to be actually whining was after the fiend attack at Luca during the blitzball tournament when he was talking to Auron in private.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Blog Entries

I understand. I was just trying to put a little back story or what I think the game could have explained a little further. I do agree with your view, though. Maybe if the game had pointed out that Jecht and Tidus's mother it would've put the whole "fan-girl" possibilty to the wayside. Must be the way I was raised.

I am just commenting on other posts about how Tidus was a whiner or a crybaby. I am not the one who started that idea. I think that the previous post was aimed to make it seem like I am a bad person, or that I don't know what I am talking about. Now that is how I am understanding it. Please explain your intent so I can understand where you are coming from. I am sorry if I am taking it completely 180 degrees in the wring way.

I guess that the whole family perspective was a bit dysfunctional. What family isn't these days, right? I think that Jecht could have been a better father. Especially in the scene where he says, "I normally charge for lessons." He should have been happier that his son was taking an interest in what Jecht's occupation was.

But I think we are veering off the target. We should be talking about Tidus, and I apologize for starting on Jecht in the first place. But professionals say that part of the blame on how a person acts in life or how one is perceived is one the parents.
    Last edited by Michael Swayne; 03-30-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

TFF Adoption Agency

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

I was expanding on what you had said to bring to light Tidus' problems. After looking back I forgot to mention that I would disagree that he had a charmed life. He may have had material goods, but I think he was looking for emotional goods. I wasn't trying to make you look like a bad guy. I saw the quotation marks around cry-baby and I stated my opinion of when I honestly thought he was whining which I find many people over-exaggerate that characteristic of his - you not included.

I was talking about Tidus. On the subject of his relationship with his parents and how they were to him.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Blog Entries

Okay, thank you for explaining. I am new here, and I would hate for everyone to get a bad impression of me from the start. I do appreciate another point of view, though. It is how we become better people. Thank you for that.

I am not saying that Tidus was a bad addition to the game. In fact, I thought that every character in FFX could've have had more of a story. I just think that 10 years after playing FFX for the first time, there are other characters who have stepped up far better than he did. That is my opinion.

TFF Adoption Agency

I just think that 10 years after playing FFX for the first time, there are other characters who have stepped up far better than he did. That is my opinion.
    Stepped up in what sense? To the challenge of the journey?

Blog Entries

Exactly. They all save the world in the end. For instance, Vivi from FFIX was unsure of his existence, and yet he rose to the challenge to prove who and what he is. He could've just said that he isn't human or he wasn't worth Zidane's or anyone's else time, and then decide to end it all. I just didn't see that much of drive from Tidus. Yes, Tidus was driven, but not the way that other characters are.

TFF Adoption Agency

I would have to disagree with that. Tidus was the one who wanted to defeat the Chocobo Eater. Tidus was the one who wanted & showed Yuna how to save Kimahri. It was Tidus who wanted to save Yuna. Tidus did not falter in the end when the party was about to face Sin (i.e. his father). The look on Tidus' face was pure determination. Also, with the defeat of Yu Yevon Tidus knew he would disappear yet he did not falter in his drive to defeat Yu Yevon. I find that to be on the same level as Vivi, if not more. I would also say Tidus' existence is less substantial than Vivi's. Tidus is a dream given substance, Vivi is real though produced.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 04-02-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Blog Entries

You have a point. Thank you. I guess you have a different opinion than I do. But, I do hope we can agre that is one of the bette FF games, right?

TFF Adoption Agency

Dalmascan princess Tidus, you opinion please lady ashe's Avatar

i didnt like Tidus as much as i likd Cloud, Squall, Zidane, oh and Balthier.
    sure hes alright but i guess... well you know. the others are just so much more cooler than him

Ashe and Vaan forever

I roleplay Daisuke Niwa and DArk from DNANGEL and HAruhi Fujioka from OHSHC and also Ashe, so if anyone would like to RP with me just ask haha

My twitter - @Host_Haruhi

I realy liked Tidus. His eternal optimism was something that realy spoke to me. Most of FF main characters have been sour faced and moody. Tidus had more to complain about than pretty much all of them but after a quick "WTF do you mean Sin is my *Spoiler*" he just gets back to being a fun loving guy.

Plus he's a good all rounder in your party alongside a mage and a tank. Infact he's probably my second favourite lead character in a FF game after Cloud.

Tidus looks kinda like a girl

Ashe and Vaan forever

I roleplay Daisuke Niwa and DArk from DNANGEL and HAruhi Fujioka from OHSHC and also Ashe, so if anyone would like to RP with me just ask haha

Registered User Tidus, you opinion please DrewYeahhh's Avatar

I do think he is a faggot tbf but at least he is better than Hope

Hope is soooooo cute though!!!!!!

Ashe and Vaan forever

Registered User Tidus, you opinion please DrewYeahhh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lady ashe View Post
    Hope is soooooo cute though!!!!!!
    Well i wouldnt say is cute because that would make me gay aha.
    But he does have good character development in FF XIII i mean at first i hated him but then he started to man up so i started to like him.

This still doesnt change that i prefer Tidus over Hope

Time flows without pause, in a world where I no longer exist, the future is about to change.

I will save the world Tidus, you opinion please Hero without a Name's Avatar

Regarding all of the final fantasy main male heroes...it would probably go in this order.

1. Cloud
    2. Zidane
    3. Squall
    4. Firon
    5. Cecil
    6. Tidus
    7...etc, etc, etc

So he's not my personal favorite, but he was never one to step away from a fight. Sure people may consider him a cry baby or a winer and there were times he was annoying I guess, but look at his past. His mother was so focused on spending time with Jecht, she barely watched him, and Jecht was no good father and that messed him up.

Bottom line is, he was determined to help Yuna while on her pilgrimage (hope I spelled that right), he always ran into a fight to help people, he was awesome in blitzball, and the face of hate that Tidus gets in the AMV (spoiler alert), when Yuna is forced to kiss seymour, makes him a BAMF. He was a good fighter, he never backed down, and at the end of the day. He was the best gurdian in the history of Spira.

"I may save the world, but you'll never know why"

My TFF Family

Judge Magister Brother in Arms: To give peace to the world and look cool doing it

Firefly: Baby cousin To spread joy to all who read the forums

The_Dream_Recluse: Witty brother with a sweet sword

Bailiax: My star stealing sister who lives in the beautiful deep sea.

Chocobo_Lover 17- Sister who is breeding my army of chocobos

Lion Heart: Gunblade hero under our hero clan

I wasn't really much of a fan of Tidus - compared to the other FFX party characters, his story was really lacking until near the end when the truth of his existence emerges. Compared to other Final Fantasy protagonists, i would rank him in the lower half.
    Spoiler:
    My TFF Family:

My TFF girlfriend who hearts root beer - Chocobo_Lover 17
    My brother of honourable justice - Judge Magistrate
    My Canadian sister who travels the skies- R.Kyra
    My nameless brother of legend - Hero without a Name
    My brother, the Gunblade master - Lion Heart
    My supernatural sister of mysterious intrigue - belleZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2