Thread: Edea's speach

Edea's speach

Me and my bf always wondered why during Edea's speech in Deling city we are confused why the crowd continuously cheer her after she calls them lowlifes filthy wretches. Then she continues to kill the president then tells everybody that there time will come too. Why on earth do they continue to cheer her after the speech.

Boxer of the Galaxy Edea's speach Rowan's Avatar
    That is a very good question. I always assumed they were brainwashed somehow.

I assumed she wasn't speaking into the mic and in crowds sometimes people just don't notice something. The president part always did make me wonder tho.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Sicc in the head & n0t sober. Edea's speach noxious.sunshine's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Definitely under a spell of sorts. Yep yep.

Registered User Edea's speach Sheechiibii's Avatar
    I figured they were under a spell. Rinoa was under a sort of trance and I just assumed she'd done it to all the crowd too.

"Everyone was so happy. 'Great job. You did it. You saved us... all.' There were too many smiles to count.
    But now...When I look back... The people who should be here aren't.
    The ones who should be smiling with me aren't here."

I still think she wasn't talking into the microphone. Brainwashed yes but not speaking into the mic.

Still the president part is boggling so maybe everyone else? But how come no Irvine and Squall then? Weird shit.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Maybe its metaphorical? The fact that the people would follow and love their leader no matter what, and that its only upto SEED to save them from themsleves, I guess.

It's true though, a lot of followers don't care what their leader is doing. People brainwash themselves.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Blog Entries
    I always figured it was because they weren't really paying attention to the speech. They were focused on their mission, and perhaps they were out of earshot.

Or, long story short, it works and makes the story move. Why didn't Squall die after being impaled by several icicles?
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Why didn't Squall die after being impaled by several icicles?
    Wanna walk down that road with me?

=D

You can get pierced in your shoulder and live. In a world with a Magic spell called Cure? Or an item that brings people from faint status? The piercing theory is long dead to me.

Also I thought Irvine and Squall saw she was acting weird. We are mainly questioning the audience.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by loaf View Post
    You can get pierced in your shoulder and live. In a world with a Magic spell called Cure? Or an item that brings people from faint status?.
    Tell that to Aeris. Oh wait, you cant. She's dead.

Fainted is not dead.

What FF game has a legit bring you back to life spell?
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Fainted is not dead.

What FF game has a legit bring you back to life spell?
    Life.
    Life2.

If it was truly fainting, then Inns should suffice to heal characters. They dont revive characters that fall in battle.

Getting stabbed through the shoulder isn't the same as getting stabbed through the chest though.

"Everyone was so happy. 'Great job. You did it. You saved us... all.' There were too many smiles to count.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheechiibii View Post
    Getting stabbed through the shoulder isn't the same as getting stabbed through the chest though.
    reguardless, noone could get hit by something like this and live. Look how thick it is! Noone ever mentions the damage Squall would have sustained from that fall too, landing on his back.

Nope, still pretty sure they could. There are no serious organs in a shoulder.

Blog Entries
    You'd be more likely to survive that (and the associated fall) than you would, say, being mauled by a red dragon.

It's an RPG trope. He did not die, because the narrative says he didn't. That's enough.

Go get angry at George R. R. Martin for
    SPOILER!!:
    not killing Dondarrion when cut in half by Sandor Clegane

Rowan you should read the description of spells in the games. KO is not dead.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    You'd be more likely to survive that (and the associated fall) than you would, say, being mauled by a red dragon.

It's an RPG trope. He did not die, because the narrative says he didn't. That's enough.

Go get angry at George R. R. Martin for
    SPOILER!!:
    not killing Dondarrion when cut in half by Sandor Clegane
    Who's angry? lol. When you see the evidence for the theory its becomes more acceptable. Also, we are talking about the greatest generation of final fantasy games here, when story wasn't spoonfed to us like it is now. There are many unexplained things in final fantasy games, this just happens to be a theory that not only makes sense (in a fantasy world), but is actually teased at in the dissidia series.

Rowan you should read the description of spells in the games. KO is not dead.
    loaf, casting the death spell on a character should techincally kill them, not KO them. Otherewise it would be the 'Knocked out' spell.

ff7 had both Death spells and Life spells. You are pulling KO out of nowhere. Checkmate.

How is that checkmate, description of Life and Phoenix Down says KO, when used on someone they come back. That means they were knocked out, not dead.

LOL CHECKMATE SON

Also here is my theory. Lets put real life shit and compare it to fantasy, cause it makes sense.

Shit in FFVII and FFX they SHOOT YOU WITH A GUN LOL BULLETPROOF SKIN GG CHECKMATE WHAT WHAT
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Yeah the description of Death is also that it causes KO. Jus sayin'

And I've read through the theory, it makes no sense at all. Even if you applied real life to the game (which in itself makes no sense), he got stabbed through the shoulder, and was with someone who could heal him (Edea). That's the equivalent of someone getting stabbed through the shoulder while they're at hospital next to a surgeon. The chances of them dying are slim to non-existent.

The theory isn't applying real life to the game, its using events from the game to describe a scenario which is occuring in a relevant sequence accordingly to the theory that squall is dead and Rinoa is ultimecia. The theory gives it a better storyline than the game has and fills in subsequent plotholes. The actual story makes less sense than the theory. To say that "oh it just is what it is, the narrative didnt explain it word for word to me" is just fkn lazy. But hey, care factor, right? If you legitmately curious you would bother to take these scenarios and compare them to the ones that make sense. For example.

Squall never told anyone the name of his necklace expect rinoa, yet end game when it is summoned by ultimecia, it will be called whatever you decided to name it at that point. Rinoa is ultimecia geeeeze how can you not see that? makes so much sense. She travelled back in time to save Squall from getting killed but failed because ultimately time is destined to repeat itself (ultimecias little speech at the end before you off her) and the whole game is just a metaphor for all of the alternate paths taken by rinoa which end up leading to the same place (back to the orphanage after all is said and done). Its as if you all ignore the montage at the end, the fact that ultimecia came out of nowhere and had absoultley no motivation for doing what she was set out to do. It was obviously time travel, right? Why did she want time travel? So she could manipulate the events that occured in order to save the one she cared about.

DER

But the premise that Squall is dead doesn't make sense for the reason I just gave. The Rinoa=Ultimecia theory doesn't work either since they both existed during time compression. Only one Rinoa can exist there, so there being two means she can't be Ultimecia. Also, Ultimecia is from the far future, and Sorceresses live the same life span as humans.

And if you scan Ultimecia's summon at the end it says it's the strongest GF in Squall's mind. That's why it has the name of the ring, she drew it from his mind because she wanted it to be the strongest challenge for them.

Just because we don't know Ultimecia's motivation does not mean she doesn't have one. Making one up for her is all well and good, but it's not canon, and her being Rinoa doesn't make sense. And she wasn't after time travel, she was after time compression, which is entirely different. Plus she actively tried to kill Squall, if she was trying to save him why would she try to kill him? Makes no sense.

Scourge of Esthar Edea's speach CrazedMonkey's Avatar
    That speech wasn't Edea. Ultimecia was possessing her at the time and the speech is actually her talking about the world she grew up in where the sorceress' were hunted and slaughtered.
    You'll have your reward for finding me, and don't think of running off without collecting. My shot is faster, or my names not Balthier.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazedMonkey View Post
    That speech wasn't Edea. Ultimecia was possessing her at the time and the speech is actually her talking about the world she grew up in where the sorceress' were hunted and slaughtered.
    Did you read anything we are talking about? We know it's her, we are talking about the audience/crowd watching her.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Everyone needs a savior Edea's speach the_savior21's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Who's to say that there is no canon motivation for ultimecia to travel back in time? Its all blatantly stated in the text of the game. She goes back in Time to achieve time compression, motivated by the fact that she would be the only one who could exist in such a world.

Months ago I almost posted my own ultimecia-rinoa theory that differs slight from the usual but didn't because no matter what you want to make yourself believe, ulty was not trying to save squall she was going the opposite in attempting to create a world that only she can exist in...
    Don't look to others for knowledge, this is your story.

PSN: jwitt2123
    be sure to include in the request that you are from
    this forum and also ur username on here, if you intend
    to add me that is thanks

Currently playing
    FFIX- PSP via PSN, COD Black Ops (Zombies) - PS3

Most Played FF = FFVIII
    FF7-12, FF8-28, FF9-12, FFX-23

Every story must have an ending and every story needs a savior