Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated?

Question Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated?

What exactly is it about FINAL FANTASY VII that makes it overrated? I always hear alot of people talk about how overrated it is, but I usually don't find out why. So far, I've heard that the cast of characters aren't that great, and the story is confusing, but that's about it. Can someone tell me any other reasons? I've never played it, so I couldn't give you my opinion; I was just wondering.

Registered User Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated?
    To be honest, I think it has to do with the fanbase it created. Those FF VII fans can be some weird-ass people (lol). Also, FF VII is arguably one of the more popular entries in the franchise. For some reason, there's always a backlash when something becomes too popular.

I love this game. It isn't perfect by any means, mind you. There are glitches and translation errors almost everywhere you look, but its still overall a good game. It just has the misfortune of being the FF that changed FF games.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Lady Succubus Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When something is overrated, say.. FF7, 8, 9, Naruto, Bleach, etc...

It's basically something average or mediocre, or just plain "good" becomes more popular than it should be. Usually young or teenage girls/boys are the main causes of something becoming overrated because "zomg seph is badass/hawt shiz"

"Tifa iz so hawt"

...So on, and so forth.

Master of the Shadow Key Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? KeybladerXIII's Avatar
    Because of it's huge sucess, Square decided to continue the series with other games and a movie. People consider this "milking the franchise dry." The haters, for lack of a better word, probably liked the game at first, but didn't see it as groundbreaking or popular as IV or VI. People got mad at the extra treatment VII got, which they think wasn't deserved. Another reason is that people consider Sephiroth as a rip-off of Kefka,the antagonist of VI, who they think is infinently more superior as a main antagonist (I don't think so, though).

Oh yes, and the rabid fanbase. VII is one of my favorite FFs, but I'm not insane about it.
    "Take a chance.....roll the dice.......pick a card....whatever suits your game.....you'll lose either way...."

Organization XIII in a nutshell, in their most core personality:

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs25/f/20..._blablachn.jpg

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say that FF7 is overrated by any means. FF7 is a solid all-around great game, and believe it or not I'm not even an Cloud/Sephy fanboy, so you can take it for what it's worth. On the other hand, Final Fantasy 7 is by no means underrated either. A lot of people live and die by this game, and because of it's enormous Twilight-ish following, there has been plenty of spinoffs and tidbits thrown in various games from the FF7 game.

I think a big thing that bothers me with this game most of all is just how it seems to be half-ass at times. Like starting up the game, I'm just like "aw yeah hot flower girl oh shi- focus on the mission gotta blow this shizzle up ok right in the action." It had a good pace. Some terrorists are trying to make the world go green, so they hire some BA with a huge sword (thats you) to help blow shit up. It's all fine and dandy, you do a couple missions, then you get seperated, left for dead, etc. You get saved by some lady, reunite with your team, infiltrate the biggest corporation in the world, and so on. I'd say that most of the first disc is pretty good. After you realize your true goal, you set out to find and stop this madman that wants to destroy the world. Sure, you get a few fruity characters like Red XIII and Cait Sith, but hey what game doesn't have those people? (Take Peco from BoF3 or Chu-Chu from Xenogears for example).

Anywho, once the game gets to the second disk, FF7 has been having me go "lolwut?" on several different occasions. A lot of plot twists happen and things get really complicated, and don't make sense a lot of the time even after the game is finished. I had to replay the game at least twice just to figure most of the plot out. So yeah, that's probably why people say the story is very confusing.

Anyways, the game does a lot of things right, like having good pace, a sweet materia system, fun minigames, and all kinds of other hidden things. I encourage you to play it. Once again though, I don't believe it's overrated or underrated by any means. It does a lot of things right and has a large fanbase because of it.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Registered User Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? Gilgamesh2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post

...Anyways, the game does a lot of things right, like having good pace, a sweet materia system, fun minigames, and all kinds of other hidden things. I encourage you to play it. Once again though, I don't believe it's overrated or underrated by any means. It does a lot of things right and has a large fanbase because of it.
    You are right it does have its fine points and everything, but I feel that FF VII is overrated due to how far the story goes. For example, FF Crisis Core tells before the game while FF: AC tells what happens after the main game. Not to mention that Sephiroth has appeared on countless occasions but don't get me wrong he is an excellent character, but they shed to much of a focus on him.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? Xanatos's Avatar
    I've played FF VII not too long ago and to be honest I don't see what's all the fuss about, I don't say that the game is bad just the contrary it's good but nothing more and nothing less. The game is overrated only because there are too many obsessed fans that worship this game more than anything in their life and exactly because of them SquareSoft saw it's big chance to make some serious cash by milking this franchise for such long time.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Honestly I am one of the people who think that FFVII is overrated by other gamers, don't get me wrong I do not think this game is a bad game. For what it's worth I thought it was beyond a good game, lets just say a great game and leave it at that for now.

I have seen members come and go from this forum and have friends that VII is and will always be the greatest game Square made. I can see why they think it. It has revolutionary graphics(for its time), a more then mediocre plot, an awesome sound track, the materia system was nice, and it had some bad ass moments when I almost thought Cloud wasn't Emo and that Sephy wasn't a momma's boy.

I understand why SE has "milked the utter dry" on VII and honestly I don't think it is completely out of milk yet. FFVII is a profitable corner of the gaming / RPG market, why would SE as a buisness not take advantage of their biggest cash cow? In all honesty that is all SE really intends to do on the buisniss side of things.

What makes FFVII overated is the FANBOYS/GIRLS, seriously they have made this game out to be 100% more then what it is intended to be. I don't know how many times I have heard FFVII is better then any other FF. I am not sure how many more times I can hear one rant at how Sephy owns every other villian out there. How with out FFVII the RPG market would be nothing and the world would end.

I hate how most of the FFVII fanboys down on the older titles of the series and many other RPGs before it's time because "the graphics aren't as good", sometimes when I ask they haven't ever played the older titles.

If you look at this forum alone, go to the members list and see exactly how many people have a variation of the name(s) "Cloud" "Vincent" or "Sephiroth", it is rediculous. Then they come here and try to act like their prespective username instead of just being their selves.

The funny thing is I was beating this title before some of the newer fan boys where even out of diapers.

So back to the game: do I think the game is bad, no. Not at all. I still to this day enjoy the hell out of it. I still laugh every time I see Cloud in drag, tear up at the events that happen at the end of Disc 1, and scream and curse everytime I have to do that stupid Junon parade. It is a great game.

On a closing note of this rant I must add. This game over shadows alot of games that IMO are better. For instance Xenogears (not Xenosaga) was released the same year. Due to the fact that VII was a FF and the fact that it was released before Gears.

I swear if 1/2 the VII fanboys and girls wouldd drop their almighty guard on VII and give gears a full play through by the end they would be asking "Whos Cloud" "Fei FTW!" and "Id would own Sephy"
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

I do what you can't. Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? Sasquatch's Avatar
    Mainly because of its fan[boy]base. All too many little children started out with FFVII as their first Final Fantasy, not realizing that they had great (better) games long before Sony Playstation came out.

This is in comparison to other FFs, mind you:

Music? Meh. Not as good as other Final Fantasy games or games of its time.

Characters? Crappy. Very little development or background. The two big American Final Fantasy games before this (IV and VI) had more characters with more development. Hell, FFVI had fourteen characters, and most of them had bigger backstories than most FFVII characters

Battle? Not bad. Not much different than FFVI, other than the three characters instead of four, and the addition of Limit Breaks. The long-ass Summon cutscenes did get annoying though.

Graphics? Yay, it's 3D. Yay, they got to 32-bit graphics. They still sucked. Because of Squaresoft's rush, the graphics weren't nearly as refined as other games that were released at about the same time.

Character Development? Crappy. I mean c'mon, the only things separating one character from another were what weapon they used and the Limit Breaks. Other than that, one character was a carbon-copy of all the rest. You could take all the Materia off of one character and put it on another, and there wouldn't be much difference. The characters barely advanced -- it was the Materia that gained new abilities. This is in direct contrast to every prior Final Fantasy game, in which the character him/herself gained abilities.

Weapons? Oh look, a gigantic sword, so big and unwieldy that nobody could ever realistically use it. Oh look, the bad guy has one, too. Oh look, there are guns -- and apparently, being shot with a machine gun doesn't do any more damaged than being punched or hit with a staff. Wait, what?

Sidequests? Apart from having completely friggin' useless bosses, mediocre, irrelevant minigames (and an entire city devoted to them), and a Chocobo breeding system that doesn't show its value unless you know from an outside source how to use it ... well, apart from all that, it didn't have much for sidequests.

Antagonist? Crappy. No, he wasn't a rip-off of Kefka, not at all. Kefka was a madman who actually controlled the world for a year before your party managed to get it back. Sephiroth is just a momma's-boy who bitches and whines about his dead mommy being used for something he disagrees with, then uses her to do the same thing he disagreed with her being used for, only for him to absorb the power instead of somebody else. But ooooh, he's got a big sword and long hair and a trenchcoat, whoa is he badass.

Protagonist? Crappy. The "who am I, waaaaaaaaah" crap got old quick.

Plot? Abysmal. Not only was it confusing, it was full of holes -- hell, they had to make movies and games staged before and after FFVII just to give backstory on FFVII's plot and characters.

And worst of all, of course, is the fanbase. The typical FFVII fanboy started playing Final Fantasy games when his mommy and daddy bought him a Playstation while he was in middle school and he saw some of Squaresoft's marketing of FFVII, something that they hadn't really done before. It was a new game on a new system, and as such got a lot more attention than others of its type. Final Fantasy X is the same way -- even here on the forums, you can see that there are a lot more people interested in FFVII and FFX than any other.

All in all, it's a good game. But when it's compared to other Final Fantasy games, it's barely in the top half.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

All in all, it's a good game. But when it's compared to other Final Fantasy games, it's barely in the top half.
    Just curious, which Final Fantasy games would you put infront of FFVII, and why?
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Games I would put in front of VII? VI, IV, Tactics, I and VIII....and just because I like it better then VII, IX.

I remember when I first beat this game, it became my favorite over IX and IX was my favorite. I then continued to beat FFVII up to 10 more times within that same year I first beat it. Then the game started getting more popular and to the point where everyone was a fan and all they would say is. CLOUD IS TEH BEST AND SEPHIROTH IS THE GREATEST VILLIAN! EVER! People i know who only played VII and no other title were saying that. Then I started playing IX again and fell in love with it all over again. Just as Link said, I rarely ever see someone on any forum, video game or just a name, with the name Zidane, or Locke, Cecil...everyone just wants to be Cloud or Sephiroth. Hell, in World of Warcraft a long time ago, there were about 5 variations of Sephiroth. Sepphiroth, Sephirothh, Seferoth, Sefiroth! It gets so annoying that people practically worship Cloud and Sephiroth. I mean the game is great, but it is very overrated.

The Old Skool Warrior Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mainly because of its fan[boy]base. All too many little children started out with FFVII as their first Final Fantasy, not realizing that they had great (better) games long before Sony Playstation came out.

This statement right here.

What makes the game so insanely popular is simply that this is the title that made RPGs popular Stateside. If you ask a large sample of Japanese gamers, they don't give nearly two shits what we do about FFVII. It is popular over there, yes, but not like it is over here. I really think Square-Enix keeps pumping out the extra content to appease the NA/EU crowds more than anything else.

The game is not bad. It has its flaws, but is overall a good game.

But did you ever notice how most of the FFVII superfans are between the ages of 15-20? Yep, must've been their first RPG.

That's not to assume that all fanboygirls are 15-20, or that all fanboygirls started with FFVII as their first RPG, but it is the majority of the cases...
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Blog Entries
    I hate to play devil's advocate a little bit, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Character Development? Crappy. I mean c'mon, the only things separating one character from another were what weapon they used and the Limit Breaks. Other than that, one character was a carbon-copy of all the rest. You could take all the Materia off of one character and put it on another, and there wouldn't be much difference. The characters barely advanced -- it was the Materia that gained new abilities. This is in direct contrast to every prior Final Fantasy game, in which the character him/herself gained abilities.
    Replace the word "Materia" with "Magicite," and you could say the same about the characters in FF6. And in several cases, the characters in FF6 used the exact same weapons as other characters; the ones that used swords, the ones that used pikes, etc. Sure, you couldn't replicate a magicite, but you could pass it around between the characters, and if a character held the magicite for a certain amount of time, it would have a lasting beneficial effect on that character's stats/that character would learn its spells. I hate to say this about 6, because it's my favorite, but it's true.

I agree that a lot of these people probably like 7 the best because it was huge for the US's RPG market, although I'm pretty sure it was huge in Japan, too. Remember that poll a few years back that I think Cain posted a link to? The thread is so old that I can't find it anymore (maybe it was deleted?) but FF7 was #2 behind FF10 for Japan's top 100 games ever. (I remember that not one Mario game even made the list, either.) It's been a few years now, so a top 100 list might be different now, but... just sayin'.

Personally, I think FF7 is overrated because a lot of people like it the best, and I don't. A lot of people think that Sephiroth is one of the greatest villains ever, and Cloud is one of the best heroes ever... and I don't (in fact, I'm pretty much flat out tired of Sephiroth by now.) Eh *Shrug* Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Telegraph View Post
    Replace the word "Materia" with "Magicite," and you could say the same about the characters in FF6. And in several cases, the characters in FF6 used the exact same weapons as other characters; the ones that used swords, the ones that used pikes, etc. Sure, you couldn't replicate a magicite, but you could pass it around between the characters, and if a character held the magicite for a certain amount of time, it would have a lasting beneficial effect on that character's stats/that character would learn its spells. I hate to say this about 6, because it's my favorite, but it's true.
    There's still a big difference. Magicite was used do develop CHARACTERS -- the character itself advanced. Not the magicite. So, for one thing, every character was different in the sense that it took more than trading equipment to make one character into another. Sure, eventually they could learn the same spells, but the characters would have to learn them -- Edgar and Sabin were two different characters, and making them trade equipment kept them the same characters they were.

For another, each character had their own unique ability that distinguished them from the others. The only unique abilities FFVII had were Limit Breaks. The way I played (at least), limit breaks didn't matter much, as they were "bonuses", not set abilities -- this is in direct contrast to FFVI, where parties were established based on what abilities complimented each other. (For example, you wouldn't want to put Relm with Gau or Umaro, as their attacks might screw up her Control.)

As far as their weapons go ... Realistically, different characters are going to be able to use some of the same weapons. Each and every character (save Umaro, of course) could use multiple types of weapon -- staves, spears, swords, daggers, etc. It wouldn't make sense for any character to be able to use one type of weapon and only one type of weapon. That'd be like saying I drive a light pickup truck, so that means I wouldn't be able to drive a larger pickup truck, an SUV, a sports car, a sedan, a station wagon, a golf cart, a semi truck, a farm tractor, etc. etc.

(Of course you have characters with special traits, like Sabin, that can use specific types and none others, but this by no means spreads to the entire cast.)

Death Before Dishonor Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    FF VII is my favorite of the FF series but I do agree that it is overrated, I have heard countless people say it is the greatest FF ever but yet they have not played any of the other FF games, I mean I have played just about every FF there is therefore I can say it is my favorite without being biased...

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    This game over shadows alot of games that IMO are better.
    "
    I agree that it did over shadow a lot of games that came out that year, in case anyone forgot FF Tactics came out the same year so did the first of the Oddworld series, and even the first Fallout which kicked ass by the way...But despite all of this it is still my favorite simply because of the story and how all the characters are entertwined somehow...

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

nutjob4444
    Why is it?

Registered User Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? WilsonDean1990's Avatar
    Personally FFVII is one of the best games i own, and i have a fair few of PS3 and XBOX360 games. Plus it was the first game i played on PS1 i'm not going to force my views on people and say its amazing and anyone who hasn't played it is a douche. However, if someone bad mouths FFVII without playing it then it becomes personal. I think dirge of Cerberus was a bit too far but advent children and crisis core really linked key moments and future events for me

TheDigitalManga Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigitalManga
    Bakuman Epsiode 1 Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../0/hAID_tCqznY
    Bakuman Epsiode 1 Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../1/_SGnj0AI5WI
    Bakuman Episode 1 Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../0/szpHqaSscC4

I Think You Anime/Manga Fans would really like it!!

FFVII did extremely well because its a fine fun game with a compelling story, and what you yanks seems to forget that not many people had a choice of dabbling into FF prior to VII as im pretty sure it was the first FF released global, i never seen a FF game on my shores prior to that and im playing computer games as long as i can remember (over 20 years).

So yeah, FFVII put the final fantasy series on a bigger map, because it was marketed and released in every country. I even remember the TV adds for FFVII, i remember being so excited getting it from all the hype my friends gave it, then when i played the first mission i was pissed off as i thought it was crap, but then it just got better and better.

And the reason it gets alot of praise to date is simply due to the fact that the other FF's released after it were no where close as good a story as FFVII offered, i understand some will disagree, we have our own preferences. But the majority will say its the best, because its the best they've played.

If FFV and the other supposed greats were released over here, I'm sure my opinion might be different, but it wasn't so i never played them

Heck i still have alot of NTSC rpg's i still need to play, but have no desire to now as they are dated.

If only

Lady Succubus Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Actually FF1 was the first to come to our shores. FF4 became 2 on the SNES, FF6 became 3 on the SNES, and then we get FF7 which is actually FF7 on the PS1.

For some reason, we didn't get the actual FF2, 3, 4, 5, 6 until certain PS1 compilations came out. Namely Anthologies with 5 and 6, and Chronicles with 4 and Chrono Trigger.

And then Origins with 1 and 2. Then FF3 on the DS finally.

So yeah... people our age have had plenty of chances to play FF2-3/4-6.

Permanently banned Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated?
    Because Square (now Square Enix) went so far as to make a movie about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Sheena View Post
    Actually FF1 was the first to come to our shores. FF4 became 2 on the SNES, FF6 became 3 on the SNES, and then we get FF7 which is actually FF7 on the PS1.

For some reason, we didn't get the actual FF2, 3, 4, 5, 6 until certain PS1 compilations came out. Namely Anthologies with 5 and 6, and Chronicles with 4 and Chrono Trigger.

We eventually had the chance, too little too late, for me anyway.

I tried playing FFV but just couldn't put myself through it, and that was a good few years ago i tried

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    ... and what you yanks seems to forget that not many people had a choice of dabbling into FF prior to VII as im pretty sure it was the first FF released global, i never seen a FF game on my shores prior to that ...
    If it's correct that FFVII was the first Final Fantasy game available to you, it wouldn't matter anyway. What's your point? It would mean the same thing -- it was the first Final Fantasy you played, so it became your favorite. Whether you had the chance to play prior Final Fantasy games or not i completely irrelevant.

Not playing other Final Fantasy games would be ignorance. Refusing to play other Final Fantasy games -- and still insisting that your favorite is the "best" -- is arrogance.

Hell, I was a huge fan of FFIV (FFII on SNES), FFVI (FFIII on SNES), and even FF: Mystic Quest before the Playstation was even developed. Mystic Quest was my first Final Fantasy (I believe ... I dunno, could have been FFII SNES), and I actually went and found a copy of the original Final Fantasy to play in my NES.

Besides, FFVI was released in Europe in '99. That's not long after FFVII's 1997 release. No excuses.

The first vehicle I owned is a 1998 Ford Ranger. Following the same logic that some people do with FFVII, I could claim that the 1998 Ford Ranger is the best vehicle ever made. Of course, I might not hav driven too many vehicles since then, and I may have no idea what older vehicles are like -- so I'm completely ignorant of anything else -- but dammit, it's the best!

Not playing other Final Fantasy games would be ignorance. Refusing to play other Final Fantasy games -- and still insisting that your favorite is the "best" -- is arrogance.
    Arrogance? hummm no its an opinion, I suggest you look up the word. As thats how pointless this convo is, your arguing opinions.

Your also missing the main point of my rabble, i thought it was pretty clear.

If the final fantasy games prior to 7 were released when everybody else got them i would have played them most likely. I didnt want to play them years after they were made as they look crap and boring to play by then.

Your point about FFVI released on my shores in 1999 (im pretty sure that date is incorrect, for my country anyway), Why didnt i play a 16bit game that was 5 years old in 1999? Because i was busy enjoying the current games that looked alot better and more fun to play.

Actually i remember trying to play an emulated version of FFVI, thats the one with kefka in it isnt it? I thought that was FFV.. ANYWAY I got up to that fella with the airship and then stopped playing, just wasnt feeling it. Annoyed me to play and tbh it was fairly boring up to that point, im sure it would have got better though, im sure i would have enjoyed it if i had it for my snes in 1994!!

Plus FF8 was out that year, and soul calibur, tiberian sun, system shock2, counter strike, i was knee deep in great games to play, oh wait hang on!!, let me whip out my snes and play a game thats over 5 years old instead! bah!

The Fire Still Burns... Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? Starfire's Avatar
    I think that it is overated because every man and his dog has played it, but not given the others a chance, thats the only reason I can think of to be perfectly honest.

The game itself was brilliant, but the fact that everyone has played it and that SquareEnix are using it too much as a source of income s disappointing.

I want to play a game. Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? Zargabaath's Avatar

Battle? Not bad. Not much different than FFVI, other than the three characters instead of four, and the addition of Limit Breaks. The long-ass Summon cutscenes did get annoying though.

Graphics? Yay, it's 3D. Yay, they got to 32-bit graphics. They still sucked. Because of Squaresoft's rush, the graphics weren't nearly as refined as other games that were released at about the same time.
    Are battles that much different from a Final Fantasy to another? To me, the battles are not that much different; Final Fantasy XII is the most different compared to whole series as it had differences that were very distinguishable.

The "graphics" thing brings along confusion to the debate. On one side you have people saying they were horrible; on the other side you have the many reviews saying how great they were at the time. Have Final Fantasy VII's graphics survived the test of time? No, I would say all old games I haven't because graphics are way better. Do graphics stop me from playing Final Fantasy VII or older games and enjoying them? No. I am a Final Fantasy fan; I may have started off late due to my circumstances but I still went back and beat the main series and some of the spinoffs.

I hate to play devil's advocate a little bit, but...

There's still a big difference. Magicite was used do develop CHARACTERS -- the character itself advanced. Not the magicite. So, for one thing, every character was different in the sense that it took more than trading equipment to make one character into another. Sure, eventually they could learn the same spells, but the characters would have to learn them -- Edgar and Sabin were two different characters, and making them trade equipment kept them the same characters they were.

For another, each character had their own unique ability that distinguished them from the others. The only unique abilities FFVII had were Limit Breaks. The way I played (at least), limit breaks didn't matter much, as they were "bonuses", not set abilities -- this is in direct contrast to FFVI, where parties were established based on what abilities complimented each other. (For example, you wouldn't want to put Relm with Gau or Umaro, as their attacks might screw up her Control.
    What Telegraph said is true, the difference is in how open each system was. In both games you could make any character whatever you wanted with some exclusions. In Final Fantasy VI though the character learned the spell while the materia grew in Final Fantasy VII; so all that you are griping about Sasquatch is "how fast the player can make a character into something". Both system are open, it is not rigid like: Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy IV, or Final Fantasy IX. I would like if they re-introduced special character abilities in the series however in Final Fantasy VI that just makes the unique on a miniscule scale.

Weapons? Oh look, a gigantic sword, so big and unwieldy that nobody could ever realistically use it. Oh look, the bad guy has one, too. Oh look, there are guns -- and apparently, being shot with a machine gun doesn't do any more damaged than being punched or hit with a staff. Wait, what?
    I would like to point out something. This something is very imporant for it establishes the rules (somewhat) to the series as a whole and the games individually. Final Fantasy. The games are a fantasy setting so yes, a person could wield a gigantic sword that nobody could realistically use (in Dissidia they do explain which is pretty epic: Cloud can wield the sword because his burdens weigh more than the sword), people can survive multiple gunshot wounds, guns do as much being punched, two blonde, white kids being native to the desert (Vaan and Penelo) and a lot of white people npcs too, Ashe was white and had fair hair, in VIII they still use old weapons, MAGIC, etc. It may not make sense in reality but it does not have to make sense in the first place.

Sidequests? Apart from having completely friggin' useless bosses, mediocre, irrelevant minigames (and an entire city devoted to them), and a Chocobo breeding system that doesn't show its value unless you know from an outside source how to use it ... well, apart from all that, it didn't have much for sidequests.
    A lot of optional bosses in the Final Fantasy series haven't been that useful, they are there as a test of strenght and skill to the player to see how well they have used the system. The Gold Saucer was an awesome place; there were many "irrelevant" mini-games, but they were fun, entertaining, and allowed the player to do something else besides continue with the story, grind, etc. I never really did the chocobo breeding system but it is called trial and error. Go to gamefaqs and you will see that people have created walkthroughs of normal and special playthroughs that were done by trial and error to get the most optimized path.

I agree that a lot of these people probably like 7 the best because it was huge for the US's RPG market, although I'm pretty sure it was huge in Japan, too. Remember that poll a few years back that I think Cain posted a link to? The thread is so old that I can't find it anymore (maybe it was deleted?) but FF7 was #2 behind FF10 for Japan's top 100 games ever. (I remember that not one Mario game even made the list, either.) It's been a few years now, so a top 100 list might be different now, but... just sayin'.

Personally, I think FF7 is overrated because a lot of people like it the best, and I don't. A lot of people think that Sephiroth is one of the greatest villains ever, and Cloud is one of the best heroes ever... and I don't (in fact, I'm pretty much flat out tired of Sephiroth by now.) Eh *Shrug* Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom
    Final Fantasy VII did something that Final Fantasy IV nor Final Fantasy VI did - it brought the Final Fantasy series to a new height in Japan, almost to the level of Dragon Quest, and more importantly it brought the Final Fantasy series outside of Japan to the height it is now. Final Fantasy VII is the most selling Final Fantasy, therefore it would not be irrational to say that a lot of people like Final Fantasy VII or that it is their favourite. Call it envy, jealousy or whatnot, Final Fantasy VI did not have the same affect on the market as Final Fantasy VII plain and simple; the SNES was a very popular console and the playstation was just getting started so it is not due to that.

That list you are talking about Telegraph is the Famitsu Top 100 videogames of all time; it was released in 2006 and yes, Final Fantasy VII was # 2. Where do the Final Fantasys rank on that list?
    Final Fantasy - 63
    Final Fantasy II - 60
    Final Fantasy III - 8
    Final Fantasy IV - 6
    Final Fantasy V - 15
    Final Fantasy VI - 25
    Final Fantasy VII - 2
    Final Fantasy VIII - 22
    Final Fantasy IX - 24
    Final Fantasy X - 1
    Final Fantasy X-2 - 32

Final Fantasy VII is an over-rated game from the divine praise it gets, especially from people who have not played other games in the series (there are plenty who have only played like VII, X and XII or X-2). However, it is still a great game and one of the best in the series.

As far as their weapons go ... Realistically, different characters are going to be able to use some of the same weapons. Each and every character (save Umaro, of course) could use multiple types of weapon -- staves, spears, swords, daggers, etc. It wouldn't make sense for any character to be able to use one type of weapon and only one type of weapon. That'd be like saying I drive a light pickup truck, so that means I wouldn't be able to drive a larger pickup truck, an SUV, a sports car, a sedan, a station wagon, a golf cart, a semi truck, a farm tractor, etc. etc.

(Of course you have characters with special traits, like Sabin, that can use specific types and none others, but this by no means spreads to the entire cast.)
    Think of it as the characters being specialists with their respective weapon type. So those who can wield different weapons may be proficient but not masters. You don't think of Edgar as a swordmaster as Cloud or Auron would be but as being able to use swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Sheena View Post

That reason should be known by people here. I'm surprised someone of your calibur would not know. Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI are not relevant because they were released outside of Japan though not with their correct number. Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy III, and Final Fantasy V were not released outside of Japan because Square thought that the rest of the world would not be able to understand/comprehend the game systems for each game i.e., they thought we were dumb. Final Fantasy III also as an added reason: Square did not release outside, though they were thinking of, because Final Fantasy IV was about to be released and that Final Fantasy IV was easier to understand.

Arrogance? hummm no its an opinion, I suggest you look up the word. As thats how pointless this convo is, your arguing opinions.

Your also missing the main point of my rabble, i thought it was pretty clear.

If the final fantasy games prior to 7 were released when everybody else got them i would have played them most likely. I didnt want to play them years after they were made as they look crap and boring to play by then.

Your point about FFVI released on my shores in 1999 (im pretty sure that date is incorrect, for my country anyway), Why didnt i play a 16bit game that was 5 years old in 1999? Because i was busy enjoying the current games that looked alot better and more fun to play.
    Refusing not to play other Final Fantasy games and insisting that out of the few or one the player as has played is arrogant, foolish, and very subjective because you are only judging by iteslf or with a few other Final Fantasies. If Person A only played Final Fantasy X-2 and said that was the greatest Final Fantasy of all time and refuses to play the rest - that is stupid and their opinion does not matter or hold weight at all. How can Person A be so sure that Final Fantasy X-2 is the greatest when they have/will not play the rest of the series to validate their opinion? By not doing so that shows that Person A maybe scared that another Final Fantasy maybe better and that their old favourite was crappy and that they were foolish to think that Final Fantasy X-2 was the greatest.

The graphics of a game do not a game crappy, bad, horrible, etc (except for Constantine for PS2 that was very crappy that it is allowed to take a toll on an already bad game). The first Final Fantasy I beat was FF X, but I wanted to go back and play I-IX because they were Final Fantasies and my friends had said that they were good. Graphics should always be the least most important factor in grading an RPG. Lair looks better than Final Fantasy 16-bit era of Final Fantasy, but those games are better than it.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 10-16-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Quote Originally Posted by Zargabaath View Post
    Refusing not to play other Final Fantasy games and insisting that out of the few or one the player as has played is arrogant, foolish, and very subjective because you are only judging by iteslf or with a few other Final Fantasies. If Person A only played Final Fantasy X-2 and said that was the greatest Final Fantasy of all time and refuses to play the rest - that is stupid and their opinion does not matter or hold weight at all. How can Person A be so sure that Final Fantasy X-2 is the greatest when they have/will not play the rest of the series to validate their opinion? By not doing so that shows that Person A maybe scared that another Final Fantasy maybe better and that their old favourite was crappy and that they were foolish to think that Final Fantasy X-2 was the greatest.

The graphics of a game do not a game crappy, bad, horrible, etc (except for Constantine for PS2 that was very crappy that it is allowed to take a toll on an already bad game). The first Final Fantasy I beat was FF X, but I wanted to go back and play I-IX because they were Final Fantasies and my friends had said that they were good. Graphics should always be the least most important factor in grading an RPG. Lair looks better than Final Fantasy 16-bit era of Final Fantasy, but those games are better than it.
    Show me where i said FF7 was the greatest in the series... Ok you cant, because i didnt...

FF7 is my fav FF ive played, nothing more.. i refuse to play the FF's before meerley because i dont enjoy playing dated games (Yes ive tried). It may not be a factor for you, but it is for me, in the end its own personnel taste, i enjoy good graphics aswell as the rest.

And to this day FF7 is still half decent to play, alot easier on the eye than FFVI and all FF's before, it raised the bar alot higher than the ones before did in terms of everything, and thats why it gets deemed over rated.

Show me where i said FF7 was the greatest in the series... Ok you cant, because i didnt...

FF7 is my fav FF ive played, nothing more.. i refuse to play the FF's before meerley because i dont enjoy playing dated games (Yes ive tried). It may not be a factor for you, but it is for me, in the end its own personnel taste, i enjoy good graphics aswell as the rest.

And to this day FF7 is still half decent to play, alot easier on the eye than FFVI and all FF's before, it raised the bar alot higher than the ones before did in terms of everything, and thats why it gets deemed over rated.

First part I was going along with what Sasquatch said and so the "being very subjective because you are only..." was meant as the player, not specifically you; my error.

You are a sad part of the gaming community where graphics are such an important part of what games you play and like. Unfortunately it appears you cannot see that graphics don't make the game, especially with RPGs, so you will have this "poor" taste in video games till you mature in this aspect.

Let me know when Final Fantasy VII becomes dated because that's when you won't be able to play your favourite Final Fantasy. It would be interesting to know how much of a fan to the series you are and how great or how much you liked Final Fantasy VII. If Final Fantasy VII is one of your favourite games of all time it would be hilarious to hear you explain how you don't like playing one of your favourite games because you are a "graphics lady of the evening" (I'm not calling you a woman if you aren't either*).

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Bananarama Why is FINAL FANTASY VII overrated? Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I didn't read the thread, so my apologies if I just rehash anything already said.

VII is a good game, but it's definitely not the best there is, or ever was. IV and VI both top it, but that doesn't change the fact that VII was MY favorite. Truth be told, I got VII for my 13th birthday, and it instantly became one of my favorite games. I think this was the same deal with the majority of people. I don't mean the majority of people HERE, but a majority of gamers. It was kind of the gateway drug, if you will. You play VII, and it engrosses you in ways that Sonic or Mario really can't.

That being said, I think people will always remember their first, be it lover, girlfriend or videogame. My first was Sonic 1 way back in 1992, when I was 6. My first FF was VII. Naturally, after I beat VII, I was really intrigued by the rest of the series. Being a dumb noob at life, I assumed that I-VI were all prequels to the story, so I started picking up the other games, whether it be for emulator or those special PS1 collections. Was I disappointed that they weren't part of the VII story, a tiny bit at first, and then I became engrossed in those storylines and characters. It's safe to say with 100% certainty that without FFVII, I wouldn't have really played RPGs at all, and I probably wouldn't have stumbled upon this little site.

VII was a good game, in fact a great game, but it's not the best FF or RPG out there by a long shot. It was however one of the best selling and most over-marketed games for that time period, and I feel like a lot of hype comes from that. Even though the graphics weren't the best they could've been, they were pretty solid, and the story was also good. It was also 3 discs long, which when I first picked it up was incredible.

Were the characters virtually identical in battle, with the exception of limit breaks, yes. Were they as developed as in IV or VI, absolutely not. Was Sephiroth the greatest villain ever, not a shot. Did the game have a certain charm to it, that made playing it a fun experience every single time I picked it up, absolutely.

One thing that I really loved about VII was the vernacular. Everything felt and just sounded so real. You go into the shitty neighborhoods in real life, and people talk like they do in the Midgar slums. It had a gritty, real feel to it. Little things like that helped to win me over.

Long story short, VII is overrated, but it is still a great game in itself.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I can't argue with you, you clearly haven't read any of my posts or grasped my point to any extent.

Your also being very very ignorant yourself, as if your view on games is the be all and end all of how games should be rated. Wake the **** up mate, everybody has a preference and ive better things to be doing with my time than playing a game thats more than 15 years old and looks and sounds like complete poo.

FFVI looks like shit, FFVII doesnt..

Plus FF8 was out that year, and soul calibur, tiberian sun, system shock2, counter strike, i was knee deep in great games to play, oh wait hang on!!, let me whip out my snes and play a game thats over 5 years old instead! bah!
    With your "irrationality" a game that is old is boring to play, but when it was new it would/could have been enjoyable. Do you see how flawed and irrational that is? How old a game is does not impact how fun the game is. If a game is fun then it is fun. Videogames do not age like milk. Also you seem to be worried about playing the latest "hip" games out because of some insecurity you may have in playing an old game and beeing seen as a "loser"; that's what I'm feeling here.

I can't argue with you, you clearly haven't read any of my posts or grasped my point to any extent.

Your also being very very ignorant yourself, as if your view on games is the be all and end all of how games should be rated. Wake the **** up mate, everybody has a preference and ive better things to be doing with my time than playing a game thats more than 15 years old and looks and sounds like complete poo.

FFVI looks like shit, FFVII doesnt..
    I have read your posts. I do grasp your "points". Your "points" are irrational. Your "points" show how much of a fan of videogames you are which turns out you are mainly, excuse my bluntness everybody else as I held back last time, a graphics whore. That is a major part of why you game, forget about gameplay, story, characters, music, all which are more important in an RPG and for most other genres as well. Graphics are at the low end of the spectrum; realizing that or not is up to the individual and if they don't it makes them a fool.

Because all 15 year old games look and sould like poo and are horrible to play. Because graphics are the end all, be all of what games people should play. While Final Fantasy VI may not be my favourite, and I feel over-rated, the music from that game is tied, in my opinion, for first place in the entire series; tons of great sounding songs from a SNES game. There are tons of games that had great music back in the day, but to say that all old games are complete trash when you have not played them are don't give them a fair chance because you are ageist relating to games.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 10-18-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast