Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need a good reason to play FF7.

I need a good reason to play FF7.

Not a big fan of the new sci fi punk emo stuff, but I did enjoy FF8 alot. It was original, unusual and unique. On the other hand, what does FF7 have that's stands out? Does it have villains and plot as grand and ominous as in FF6? Does it have original and complex battle system? Are the towns, places and characters memorable? Are locations and continents diverse or are they all similar? Or is it just another traditional type "called to save the world" FF in 3d in a futuristic steam punk setting?

FF7 has an evil villain. Characters were cool. Story was better than 8. Locations were cool. Scenes are cool. The whole game in general is a great game. It's just the mainstream version, EVERYONE likes it it seems. I mean on the back of the old PS1 case it says something like "Destined to be the Greatest game of all time"

You will love the Materia System, it lets you customize your characters.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

How is the story better than in 8? Is the conflict apparent from the start like "an evil empire" or does it unfold slowly with twists and stuff?

It doesn't involve time travel and crazy plot holes and this LOL WE WERE FRIENDS AS KIDS LOL.OL.OL.

I found those 3 the biggest crap parts in the whole game of FF8.

My opinion is 7 is better than 8. Gotta play it for yourself, I'm not you unfortunately.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Craziness is what made it cool imo. It wasn't the best but pretty funky.

Everything else about FF8 was really cool. Disk 1 is still one of my favourite parts of any Final Fantasy to play.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth I need a good reason to play FF7. Xanatos's Avatar
    Even though I consider this game to be highly overrated FF VII has still a lot going for it making your playthrough worth your while. Materia system for instance, like junction system it's easily exploited but fun to mess around with nevertheless. There are lots of sidequests and mini games for you to go through, and optional bosses can be genuinely challenging. I'm not overly fond of the main protagonist and antagonist, but there are some great characters outthere like Tifa, Cid and Vincent. Long story short, you should definitely give it a go.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Boxer of the Galaxy I need a good reason to play FF7. Rowan's Avatar
    FF7 is one of the greatest and most epic games I have ever played. The story is rich with character, scenario, art, music, prologue and epilogue (if you are interested in Crisis Core/Advent children/dirge of cerberus/before crisis). It is very unique and has a very rewarding battle system and mini games (probably not as rewarding as Triple Triad, but fun nevertheless). Oh, what I would give to be able to play and experience FF7 for the first time again. The world map is great and the locations are awesome. There are few side bosses, but there are many optional things to discover and invest your time into. Ever gone on a rollercoaster where you gain points and prizez for shooting targets while you are on it? Like having battle royale's for rare prizes and materia? Enjoy breeding and racing your very own chocobo, or prefer to sit back and bet on another? Or would you like to man a missle launching submarine and sink enemy vessals while you scour the depths of the ocean! Theres so much stuff you can do and lots of it becomes available to you 1/6 of the way through the game. This is a title that you should definitely play from start to finish.

TL: DR Tifa wears orthopedic bra's, Rude is nice, Cloud pissed in his drawers and Barrett is a marshmellow.

Yeah, sounds fun. I think I'll have to see what the hype was all about for myself then. Not fond of protagonist/antagonist thing though makes me doubt I'll like it too much because of that. Are they too plain or predictable?

Quote Originally Posted by Odin1199 View Post
    Yeah, sounds fun. I think I'll have to see what the hype was all about for myself then. Not fond of protagonist/antagonist thing though makes me doubt I'll like it too much though. Are they too plain or predictable?
    Subject to perception.

Hurry up and get'a'gamin! tell us what you think of it as you play through it.

Can I play it on PC?

Yeah sure. Its available on steam, and that even comes with trophies and cheats. I prefer to play it on console, personally. Feels nicer.

Cool, I'll get it on Steam then. I played FF8 on PC as well, so I'm fine with PC's.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth I need a good reason to play FF7. Xanatos's Avatar
    Not fond of protagonist/antagonist thing though makes me doubt I'll like it too much because of that. Are they too plain or predictable?
    The same way Tidus is way too upbeat to some people Cloud is way too angsty in my opinion, it gets even worse in Advent Children. Sephiroth on the other hand is apparently the most powerful being in the universe and a brilliant tactician, with that advantage in mind and far more chances than any other villain in franchise he failed to do anything remotely on the scale of what Kefka, Ultimecia, especially Kuja and Vayne did, he does however have interesting backstory so I'll give him that. That's just me though, you may actually love them.

FF8 is on Steam now as well.
    The FF7 release on Steam is very nice, I bought it. The game looks way better in Battles and everything just runs smoother. Worth the buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Yeah sure. Its available on steam, and that even comes with trophies and cheats. I prefer to play it on console, personally. Feels nicer.
    You can plug in a controller to play on Steam on sure.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    The same way Tidus is way too upbeat to some people Cloud is way too angsty in my opinion, it gets even worse in Advent Children. Sephiroth on the other hand is apparently the most powerful being in the universe and a brilliant tactician, with that advantage in mind and far more chances than any other villain in franchise he failed to do anything remotely on the scale of what Kefka, Ultimecia, especially Kuja and Vayne did, he does however have interesting backstory so I'll give him that. That's just me though, you may actually love them.
    Yeah, that's kind of disappointing. I like villains that go large scale like Kefka more. A villain that doesn't have a grand vision isn't a very good one. He can be smart, tactical, but he needs to be ambitious.

He is pretty determined to this cause throughout the game.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

From what I've read, he's really bent on screwing with protagonists. Other than that, what else?

Consistently Average I need a good reason to play FF7. Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eh you've probably made up your mind already, but you should get it because it's a Final Fantasy and you can't go wrong with the main series.

If you ignore VII's rabid fanbase and its haters (not talking about anyone here btw) and go into it with an open mind, you wont be disappointed. I really enjoyed VII, the first disk would probably be my favourite though. You do most of the travelling in that one and from memory it has the most variety in terms of places you travel/things to do.

It's got a good soundtrack too, I have it on my phone and laptop, so I can always listen to it where ever i'm at.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

You're ruining your experience by looking into the game and quizzing it, you already know of Sephiroth, thats too much information going into this game for a beginner.

A villans master plan isnt what makes a good FF game, its the journey you take and how fluid the story unfolds, and FF7 does the best job of doing that than any other FF game IMO

So, install FF7 on your PC, stop fishing for info and get back to us with updates on how you're progressing through the game, you will not be disappointed, i promise!

Queen I need a good reason to play FF7. Crescent's Avatar
    Folks, if you really like video games. Like if you really, really like video games and appreciate them as a medium, you need to at least play FFVII. You don’t have to like it. You don’t have to beat it. But you need to at least ****ing play it. smh.

FFVII has the most rabid fanbase on both sides of the spectrum and that probably won’t ever help you enjoy it. It sounds like you were unfortunate in getting a negative bias for the game without even experiencing it yourself unless you get a pathetic kick out of of going to game forums n hearing people whine which im sure you do esp when it concerns one of the best videogames of all time- FFVII.

If you were interested in playing it by now you wouldnt be dawdling here and as fishing for info..If you love playing games, then you disregard other peoples opinion of them n go out and play and experience them for your own satisfaction and not be swayed by (popular) opinion.

It seems you have already made up your mind about the game. Troll bait thread is troll bait.

I'm just the kind of guy who likes to read about the games abit before trying them. If I invest time in a game, I want it to be good. I don't want to worry that some part of it is bad and have to end up spending time only to hate some parts of it later on. The rabid hate base is what kind of worries me. If the game is that good, why hate on it? Do other FF's have such negative rabids? Don't think so. So that's why I want to know. I want to cross out the possibility of it being a PS1's Mario 64 that was there to make it look good and be state of the art console because of 3d gfx and new rendering. So far though the game looks promising because of freedom of exploration and extra content. This is very important for me. Materia system also sounds interesting and I want to see how it compares to FF8's system. Villain is abit lame though, but oh well. Seems his goals are pure vengeance and vengeance is for pussies. I hoped for a more large scale type villain, but I guess FF's have too much of that anyways, so I can live with it I guess. Next question is, is there alot of secrets and extra things to do? Extra spells, bosses, dungoens, espers, etc? Well, yes I guess. Now convoluted story with angsty emo chars is abit bad, from what I've researched, but I can ignore it's lame core.
    Last edited by Odin1199; 02-06-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Well I consider FFVII to be one of the greatest games of all time as well so a couple of you on this forum are definitely not alone but Odin1199 with that last response you appeared to have proven Crescent right. I suppose Id like to know if you have any interest in playing FF7 at all at this point. It looks suspicious having already formed quite a strong guarded opinion about a game and knowing a tad too much about it having never played it. I hope that you do give a FF7 a go. Those queries you have would be better answered once you begin you first FF7 playthrough. Good luck.

Queen I need a good reason to play FF7. Crescent's Avatar
    I'm just the kind of guy who likes to read about the games abit before trying them.
    We aint talkin bout "abit" here. You've seemed to have done more than enough "research" without even playing the game(source) yourself. In this instance dont hate the game hate the player.

If I invest time in a game, I want it to be good. I don't want to worry that some part of it is bad and have to end up spending time only to hate some parts of it later on.The rabid hate base is what kind of worries me. If the game is that good, why hate on it? Do other FF's have such negative rabids? Don't think so. So that's why I want to know.

The exact same thing could be said about everything else whether it'd be videogames, movies, books or even artists..

Wow.

Everyone hates everything popular, especially on the internet#hipsterdouches Its as simple as that. Most recent example- The Last Of Us.

I want to cross out the possibility of it being a PS1's Mario 64 that was there to make it look good and be state of the art console because of 3d gfx and new rendering.
    Your trying too hard.

So far though the game looks promising because of freedom of exploration and extra content. This is very important for me.
    Extremely important esp in a FF. Your in luck.

Materia system also sounds interesting and I want to see how it compares to FF8's system.
    Then play the game T_T

Villain is abit lame though, but oh well. Seems his goals are pure vengeance and vengeance is for pussies.
    Going into FF7 with that attitude, you'd probably still think the same at the end of the game if you actually finish it.

Next question is, is there alot of secrets and extra things to do? Extra spells, bosses, dungoens, espers, etc? Well, yes I guess.
    Plenty. Play de game T________T

Now convoluted story with angsty emo chars is abit bad, from what I've researched, but I can ignore it's lame core.
    I think the story is so well written and one of my favourites in any videogame. The 9 playable main characters all interact with each other and have their own unique personalities that compliment one another. "angsty" "emo" characters- Havent heard those before. The characters and their backstories are fleshed out very well.

Any more "spoilers" Why dont we just play FF7 for you.

Certified tech, come at me! I need a good reason to play FF7. SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You don't have to play FFVII if you're skeptical about it, you're not really missing much (inb4 except everything that was awesome about it, don't listen to this guy, don't let him talk you down from playing it, etc.). Anyways, I would just take a look at each Final Fantasy game, check out the ones you are really interested in, and start with those first.

My advice is to not linger around FFVII if you don't feel like playing it, plenty of other good FFs out there. If you want to be really adventurous, play some Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. That game has some fun gameplay to it, good soundtrack, the story is ok but it is enjoyable for what it is.
    Currently Playing:

I played FF Mystic Quest like 3 times actually. Cool game. FF6 is what I'm really enjoying replaying again. It's like going to visit your well known relatives again. Great feeling. Anyhow, I did research and read how Cloud and Sephiroth influenced alot of future FF's and mainstreamed them with their angsty, emo type traits. What can you guys say about that comment? It bears alot of gravity. If true then I'm becoming more disappointed with how FF's are being made. Good news is that characters and story don't have to be perfect for me, in order to enjoy a game. Content is more important.

Consistently Average I need a good reason to play FF7. Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It'd be interesting to read that research, because I can't think of any emo or agnsty characters in FF (you could include Squall, I guess, but he's more of a social recluse). If anything we're getting more and more 'pretty' boys and very less Sabins, Aurons and Basches (big , hairy tough guys).

It honestly looks like your just trolling us now, which is a shame. It was fun at first to be able to tell you all the reasons why we like VII and why you should play it, but now it's turned into another Cloud/Sephiroth/VII rant and we've had whole threads about that.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Next question is, is there alot of secrets and extra things to do? Extra spells, bosses, dungoens, espers, etc?
    Most definitely among top FF's in that regard.

Anyhow, I did research and read how Cloud and Sephiroth influenced alot of future FF's and mainstreamed them with their angsty, emo type traits. What can you guys say about that comment? It bears alot of gravity.
    This sound highly incorrect. Zidane, Tidus, Vaan were all laid back characters, even Squall was more of a lone wolf that eventually evolved beyond that, and don't get me started on villains.

Honestly, just play the damn game. VII has a lot of great things to offer, like Turks which I forgot to mention in my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Zisa View Post
    If anything we're getting more and more 'pretty' boys and very less Sabins, Aurons and Basches (big , hairy tough guys).
    I have to wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, FF definitely needs more characters like Basch and Auron.

Registered User I need a good reason to play FF7. Sheechiibii's Avatar
    I say you should play it. I don't like VII all that much (by that I mean it's one of my least favourite of the FF series, but I still do really like it) but a lot of people do. The story has a lot of plot twists and surprises and providing you haven't seen too many spoilers there's some really shocking revelations, so that makes for an interesting story. Er...that's probably about all I can say in favour of it though. A lot of people like the Materia system, a lot of people love the story and characters, a lot of people think the sidequests are amazing, but I didn't really fall in love with any of it to be honest. I thought the materia system was a bore, the sidequests were all right but nothing special, and the story and characters never really made me care a great deal about them. It took me three times playing it to actually finish cause I kept getting bored. But! That's just my personal preferences, and so many people love the game that I would definitely say it's worth a try yourself because the story if you do like it has amazing and surprising twists. Even thought I didn't find it spectacular, I did find it enjoyable and I would say it's worth at least trying.

You mention that you're worried about how many people hate the game. Well you liked FFVIII didn't you? I think VIII has many more people who hate it than FFVII ( and this is coming from someone who adores VIII) it all comes down to preferences, so you'll never really know until you play it. Some people love it, some people hate it, and some people are in the middle like I am.
    Last edited by Sheechiibii; 02-08-2014 at 05:54 PM.

"Everyone was so happy. 'Great job. You did it. You saved us... all.' There were too many smiles to count.
    But now...When I look back... The people who should be here aren't.
    The ones who should be smiling with me aren't here."

I'm thinking of how I should play it. I like the idea of using a PSP emulator on my Note2. Outdated gfx will look better on a smaller screen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast