Thread: Forbidden Magic

Registered User Forbidden Magic Diamond Dust's Avatar

Forbidden Magic

A short and sweet thread.

Why is the spell Apocalypse allocated a slot for stocking (which presumably will benefit your stats) when there is only one point in the game where you can actually draw it - in the final battle of the game where of course there's no out of battle chance to make use of it?

I've seen people use AR's to fully stock their inventory with Apocalypse, but without cheating for it what is the point?

Registered User Forbidden Magic

Re: Forbidden Magic

Heh... I didn't even know you could draw Apocalypse. FF VIII seems to have a lot of little tidbits and secrets that I don't know though, but it's cool to learn a little something new. At that point in the game though, I'm usually just sticking to Hero/Holy War and Aura spells to spam my limit breaks to finish the job.

As for the point... Idk. I guess since it's a type of magic, the game developers decided to go ahead and let the player draw it out?
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Registered User Forbidden Magic Diamond Dust's Avatar

And I guess as it's something you can use it would have to be something that can be stocked which ultimately means it needs an inventory space, but I seriously fail to understand the point.

There are three other magic spells that can be cast by Selphie (Percent, Rapture and The End) which may also require one of these false unused slots in the mechanics of the game (memory fails me) although there is absolutely no point in the game at all where these can be drawn/stocked.

As you can use action replay codes to cheat to put them in the inventory, maybe the spare slots are there purely for the sake of the mechanics of the game. I am no coder or anything, and still don't understand why they were put in the game like but it seems odd.

PS - I like your signature Dodie.

Black Wizard Lvl 16 Magic Forbidden Magic Master Garland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dust View Post
    A short and sweet thread.

Why is the spell Apocalypse allocated a slot for stocking (which presumably will benefit your stats) when there is only one point in the game where you can actually draw it - in the final battle of the game where of course there's no out of battle chance to make use of it?

I've seen people use AR's to fully stock their inventory with Apocalypse, but without cheating for it what is the point?
    Probably because they just like having a rare final boss only spell in their inventory. Apocolypse has a spell power of 120 vs Ultimas 80 so it is 50% stronger. But even then Triple casting Meteor with 255 magic and meldown on the enemy will outdamage Apocolypse or anything in the game besides a critical hit Kamikazi, Eden or Limit Breaks.

Registered User Forbidden Magic Zidane77's Avatar

Yeah it's a pretty strong magic, but i never bothered with it, especially cuz you can't save it.
    I always use limit breaks for the main damage, which is enough for me.

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Forbidden Magic ZantetsukeN's Avatar

I didn't see much of a point in the spell all together, due to the fact you can't really take much adavantage of it. I'm usually doing 9999 with most of my characters by this point anyway.

I did once test out a cheat disc on one save, on which I only set the cheat for all the spells. Very handy spell if you can take advantage of earlier.

Also, the disc gave me a spell called 'Catastophe', which had the same animation as Fire, but did 9999 every time. But it didn't increase any stats when junctioned, which was weird considering how strong the spell was.

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Forbidden Magic Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Catastrophe I believe was meant for Selphie, but I can't say for sure.

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Forbidden Magic ZantetsukeN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angel of Iniquity View Post
    Catastrophe I believe was meant for Selphie, but I can't say for sure.
    I think you're right. After doing a bit of research, the spell seems to be one of her hidden limits, and the disc enables it. Using the disc I used also allowed anyone to use Rapture, Full Cure and The End as a normal spell, so it makes sense.

I have no idea I have drawn it and used it and it is pretty good and it is a shame you cannot get it anywhere else but I rarely use it on Ultimecia Limit breaks do the job for me after Doomtrain has weakend her first that is.