Thread: Best Optional Game/Sidequest

Best Optional Game/Sidequest

I was not sure which game I should post this thread in but this is probably the best choice due to the nature of the question. In my opinion Blitzball is without question (at least in my eyes) the best optional game/sidequest. I do like Triple Triad from FF8 and despise Tetra Mater from FF9. I will admit that at times Blitzball can get mildly tedious but it is nowhere near as annoying as Triple Triad (however I love playing Triple Triad) when certain rules are imposed on you and Tetra Master is just a bag of shite. Anyone disagree or have any views on it let me know.

.............. Best Optional Game/Sidequest smurphy's Avatar

Re: Best Optional Game/Sidequest

Triple Triad was great until the plus/same/random rules came into effect. Plus and same would just f*ck up a game you were winning and random would give you a sh*tty hand usually. That could be nulled by Card Mod-ing the weaker cards but is hard to do with the likes of flan. Tetra Master is good up to a point but achieving in it leads to no good items or anything(bar when you take on Cid in the tournament).

Blitzball is probably the best of them as it has a lot more depth but goddamn that minigame takes up a lot of time. I reckon time invested is not worth the items attained.
    And Blitzball in X-2 just plain sucked.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Registered User Best Optional Game/Sidequest

No love for Chocobo Hot and Cold?

I loved that minigame the best. Sooo much fun to try and find all those treasures, and even better when you would dig up a chocograph and get to go out in the overworld to look for stuff.

I...wasn't a big fan of Blitzball, tbh. The matches last a little too long for me to stay interested, and I just never got the hang of the game.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Registered User Best Optional Game/Sidequest Locke4God's Avatar

Oh I thought it was the Omega Dungeon by far.

Omega was challenging, the whole area was haunting, with very deadly creatures you had to strategize for. The aspect of not being able to see the whole map initially was super cool. It was just a fun time in there.

Honorable mention goes to finding Anima, which was a challenging just to locate her, and then to complete the tasks you needed to gain access was really fun I thought, esspecially where she was located.

I didn't like the monster dungeon, but I never like those. Some how going back to beat every creature in the game just gets really really tedious for me. And I didn't care for some of the final weapon quests either. I refuse to jump lightening bolts and have no idea why anybody would. I swear Square just put that in there to see who would actually go through with it. I wasn't buying into it though :-)

FFIX dominance.... Best Optional Game/Sidequest FFlover2789's Avatar

personally i loved the monster arena quest so i could level up my characters cuase you really had to work to get ten of every monster in the game. :-)

The Collector Best Optional Game/Sidequest Kyster's Avatar

I agree with FFlover2789, filling the monster arena was a good, and hard challenge.
    Blitzball is nice too, especially the process when you try to increase your team members stats and abilities, or even find skilled veterans, like Nimrook etc.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Best Optional Game/Sidequest Xanatos's Avatar

I'll have to go with Triple Triad since you're pointing out the entire series, which makes me wonder what's this thread doing in this section anyways. Sure, some rules are stupid to say the least, but entire game is rather addictive, and fun. Same can be said for Chocobo hot, and cold, searching for Chocographs, and upgrading your Chocobo was addictive, needless to say it didn't stop there, the entire mini game lead to other sidequests, and one of the most challenging bosses ever.

As for Blitzball, I personally love sports, but I just couldn't get into it.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

TFF's Resident Messenger Best Optional Game/Sidequest Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I prefer Sphere Break from Final Fantasy X-2. It was a welcome thing to do in my house when I first bought it. My brother and sister were able to improve their math skills, and I found it to be very addicting. Even my mom would play it from time to time.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Blitzball from X was good. The Obel Lake sidequest from VIII was pretty interesting. Chocobo Hot and Cold from IX was long but entertaining.
    "My soul, corrupted by vengeance, hath endured torment to find the end of the journey, in my own salvation and your eternal slumber."

Thanks for replying to my thread I completely forgot about Chocobo hot and cold and tbh I do like that sidequest it IS pretty fun. I also like Sphere break except for one thing which is you could have a great coin count echo going and then whoever's core you are playing puts in the nuber one which shatters the echo that is a complete and utter bitch and the only thing I didn't like about it. And on a pertsonal note to LockeGod Omega weapon in my eyes was no challenge you must have had pretty weak charcaters if you found him challenging sorry!