Thread: I'm gonna start it again...

Hewerya love...? I'm gonna start it again... seanb's Avatar

I'm gonna start it again...

I havent played VIII for nearly 2 years,.. I reckon I'm going to have to restart the game to remember all the details from the story, I'd be lost if I was to continue where I left off (which is somewhere on the third disc...)

Would you guys agree? is it worth going back to the start?

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ) I'm gonna start it again... che's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: I'm gonna start it again...

Start over until you're like "oh yeah, I remember." And then continue your old saved, or keep going!

I stream Bloodborne, FFXIV, and occasionally other games.
    http://www.twitch.tv/justwipeitguys

TFF's Resident Messenger I'm gonna start it again... Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Disc 3 makes it tricky. You are so close to the end of the game, and yet you don't remember what happened before. If you didn't want to start the whole thing over, you could always read someone's playthrough guide to catch yourself up in the story.

It depends on what you feel comfortable with. If you know you can catch up quickly or are in the mood to get whatever you may have missed in the first two discs, then I say start over. But if you aren't feeling too excited about it, and just want to be able to say you beat the game again, then I say just pick up where you left off.

It's your call.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Another problem I was having from what I remember with it was I was beginning to struggle in battles, I must not be doing something right, I trained the characters enough, but ive a feeling it could be to do with the junction system, I dont think I ever fully got the hang of that.
    I wouldnt mind going over again, purely for the story, its the leveling etc. that im not keen on repeating, its good to even relive the bits of the story you do and don't remember ..

I had the same problem when playing FFVIII. I lost interest in it when I couldn't beat Cerberus (I didn't realize it was just optional back then ^^"). So I stopped. About a year and a half later I wanted to play it again, but didn't know what happened.
    So I started again. And it was the best decision I made. ^^"
    Somehow I understood the junction system in my second play-through. My characters were strong enough and even time wasn't a problem anymore. I was able to undo all the mistakes I made when first playing it. So, for me, it was a good decision. ^^

You should give it a try. If you don't want to level your characters, just follow the story until you reach the point where you last stopped. Then you can just use the other save file again. :>

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Thanks Freya, looks like thats what I'l do,
    good to know there was someone else who had a similar prob
    I'm lookin forward to it now )

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth I'm gonna start it again... Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seanb View Post
    Another problem I was having from what I remember with it was I was beginning to struggle in battles, I must not be doing something right, I trained the characters enough, but ive a feeling it could be to do with the junction system, I dont think I ever fully got the hang of that.
    I wouldnt mind going over again, purely for the story, its the leveling etc. that im not keen on repeating, its good to even relive the bits of the story you do and don't remember ..
    Levels are of no importance, well almost, just be sure to draw, and junction the strongest magic, play a little bit with junction system, as soon as you learn how to exploit it Final Fantasy VIII becomes easy, way too easy I'm afraid.

Also, try to obtain every GF available, their abilities are most useful, be it for support purposes such as creating rare items, or heading into battle with Auto Haste, and similar attributes, or for noticeably enhancing your character stats.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Cool, I found myself almost relying on GFs too much, I usually like to be able to handle things without them like I did in X

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth I'm gonna start it again... Xanatos's Avatar

GF's are useful in battle, though only for a short notice I'm afraid. Later on they do prove to be useful as a shield, mostly in desperate situations, their abilities though are always of out most importance.

I suggest relying more on melee attacks, and limit breaks, with proper magic, and little bit twicking around the junction system you'll be able to deal massive amount of damage rather early in the game.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

is not a douche I'm gonna start it again... Bubble Boy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Somehow I understood the junction system in my second play-through. My characters were strong enough and even time wasn't a problem anymore. I was able to undo all the mistakes I made when first playing it. So, for me, it was a good decision. ^^

You should give it a try. If you don't want to level your characters, just follow the story until you reach the point where you last stopped. Then you can just use the other save file again. :>
    My first playthrough I didn't even use the junction system or realized it existed. It may have been because I was only 11 at the time it came out and skipped all the text tutorials. haha So I never used GFs and didn't understand why I kept dying in boss battles.

Kaz

Absolutely restart the game. One of the best games to relive in my opinion. Beat it about 5x since it came out. I hadn't played in 3 years, just restarted it. I play maybe 5 hours a week but I can still have a blast doing so. Card games, side-quests, just amazing game overall

is not a douche I'm gonna start it again... Bubble Boy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Absolutely restart the game. One of the best games to relive in my opinion. Beat it about 5x since it came out. I hadn't played in 3 years, just restarted it. I play maybe 5 hours a week but I can still have a blast doing so. Card games, side-quests, just amazing game overall
    Triple Triad is a bitch, though.

Boxer of the Galaxy I'm gonna start it again... Rowan's Avatar

The trick to winning in FF8 is to keep your level as low as possible and card mod cards won from triple traid. The magic modded from I/T/F refinery will be sufficient in boosting whatever stat abilities you have currently learned (which wont be many). It is also possible to get the lionheart (squalls best weapon) without leaving balamb island. It is also possible to destory ATM0586 (i think thats what it was called) when it chases you after dollet tower mission. Although you will miss out on the cutscene, you will be rewarded with some rare items.

Kaz

Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    The trick to winning in FF8 is to keep your level as low as possible and card mod cards won from triple traid. The magic modded from I/T/F refinery will be sufficient in boosting whatever stat abilities you have currently learned (which wont be many). It is also possible to get the lionheart (squalls best weapon) without leaving balamb island. It is also possible to destory ATM0586 (i think thats what it was called) when it chases you after dollet tower mission. Although you will miss out on the cutscene, you will be rewarded with some rare items.
    I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy of keeping your levels low as possible. Yes, you do gain more benefits from x + bonus per level, but other than that, the game is rather standard.

I enjoy fighting and winning battles rather than cardin' everything I see. If you haven't played the game in a while, I would recommend playing and leveling, as to me, it is more fun.

Both techniques work and can be fun as long as you understand the goals behind them.

Boxer of the Galaxy I'm gonna start it again... Rowan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with the philosophy of keeping your levels low as possible. Yes, you do gain more benefits from x + bonus per level, but other than that, the game is rather standard.

I enjoy fighting and winning battles rather than cardin' everything I see. If you haven't played the game in a while, I would recommend playing and leveling, as to me, it is more fun.

Both techniques work and can be fun as long as you understand the goals behind them.
    Just to confirm my theory is correct, This is why you dont recieve any EXP after boss battles and some forced battles. Although I understand what you mean by wanting to kill enemies. Although It can be just as challeneging to card mod them and the rewards are far more significant.

FF8 is awesome of course you should play it again don't ask stupid questions!!!

The Magic Man I'm gonna start it again... Ragette's Avatar

I would definitely recommend starting over, I remember playing it like 4 years ago and giving up because I missed Solomon's Ring (total perfectionist) and then I started it from the beginning like 2 months ago and I am still enjoying now!

All is One.One is All. I'm gonna start it again... Firefly's Avatar

I would also recommend replaying it all over again.Final Fantasy 8 is one of my all time favorite games ever.Leveling and stuff really stinks,but hey..you get to relive the story,right?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My TFF Family:
    * My Awesome Older Brother, Judge Magistrate :]
    * Illusion :]
    * Cait Sith :]
    * My Sweet,Caring,Older Sister angelmarie190515 :]
    * My FF Twin, nickness89 :]
    * My Favorite Australian Cousin, NikkiLinkle :]
    * My Long Lost Cousin, Hero without a Name :]

***98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Juppiter Adept I'm gonna start it again... TheNiteAngel's Avatar

A fresh start is always a good thing, but if you really want to immerse yourself in the spirit of the game, keep your old file and then beat it without remembering. Then look up other people's guides to the first disks and you'll be all like "Holy crap that's what happened?" It'll be like you've lost your memory from having a GF junctioned for years...

Or maybe I'm just a big nerd....
    Own: Origins (I&II), III (DS), Chronicles (IV), Anthology (V&VI), VII, 7-DoC, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, Tactics, TA

Looking to Buy: TA2, and XII-RW

Haven't played: XIII, 7-CC, XIIRW, TA2

Complete: I, II, III, IV, VII, VIII, X, MQ

-I am something of a perfectionist in that I don't consider a run through to the end a complete game. I have to complete everything possible.

Favorite non-FF RPG: Legend of Dragoon (Total Complete 8 times)

Current Goal: Bit of a break from Final Fantasy and into Kingdom Hearts. I've beaten Kh, Re:CoM, and I'm halfway through both KH2 and Days

It's a great FF game it is NEVER wrong to go back to one and start again!!!

Final Fantasy Noob! I'm gonna start it again... ZenMonkey59's Avatar

I would start it again if I were you...there will probably be a lot of stuff you've forgotten...and since FF is very story driven, you'd be missing out.
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX

Registered User I'm gonna start it again...

Here is good analogy.

Junction system is like Weapons/Armor for all the other final fantasies.

What happens when you level up without equipping armor? Enemies kick your butt.

If your low level, you can still have the best armor and not take much damage.

Also remember that the enemy is always same level as your average party level (exception to few special areas). So if you level without equipping your "armor" then you are giving enemies an unfair advantage.