Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What DIDN'T you like about this game?

What DIDN'T you like about this game?

So, as I've said before, Final Fantasy IX is my third favorite in the series, behind IV and VI. I love almost everything about it, but there are a couple things I didn't like.

1) Trance - I hated how the whole Trance system worked. Say you're fighting a minor regular battle and Zidane gets his trance...I just think it's kind of a waste of a trance, because you can't decide when you want to use it, like you could in other games, like say FFVII (Limit Break being VII's equivelant to Trance).

2) The Battle System - It was a little slow. It's nothing major or anything, but it is among the few things I felt could've been better.

3) Blue Magics - Most of the blue magics seemed more useless than in previous games, I thought. For example, Magic Hammer in FFVII was one of the best Enemy Skills, in my opinion. In FFIX, it was only like half as useful. Aqua Breath only takes off 1/4 of the enemy's max HP, so I've read. In other games, it dealt random damage like any other magic does. So I didn't really like that 1/4 max HP deal. The last example I'll list is Mighty Guard. It just seemed like it wore off way too quickly. The blue magic Night was quite useful, though...putting all enemies to sleep with I believe a 100% success rate, as long as they're not immune to sleep.

That's really about it, though. Everything else about the game I love.

Re: What DIDN'T you like about this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal~Killer View Post
    So, as I've said before, Final Fantasy IX is my third favorite in the series, behind IV and VI. I love almost everything about it, but there are a couple things I didn't like.

1) Trance - I hated how the whole Trance system worked. Say you're fighting a minor regular battle and Zidane gets his trance...I just think it's kind of a waste of a trance, because you can't decide when you want to use it, like you could in other games, like say FFVII (Limit Break being VII's equivelant to Trance).

2) The Battle System - It was a little slow. It's nothing major or anything, but it is among the few things I felt could've been better.

3) Blue Magics - Most of the blue magics seemed more useless than in previous games, I thought. For example, Magic Hammer in FFVII was one of the best Enemy Skills, in my opinion. In FFIX, it was only like half as useful. Aqua Breath only takes off 1/4 of the enemy's max HP, so I've read. In other games, it dealt random damage like any other magic does. So I didn't really like that 1/4 max HP deal. The last example I'll list is Mighty Guard. It just seemed like it wore off way too quickly. The blue magic Night was quite useful, though...putting all enemies to sleep with I believe a 100% success rate, as long as they're not immune to sleep.

That's really about it, though. Everything else about the game I love.
    When it comes to the battle system they really didn't change much from previous games, they could of brought back FF7's limit system, and gave the game a few ultimate multi hits... Overall yes I admit the system was a bit traditional, but I still liked it best for some reason.

My most disliked thing? Freya.... Diseased anthro rat chicks with pellet turds are kind of a turn off for me...

Passing fair judgement What DIDN'T you like about this game? Judge Magistrate's Avatar

I don't like Zidane, I know, he's the main character, but he annoys me.
    None shall escape judgement, all shall fall by my blade.

My TFF family
    EveVanilla
    Firefly-The Greatest Little Sister Ever
    Ruin-My bro working in the military
    Nickness89-My brother from another mother
    angelmarie190515-My mentor and greatest older sister
    A Hero without a Name- My brother in arms
    Raven Zecht-Herald of what is to come
    LadyWinchester-The mistress of light and dark

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Registered User What DIDN'T you like about this game? grims sakura's Avatar

I agree on the Trance. It was annoying how you'd get it on the easiest random fight when you didn't need it, but when you were in dire need of it, it wasn't there. The only way to control it is to work it up in random battles so that you had it when you needed it in the difficult boss fights.
    TFF Family:

~angelmarie190515- Evil Twin

<3

Crash Boom Bang What DIDN'T you like about this game? Lily's Avatar

just the start of the game really,it was a slow mover, i always mean to create an extra save when i replay so i can skip the first few hours but I always forget...

That and skipping, infuriating shit

All is One.One is All. What DIDN'T you like about this game? Firefly's Avatar

All of the freaking random encounters! I mean,is it just me,or did this game have more random encounters than other FF's? Like,I would take 5 steps and BOOM! Random encounter! Kill fiend/flee...another five steps...BOOM! Random Encounter! ..Other than that...absolutely nothing,this game was amazing :]
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My TFF Family:
    * My Awesome Older Brother, Judge Magistrate :]
    * Illusion :]
    * Cait Sith :]
    * My Sweet,Caring,Older Sister angelmarie190515 :]
    * My FF Twin, nickness89 :]
    * My Favorite Australian Cousin, NikkiLinkle :]
    * My Long Lost Cousin, Hero without a Name :]

***98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Actually FireFly, FFIX is one of the FF games you can have the least amount of random battles in.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

All is One.One is All. What DIDN'T you like about this game? Firefly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    Actually FireFly, FFIX is one of the FF games you can have the least amount of random battles in.
    Ahh, well I guess its just me then
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My TFF Family:
    * My Awesome Older Brother, Judge Magistrate :]
    * Illusion :]
    * Cait Sith :]
    * My Sweet,Caring,Older Sister angelmarie190515 :]
    * My FF Twin, nickness89 :]
    * My Favorite Australian Cousin, NikkiLinkle :]
    * My Long Lost Cousin, Hero without a Name :]

***98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

No I know what you mean. My 2nd time every playing the game, I got a lot of Random Battles.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

the older FF's take the cake for random encounters, been replaying FFIV and every other footstep is a random battle sometimes, gets right on my tits

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    the older FF's take the cake for random encounters, been replaying FFIV and every other footstep is a random battle sometimes, gets right on my tits
    Thanks for the mental image.

pert, too!

I didn't like how a trance turn could be wasted on a potion. Once you hit trance, the next 3 turns have to be a special otherwise it's wasted. That's SOME BULLSHIT.

Also, I agree with Firefly. The first time I played, IX felt like it had a redonkulous amount of random battles. The only other game that feels as if it has a high encounter rate is IV DS. ATB also felt slow as hell to me at first.

I also dislike that you're missing half of your characters after saving Dagger and once you get them back they're g*ddamn level 12. WTF were they doing the whole time? I wish they had dragged over the "level up while not in the party" thing from VII to VIII and IX.
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 07-23-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Balaclavas on...let's go shopping!! What DIDN'T you like about this game? nickness89's Avatar

I agree with Trance. It was quite good, mainly because regular attack damage was (for me anyway) quadrupled. But the fact it would activate when I had already selected my turns used to piss me off. I think that only Trance actions shoul have depleted the Trance bar.

I also didn't like the tiny amounts of experience most enemies gave. I had to farm for literally AGES to level up to the above 60's.

Other than that, it's one of my faves :')
    Favourite Lyric For Now:

"Don't be insecure if your heart is pure,
    You're still good to me if you're a Bad Kid, baby."

Lady Gaga

MY LOVING TFF FAMILY

TFF WIFEY - angelmarie190515
    MY FF TWIN - Firefly

TFF STEP-HUSBAND-IN LAW - Gilgamesh~Enkidu

BESTEST FRIEND - Judge Magistrate
    IRISHMAN IN THE PUB JOKES - seanb
    CANADIAN FRIEND - R.Kyra
    FELLOW SCOTSMAN - Aerif
    AUSSIENESS - NikkiLinkle

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Magistrate View Post
    I don't like Zidane, I know, he's the main character, but he annoys me.
    Funny I didn't really like Squall or Cloud.

Balaclavas on...let's go shopping!! What DIDN'T you like about this game? nickness89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FF9isthebest
    Funny I didn't really like Squall or Cloud.
    Me neither. Cloud was too self-destructive for my liking, and was easily manipulated. Squall was just a big fat emo

I thought Zidane was ok, although could be pretty annoying with his constant optimism

Another thing I didn't like about IX ... Amarant's hair
    Favourite Lyric For Now:

Lady Gaga

MY LOVING TFF FAMILY

MY FF TWIN - Firefly

CANADIAN FRIEND - R.Kyra
    FELLOW SCOTSMAN - Aerif
    AUSSIENESS - NikkiLinkle

Registered User What DIDN'T you like about this game?

I didn't like that once the Iifa Tree's roots pop up, you can't get back to Conde Petie... I liked talking to those NPCs there. They made me laugh. As far as gameplay mechanics go, I'd have to agree with the Trance system. Kind of sucks that it can be wasted so easily.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    I didn't like that once the Iifa Tree's roots pop up, you can't get back to Conde Petie... I liked talking to those NPCs there. They made me laugh. As far as gameplay mechanics go, I'd have to agree with the Trance system. Kind of sucks that it can be wasted so easily.
    Yeah. Not just Conde Petie, either. Alot of places get blocked off and it sucks. I hate when they do that in Final Fantasy games, like how they did in The After Years in the final chapter.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth What DIDN'T you like about this game? Xanatos's Avatar

As others have already mentioned, trance system was poorly done, then again the game was fairly easy so there was no need for damage breaking limit breaks as in Final Fantasy VIII.

Other than that, I hated that annoying little brat Eiko.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by nickness89 View Post
    Me neither. Cloud was too self-destructive for my liking, and was easily manipulated. Squall was just a big fat emo

I thought Zidane was ok, although could be pretty annoying with his constant optimism

Another thing I didn't like about IX ... Amarant's hair
    I'd rather listen to constant optimism than constant negativity...

Quote Originally Posted by FF9isthebest
    I'd rather listen to constant optimism than constant negativity...
    Yeah, but it's unrealistic though. I'd prefer an equal mix, like someone with the whole spectrum of human emotion (maybe not the whole spectrum, but a helluva lot of it ).
    Favourite Lyric For Now:

Lady Gaga

MY LOVING TFF FAMILY

MY FF TWIN - Firefly

CANADIAN FRIEND - R.Kyra
    FELLOW SCOTSMAN - Aerif
    AUSSIENESS - NikkiLinkle

Quote Originally Posted by nickness89 View Post
    Yeah, but it's unrealistic though. I'd prefer an equal mix, like someone with the whole spectrum of human emotion (maybe not the whole spectrum, but a helluva lot of it ).
    I agree, sometimes life needs to hit people hard, but FF9 wasn't quite as bad a world as FF7's or FF8's... Its what happens later that messes with everyone, Zidane had his emo point, in Garlands world. He said some pretty mean stuff.

Not to mention Kuja is Zidanes bro, must be some kind of angst inside there, perhaps Zidane acts overly positive as a front. I'm kinda more interested in people who are willing to overcome adversity and keep being smug, charismatic, and overpowering with their emotions, that's how people get power, by using people with charisma.

Shake it like a polaroid picture What DIDN'T you like about this game? RagnaToad's Avatar

There are just 2 things I disliked about my favourite Final Fantasy. The Trance system and its utter uselessness, and the fact that every random battle took so long to acutally start. Almost 15 seconds, which is about 5 seconds longer than in FF VII and it's a bit longer than in VIII I'm sure.

I have no idea why they made the start of random battles longer.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Killer love song what a BLAST! What DIDN'T you like about this game? TerraWham's Avatar

lol @ amarants hair first but second

around a certain part in the game i think end disc 2 or something the story changed dramaticly. and i never got why garnet wanted to go alone...

and the ending was disappointing i was hoping zidane would be a secret swordsman or something that would be cool.

LOL AT SEEING ZIDANE IN DISSIDIA I THOUGHT HE WAS NORMAL SIZE!!

Shake it like a polaroid picture What DIDN'T you like about this game? RagnaToad's Avatar

Wtf is a secret swordsman?

Killer love song what a BLAST! What DIDN'T you like about this game? TerraWham's Avatar

i have noooooooo idea but it sounds cool ?

Passing fair judgement What DIDN'T you like about this game? Judge Magistrate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaToad View Post
    Wtf is a secret swordsman?
    A secret swordsman is a swordsman that is secret lol.
    None shall escape judgement, all shall fall by my blade.

My TFF family
    EveVanilla
    Firefly-The Greatest Little Sister Ever
    Ruin-My bro working in the military
    Nickness89-My brother from another mother
    angelmarie190515-My mentor and greatest older sister
    A Hero without a Name- My brother in arms
    Raven Zecht-Herald of what is to come
    LadyWinchester-The mistress of light and dark

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by TerraWham View Post
    i have noooooooo idea but it sounds cool ?
    I must admit that much.

What I disliked is that most of the amazing songs of the game (especially Protect my Devotion and You're not alone!) are only heard for a short while, and even if you do make another save file to re-hear them as many times as you like, you still have to go trhough 5-10 minutes of gameplay to hear them. Fortunately, internet exist, but it's still cooler to hear them in-game.

And to all people out there complaining about trance: When did you genuinely need it? The only time it truly saved my behind was againts Ark (I dind't have Clear headed on all character at that point) and Necron (because I forgot to remove Level up and Ability up for more status imunity abilities). Otherwise, it's just cool, but not really useful, especially with the many easy way of dealing 9999 damage (Steiner's Shock, Freya's Dragon Crest, Zidane's Theivery, Dagger's Ark summon, Vivi and Eiko's Carbunckle + Cast magic own all teamate combo, just to name a few)

I will save the world What DIDN'T you like about this game? Hero without a Name's Avatar

My favorite dislike in the game would be......I think having your party scattered for most of the game. For myself, and this is kind of a stupid reason but with like ff7 and ff8, if out of nowhere I decide I want to change a character. I have the ability to do that, you can do that in ff9, but not till way later in the game, though besides that. I liked this game a lot, I could knick pick at a few things, but overall I'd give it a 9/10...get it 9, ff9 lol

"I may save the world, but you'll never know why"

My TFF Family

Judge Magister Brother in Arms: To give peace to the world and look cool doing it

Firefly: Baby cousin To spread joy to all who read the forums

The_Dream_Recluse: Witty brother with a sweet sword

Bailiax: My star stealing sister who lives in the beautiful deep sea.

Chocobo_Lover 17- Sister who is breeding my army of chocobos

Lion Heart: Gunblade hero under our hero clan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast