Thread: I'm going to play it for the first time.

Hewerya love...? I'm going to play it for the first time. seanb's Avatar

I'm going to play it for the first time.

It's the one FF I have yet to play and was wondering if I could get some feedback on what is it generally like.. eg. 'worlds apart from X/VII... Similar to this/that..
    Just to get some different opinions, I've briefly heard that it went back to the style of I-VI in a sense but I don't know
    Was it unusually difficult/easy?
    Also, could I get some of your play times, so I know what I'm in for

TFF's Resident Messenger I'm going to play it for the first time. Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: I'm going to play it for the first time.

I am currently doing a playthrough of this myself. I try to go for every item (that I know of) so I currently on Disc 2 and 23 hours in.

It is the first Final Fantasy that I played, so I am a little biased. I think it is a great game. The characters are sprite-ish. And most weapons are bigger than the users. I like how each weapon has abilities you can learn. I like the basic ATB battle system, the card battle system, and the side-quests (GO chocobo Hot & Cold!). It's story might even make you cry. I cried the first time I completed it (1. Because of the story, and 2. Because it was the first game ever that I finished without any help from anyone).

I think you will really like it. Have fun with it!
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

The way the characters look sprite-ish is one of the things that attracted me to it I don't care much for realism.
    And the Battle system is the classic timer orientated?
    All that sound very interesting. Looks like I've been missing out for years!

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth I'm going to play it for the first time. Xanatos's Avatar

Even though I don't consider it to be the best (close second for that matter), it's still my favorite game, mostly due to fond memories, nostalgia in other words. Final Fantasy IX is huge homage to older titles, it contains huge amount of references, expect medieval setting, and lighthearted characters. It has relatively simple battle system, abilities can be learned in same manner as in Final Fantasy VI, this time though via equipment, and weapons. Every character has something extra up their sleeve, depending on which class they are, on which also depends what kind of abilities they'll learn.

Trance system is IX equivalent to limit breaks, though less useful, considering overall difficulty their usage is of no importance. Expect griping story, full of sad moments, and intriguing twists. What in my opinion makes this game better than others is superb music, and what seems to be the best villain franchise has to offer. There are decent amount of minigames, and sidequest, some highly addictive such as Chocobo Hot & Cold, and Tetra Master, fun though inferior to VIII's Triple Triad.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    Trance system is IX equivalent to limit breaks, though less useful, considering overall difficulty their usage is of no importance. Expect griping story, full of sad moments, and intriguing twists. What in my opinion makes this game better than others is superb music, and what seems to be the best villain franchise has to offer. There are decent amount of minigames, and sidequest, some highly addictive such as Chocobo Hot & Cold, and Tetra Master, fun though inferior to VIII's Triple Triad.
    EXCELLENT!

All of this seems right up my street!
    Thanks.

Registered User I'm going to play it for the first time. tehmuffinmon's Avatar

It's fantastic! Maybe my second favorite Final Fantasy, though I'm not sure. It has some of the best music, characters, and settings in the series, imo.

The story is also very well-paced and feels like a classic adventure for the majority of the game. It goes serious at certain points but it never loses its charm and atmosphere, which is great.

My only real complaints is that after a certain point in the game, there are many locations you can't visit again. Also, battles can feel slow because of the initial loading time when you enter into an encounter, but it's not too bad.

Music, Characters, Settings, - major factors in 'what makes a good FF for me

And if you say it never loses its charm/atmosphere, that makes me happy. !
    Because that's what made me fall in love with X.

Thanks!

Resident Saint Seiya fanboy I'm going to play it for the first time. Leon's Avatar
    Anywhere I want to live. Wonderful, is it not?
    Blog Entries

Should I kick you in the head for missing out?

j/k, it's a great game. Get it, get it, get it while you still can! I have three files on it, and although I played Dissidia more than FFIX, it's still a great game.

EDIT: It's easy at the beginning, but be careful around the end of Disc 1. On my first playthrough, I got stuck because I was inexperienced and didn't have enough Gil.
    Please read the poetry from two great friends of mine. May they find peace.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

Final Fantasy Noob! I'm going to play it for the first time. ZenMonkey59's Avatar

I'm playing through it for the first time right now. Loving it so far!
    Final Fantasies I've Beaten: FFI, FFXIII

Currently Playing: FFIX

Finally bought a copy on ebay. £21, which I think is decent but I havta pay 9 quid for p+p... oh well. I've got it now!
    Can't wait for it to arrive

Crash Boom Bang I'm going to play it for the first time. Lily's Avatar

I hope you've not got a PS3 YOU COULD OF DOWNLOADED IT TO IF YOU'VE JUST PAID THAT ON EBAY (**** you caps lock) because I got my copy off ebay for a tenner.... though Im just a snob because I already had it platinum, my original copy got nicked, twats. Probably a good job I have that second copy really, seeing as I superglued the case of one together /idiot

Anyway, Im apalled you havent played this sooner, the only thing I can fault on the game is I hate the start, the first few hours I really have to grit my teeth to get through, but once Im past that it's ace.

Easily one of, if not, the best FF out there, the story is much darker than you'd expect with the lighthearted fun feel the game gives off, it's really deep, and in parts really sad.

If you dont get addicted to Chocobo Hot and Cold then there is something wrong with you. It's beyond infuriating sometimes

If for any reason you are thinking of getting the guide, unless its for collection purposes, don't bother, it's the biggest pile of shite you ever saw in your life ever. It's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard

Happy gaming *shakes pompoms*

Registered User I'm going to play it for the first time. Vogue Star's Avatar

This was the first FF I ever played, and it still holds a special place in my heart to this day In my opinion, it's the absolute classic of the series in terms of the traditional aspects of FF. I have very fond memories of playing this game *sigh*. It spawned my love of moogles and all things FF! Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks guys

Gonna play it on a ps2 lily, I don't have the heart to have just downloaded it. I'm a sentimental eejit like that. lol
    and I didn't bother getting the guide, although I did consider it...

Pumped up now cos of you's praising it ha

it's a ****ing awesome game, it won't dissapoint, and if it does, then I will be dissapoint ):

JUst don't try to power through, I made that mistake the first time I played

I bought 2 copies by mistake..... I forgot about a low bid I made a few days ago... turns out I won... was annoyed at first, but cos I got it for a good price I can just sell one... well I learned my lesson, first time using ebay

Just a heads up though, a lot of translations for referencing previous FF's have been messed up.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

well, at least you have back up in case you glue one of your cases together by accident

Registered User I'm going to play it for the first time. Cry For Garnet's Avatar
    FFIX can be completed anywhere between 10 and 70 hours depending how good of a player you are, what side quests you complete and to what extent, and also how lucky you are on certain randomly generated mini games. A completionist playthrough can take anything up to and including 70 hours oif you are a fairly sluggish player who wants a completionist playthrough, or as little as ten hours (it can be done in less, but probably not by anyone here) if you are a FFIX expert and want to rush through it to see how fast you can do it. Ive played this game 22 times and I have completed in as little as ten and a half hours, although I had a massive migrane later that night having done this in one sitting and been under immense pressure to be extremely time efficient in the process, and have spent as much as 62 hours in my original completionist playthrough. But, for an average player, who completes and average number of side quests to an average extent, you can expect this game to take about 45 hours, if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Cry For Garnet; 05-18-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Additions made