Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is FFIX technically the best game in the PS1 series?

Registered User Is FFIX technically the best game in the PS1 series? Locke4God's Avatar

Re: Is FFIX technically the best game in the PS1 series?

I don't agree at all with the contention that 9 is "obviously superior" in any facet of the genre. Battle System? Story? Characters? There are a number of other games in the FF series that I'd rank higher in each catagory. I mean to me, and given due credit to personal opinion, but it's not a more fun game than either 7 or 8, and that stems mostly from what I view as a more symplistic level up and weapon upgrade system. It's certainly far behind in side quests and mini games IMO. And I give 6 a clear advantage as well in terms of a much better character base and a more sweeping story. For me 10 & 12 are also better games, and I can't say that I'd rank it ahead of 4 either, although each of those doesn't have a "standout" quality about them that makes them waaaay better than 9 for me, but I do enjoy all 3 more. I really don't see what is very redeeming about 9 when you compare it to others. In fact it's got a few negative qualities for me, in that the supposed referenses to the series are incredibly flat and often underconceived imo, and I dock it several points on that fact because it was supposed to be the games big selling point. It's like my 7th favorite of the series.

Registered User Is FFIX technically the best game in the PS1 series? Zidane77's Avatar

I agree with Hironobu, the best game in the series.
    But it's definetly different opinions to a lot of people.
    I think VII is on same level as FFIX but good in a different way.
    IX had the best story and characters which i liked the most.

I think final fantasy IX is one of the best final fantasy's. The first I owned was final fantasy VII which made me want to start playing rpg's all together. Final Fantasy IX is my second favorite rpg ever with my first being Suikoden!

The Collector Is FFIX technically the best game in the PS1 series? Kyster's Avatar

Simply the best game in my opinion for the PlayStation system.
    The feeling of the game reminds me of Final Fantasy I & II, the battle system and others reminds me of Final Fantasy VII style. This mix was awesome for me.
    Games beaten:
    I [NES], X [NTSC], VII, IX, CC:FFVII, XII, Dissidia
    In progress:
    X [PAL]; Goal is 100%

hypermeteor

I personally didn't like any of the psx final fantasies because 7 was way too fan boy over run and is kind of over rated 8 was ok but some battles went to slow 9 was just plain weird. Personally 8 is best 9 is second 7 is last for psx.

FFIX was my first, so I'd technically say it's my favourite but as far as the best goes each FF is different in it's own right so it's all down to personal preferences. There is no 'best' because someone else will always disagree.

I can't personally say I have a favourite, I enjoy each game for it's own qualities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2