Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A sequel to FF9?

A sequel to FF9?

I know it probably wouldn't happen, but I don't see why not.... I'd buy it.

I know a lot of other people would probably buy it as well.

Registered User A sequel to FF9?

Re: A sequel to FF9?

I read something kind of interesting a while back in relation to a sequel:

SOURCE
    Before he dies, Kuja states that the Iifa Tree would now begin a cataclysmic destruction of Gaia, however, by the length of Garnet's hair in the ending scene and the fact that Alexandria had been fully repaired, several years have passed and the planet is still there. Kuja may have been bluffing, or this "Cataclysmic Destruction" may take a long time. Hironobu Sakaguchi stated that #9 was the one to which he himself wanted to make a sequel, due to the obvious cliffhanger of the story not remotely being over yet
    I must have missed it when Kuja said that, because I don't remember reading that for some reason. I also thought things wrapped up pretty well at the end of the game, but now I'm curious as to what Sakaguchi had in mind for a potential sequel.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

You don't get to know what happens with the Lifa Tree at the end of the game.

It's only like, 1 year from final boss fight to final scene in game.

My only question for a sequel is, who and what.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth A sequel to FF9? Xanatos's Avatar

There was a time when I would give anything for another tale in world of Final Fantasy IX, not anymore though. I honestly couldn't stand another X-2 game, and knowing Square that's exactly what would happen.

Maybe if Hironobu Sakaguchi was working on it, seeing as it's his favorite game in franchise he would put more effort to it, otherwise, as long as there's even a slight chance that my image of Final Fantasy IX may be ruined sequel is not an option.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み A sequel to FF9? ZantetsukeN's Avatar

FFIX does not need a sequal in any way. I think IX was the only one with no major plotholes to exploit with a sequel, so making one would be pointless and would drive fans away like it has with others in the series.

I think you're wrong there Zant. The game ends with a what if factor, is Gaia still safe? When is Zidane going to parish? Every other FF game before IX ended with a happy ending (not including VII, VII has all that other crap), that pretty much sealed the deal.

Playing all the FF games before PS2, IX is the one to make a sequel for.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    I think you're wrong there Zant. The game ends with a what if factor, is Gaia still safe? When is Zidane going to parish? Every other FF game before IX ended with a happy ending (not including VII, VII has all that other crap), that pretty much sealed the deal.

Playing all the FF games before PS2, IX is the one to make a sequel for.
    I never thought of it that way. I suppose in that case a sequel is possible, it's just a matter of how to pull it off.

It's just, with Squeenix's track record of FF sequels, I think fans would switch off from FFIX. IX has a pretty hardcore fanbase to begin with, so a sequel would need to be done in the correct way.

One bad sequel...and everyone thinks they will destroy all the others.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Registered User A sequel to FF9? winterborn86's Avatar

I can't see a need for a a second game or spin off. To me thing things seemed pretty wrapped up by the end of the game, but in the world of fantasy, a new evil will often turn up somewhere so who knows.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

One bad sequel...and everyone thinks they will destroy all the others.
    To be honest, I like most, if not all the sequels to previous FF games, but I know others feel that way. It is a shame because some of the sequels have been great, like Dirge Of Cerberus imo.

Registered User A sequel to FF9? Zidane77's Avatar

I want a sequel if Hironobu does it, but it would have to be masterpiece like the first one.
    Even better than Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts (which i think is the best new games).

TFF's Resident Messenger A sequel to FF9? Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A sequel to FF9?

I think a sequel to Final Fantasy 9 would be welcomed by fans. I would want Amarant Coral to be one of the main characters (possibly lead). Everyone is saying how his character was introduced too late in the game, this could be his story to prove to the world what kind of person he is. Other characters I would like to have as party members would be:

Eiko Carol: I would say Garnet, but she has the whole Queen thing going on, and the game would need a summoner. I bet she would have grown up into quite a pretty lady in the years since FF9.

One of the Vivi Babies: A black mage is necessary. The story could even be about the lengthening of a Black Mage's life, or a hidden power to extend their life.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Anyway, I would definitely buy a copy of the sequel if they were to make one.

Registered User A sequel to FF9? Zidane77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Swayne View Post
    I think a sequel to Final Fantasy 9 would be welcomed by fans. I would want Amarant Coral to be one of the main characters (possibly lead). Everyone is saying how his character was introduced too late in the game, this could be his story to prove to the world what kind of person he is. Other characters I would like to have as party members would be:

Eiko Carol: I would say Garnet, but she has the whole Queen thing going on, and the game would need a summoner. I bet she would have grown up into quite a pretty lady in the years since FF9.

One of the Vivi Babies: A black mage is necessary. The story could even be about the lengthening of a Black Mage's life, or a hidden power to extend their life.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Anyway, I would definitely buy a copy of the sequel if they were to make one.

Haha that's some interesting ideas, i wouldn't mind having it that way

You don't get to know what happens with the Lifa Tree at the end of the game.

It's only like, 1 year from final boss fight to final scene in game.

My only question for a sequel is, who and what.
    I think it should be several decades after 9, and it should revolve around Garnet and Zidanes future kids. And possibly Steiner and Beatrix, and Eiko could be older and wiser than the other party members. Not sure how Dagger and Zidane would play out this time but I'm thinking potentially possessed antagonists. To tell you the truth it was the world and settings I liked best, they could make completely new characters in the same world for all I care.

The Lone Dagger A sequel to FF9? Xithor's Avatar

IX is definitely one of the Final Fantasies that I would love to see a sequel too and I think they left it open enough to have reason for a sequel. Is Gaia safe? What was Zidane doing for the years that he was gone? (I say years because of the length that Garnet's hair was during the last FMV compared to what it looked like when they left the Iifa Tree) You now would have Vivi's son's, the Steiner/Beatrix relationship, and Garnet is now Queen, is Zidane the new king? I'd be so excited to learn some of the answers to those questions.

I am kinda hesitant about the FF XIII sequel but I most likely will buy it to see how they are gonna do it.

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

Registered User A sequel to FF9? Locke4God's Avatar

NO MORE SEQUELS!

Seriously, the best part of this series was that every game was independant, and it's kinda sad a little that every game has 4 and 5 parts, with action tie ins and movies and all sorts of stuff. i really liked when each game was just what it was. Maybe a sequel as an anniversary type of gimic every now and then, but now that each title is entirely sequel based, I just think it gets away from waht the series was all about.

Registered User A sequel to FF9? BDub2277's Avatar

I kinda have split feelings on this, as a fan of IX yeah I always want more, but squares track record of direct sequels has been meh. Kinda want to see how XIII-2 does, and if they are moving i the right direction.

Banned A sequel to FF9? IdiotWithHair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    I honestly couldn't stand another X-2 game,
    What about a XIII-2?

I would be whole-heartedly open to a FF IX sequel, so long as it didn't suck. I would want the main character to be Quina, because really, s/he didn't have much character shown throughout the game aside from a constant desire to eat. Also, as has been pointed out in Locke4God's "Who is the best character in FF9?" thread, s/he is like the best fighter in the game. Vivi should be his/her sidekick.

TFF's Resident Messenger A sequel to FF9? Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotWithHair View Post
    What about a XIII-2?

I would want the main character to be Quina, because really, s/he didn't have much character shown throughout the game aside from a constant desire to eat. Vivi should be his/her sidekick.
    I have to disagree with you on this. Quina's language skills are probably not something a player would want to deal with for an entire game. I agree that Quina can kick some serious butt, but focusing an entire game on him/her would not get me to play it. As for Vivi being a sidekick, as much as I love his character, that might be hard as well. It is unconfirmed, but the general concensus is that Vivi died at the end (Due to the whole "stopping" thing). Although you don't see him actually die, players were given the impression that he is no longer with us.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Ya know, I'm disappointed. The entire series was all about not having direct sequels. When they did X2, I was ok, because it was a bit of a special case with 10 being somewhat of a milestone number. But now so many fans are excited for the oodles of sequels that come out? The series used to pride itself on not having sequels, so why has the fan base suddenly done a 180?

I wouldn't mind seeing a well done prequel, something in manner of Crisis Core which in humble opinion was better than VII itself. They have more than enough material for it, focusing on Zidane, Marcus, Blank, Tantalus group in other words, would be the best option, Madain Sari's downfall perhaps, more on Garland, and Terra's history...

You know I think wanting these sequels is actually hurting the series.

WHY?

Because instead of putting all of their effort and energy into a good main title, they're more worried about how many sequels and spin offs they can generate, even in the planning stages, which is what hurts the main title.
    Last edited by Locke4God; 04-17-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Banned A sequel to FF9? IdiotWithHair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Swayne View Post
    I have to disagree with you on this. Quina's language skills are probably not something a player would want to deal with for an entire game. I agree that Quina can kick some serious butt, but focusing an entire game on him/her would not get me to play it. As for Vivi being a sidekick, as much as I love his character, that might be hard as well. It is unconfirmed, but the general concensus is that Vivi died at the end (Due to the whole "stopping" thing). Although you don't see him actually die, players were given the impression that he is no longer with us.
    I don't know what you're referring to. I could always understand what Quina was trying to say. It usually involve food in some way. That Quina sure was a voracious eater!

I like the sequels to the main numbered games. In fact, I think all of the main entries should have at least three spin off games, like they're already doing/have done with Final Fantasy 7 and 13. Milk that cash cow, baby!

Resident Saint Seiya fanboy A sequel to FF9? Leon's Avatar
    Anywhere I want to live. Wonderful, is it not?
    Blog Entries

I'll definitely play a IX sequel if they made it, as long as it doesn't ruin its predecessor's image. As for you naysayers (namely Locke), I have this question. Look at XIII. Took about four years to make, right? Look at how linear it is. I'm sure there are better games out there that didn't take that long to make and release.

SE's newer titles don't draw my attention (except Dissidia), but that's just me. A sequel for FFIX, however, doesn't sound so bad since a lot of fans probably want to know what really happened to Vivi.

If they do make it, I hope it answers some questions. And personally, I want to see Kuja be brought back to life or something and work together with our heroes. Pretty much like Golbez in the After Years.
    Please read the poetry from two great friends of mine. May they find peace.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

I wouldn't mind seeing a well done prequel, something in manner of Crisis Core which in humble opinion was better than VII itself. They have more than enough material for it, focusing on Zidane, Marcus, Blank, Tantalus group in other words, would be the best option, Madain Sari's downfall perhaps, more on Garland, and Terra's history...
    That would be a great story to use as a spring board for a possible sequence. I really enjoyed getting to control Blank and Marcus so having the group Tantalus under my control would be awesome. But after Zidane came back he would be the King of Alexandria wouldn't he? Idk if he'd still be travelling around with Tantalus.

Wanna Know More:

My latest videos:
    Naruto - Way Away

Quote Originally Posted by Xithor View Post
    That would be a great story to use as a spring board for a possible sequence. I really enjoyed getting to control Blank and Marcus so having the group Tantalus under my control would be awesome. But after Zidane came back he would be the King of Alexandria wouldn't he? Idk if he'd still be travelling around with Tantalus.
    I mentioned Tantalus group, some other events as well, as possible material for prequel, not sequel, the part before the main events of Final Fantasy IX.

Registered User A sequel to FF9? BDub2277's Avatar

I think either a prequel or sequel could work for IX there's material for both, however I do think a prequel would have more going for it as you guys have said with the Tantalus crew as well as Maidain Sari with Dagger's mother possibly?

FF9 was quite popular back in the days of the first Playstation and even today people are still playing it. A sequel to FF9? I don't see why not. I can see what you guys mean if they were to make a sequel, then they should be spending that time on creating a main title. Though I'd definitely buy it if it were to be made.

I mentioned Tantalus group, some other events as well, as possible material for prequel, not sequel, the part before the main events of Final Fantasy IX.
    Ah sorry for misinterpreting that you had said prequel instead or sequel. Getting to control Zidane and the Tantalus group would be a fantastic prequel idea. After Square has done several "prequels", those being Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, I think they would be able to do a good job with it. I'd buy that prequel.

Wanna Know More:

My latest videos:
    Naruto - Way Away

zidaneffixtribal

im sure its possible to make a sequel or prequel to ffix, but i just cant see how. i understand the stories you're all getting at with tantalus and maiden sari, but i cant see a base story line to come out of it. if anything, i would think of showing Kuja's story of when Zidane was made but even then i have trouble thinking it all out. Another possibility is Vivi's story. My point is, i definatly choose Prequel over Sequel but i dont think either one will happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast