Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Bout Amarant?

Pig Spot ... Shut Up ... Wait ... What Bout Amarant? tre skills's Avatar

Question What Bout Amarant?

okay ive seen some threads and all they talk bout is vivi, dagger and Zidane and dont really tlk bout other characters.

I liked him how he wanted to compete with zidane in stuff. So its bringing in a rivalry which i think is great.

I Havent seen anyone at all say anything bout Amarant so im asking why?
    so did you guys like him?
    [Fav FF: IX & X ]

[Currently Playing: FF X-2]

[Final Fantasy's Beaten: FF VI (snes) - FF IX - FF X]

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth What Bout Amarant? Xanatos's Avatar
    If you are asking why are there no threads about Amarant well then the only reason I could think of is that he isn't a popular character. I mean he barely has some sort of story and he looks kinda bizarre.
    Don't get me wrong personally I find him useful in the game and I like that he's quiet. At least he's not annoying like Eiko. But I have a felling that SquareEnix has devoted much more time to the other characters and that's one of reasons he isn't much popular.

The Original Moogle Knight What Bout Amarant? coombsy1989's Avatar
    He's just not a major player in the plot. You can almost take Amarant out and the story of the game would still run the same. Plus he's introduced to the party reasonably late on so he's just not as popular.

I didn't really like him. But I didn't hate him either. >3
    As coombsy said, he wasn't an important character. Moreover, he just appeared when Zidane took responsibility and let himself lead by his heart. Then Amarant suddenly appears and says: "Hey, Zidane, I don't understand you. I'll go with you to find out why you do things the way you do." And I thought: Okay. O.o" If you are satisfied then...
    Don't get me wrong, this might sound very ironic. He was an interesting character. I liked the story of him being a criminal although he wasn't one. x3" But he was just a side character for me. Perhaps that's because I didn't really use him. He was very quiet in my game - he didn't even get the chance to say something. x3"

Tsuna Feesh What Bout Amarant? Fate's Avatar
    I didn't like Amarant. In fact, unlike Freya (the member who posted above me, not the character in the game, the goddess in Valkyrie Profile, or the one in Norse mythology), I actually hated him. Sure, he had some useful abilities and all, but I just hated his personality. He's always so rude, reckless, and so sure of his abilities, but apparently, he got his ass kicked by Zidane!^^ And more times than not, I pick characters based on how I think of them and their character, not because of their abilities. Hell, Eiko was about the best healer in the game, but she annoyed me, so I refused to use her at all!

Curiosity Conquers, So Click:

*Yesha*; -Balthier-; Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus; Azuteor; Black Waltz; Clint Eastwood; Dark Angel; Dodie16; ethan; Flaming Ragnarok; Insufficient Mage; Kilala; LIGHTNING_71013; Lunasa; Mallick; Meigumi; Messiah; Padraic; PurpleDiamond; RamesesII; Shiru; Silver; Unknown Entity; ViviMasterMage; winterborn86

If you'd like a place in my family, be sure to ask me~! ^ ~

Captain What Bout Amarant? scifi1980's Avatar
    Im have always been kinda suprised that the majority dislike Amarant. You'd think standard fanism would latch onto the quite badass. I didn't care for him because of his personality and he's almost always standing with his back to the camera and he's got hair covering his damn face. I like Freya alot more and think she gets dumped on a little too much, but again, we never do get a good CGI clear shot of her face, it's always kinda hidden. Well, the story is all about Zidane, Vivi, Steiner and Garnet, with the rest standing in the backround mostly.

Oh Boy! What Bout Amarant? Lavos's Avatar
    Armarant is just there. that is it. If you used him, great. If not, so what.

Something else that bugs me. Why is it when u see the FMV shots of the characters and a saying or whatever, what FMV is Armarant's from?!

FINISH HIM!

Pig Spot ... Shut Up ... Wait ... What Bout Amarant? tre skills's Avatar
    i know he isnt important i was bored so i made a thread hahaha
    flaming ranga rok ur not making sence....
    [Fav FF: IX & X ]

[Currently Playing: FF X-2]

[Final Fantasy's Beaten: FF VI (snes) - FF IX - FF X]

I want to play a game. What Bout Amarant? Zargabaath's Avatar
    I always found Amarant interesting, he is the "badass" but one thing I've always dislike about his character is his weak magic defense for me in both of my playthroughs. This led me to using other characters, like Freya who is a favourite character story and battle wise. One character in FF IX I would have loved to learn more about is Sir Fratley, now he was ultimate "badass", unfortunately he didn't know it. lol

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Registered User What Bout Amarant?
    He is a pretty good character to have in your party, but as far as an actual character, I think he's pretty average. The chip on his shoulder that he has towards Zidane seems to me like a pretty weird excuse to join the adventure. Other than that, I really didn't see why he wanted to help out in the first place. Granted it has been a while since I've sat down and played IX, so I may be missing some information. However, since I can't remember it, then he probably didn't have that big of an impact anyway.

I thought he was cool in the scene at the Iifa tree when Brahne and Kuja were having thier fight. He tells the party to wait until one finished off the other, and then go ahead and take out the survivor. I thought that was pretty reasonable thinking.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

The thing with Amarant is he is a wanted criminal who is sent out to get the pendent from Garnet and Vivi with Lani but he only agreed to go because he heard Zidane was with her. Now the problem I always saw was that, you never really know who Amarant is until you meet him. SE failed to make any notice of his wanted posters early on in the game when you reach Treno, unless you noticed it but even then you never see him till the scene of Brahne, Lani and him.

Now with Rags statement about his quote at the beginning. I don't think he says it in the game, but the represents him. His way of life was fighting, fighting and fighting. "The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainly," which is mainly saying, you don't know what lies ahead, what the future will bring. You are uncertain at what lies ahead. So his life was just, survive until I can't survive anymore. That is what I think.

Registered User What Bout Amarant?
    im a physical fighter so i use him, i like his abilities too, the part i hate most about the story is that you have to use your magical chars.
    Last edited by ForeverZero89; 08-26-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Registered User What Bout Amarant? Locke4God's Avatar
    Agreed with most, he just comes in so late in the game, and there is almost zero reason for him doing so. He was powerful and fun to use, but he's a toss in character, which is fine. Every game has a couple.

As you said most people talk about Zidane, Garnett, & Vivi, and for obvious reasons. They drive the story. Even Steiner is a bit of an afterthought. He's clearly 4th behind the others.

Then the Rat lady and Eiko are next, and they add a little, but not a ton to story.

Quina was also a toss in like Amarant. Not much going on there.

Che
    Quina was waaaaaaaay more of a character than Amarant. The visiting of Qu's Marsh throughout the game, and etc. She actually had a story and background.

Amarant was just..there. And bleh.

Eiko seemed too young to have any sort of personality at all, and Freiya's story was baller. The part about Sir Fratley got me all emotional.

Registered User What Bout Amarant? Locke4God's Avatar
    You know Che I agree about Quiena and Freya having some story, but when you look at it, it didn't really have much to do with why they were in the party. I mean a game like VII or X, or VI, those characters were all realated to the main issue at hand. All of them. Quina really didn't have anything to do with the main story, but hey, she was fun to use. I liked she ate everything. But yeah, Amarant I think could have had more potential. It just always felt like if they had focussed on him a little more, they could have made his importance a lot bigger.

Freezing Ring! What Bout Amarant? Darkdragoon's Avatar
    Freya and quina had a storyline while they were in your party.
    Freya had a great storyline, so did quina.
    But Garnet had the best storyline of all.
    I also liked eiko's storyline to.
    Most of them had good storyline's.... Not amarant tho...
    He was plain, and boring.
    When i got him i was like: Yay! A ninja!
    But then... I wanted to choke myself...
    Lol not really but... yea

JillXWesker & MeruXDart FTW!

Well you look at it this way.

Freya's story was, Burmecia and Sir Fratley.
    Quina, go eat everything.
    Armarant, mainly had a backstory with Zidane that ended up intertwining with mainly Zidane again.

They all have about the same length of a story line in the game. The game is about Zidane and Garnet, all else just have their little parts.

Amamrant was one of those random "filler" characters. He wasn't a bad character or anything, but I don't think there's much to discuss about him. He didn't do all that much throughout the game. Also there's not that much back story on him either. Not the first time that's happened though. Freya didn't have all that much either, but you go through the whole Burmecia, Cleyra thing with her, also Sir Fratley. Amamrant is just a bounty hunter,who is associated with Lani, and had an incident with Zidaine in Treno. That's pretty much it.
    Last edited by GypsyElder; 10-17-2009 at 02:05 AM.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Postingway What Bout Amarant? Maciariello's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ragnarok View Post
    Armarant is just there. that is it. If you used him, great. If not, so what.

Something else that bugs me. Why is it when u see the FMV shots of the characters and a saying or whatever, what FMV is Armarant's from?!
    That's the same question I had. The image of Amarant with the explosion behind him that's rendered in high-res. Is that an FMV somewhere that I missed or is it purely a still shot to fit with all the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Maciariello View Post
    Is that an FMV somewhere that I missed or is it purely a still shot to fit with all the others?
    The same can be said about Quina's, you don't see his/ hers in the game either. Everyone else's I think is a screen shot from an event in the game.

could be in another verson or something. I have US version.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Waiting for your sister to turn 18 What Bout Amarant? chrono's Avatar
    it is because he is black!!!!! hahahah just kidding

but like the others have stated he is not really an important character when compared to the others. i guess square just did not have much in mind when they made him.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\bit torrents\jiu jitsu\helio.jpg

Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch a movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." -Marcelo Garcia

To fight is a man's instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

Bananarama What Bout Amarant? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Amarant is meant to be a foil for the other characters, much like Steiner is to Zidane. With Steiner being all uptight and bound by duty, Zidane appears THAT much more free spirited and shifty, like a thief. At the same time Steiner appears THAT much more uptight because of Zidane's chill nature.

Amarant is largely there to show how much the rest of the gang cares about their goals and missions. In scenes, Amarant is never facing the speakers and always seems to be slinking away in a corner, not giving a shit. On one hand it makes him look badass, but on the other hand, it makes the rest of the team look like they really truly care about whatever events are unfolding.

At the same time, him and Zidane are foils as well, since Zidane is largely portrayed as caring and compassionate, Amarant makes him look that much more, and Zidane makes him look like that much more of a rogue and a douche. Plus, Zidane also makes him a victim of circumstance on numerous occasions, and then spares his life when he beats him. It further goes to show the differences in their attitudes, since if Amarant won, he would've killed Zidane on the spot. He also shows the whole idea of sometimes you can't do things alone.

Fun fact: he's the only party member in the game that doesn't assume a leadership position (ie, you control him in a party)

He was a pretty good character, and I was a fan. He always kicked some ass for me, and in the end, I got the impression that he wasn't really all that bad. He was a monk and had mostly support skills. What kind of douche is a monk and a healer?
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Vivi What Bout Amarant? ViveLaVive's Avatar
    I agree 100%. I partly think the devs could have expanded on his character a little bit. He came in late, an he could have had more a back story, but the idea of a tough, strong-headed man against a runty, spunky teenageer.

Re: What Bout Amarant?

Amarant wasn't a bad party member per say. In fact his Chakra and Aura abilities were kind of useful.

Character wise, I didn't find him too appealing. I was hoping for him to have a deeper back story like everyone else did in the game. Hell, even Quina had a bigger part in the story through bieng the student of a student of Vivi's grandfather.

The Lone Dagger What Bout Amarant? Xithor's Avatar

I actually liked Amarant for the short time that he was in the game really. Plus recently through my last play through I found it interesting when you return to Treno for the card tournament an ATB reveals an interesting facet about his past.

SPOILER!!:
    The ATB is of when Amarant and Freya were talking about why he became the wanted man that he is and it turns out that Zidane stole something from the auction and when the guards came running out after him Zidane pinned the theft on Amarant because the guards hadn't seen the thief and weren't aware that Amarant was in fact working as a new guard. Thus that explains why Amarant was trying to figure out why it was that Zidane beat him. I think Zidane said something like, "The battle doesn't always go to the strongest" or something just before yelling that Amarant was the thief.

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

Registered User What Bout Amarant? NeoAquarius12's Avatar

I always keep him in my final party because of his high attack and support abilities. Chakra anyone? He's sweet. But story wise, he could've been more involved. But for being half ginger, he's pretty useful.

Registered User What Bout Amarant? Zidane77's Avatar

I didn't like that much, i wanted Lani or Beatrix instead of him and he could've been a temp character instead

But yeah he didn't have much story except one connection to Zidane's past.
    I didn't use that much either, he's not a bad fighter and has good support abilities but his trance sucks and i prefer using Steiner or Freya.
    Last edited by Zidane77; 08-04-2010 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane77 View Post
    I didn't like that much, i wanted Lani or Beatrix instead of him and he could've been a temp character instead

But yeah he didn't have much story except one connection to Zidane's past.
    I didn't use that much either, he's not a bad fighter and has good support abilities but his trance sucks and i prefer using Steiner or Freya.

His trance is one of the best. Chakra used on everyone in one turn? Same with ALL his other spells? Amarant is insane in trance mode. No Mercy in Trance just destroys everything.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Registered User What Bout Amarant? Zidane77's Avatar

Well ok it's good but only for 2 turns wasn't it?
    But you're right, i take back the trance thing

Amarant is a pretty cool character I like his bitchin around with Freya that is pretty funny and his abilitie like throw are cool too. Not my fave character but a good one none the less!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast