Thread: You probably saw this already

You probably saw this already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMWEjWCwjzM

Looks like Wesley Snipes is playing the role of Barret Wallace.

Edit: Gameplay is FFXV like.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Barrett looks shit, I knew they would change the battle mechanics, i was just hoping not that much.. UGH!

Professional Klutz. You probably saw this already Hyzenthlay's Avatar
    Real time combat? Well, congratulations SquareEnix, you're on the road to ruining your most celebrated gaming title. Aside from the graphics, which I liked, this looks shockingly bad. Voiceovers aren't needed and sound out of place, camera view is completely wrong and takes away from the original, the combat is just awful (if I wanted to play Devil May Cry I'd load up my 360). All in all I'd say I'm hugely disappointed. I had thought this would be a real comeback title for one of my favourite gaming companies and titles. SE needs to stop trying to make real time combat happen and just accept that the games were brilliant with turn-based. I loved the strategy involved, I can't stand button bashing combat systems. On top of that the voice acting will probably detract from the original script, or at very least a lot will be cut out. I really am so disillusioned by this, I wish I could un-watch it.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

chocolateer You probably saw this already 01habbo's Avatar
    It would just look weird in these graphics for Cloud to be standing around waiting for his turn to attack, I was really hoping for a battle system like this, it looks epic XD

Professional Klutz. You probably saw this already Hyzenthlay's Avatar
    Of course it will appeal to some people but I believe there is a firm reason for the Final Fantasy series' dramatic drop in unit sales. I think the path they have taken with 'innovations' has a lot to do with it. Personally I haven't finished a FF games since X. I find everything they make now tedious. They've removed a lot of what made their games amazing to me. The dialogue has taken a plummet, the storylines get more and more bland and the features they do add seem out of place. This is all my opinion and it's pretty much aligned with the views of my friends and many others. I stopped playing FFXII because of the combat. I thought it had lost the strategic edge it used to have and that took away from the experience for me. I played FFXIII for all of an hour before returning it to the shop. I want back the magic Squaresoft used to give us. I feel like it's missing from their recent titles. I also want back exploration and likeable characters. This remake seems to be going where XII and XIII went and I find that disappointing.

Characters 'waiting for their turn' is what made RPG combat for me. Without that I may as well be playing any other action game. I just couldn't agree with you less. Again, mi opinion though. I hope you do enjoy it. Whereas I thought I'd preorder this I now think I'll wait for reviews and possibly watch YouTube gameplay before I even think about getting it. It's a shame for me.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

The Mad God You probably saw this already Heartless Angel's Avatar
    God ****ing damnit Square... you had one goddamn chance, and it looks like once again you ****ing blew it. Take. The. ****ing. Hint. Your sales have plummeted for a reason. Nobody likes your half-assed action systems.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

The Quiet One You probably saw this already Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It all looks great to me. We already knew the combat was changing and it going more action oriented is not a surprise since the direction of FFXV is an action RPG. It still has everything that FFVII is, just no turn based combat. I'm not strictly fixed on all RPGs needing to be turned base combat. The FF series changes in each game and tries out different things. It's only natural that they'll start moving towards action RPGs. It looks like a variant of FFXV's combat, which was a lot of fun to play. So I look forward to this.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

chocolateer You probably saw this already 01habbo's Avatar
    Be interesting to see how the system differs to their previous games. Being a Kingdom Hearts fan I've always liked how they handled their action orientated battle systems. Not to say I don't like turn based, I love turn based, FFX is one of my favourite games. It's just it would feel clunky and slow in HD graphics and in a dark setting like this. I would like to see how summons and limits are handled in new battle system and how they implement materia. I figure the materia will be something similar to Crisis Core.

I hope though Square don't put in quick time events, I just can't see how that would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyzenthlay View Post
    Characters 'waiting for their turn' is what made RPG combat for me. Without that I may as well be playing any other action game. I just couldn't agree with you less. Again, mi opinion though. I hope you do enjoy it. Whereas I thought I'd preorder this I now think I'll wait for reviews and possibly watch YouTube gameplay before I even think about getting it. It's a shame for me.
    Everyone has their own tastes ^_^. I'm quite used to this type of battle system it doesn't to me feel like any other action game as it still has that basic menu of attack, magic, item. There's still the strategy element in it too, it's just that it's much faster and quicker. Also you get to move around on the battle field, for me it's always enjoyable to dodge and then attack an enemy from behind.
    Last edited by 01habbo; 12-05-2015 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Didn't read the other posts

Blog Entries
    As I've looked at the combat UI more closely after watching the trailer several times already, I've noticed something curious. There is a meter under their names that fills up during attacks they make and it then goes red. I'm wondering if this is actually a hybrid of action and ATB systems. Where you have free range of movement and can string together attacks, but you have only so many actions you can take before you need to pause and wait for your next turn. So it may actually be pseudo turn based action.

That would be okay. It's hard to tell from this what exactly is going on with this system. I'm not optimistic, but I haven't completely given up hope that this will be playable. 12 and 13 certainly haven't been enjoyable experiences for me. With X and earlier, FF was a game I would skip several nights of sleep after a release because I couldn't get enough. Both 12 and 13 took me over a year each just to force myself through, because the gameplay just didn't grab me at all. I still haven't played through 13-2, and haven't even bothered to buy Lightning returns. My biggest concern though is whether you'll control the whole party, or just Cloud while tripping over incompetent AI allies. That's my biggest complaint with 13. I ****ing HATE computer controlled allies in a game like this. They cripple any sense of strategy that a full party brings to the game. With a full party, I spend time developing multiple characters for various situations. In a game like Kingdom hearts, I don't waste any time or effort on Donald or Goofy, because no matter what abilities I set, how long I spend trying to get materials for their ultimate gear, 90% of the time, they're still just going to run into area attacks and die like ****ing idiots. I relegate them to potion packmules, because it's the only thing I can reasonably expect them to do correctly more than half the time.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Certified tech, come at me! You probably saw this already SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm liking how this is turning out, it is very cinematic and reminiscent to the story of FFVII. The only thing really different is the combat and I like how it is turning out. I'm sure the full thing will be great, I wonder if there will be a demo that people can give feedback on so square can make any adjustments necessary? I can't wait until they reveal what the summons will look like *shivers*.

EDIT: @andro, I analysed the battle portion of the trailer with the bar in question. It seemed to be filling up AS the characters were landing strikes on the enemy until it hit red. I speculate that the red bar indicates an initiative to perform a strong attack unique to the character like cloud's dashing or barret's charge shot.
    Last edited by SuperSabin; 12-05-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries
    The XIII series is about the macro strategy rather than the micro strategy. Which is how the game differs from the rest of the series, which focused on micro play. There is still strategy and tactics, they are just painting with broader strokes. Lightning Returns is a fantastic game though, best in the series for combat and only comparable to X-2 for best combat in the entire series. Since you solo the game as only Lightning, it's back to the micro play and not macro play. It takes everything that was solid about XIII and eliminates the AI, so you're in full control of the entire situation. It's easily one of the best FF from a gameplay and enjoyment standpoint.

But yes, we'll need to see more of the combat to get a real sense of things. But there is a defend option as people have pointed out in the menu, which for an action game would seem like a strange thing to include. Because in an action game, defend would just be a button you press, not an action you take. So I'm getting the sense that this is going to be more menu driving than people are giving it credit for. For all we know, everything they showed is turned based ATB, just that is what "Attack" combat command looks like now. Just because people aren't on lines, doesn't mean it's not still possibly some sort of ATB. Remember, XIII was still a ATB game, it wasn't an action game, it just used ATB in a different way than people were used to seeing it.

13 actually did use ATB correctly. Keeping the appearance of action, while not actually being action based, which is probably the main reason I found AI controlled allies completely unjustifiable as a gameplay mechanic. With an action game single control makes sense, because you can't actively control a group. In 13 most of my time was spent being pissed off at stupid AI decisions, like healers prioritizing someone near full health over someone getting annihilated, or failing to top people off, leaving them ow enough to get killed by strong attacks, or having to wait for a saboteur or synergist to go through every single spells I didn't care about before finally trying to stack the ones I wanted, the computer couldn't play a sentinel to save its life, so I usually has to control that role myself. Basically if I needed my allies to do anything other than attack, somehow or another, they were doing it stupidly.

On fights where there was no need for microstrategy, the macrostrategy just isn't engaging. Having to open a menu and change roles every 10 seconds just didn't have me at the edge of my seat, like ever. I can forgive the game for its linear progression, and the story certainly wasn't my favorite, but it was just so hopelessly dull to play.

Blog Entries
    The macro play was what made the game more compelling for me. Because it gave a lot more thought in standard combat situations than just press attack until all enemies die, which is what non-boss encounters in any other FF are. Select target and attack, since spending MP on other actions is a risky venture when they are more valuable against bosses and ethers tend run on the rare side of things. You still just spam attack in XIII, but switching around between Ravager and Commando to fully utilize the system even when it was just spam attack button made it more engaging.

But I'm one of the few people that genuinely enjoyed the XIII series. But at the same time, there hasn't been a FF mainline game that I haven't enjoyed. Each is different that's what makes them fun to play.

However, this is FFVII, not XIII. The micro play looks to still be intact in the game even with all the extra flash. We'll need to see more of the combat to really understand how it has changed.

I want to play a game. You probably saw this already Zargabaath's Avatar
    Once I saw the combat system changed I knew a lot of fans would be upset. I've enjoyed the FF XV demos. In this trailer Nomura seems to have taken his time working on FF XV and applied it to this remake.

All these fans clamoring for a remake and now they're upset. They should've been happy with 32-bit polygons. I've always felt that the original release will be Final Fantasy VII to me regardless of a remake. The remake would never capture the same magic that the original game had. It was more wishful thinking of the fan base. Cause if there ever was a remake, there would be changes that would be to the dismay of the fans. Only natural and expected that Square-Enix would not simply release the game with upgraded graphics.

I enjoy turn-based and action rpgs; both are strategic in their own way. Turn-base being a more slow, chess-like game while an action-rpg like hockey - quick scenarios that need fast decision-making. Sure a player could button-mash in Star Ocean or a Tales of game, but that is not optimal. Fighting games can be button-mashed yet they are very technical games, more technical than turn-based rpgs. Fighting games take a lot of skill and time to master. I don't think anyone would say fighting games are not strategic. The same applies to action-rpgs. Fans upset by this change want the good ole battle system of Final Fantasy. Well that is real old-school turn-base - not ATB. This series has always been about change and doing things differently. As the technology has gotten better they have expanded with what they want to try and accomplish. If people are looking for tradition try Dragon Quest - a wonderful series!

Square's last two main entries, barring FF XIV, had quite good voice-acting. Minus a few hick-ups in some casting decisions, Final Fantasy XII & Final Fantasy XIII were good. Now from what I've read, some people have noticed that some of the dialogue in the trailer is different/new than in the original script.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Boxer of the Galaxy You probably saw this already Rowan's Avatar
    Listen up here.

I came, I saw, and I came again.

It looks so promising, this is coming from a huge fan (like i need to explain myself here).
    It was obviously constructed using the same engine as ff15 (note the way cloud move through the gap in the wall and the crawl) identicle to ff15. What I assume they have done here is constructed somewhat of a tech demo to give us something to hold onto until E3 2016. It was very unpolished, typical of a tech demo.

Now onto my thoughts in general;

**** your turn based bullshit. I love turnbased, but thats not why i played ff7. This looks amazing and I cant wait to see what else they come up with in terms of level design and battle system. So far, its saturated my desire to see more of what I wanted, and that is a remade FF7 game. Nothing infuriates me more than reading persons opinions on how it 'should' be, cause as far as I'm concerned, turn based or not, its going to be great!

And barret looks like a proper badass. Character design is on point. Although that opinion is pending until I see Tifa.

EDIT: In reference to the 'atb' bar, I actually saw the bar as 'depleting' instead of filling up as the character used attacks. This could mean that by not attacking, the bar fills up and attacks cause the bar to decrease therefor making 'button mashing' a bad way at approaching combat.
    Last edited by Rowan; 12-06-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Boxer of the Galaxy You probably saw this already Rowan's Avatar
    Also, final fantasy 7 confirmed multi part series.

ouch.