Thread: father and son

father and son

am i right sayin that laguna and squall are father and son?Iv heard it said before by other people and they so look alike.However i can't seem to find any proof.Can anybody clear this issue up for us please?also if laguna is squalls dad we would assume that raine would be his mother correct?

.............. father and son smurphy's Avatar

Re: father and son

There is no concrete evidence in the game but I think personally that all signs point to that being the case. Moombas refer to Squall as Laguna and they can recognise beings by their blood, so that points to that same conclusion. As well as that Squall is always Laguna in the dreamworld. Theres several other pointers but I forget them for the moment.

It would be the ideal outcome if that was the case as the relationship between Squall and Rinoa reflects the short relationship that their parents( Laguna and Julia) had as shown in the first dream sequence. And yes I would think that would point to Raine being Squalls mother.
    Last edited by smurphy; 12-14-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Sparkly Beanie Baby of Doom! father and son Tallulah's Avatar

If you talk to Laguna and co on the Ragnarok before you go to the Lunatic Pandora, Kiros will say he has his mother's eyes, and that Ward thinks it's lucky he's nothing like his father. Another subtle clue that they know who Squall's father is, i.e. their closest friend, Laguna!

Otherwise, there's nothing obvious in the game, but I think it has been stated in the Ultimania guides in Japan that this is the case.
    "...For the stronger we our houses do build,
    The less chance we have of being killed." ~ William Topaz McGonagall (1830-1902)

The British Guy. father and son Robbo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mhmm i only thought about this for a short while then i just left the idea. I thought that the Moombas had said Squall as Laguna because Laguna helped them out a lot and due to Ellone's power Squall had picked up traits of Laguna.

As for the argument about the dream with Squall being Laguna you couldn't take Squall out of the party if you wanted too and same goes for Laguna.

Something else that put me off the idea was that they were nothing alike at all other than they were both Leaders they didnt really look a like, they had different personalities and Laguna held the Gunblade like Seifer. I actually think this idea wouldv'e been helped a lot if they did instinctive things the same way e.g. Holding the Gunblade or the way they neutrally stand ( Squall was more straight and military whereas Laguna stood with his legs like spread apart.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin
    Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Elder
    Melibooyah says:
    Uggh bbl everyone is blowing me uo and I have to do my homework -_-
    Typo's change everything ^

The fact that Squall only looks like Laguna a little bit is a fair point but in my opinion Squall resembles Raine quite a bit as well as resembling Laguna a little. And regarding the posture and other things of both it bears remembering Squall is someone who took everything quite seriously, especially his training so his posture and the way he handles the gunblade reflect this, whereas Laguna was more of a free spirit and was more likely to halfarse most things.
    Winston S.Churchill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    The fact that Squall only looks like Laguna a little bit is a fair point but in my opinion Squall resembles Raine quite a bit as well as resembling Laguna a little. And regarding the posture and other things of both it bears remembering Squall is someone who took everything quite seriously, especially his training so his posture and the way he handles the gunblade reflect this, whereas Laguna was more of a free spirit and was more likely to halfarse most things.
    I didnt think Raine and Squall looked that alike either.

Also the think you said about the training lets not forget Laguna also went through some military training when he was in the Galbadian army and even then he still stood in the same way.

(Thanks for posting i'm extremely bored.)
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Melibooyah says:

Im not trying to belittle your argument but after thinking about it, any point about gunblades are nulled. Seifer held his like he did as the handle was perpendicular to the blade, whereas the handle on Squalls was at an angle of about 30 degrees, making it difficult to hold with one hand. As we dont see the type Laguna holds, only that he holds one I dont think any conclusions should be drawn from the gunblades.
    Winston S.Churchill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    Im not trying to belittle your argument but after thinking about it, any point about gunblades are nulled. Seifer held his like he did as the handle was perpendicular to the blade, whereas the handle on Squalls was at an angle of about 30 degrees, making it difficult to hold with one hand. As we dont see the type Laguna holds, only that he holds one I dont think any conclusions should be drawn from the gunblades.
    In various non playable parts of the game Squall unsheathes his Gunblade with one hands swings it then in his neutral position puts 2 hands on it. Also in most of his limit breaks he uses one hand throughout. Whereas Squall doesn't hold it one handed in his neutral position (although evidence shows he could). Your point about us not knowing what gun hilt Laguna has isnt an argument for or against because we dont know so from that bit of evidence it could've been like Seifer's or Squall's.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Melibooyah says:

And as well as that, things such as posture et al are not necessarily genetic( yes I know, I am going a bit deep considering the simple question before us). Squall did not have Laguna in his childhood and was unable to emulate things such as this which aren't necessarily inherited genetically.

Im going to try and summarize the events if we assume Squalls parents are Laguna and Raine. Feel free to point out any mistakes or inconsistencies. Laguna washes up. Is nursed to health in Winhill by Raine and repays the debt by patrolling the village as all the men are in the army. Ellone is kidnapped by Esthar soldiers. Laguna chases after her. During this time Raine finds out she is pregnant. Ellone is rescued but leaves for Winhill ahead of Laguna who stays behind to overthrow Adel. Sometime after Ellone arrives Raine gives birth but dies because of it. Ellone and the newborn(Squall) are sent to the orphanage together which results in Squalls close emotional ties to Ellone.
    Anything wrong or missing?
    Winston S.Churchill

Blog Entries

My argument was why i didnt have the theory in mind when i was playing the game and that the posture and things could've helped in noticing it.

But when you piece the story together as you just have it seems obvious. I suppose its harder to pick up subtle things in longer RPG games as you dont complete it in one or 2 days(well i never do) so its easy to forget the small details that at that time mean nothing to the story.
    CPC8... Makin' it happen

Ruin says
    someone fart in my eye
    Melibooyah says: