Thread: Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series

The Quiet One Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

News Post Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series

Square Enix has sent out a press release about the upcoming Final Fantasy VII remake with a sentence that hints at the unexpected direction that they plan to take with the classic game. They refer to the remake as a multi-part series that will have unique experiences for each part. The multi-part segment of the sentence will get the most attention as the game was release as a single product, though over three discs. And there is no explanation on how they plan to release the game by doing this. Though it may be a way for them to get parts of the game out sooner to the fans. However, the other part that should be equal interest to fans is the unique experience. It is very vague wording, but it could mean different sort of gameplay with each or they could just be referring to the story being in parts.

The full take from the press release.

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 6, 2015) - During this past weekend’s PlayStation Experience in San Francisco, SQUARE ENIX® debuted a new trailer for FINAL FANTASY® VII REMAKE, the full remake of the award-winning role-playing game, FINAL FANTASY VII. The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.
    Source: Sounds Like The Final Fantasy VII Remake Will Be Episodic
    Attached Images Attached Images Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series-ffviilogo-jpg 
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Boxer of the Galaxy Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series Rowan's Avatar
    *cries*

The Quiet One Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's an odd move for Square to make. I'd like to see more clarification on this, since people are going to very quickly blow up over this.

Me being the more positive outlooker, I considered something that may actually be a really smart move, if this is what they're trying to do. Ignoring outliers like Fallout and the Witcher, one thing that really turns non-RPG players off a lot of time is the time investment they involve. And even just older RPG players, they don't have the time that they did when they were kids to play a 60 hour RPG anymore. They want to play, they just don't have the time. And the 10 hour game experience is something very desired by the more casual base.

So their intent may to be give something that RPG fans with families and lives and more casual people scared off by massive RPG time sinks in. The game is already on 3 three discs and have some fairly good stopping points for cliffhangers. They may try to deliver the game in 10 hour segments or something to build a new audience.

I'll freely admit this is a strange and weird move. Never heard of an episodic RPG really that was specifically designed to have a segmented story. Xenosaga was all designed as six games, not six segments of one story. .hack is the closest thing, though it still felt more like it was built as 4 games rather than one game and one story.

The other goal maybe for them to get something out to the fans that want this now. Which is an odd reason to do it. Or they could also know that they can't make the FFVII anniversary in 2017 and this is how they are going to get something out by then. Who knows. Some explanation is in order to understand their methods.

EDIT: I read a comment elsewhere on the internet that is an actual interesting possibility, but it is more likely wishful thinking. However, it might actually explain everything too. They suggested that FFVII will be whole, but you have to remember that FFVII isn't just a game. It's a series of games, mostly spin-offs. So what they could be meaning is planning on bringing the whole series of FFVII Compilation together in one unified presentation. Meaning, Crisis Core, Before Crisis, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus would all get remade along with FFVII.

I say this fits, because the part that's weird in their phrasing is that it is a unique experience in each part. FFVII isn't different as you play. However, BC is different from DC is different from AC and different from CC. So while it seems like a stretch, this is actually plausible I think.
    Last edited by Andromeda; 12-06-2015 at 09:00 PM.

The Mad God Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series Heartless Angel's Avatar
    I smell a shameless money grab... I hope I'm wrong, but I'm just thinking they're going to sell this in 3 60 dollar pieces now instead of one full game. The gaming industry as a whole has made me pretty cynical about this shit lately.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    All we really can do is speculate over the meaning. Since they've given us absolutely no further information on what this actually means. It's going to be hard to believe any of the very easy to make assumptions. If they did 3 parts, I would figure they would do $20 each.

However, right now I'm going to sit in the camp that they are just going to be remaking the entire Compilation, which would actually be great news for people that never got to play Crisis Core or Before Crisis. If that's what they mean, then this would be awesome and everyone is freaking out over nothing. It's a long shot I think, but a realistic answer to the way they worded it.

The Mad God Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series Heartless Angel's Avatar
    I have to admire your optimism, lol.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Blog Entries
    Oh I agree that I'm being pretty positive about this. But this sentence is very strange to think of when you look at FFVII as a single game.

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.
    Why would they say "unique experience" it's one game. If you split it up into parts, the experience is still consistent and the same. It would only make sense if they were bringing in multiple games.

But yes, I'm looking for the best outcome that fans would actually be happy with. ^^ However, I don't think this is a wrong answer, a possible one though. Everyone else's answers are just as equally possible, simply only because they are the expectation when you say multi-part series. But I guess if you think about it, they did say multi-part, not episodic. That could be another clue.

Certified tech, come at me! Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When you say multi-part, it almost sounds like Square is trying to re-create the experience of switching between discs like in the classic PS1 version of the game.
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries
    It is possible. It's probably why the common thought is 3 for how many parts there will be since there are 3 discs. Would be an odd thing to do unless they release it all at the same time, otherwise they aren't really emulating changing discs. Since you didn't have to pay for the discs individually or wait months or years to play the next disc.

Certified tech, come at me! Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do have one concern if they go the multi-part route, they aren't planning to do a digital only release, are they?
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries
    That would depend on the sort of multi-series product that they're making. If it is episodic for just FFVII. Then what it would probably be is you can buy the part 1 physically and the rest are available digitally upon release most likely. Later they'd bundled it all together. If they are doing what I think is possible and it's just all of the games and spin-off stuff, then individual physical releases would make sense.

So it just depends on what their planned thing is.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel View Post
    I smell a shameless money grab... I hope I'm wrong,

Wait, you mean a Remake of their most popular title isn't a Money Grab already?
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Well any game is a money grab, but a full remake from PS1 era to PS4 era man. At least they're WORKING for this money. I don't mind paying devs for their work. I do mind devs splitting already finished work into multiple packs so they can charge us for it a half dozen different times to milk more money without doing anything extra to earn it.

Boxer of the Galaxy Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series Rowan's Avatar
    Everyone read this for furthar clarification on why its being on multiple parts > more information has been shared.

This Is Why the Final Fantasy 7 Remake Is In Multiple Parts - IGN

I guess another important question, are saves going to transfer like they would from disc 1 to 2, or are these going to be 3 completely independent games?

Quote Originally Posted by Heartless Angel View Post
    I guess another important question, are saves going to transfer like they would from disc 1 to 2, or are these going to be 3 completely independent games?
    This is one of my greatest concerns.

The other concern being are we not going to be able to travel back to previous places from the other discs? This would have a huge impact on the 'free roam' aspect of the game in my opinion.

Bananarama Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Let me guess. Buy the season pass for $85+, or in ten, 15 dollar installments.

Moooooooooooooo says the cash cow
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Let me guess. Buy the season pass for $85+, or in ten, 15 dollar installments.

Moooooooooooooo says the cash cow
    If they give me what I want, they can have it.

The 37th Red Spade Final Fantasy VII Remake to be Multi-Part Series Coff9's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post

The other concern being are we not going to be able to travel back to previous places from the other discs? This would have a huge impact on the 'free roam' aspect of the game in my opinion.
    Oh, I didn't even think of that! I hope that's not what happens, but now that you mention it, I have a suspicion it might.
    ~Red Mage~~Knight Looking For Sorceress!~~Member Of The Evil Bad Guys~

TFF Family: None yet! PM me if you'd like to join!

TFF RP Status: The Tipsy-Ram Tavern --- Strange Tides (Looking for RPs and Battle-RPs! Rewriting "Council of Mages")

Currently Playing: - Final Fantasy 1 (All Red Mage Run) - Final Fantasy: Record Keeper - Clicker Heroes -

I Use TFF Dark!

Blog Entries
    For the sake of our non-forum viewers, I made a new News Article that covers all of the new details that came out. There are a lot of tiny and big pieces shattered all over the internet and parsing it all is a bit an effort.

But the big picture painted by Square, Nomura and Kitase seems to be that each part of Final Fantasy VII Remake will be a full sized RPG experience. If that is to be read correctly, it sounds like it will be equal into content/playtime/investment as a normal 40 hour RPG/$60 game. They haven't said pricing, so there is no idea if they will be charging $60 per game. Despite everything, they've still failed to really give a clear picture on the product that they're selling us. I want to know what my money is buying, how much game am I getting for my money and how long I'm waiting between releases. Because this doesn't seem like a Telltale sort of release schedule. This seems like full game development times X parts.

The interesting and positive side of things, is that they said Midgar is more explorable than before. Places we never got to go to before will be available. And since what they're doing now is the bar for the whole game. We could actually end up seeing a vastly larger world to explore. We'll actually have new things to see and find that weren't in the original. The story will still be the same, but we could be having a new experience playing Final Fantasy VII in a way that wasn't really expected.

I'm remaining positive and excited for the game. But I think they're still doing a bad job being transparent. They need to take lessons from FFXIV and FFXV dev teams and be clear and up front about things. Even if it is unfavorable news, people take it better when you're clear and honest rather than trying to cover it up because you know it's going to blow up the internet.

Blog Entries
    rumor with no credible source that i have on hand says that most of the game will be pretty much 'on rails' not really able to explore past places from different parts of ff7. like what im thinking will happen is like part 1 will be from beginning of game -> breaking out of midgar, then the next part will be from calm town to wherever else, etc. but you wont be able to go back freely into part 1 areas when youre in part 2, etc. ff7 wasnt the most non-linear game in the world to begin with but its gonna be even moreso than now, assuming what I heard is true.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Blog Entries
    Technically, aside from going back to fight Hojo, you can never return to Midgar anyway once you leave. But considering the game at the end is fully open to go and do whatever you want. I find it unlikely that they'll lock out things. At certain points in the game things are locked due to story reasons. So that could be what is being referred to.

I'm going to wait a bit on this. They say each installment is suppose to be a full game. So I am personally expecting the world of FFVII to get massively expanded upon and maybe even use some of the lore from Crisis Core and Advent Children. That way, everything that is intended to be added will make it, instead of cutting corners to fit everything into a single installment. This could turn out to be a good thing, if executed properly. If the execution turns out good, we may start to see this more in the future.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the fuck these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a fuck about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a Fuck About Us"