Thread: How can they breathe underwater?

Shake it like a polaroid picture How can they breathe underwater? RagnaToad's Avatar

How can they breathe underwater?

How can Tidus and Rikku breathe underwater?

I know Blitzball players are trained to hold their breathe for a very long time, and it's another world so that should be possible. But in the beginning of the game, Rikku and the other Al-Bhed just assume that Tidus can stay underwater like forever... Even though he hasn't told them he's a blitzball player at that point.

So why would they think he can breathe udnerwater, and why can Rikku?
    Last edited by RagnaToad; 05-28-2009 at 08:47 PM.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Either.... industrial strength lungs... the use of stem cells for genetic modification... they have secret gills... or in the future mankind just learns to adapt underwater.

Yeah... I don't know either, it seems pretty far fetched but it makes for a good game no? Or perhaps the water they play in for Blitzball is specially adapted. Uh wait. No. Because they go in the Ocean too xD.
    I'm sure there is an answer... but then we could ask ourselves how does Lulu keep her dress up.

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilala View Post
    but then we could ask ourselves how does Lulu keep her dress up.
    Easy magic or maybe just the magic of double sided tape.

Has anyone thought that the water might be the same as it is here on this planet? Take for instance Diamond armor, given this would be amazing to see it is a little on the impossible side here because you can't forge a diamond into a breast plate; let alone find one big enough to forge. And how can they wear a rubber suit and still take a sword blow with out sweating to death?

Maybe the water there is more oxygen rich and less dense. Not only making it possible to breath underwater (for periods of time) but also gives them the abilty to function with out the slugish movement commonly involved with Earth water.

Damn I sound like a dork haha, I love it.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    Easy magic or maybe just the magic of double sided tape.
    Nice theory, but consider the weight of all the belts, the fabrics which would be able to handle such weight without 'ripping'. ^~ That would be some heavy duty tape. Super glue perhaps? As for magic... do they have any 24/7 spells? If it were Harry Potter I would agree, but I'm not sure xD

Maybe the water there is more oxygen rich and less dense.
    The reason humans can't breath underwater is simply because our lungs don't have the surface area to actually absorb enough of the dissolved oxygen from the water. So okay maybe the answer could be higher proportions of oxygen - but this would induce other problems. The lining of our lungs are adapted to handle air rather than water... However when I was looking something up, it's said there have been some experiments with humans breathing other liquids. Flourocarbons. They're a colourless liquids so it could be possible xP Downfall is they have a higher density...

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Tsuna Feesh How can they breathe underwater? Fate's Avatar
    Pfft! FF is filled with rhetorical questions! How does a big, golden chicken fly? How can they wear the same thing for years and not smell? How come even the deadliest things can only incapicitate them? Same thing!

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

Lord Deity of Harmony How can they breathe underwater? Elyon Seraphim's Avatar
    ehhhh... Final Fantasy is all about Hocus Pocus thingys! The Blitzball water is probarly witched! Its formed as a sphere anyway! A BIG Ball of water floating?! The answer is Magic Magic Magic!
    My Reaction of People That Points The Obvious

This is my Daily Day in 2Fort
    My TFF Family:
    Still working on rewamping this, Just give a shout if you wanna join!

Shake it like a polaroid picture How can they breathe underwater? RagnaToad's Avatar
    First of all, I know it's a "fantasy" game. But this doesn't mean that their are no rules. It just takes place in a world with other rules, but it still has to make sense and all.

Second of all, wearing the same clothes and not get smelly and stuff like that is in every game the same. But you don't see Lara Croft swimming underwater for hours.

Granted, Tombraider is not a Fantasy game, but you shouldn't see the word "fantasy" as an excuse for everything that isn't explained in its entirety.

I've heard that excuse many times when watching series like Heroes have discrepancies between different episodes (like Claire being able to be sedaded, but not able to get drunk because of her healing ability).

If Gandalf suddenly used a laser sword, you wouldn't buy it, would you? Cause it doesn't match the rules of that world, if you know what I mean.

I think the "water" in Blitzball isn't actually water (or at least some bewitched form).
    And the liquid in the "sea" might be a different one too.
    The problem is that they never talk underwater, which makes me believe that the makes want to imply that they can't actually breathe underwater.

I think they just have some mecanical/magical advantage that we don't have.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Soup Kitchen Jerk. How can they breathe underwater? Polk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    The problem is that they never talk underwater, which makes me believe that the makes want to imply that they can't actually breathe underwater.
    Actually, in the scene where Yuna gets kidnapped by the Extractor, Wakka speaks underwater (at about three minutes in, Wakka is clearly underwater and says "Yuna! We'll save you!"). I'm not sure if they meant him to speak underwater, or if it's a mistake, but there you go.

X has some really funny logistical flaws. I, for one, have never understood Lake Macalania. The entire lake is covered in a sheet of ice, but when it's broken, there seems to be no water underneath it, as everyone just kind of hangs out at the bottom after the Wendigo fight. If there's no water, where does the ice come from? If there IS water, how is everyone just kind of chilling at the bottom of the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Fez or whatever your name is nowadays
    How can they wear the same thing for years and not smell?
    For the most part, Final Fantasy games seem to take place within a span of about a week to a month. Also, considering that most of the games tend to center around the main characters stopping some sort of apocalypse, I think their hygiene is one of the last things on their minds.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

I feel epic... How can they breathe underwater? Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.
    You guys realize you're talking about FINAL FANTASY, right? Over the entire series, weird things has happened. How did Celes survive the cliff fall? How did Yang survive getting BLOWN UP? How did Galuf survive a METEOR CRASH? How? How does the party survive falls of any height? How can only the plot kill a character? These questions are unaswerable. Why? Cause its Final Fantasy. And also because of THIS:

The Grand List of Console Role Playing Game Cliches
    Last edited by Ralz; 06-04-2009 at 09:30 PM.

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

Keith Long
    thats why its a game

come and get some How can they breathe underwater? Darkwave's Avatar
    I would to have to agree with Ralz on this point. I just happens and we are going to have to deal with it, even if we like it on not

At the end of the day, it comes down to one hero to save us all.

How can they breathe underwater? Gamer X's Avatar

Thumbs up How do they breath...

Near the end of the game they let it out that this World that our characters exist in is all a dream from the victims if the Great Cataclysm that occurs in the ancient history of Spira. So that explained why basic Physics didn't apply in Blitzball and for Chemistry with breathing under water. The main thing to remember when analyzing the FFX game is that when "Magic" was introduced the world as we know it didn't apply anymore. When I figured that out I actually did quite good in the game and have been playing it for years. I hope they reunite the players of "X" in a new sequel in the future. I guess the Square D folks are up to XVII or so now.

Keep'n on play'n da Game,

Gamer X
    If we forget the experience past in the course of human events we will reap greater tragedies than were once before.

Pig Spot ... Shut Up ... Wait ... How can they breathe underwater? tre skills's Avatar
    umm why is it called final 'FANTASY'
    sum dumb thread this is geez
    and btw ITS A GAME! hahaha
    [Fav FF: IX & X ]

[Currently Playing: FF X-2]

[Final Fantasy's Beaten: FF VI (snes) - FF IX - FF X]

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar
    The true reason is that Square Enix is secretly making a diving simulation game and they planned to use some of the basic mechanics in FFX before realising some people mightn't spring for their future diving simulation game if they can get a simplified experience free in another game.

Realising some gamers were so lazy that games that are pretty much interactive movies would sell well led to the development of the system used in FFXII. It all makes so much sense!!!
    victoria aut mors

Oh Boy! How can they breathe underwater? Lavos's Avatar
    And Ralz breaks out the list again!

Anyway, maybe it is something special about them. Notice how only Tidus, Wakka, and Rikku can swim (that is why I HATED Baaj temple). Mabye the Al Bhed and Blitzball are just trained that way.

I also didn't get the arena. Weird how the water goes up, CURVES, and doesn't fall back where it is being shot....how is this done, and can I do it?

FINISH HIM!

Cloud_Strife_
    maby a device the have in there longs so the can breath under wother. maby because he is some kind a mutant that can breath under wother? maby he is member of some kind a under wother tribe ??

They have gil(l)s

I invented Go-Gurt. How can they breathe underwater? Clint's Avatar
    Caucasians can breath underwater. It's a fact of nature. The only ones that can't breath underwater are the ones who force themselves into thinking that they can't breath underwater. It's the placebo effect. If you believe in your heart that you can't do something, then obviously your mind won't let you do it.

Tsuna Feesh How can they breathe underwater? Fate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ragnarok View Post
    Anyway, maybe it is something special about them. Notice how only Tidus, Wakka, and Rikku can swim (that is why I HATED Baaj temple). Mabye the Al Bhed and Blitzball are just trained that way.
    But then wouldn't Yuna be able to swim as well, because she's half Al Bhed? Or maybe it's because she's half that she can't swim? But that scene where Suteki Da Ne was playing... Can you consider that swimming?

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

Oh Boy! How can they breathe underwater? Lavos's Avatar
    This can also refer to the fact that in FF VII, when fighting emerald, you have a 20 minute time limit. How can they hold their breath for that long, especially how one is about 45 and smokes 24/7. They just do.

FINISH HIM!

Registered User How can they breathe underwater? NeoAquarius12's Avatar

Re: How can they breathe underwater?

They can all do it, but three people are good at it. That's why you only get to use the three of them.

I think they just have different ancestors than ours. They come from fish. Just like Zidane comes from monkeys. And Cloud comes from wolves??? haha

Registered User How can they breathe underwater? Sharpshooter's Avatar

My best guess would be that the al-bhed use some sort of machine attached to their lungs
    idk for sure but thats just my best guess
    Final Fantasy and Samurai Champloo FTW!!

I think they have lungs of steel that can hold their breathe forever. Like the same when they play blitzball. they are in an underwater circle and they play it kind of like soccer only they can also use their hands. It is probably how they made the game because if the didn't they would have probably died in the beginning when tidus is playing blitzball.

Dan the man How can they breathe underwater?
    I am originally from Iowa but i have travelled all over the world and currently am teaching english in beijing china for a couple years.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say..magic..lol. its a game. I mean if were going to question the possibility of breathing underwater than we might as well question everything else...like how can they cast fire spells? or how does aurons sword weaken enemys. sometimes its just better to enjoy the hard too understand things i guess....it is a fantasy after all =P

That bothered me for awhile too then I just got over it. For awhile I thought maybe it was like highly oxygenated air mixed into the water that they could breathe in but then I realized they wouldn't be able to swim in it because it's density would be too low and that wouldn't explain lakes and stuff.

It's funny that at one point someone would of had to have brought up this question while developing this game then another guy was like "I 'unno" so it became a question skillfully ignored in the game (moreso then the characters avoidance of tidus' name)
    Playstaion ID: Setzer_All-in

- "Phoenix Downs are your friends. But remember Cloud they don't always work. I'm looking at yooou Aeris"

-"Immortal maybe... but not invincible!" -Prince (of Persia)

they just got very big lungs