Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A sequel to FF9?

Registered User A sequel to FF9? Locke4God's Avatar

Re: A sequel to FF9?

I'm telling you, we're getting these thin stories and plots and characters nowadays because you people who want spinoffs and sequels are splitting the development talent up.

If you're buying these side games, you're hurting the quality of the main series. Please stop.

No. God no. FF9 is a stand alone. A sequel would just complicate things too much. Even a prequel about Zidane or Armerant would not sit right. The story came in, gave back stories where needed, said what needed to be said, did what needed done, and closed up nicely. If it could be the perfect sequel, it would be the greatest game ever. But there is very little to go by. The Iifa Tree? That may have been stopped with Necron (there are theories that Necron worked with Sooulcage, stopping Gaia souls while Soulcage supplemented Terra souls, maybe Necron is Soulcage's spirit). It is still pissed, but not wreck all of Gaia pissed: more like wreck anyone nearby. Vivi's kids? That is open to even more theories than Necron and Ozma put together, and one straight answer may send arguments of "well what about this?" Maybe an epilogue, or a short summary, or maybe even a CD Drama (Japan likes those) could finish wrapping things up with a nice bow on top, but a full fledged game is not possible without pulling random facts out of nowhere. It is like a 6 year old's fantasy, filled with "there's this too," and "actually ____ is ____ so ____".

Actually, after reviewing the Final Fantasy IX Ultimania, the Iifa Tree stopped its crazy stage about a week after Zidane went after Kuja, so it even wraps that up. Necron was described in the guide as being created from Kuja's negative emotions of fear, anger, and hate, just like Necron said. So he then just thinks the zero world is the most logical. He is 'eternal' because there is always emotions like that. Any other plot holes were cleared there.
    Last edited by Lavos; 05-10-2011 at 08:55 PM.

FINISH HIM!

I'll find you, no matter what. A sequel to FF9? FeyLenne13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I too would love to see a squeal to this game to the point I've actually tried to write one of my own. There are so many unanswered questions by the end. Most have been mentioned here, like is Gaia safe? Is Kuja actually dead? Is Vivi dead too? They didn't really answer these I dont recall, but there are more questions too. Like, will Zidane become King of Alexander? He is in love with the Queen but he is, deep down, a free spirited thief. Also, though its role was brief, the Boss at the end of the game promised to return, since he is eternal, and destory those who fought against him. Oh, and there is the cliff hanger in the end where the necklace that is proof of her heritage is knocked from Dagger's neck and she chooses not to go back for it. Does that mean she renounced her title? Will a look alike try and take her place? Or, bigger twist, will the baddie try and use a crystal replica of Dagger to take control of Alexander and finish the war that Kuja started? And then there's Eiko, unruly girl adopted by the Regent and his wife, but will she return to Madain Sari for the moogles? Will the summoner tribe be restored? Wow, I could go on and on.

Trust Me.

Boxer of the Galaxy A sequel to FF9? Rowan's Avatar

I would like to play a sequel. It left a lot of room for a sequel. But the problem I always have is starting off from level 1 again with none of my equipment. Think of X-II , I said to myself "you were doing so much more damage than that with a staff , yuna! and you only manage 80 with a gun??"

I do acknowledge that being the same stregnth from the previous game would take all the fun away from the battle system. Just saying though, haha.

Registered User A sequel to FF9? Diamond Dust's Avatar

Bottom line is that everyone knows that Squeenix is a big cash cow generator and no longer actually gives a cactuars ass about the fans. The magic of the FF industry is all but dead and only a HUGE developer/producer takeover can really save not only the future of the series but the possibility of an interesting remake such as FFIX.

Blog Entries

@ Diamond Dust, what can we, as the fans, do about this? There has to be something.

Trust Me.

Registered User A sequel to FF9? Diamond Dust's Avatar

Fey, the answer I guess is to stop feeding the Squeenix machine with your money. Buying games that are no longer relevant to anything that contained the original sentimentality of what makes a Final Fantasy game. If people continue to buy crap then greedy companies will continue to manufacture it without any consideration for what people actually want, because they (the people) will just blindly sap it up anyway hoping that it might eventually get better.

It'd be nice to see another set of developers and publishers step in. Not so easy to change the whole dynamic when people will always hope to one day be impressed again.
    Last edited by Diamond Dust; 05-25-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Diamond, maybe the answer is when they new game comes out, we rent it or trade around with other fans in the area, try it out to see if our favorite type of storyline is restored then decide whether or not its worth buying. That would stop the over flow of money to the idiots killing our games and we would get to play it too. Surely they would start to do the math and if sales of the new games went down while sales of the old games went up, we would get our point across.

Trust Me.

Blog Entries

i finished my sequel to FF9 so i thought I'd ask this of those who wish to see a sequel to this game, do you think the battle system should change or stay with the classic?

Trust Me.

Final Fantasy Noob! A sequel to FF9? ZenMonkey59's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Locke4God View Post
    You know I think wanting these sequels is actually hurting the series.

WHY?

Because instead of putting all of their effort and energy into a good main title, they're more worried about how many sequels and spin offs they can generate, even in the planning stages, which is what hurts the main title.
    I completely disagree.

A sequel to FFIX would be awesome. I'd buy it...but only if there was no voice acting. I love the voice acting now, but adding voice to characters that had none would ruin it for me.
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX

Final Fantasy Noob! A sequel to FF9? ZenMonkey59's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Locke4God View Post
    If you're buying these side games, you're hurting the quality of the main series. Please stop.
    This is ridiculous.
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX

All is One.One is All. A sequel to FF9? Firefly's Avatar

If they made a sequel or prequel I would buy it without a second thought.Though I see both sides of this topic,IMO..I would like to see a sequel. : )
    ZenMonkey59- A sequel to FFIX would be awesome. I'd buy it...but only if there was no voice acting. I love the voice acting now, but adding voice to characters that had none would ruin it for me.
    I absolutely and totally agree with this!^
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My TFF Family:
    * My Awesome Older Brother, Judge Magistrate :]
    * Illusion :]
    * Cait Sith :]
    * My Sweet,Caring,Older Sister angelmarie190515 :]
    * My FF Twin, nickness89 :]
    * My Favorite Australian Cousin, NikkiLinkle :]
    * My Long Lost Cousin, Hero without a Name :]

***98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by winterborn86 View Post
    I can't see a need for a a second game or spin off. To me thing things seemed pretty wrapped up by the end of the game, but in the world of fantasy, a new evil will often turn up somewhere so who knows.
    Well I don't see why they needed another 10...

Screw you guys, I still want FF9-2 if you don't then stick to playing the same games over and over.

Blog Entries

hey, what about a sequel filling in the year without Zidane? At the end Dagger says it's been a year. What happened to the team while they were apart? What was Zidane doing during that break? It could be a sequel with eight lead characters following everyone until that meeting in Alexandria.

Trust Me.

Registered User A sequel to FF9? AshNStuff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Swayne View Post
    I think a sequel to Final Fantasy 9 would be welcomed by fans. I would want Amarant Coral to be one of the main characters (possibly lead). Everyone is saying how his character was introduced too late in the game, this could be his story to prove to the world what kind of person he is. Other characters I would like to have as party members would be:

Eiko Carol: I would say Garnet, but she has the whole Queen thing going on, and the game would need a summoner. I bet she would have grown up into quite a pretty lady in the years since FF9.

One of the Vivi Babies: A black mage is necessary. The story could even be about the lengthening of a Black Mage's life, or a hidden power to extend their life.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Anyway, I would definitely buy a copy of the sequel if they were to make one.
    I really do like those ideas Depending on how far into the future we're talking, I think that Zidane and Garnet's child should take the place of the mischievous kid. (which you know that if zidane had a kid, it would be pretty bad... lol) and maybe he/she could be a summoner/thief. Idk you can come up with a lot of interesting ideas, because ffIX's characters were all so different. That's what I loved about it

You could send a summon out there to steal some shit for you hahaha
    Last edited by AshNStuff; 07-18-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    They will stop degrading us

Quote Originally Posted by AshNStuff View Post
    I really do like those ideas Depending on how far into the future we're talking, I think that Zidane and Garnet's child should take the place of the mischievous kid. (which you know that if zidane had a kid, it would be pretty bad... lol) and maybe he/she could be a summoner/thief. Idk you can come up with a lot of interesting ideas, because ffIX's characters were all so different. That's what I loved about it

You could send a summon out there to steal some shit for you hahaha
    Yea and bring back most of the characters like Eiko who would be a smart allec little teen with tons of badass summons.

FFIV didn't have any plot holes, and no clifhanger (Golbez clearly says ''goodbye'' to Cecil) Yet they made a sequel (I won't comment on it, since I haven't played it yet) FFIX did have some plotholes after you defeat Necron. It is unsure if Gaia is safe, and seeing as Gaia is being assimilated by Terra AND the fact that we have seen very little of Terra, making a whole new world map wouldn't be one of those case where stuff that makes no sence appear out of thin air in the world map (Golden Sun Dark Dawn, anyone?)

I'd want a FFIX sequel, but only if you still play as the main cast (alongside some new characters, of course)

I will save the world A sequel to FF9? Hero without a Name's Avatar

There were a lot of questions regarding the end of FF9. Would I like to see a sequel? Well that's a coin flip. The ff maniac inside of me would say yes, but at the same time. We've seen what happens to sequals, and I'm actually a fan of FFX-2, but I feel some of the creators will try and overdo it. But then again, as they say it was a year before Zidane and Garnet ran into each other again, what did happen? As we all know Alexandria the castle was badly damaged by the ship controlled by Garland (the name escapes me at the moment), but also ya know what happened at the beginning with everyone, like the past story between Amarant and Zidane, tbh i'd rather see a prequel of the life of everyone else before FFIX

"I may save the world, but you'll never know why"

My TFF Family

Judge Magister Brother in Arms: To give peace to the world and look cool doing it

Firefly: Baby cousin To spread joy to all who read the forums

The_Dream_Recluse: Witty brother with a sweet sword

Bailiax: My star stealing sister who lives in the beautiful deep sea.

Chocobo_Lover 17- Sister who is breeding my army of chocobos

Lion Heart: Gunblade hero under our hero clan

xRinaChan

I think a sequel to Final Fantasy IX would be a good idea. I think there are still some questions left to be answered :/ I think SE could make so much money with sequels/prequels, they just don't notice it (and are afraid of further fails since many people disliked FFX-2)

I'm not desperate to see a sequel (mostly because it would be released on a current-gen console which I can't afford ), but I wouldn't mind an online multiplayer version of Terta Master! It could be on Android and would be lobby-based, so wherever you are you can login, find an opponent and play!

Failing that, I'll pretty much lap up anything that has Steiner and Beatrix in it.

Fantasy

hi everyone, im new here so just wanted to say hi.
    i think they should make a sequel IF and only IF the old producers and directors could make the new one or at least they stop trying to make final fantasy into a cash cow and actually put effort into the game. i really really loved final fantasy 9 and every time i think about it i get all those great feelings of having an amazing time, i think that they should make a sequel with maybe necron or terra or even a new evil threatening the peace on gaia. it could take place a few years later and involve some of the old cast along with some new charachters. i want to see the old style of equiping equipment to learn new moves and abilities and IMHO that was the best system so far. i loved how every charachter had their own roles {well i guess except eiko and garnet} i mean the battle sphere system of ff 10 was ok at first but got really ugly when the charachters could all learn whatever moves they wanted and their was no individuality. there was nothing funner then taking your chocobo and finding treasures from nothing but a small picture and a hint. taking your ship and flying to whatever place in the world you wanted and discovering new and secret places. they have the potential to make one of the best games ever or to destroy the final fantasy 9 fanbase. i have played ff9 probably around 50 times and every time i enjoyed it and everytime i finished it to the fullest with the frog catching and the treasure hunting and all the other fun side quests which have been severly lagging in recent installments. if they made a sequel or even a prequel {and it was still turn based-HATE action based} i would be on it faster then flies on fish. we'll see what happens i really hope for a sequel or prequel

raz44

if there will ever be FF9 sequels, i'd buy 2 copies of it(1 for my collection & 1 for playing)!
    but i dont think it will happen (im hoping though)..

Everyone needs a savior A sequel to FF9? the_savior21's Avatar
    Blog Entries

imo i think that a prequel would be better then a sequel in almost every case of a FF game. People complain now (and by people i mean us) about bland characters from all these stories like XIII (the biggest culprit imo) that it would be so much easier to hit a spinoff as a prequel rather then a sequel. for instance crisis core was an awesome game almost as good as VII itself and it gave so much more to the story of VII if you played it after crisis core.

i think a prequel to X would have been loads better then a sequel and i liked X-2. there were multiple choices that they could have gone about that for instance they could have done a story leading up to the war between zanarkand and bevelle, they could have done something with rikku and the al bhed, wakka and his brother, lulu and one of her failed pilgrimages, kimahri and the troubles he faced with his tribe, the first pilgrimage, braska's pigrimage, i mean the possabilities arent quite limitless but there are still quite a few

with VIII i think a story with laguna and co would be awesome that also being that you find out (and this is just my belief on this subject) that laguna is actually squall's father at the end it would be amazing but thats just me

with IX, as xanatos already pointed out there are a couple different ways they could go. personally i would liked to have seen some more of zidane's past which i dont know exactly how they would do that buut i would like some more backstory on all of the characters, dont get me wrong im not saying there is nothing in IX already just i love knowing everything that i possibly can about characters in my games

this is just my opinion but i think a prequel will always be better then sequel

(these are the three games i know better then then any so this is why i didnt comment on I-VI or even XII because i couldnt really get into them being a bit younger then some of you all with the means that i am just addicted to VII-X and i know just about everything i could have gathered from them)
    Don't look to others for knowledge, this is your story.

PSN: jwitt2123
    be sure to include in the request that you are from
    this forum and also ur username on here, if you intend
    to add me that is thanks

Currently playing
    FFIX- PSP via PSN, COD Black Ops (Zombies) - PS3

Most Played FF = FFVIII
    FF7-12, FF8-28, FF9-12, FFX-23

Every story must have an ending and every story needs a savior

crowrevolution

I would buy anything If it had to do with FFIX. That was my favorite FF in the series. I like it better than VII.

Registered User A sequel to FF9? + Revenant +'s Avatar
    Six feet under...and dragging you down with me

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    There was a time when I would give anything for another tale in world of Final Fantasy IX, not anymore though. I honestly couldn't stand another X-2 game, and knowing Square that's exactly what would happen.

Maybe if Hironobu Sakaguchi was working on it, seeing as it's his favorite game in franchise he would put more effort to it, otherwise, as long as there's even a slight chance that my image of Final Fantasy IX may be ruined sequel is not an option.
    You are correct, sir. Unless Square miraculously gets back all the great minds that made a FF9 possible to begin with, let's leave the memories alone.

Registered User A sequel to FF9? Sheechiibii's Avatar

I don't know. IX isn't one of the games that I ever thought about really wanting a sequel for. There are loose ends though, such as what happened to Kuja, is the Iifa tree going to slowly destroy Gaia and if so how will they stop it? Is Zidane's life very short - how long does he have to live or is there a way to help him, the black mages have the same problems facing them in the future.

Even still, I love the game but have never really wanted a sequel. I wouldn't say no of course and I'd be pretty likely to buy it, but I wouldn't ask for one over newer projects.

Xx..xX

"Everyone was so happy. 'Great job. You did it. You saved us... all.' There were too many smiles to count.
    But now...When I look back... The people who should be here aren't.
    The ones who should be smiling with me aren't here."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2