Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Did Yuna turn into a SLUT?

This is far more information than I think I can process about Final Fantasy X, a game which I don't much care for.

I do, however, feel that there is an inherent racism against anyone non-Japanese that runs through almost all localizations of story-heavy games which are made in Japan. I won't equate them with people from the South of the United States in terms of sheer ethnocentricism (The South is 10x less intelligent), but dang Japan, non-Japanese people are people, too.
    "I find this all to be highly inappropriate."

Blog Entries
    Interesting analysis, Zerathos. I never played X-2, so my only knowledge of these characters is from FFX, and Spoony's reviews of the games. A majority of people I've talked who have played X-2 made me think that it probably wasn't worth playing. However, your post did make it a bit more compelling for me.

Whenever I'd see the title of this thread, I'd think, "that's an absurd title for a thread," and I never really paid it much more mind after that (though my alter ego apparently responded to it, lol. I forgot about that.) Apparently the discussion got really heated, eh? I guess I get it, but after reading some of the OP's later responses, it sounds like he wasn't being entirely serious with the wording of the thread title. Then again, there were other people saying inflammatory things, too, I guess. So it goes.

My thought was that I didn't care about this game, I didn't care what Yuna wore, and I was also mostly indifferent to Yuna, herself, when I played FFX. My favorite character in that was Auron, and I *kinda* liked Lulu too, but I didn't think she had enough character development to be super interesting. I also wasn't super big on Rikku, and Yuna and Rikku make up 2/3rds of the playable characters in X-2, right? So that's a recipe for me never playing this game, lol. The title of this thread has kept coming up over the years, though--some guest or whatever would be viewing it--and I'd just kinda role my eyes at the thread title again, lol.

Translating and keeping the same intentions seems to be hard. That's just the impression I've gotten with any project translated from Japanese to English, and naturalized in the states. Different cultures, different norms, different traditions, etc. So what I'm saying is that I don't think we should be *too* hard on the translation team.

Eh.

The Mad God Did Yuna turn into a SLUT? Heartless Angel's Avatar
    I think the change is perfectly justifiable given the events of the original. Yuna decided that it was her responsibility to go die and defeat Sin when she was still just a kid, so there wasn't much point in her being outgoing and gregarious, making friends just to go die and leave them behind. Being a normal person with her own hopes, dreams, interests, etc was something she'd always seen as superfluous. It's a lot harder to resign yourself to die when you're vibrant and full of life, so, naturally she adopted a demure personality to distance herself from those things to be what she needed to be.After Sin was defeated, for the first time, she actually had a life to go live, a chance to discover who she really was beyond the duty she had forced herself to accept. And the two people who were most instrumental in freeing her from her fate were Tidus and Rikku (and the Al Bhed in general), who both refused to accept the cycle, and were the only two who really believed that it didn't have to be an inevitability, and kept pushing that until everyone else started to believe it, too. Their childlike naivety and stubbornness are what ultimately changed everything for Yuna, so it sort of makes sense that she'd try to be more like them now that she had her own life to live.

Also, I'd honestly recommend X-2, Taco. It's actually one of my favorites to play, even if it isn't the best story. The combat system is really fun, and honestly one of the best of the series.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Boxer of the Galaxy Did Yuna turn into a SLUT? Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel View Post
    I think the change is perfectly justifiable given the events of the original. Yuna decided that it was her responsibility to go die and defeat Sin when she was still just a kid, so there wasn't much point in her being outgoing and gregarious, making friends just to go die and leave them behind. Being a normal person with her own hopes, dreams, interests, etc was something she'd always seen as superfluous. It's a lot harder to resign yourself to die when you're vibrant and full of life, so, naturally she adopted a demure personality to distance herself from those things to be what she needed to be.After Sin was defeated, for the first time, she actually had a life to go live, a chance to discover who she really was beyond the duty she had forced herself to accept. And the two people who were most instrumental in freeing her from her fate were Tidus and Rikku (and the Al Bhed in general), who both refused to accept the cycle, and were the only two who really believed that it didn't have to be an inevitability, and kept pushing that until everyone else started to believe it, too. Their childlike naivety and stubbornness are what ultimately changed everything for Yuna, so it sort of makes sense that she'd try to be more like them now that she had her own life to live.

Also, I'd honestly recommend X-2, Taco. It's actually one of my favorites to play, even if it isn't the best story. The combat system is really fun, and honestly one of the best of the series.
    I can agree to the combat system. It is very enjoyable and im surprised a system similar to it wasn't adapted into any other FF series.
    While you might be able to see Yuna's behavior being justifiable from some psychological perspective, that doesn't mean we have to like it. Her character is changed entirely. If her name wasn't Yuna nor dressed in similar style clothing, we would have no idea that its her. She behaves like a teenager who just discovered her love for boy bands and pop music. Any and all signs of growth from her trauma appear to be missing from her personality. Look at Lulu, shes a prime example of someone matured from her experiences. She was once a guardian to a summoner she failed to protect and shes turned all sexy emo. Love it. Regardless, there's depth to her character. Yuna seems to have done a 180 in this regard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3