Thread: Favourite things about VIII

Consistently Average Favourite things about VIII Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Favourite things about VIII

What are some of the things you enjoy when you play FFVIII?

All the recent discussions about the game made me want to start up my last file (just got the Ragnarok) and from the moment the opening credits theme started I knew it was going to be my next gaming fix.

Anyway, one of the things I love doing in VIII is drawing or creating a strong spell to Junction to a party member. Seeing their Speed or Attack getting boosted by a huge amount is pretty darn satisfying, especially nearer the start of the game if you don't Card Mod a ton (like I don't) and then near the end when you get access to the really strong spells.

Travelling the world to get parts for upgrading weapons is also pretty cool. I'm hunting Adamantoises to Card Mod, and then turn into Turtle Shells for Squall's Punishment Gunblade (nearly finished Disk 3 and I haven't got Lionheart- shocking, right?)
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Yanqui UXO Favourite things about VIII charliepanayi's Avatar
    The Laguna segments are often very funny, and I love when Zell says 'We're here to liberate Balamb, ya know? Er...I mean we're here to liberate Balamb!'

Islands Closest to Heaven/Hell - draw points everywhere!
    Opening FMV
    Ultimecia's Castle
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Courage, Character, Confidence. Favourite things about VIII Lunasa's Avatar
    Well, I like Final Fantasy VIII not only because it was my first Final Fantasy game but because it was in the era when you could figure out what to do and follow the linear storyline, rather than having a FAQ attached. That, and I had a particular hate/love relationship with grinding. This game was the type where level /scarcely/ mattered and it more or less focused on improving Junctions, and equipment and the like. I often grinded for Spr-Ups, Luck-Ups and stuff like that. And I always go back to it.

"Let oneself make oneself a fool. Blind. Senseless. Confused."
    ~Anonymous

Boxer of the Galaxy Favourite things about VIII Rowan's Avatar
    I love triple triad. I love card modding and junctioning magic to stats and 'carding' monsters adn the fact that EXP is not required to become powerful. I love the atmosphere of the world. Its a truly unique and wonderful place. From the small country towns to big futuristic cities. The music is also 10/10 for me. The characters have great personalities and its fun to watch their personalities clash with each other.

I think the locations and setting really appeal to me most about FF8.

I liked triple triad, setting, story and art style. It was a great game.

Banned Favourite things about VIII
    Everything. My favorite Final Fantasy of all time.

Most notably, Triple Triad, and the GF/Magic/Item/Junction systems. Still the most in-depth, comprehensive, best pound for pound Final Fantasy game system ever made by a crippling and absolute landslide.

The franchise hit the Reset after VIII, and reverted back to the basic, 1 dimensional and simplistic systems we enjoyed in the NES era... Ah, how I detest IX & X.

VIII is amazing, but IX one-dimensional and simplistic? No way, it's every bit the equal of VI-VIII

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Did we play the same game?

9 was grossly basic, and juvenile.

Restricting character classes, sub-par characters and storyline, childish, fairytale tone and presentation...

9 was a new type of game designed to target younger audiences, in order to breed a new generation of Final Fantasy fans for the new platform to come.

IX is harolded as one of the worst FF games ever made, given it's era and prior games.

Younger audiences like games where cities are destroyed, lives torn apart and characters have to come to terms with their own mortality? I don't think IX skewers 'younger' at all (how wound younger players get all the references to previous games for one) and it's certainly not 'childish'.

Also, FFIX is now probably regarded as one of the best FF games, only VI and VII are probably more consistently popular.

I'm not going to argue marketing facts with you, I was just saying.

If to want know what a truly mature RPG (No FF I've EVER played)looks, feels and plays like, try Xenogears for the PS1. I believe IX will begin to look like a kids game after 3 hours.
    Last edited by OutlawTorn; 10-22-2014 at 11:40 AM.

My favorite thing about FFVIII is when I turn the game off and play a different game.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by loaf View Post
    My favorite thing about FFVIII is when I turn the game off and play a different game.
    Lies make baby jesus cry.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawTorn View Post
    Did we play the same game?
    9 was grossly basic, and juvenile.
    Restricting character classes, sub-par characters and storyline, childish, fairytale tone and presentation...
    9 was a new type of game designed to target younger audiences, in order to breed a new generation of Final Fantasy fans for the new platform to come.
    IX is harolded as one of the worst FF games ever made, given it's era and prior games.
    I have to step in. Thats unfortunate you feel that way, I consider VIII to be one of my favourites, but I also consider IX to also be one of my favourites, but for different reasons. One of the more deep things about it was that Zidane's character was actually one of the only characters in FF history to display a positive attitude for the entirety of the game (despite that one part where he finds out a little bit more about his past). For this reason alone, the entire tone of the game had changed into something a little more light hearted and even comical at times, without losing its touch. Vivi's story arc is one of self discovery and existentialism. I will admit there were only a few characters who had relatively deep personalities but for the larger part of it, they all had unique and vibrant personalities. No emo stuff here, and I welcomed that change. Didn't feel like a 'kids game' by any means.

This isn't an FF9 thread but FF9 was bringing back the old school vibe.

Seriously, FF9 can be made into 8bit old school and people's opinions will change 180.

Most people who say FF9 is childish usually played FF8 or FF7 as their first game. Shame.

Comparing Xenogears to FF is like comparing Zelda to God of War lol.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Don't choke on your tongue, loaf. Xenogears is Squaresoft's greatest achievement. It's storyline is the best of ANY game, EVER made, by any company on any console. It makes God of War look like a ****ing joke; a tasteless, mindless waste of brain cells for sub-intellectual bottom feeders.

Xenogears, based on storyline and characters alone, destroys Final Fantasy as an entire ****ing franchise, let alone the individual title for it's own merits.

It is the most underrated game of all time, and has a plot that while convoluted and attention demanding, made the plot of FF VI & VII look like a Walt Disney movie.

And my first FF was 5, then 1, 2, 3, you get the picture, but the real shame is that you even mentioned God of War on a board focused on Square-Enix... Truly a dark day for gaming.
    Last edited by OutlawTorn; 10-22-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Queen Favourite things about VIII Crescent's Avatar
    An interesting fact worth mentioning while on the subject:

Cloud starts spouting random gibberish that's eerily similar to Xenogear's main Theme, "Small Two of Pieces", while at the Mideel hospital? /9142.jpg There is also a Tifa Poster in Xenogears! FFVII is dark but it is sunshine n rainbows compared to Xenogears. I see this as two great games (amongst many of Squaresoft's) for the price of one.

And now I gotta play Xenogears.

You can purchase it through the Playstation Store for PS3, or even play it via emulator, if that's something you're familiar with (never dabbled in 3rd Gen Emulators myself, although I adore the SNES emulator).

It's definitely the rarest, most overlooked gem in both the Square-Enix, and RPG world. Genius, remarkable storyline that will leave you breathless, and deeply inspired.

Besides having what could arguably be the greatest, most profound storyline ever written for a video game, it had an engaging battle system which lends itself to the Fighting genre in ways, while keeping the principles Square RPGs were founded on.

It will take you some time to complete the game, but there is no other more deserving of your time, if you missed out on it's glory.

I suggest you take it slow, read everything very carefully, and pay close attention to what's going on, otherwise you'll find yourself going, "... W. T. F?!" more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawTorn View Post
    You can purchase it through the Playstation Store for PS3, or even play it via emulator, if that's something you're familiar with (never dabbled in 3rd Gen Emulators myself, although I adore the SNES emulator).

It's definitely the rarest, most overlooked gem in both the Square-Enix, and RPG world. Genius, remarkable storyline that will leave you breathless, and deeply inspired.

Besides having what could arguably be the greatest, most profound storyline ever written for a video game, it had an engaging battle system which lends itself to the Fighting genre in ways, while keeping the principles Square RPGs were founded on.

It will take you some time to complete the game, but there is no other more deserving of your time, if you missed out on it's glory.

I suggest you take it slow, read everything very carefully, and pay close attention to what's going on, otherwise you'll find yourself going, "... W. T. F?!" more often than not.
    Done. You've inspired me. I have it on my PSPGO. Im gonna start playing it.

Hehe! ^_^

You're gonna love it.

I credit Xenogears as one of my chief influences as a human being. As a boy in his early teens, it captivated me with it's engrossing storyline, and after beating it, it opened my mind in ways no other story had, even to this day.

It heavily inspired me, and led me toward becoming a writer.

It will forever remain my favorite video game, and story of all time.

While we're plugging Classic Square games, check out Saga Frontier for PS1 (The FIRST game, not the 2nd). Amazing title, and another shining example of Square's genius and groundbreaking work with the RPG. (Replay value, replay value... REPLY VALUE)