Thread: Is it just me, or is this game actually really easy?

TFF's Token Imp Is it just me, or is this game actually really easy? Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is it just me, or is this game actually really easy?

With the ability to install PSOne Classics on Vita I recently restarted playing VIII, probably for about the seventh time. It's almost like a pilgrimage that I have to complete every couple of years or something, strange I know. Anyway, I've noticed that even though I'd forgotten a lot of how the game works, I seem to be absolutely running through the game, and I can't grasp how someone might struggle with it - aside from the junctioning that is. Let me explain. (May be spoilers for those not yet playing it.)

I'm at Deling City on Disc 1:-
    > Every character has 2800hp or more.
    > All five GFs I can have at this point.
    > I have 100 stocks of every magic I could draw to this point from monsters.
    > SeeD Level 29.
    > I hit for a minimum of 400 with Squall, and the rest are just below.
    > Life, Status/Time, Fire, Thunder, Ice Magic Refine Abilities.

Aside from the SeeD tests which of course could be looked up on the internet or if you just know the answers from playing it previously, surely I'm very overpowered? And that's just from playing the game the way it teaches you to - You could be where I was with no prior knowledge of the game and with a little patience. Which brings me to my question: Am I only doing that well because I know what I'm doing? Or is it that most peoples' playstyles differ and because of that, everyone views this games' difficulty differently?
    Spoiler:

Care to have a look at my WordPress Journal?

No, it's not just you. I played the first half of the game two times, just because I got stuck and forgot about it when I first wanted to play it. In my "second" play-through, I handled everything completely different from the first time. And I even got past the point I got stuck pretty easily. Ultimecia was a hard one at the end, but the rest was pretty easy, though I've heard that monsters level up like you do. I've never experienced that.

I think the game's easy once you know how to use the junction system. When I first played it, I didn't really draw any spells from enemies. The second time, I did. And then, suddenly, no enemy was hard anymore. Must be the junction system for sure. At least for me.

(But I never cared about my SeeD level, to be honest. I think I even looked most of it up on the internet. *coughs*)

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Is it just me, or is this game actually really easy? Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I think the game's easy once you know how to use the junction system. When I first played it, I didn't really draw any spells from enemies. The second time, I did. And then, suddenly, no enemy was hard anymore. Must be the junction system for sure. At least for me.
    This

I managed to reach Ultimecias castle on my first playthrough, although with great deal of difficulty as I didn't fully understand the junction system at that point and I had like total of 6-7 GFs on which I relied way too much in battle, needless to say I had to start a new playthrough.

As soon as you figure out how to use junction system properly Final Fantasy VIII instantly becomes rather easy.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

TFF's Token Imp Is it just me, or is this game actually really easy? Martin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Update: I'm in the Sewers in Deling City, everyone has 3500hp or more, and my SeeD Rank is 30/A. I don't necessarily think it's just a case of just drawing although that's obviously a large part of it; I think it's more getting AP for my GFs and knowing what abilities come in useful early on. For example, Command Abilities are essentially useless aside from Mug so learning Elem/Stk Atk/Def are more important.

It's just a bit embarrassing to be so strong so early on. Glad to know I wasn't the only one though.

Oh and yes Freya, monsters do level with Squalls' level, hence the ability to LV Up and LV Down that you can learn as Command Abilities with Tonberry (I think it's him?). Personally I've never found any fight that hard on VIII, even a Lv 100 Omega Weapon is easy to take down when you know how
    Spoiler:

I challenge anybody to load up my FFVIII on my PS1 memory card and beat Ultimecia. Good luck, I did that a couple years ago and I was looking at my TV like HOW DID I BEAT THIS GAME IN THE 7TH GRADE.

oh yeah, it was this move called Lionheart.

Once you learn Junction and Cards, the game is pretty simple.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

If you know how to use the Junction System > FF VIII really easy

If you don't or get confused by it's concept > FF VIII is frustrating and quite hard.

Blog Entries
    It's ridiculously easy if you level Squall early on too. I'm able to draw third tier spells and I'm STILL only one half of the way through the second disc. Firaga, Thundaga, Blizzaga and the like.
    Spoiler:

Resident Saint Seiya fanboy Is it just me, or is this game actually really easy? Leon's Avatar
    Anywhere I want to live. Wonderful, is it not?
    Blog Entries
    Yeah it was kinda hard for me on my first file. It wasn't until I reached Ultimecia Castle that I realized I hadn't done enough. Now I'm stuck at the last boss. I rarely get past the second form so I just restarted the game :/
    Please read the poetry from two great friends of mine. May they find peace.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

Blog Entries
    Is it too late to train up? Ultimecia Castle is plenty filled with the nasties that'll help you level up pretty quickly and they all have decent stockable magic.
    Spoiler:

Resident Saint Seiya fanboy Is it just me, or is this game actually really easy? Leon's Avatar
    Anywhere I want to live. Wonderful, is it not?
    Blog Entries
    It depends on how stocked you currently are. Grinding at the castle can be tough. I didn't have the right magic junctioned so I got a Game Over every now and then. I think Curaga is the best spell to junction to you HP, and it's easy to get once you have the money to buy 60 Tents and refine them all into Curagas. Also, Bombs have Meltdown, the best to Junction to your Vitality. Aura is rare, you can only draw t from your final fight against Seifer.
    Please read the poetry from two great friends of mine. May they find peace.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

Blog Entries
    Regen is better than Curaga for HP. I can vouch for that right now, haha. If you draw from every fight you have, chances are you'll get the best. Meltdown is good for VIT and SPR. Holy for STR.
    Spoiler:

All the FF games are pretty easy if you put the time and work into it.