Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Hate FF VII?

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII? TobiasRainey's Avatar

Anyone Hate FF VII?

I'm not saying I do, but I'm just curious to see if anyone hates one of the most popular RPGs of all time.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes...or should I?

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII? kupo's Avatar

Re: Anyone Hate FF VII?

hate is such a strong word, but i do think that it gets over-hyped at times. it is a really good game and i enjoyed playing it but, honestly, i did start playing it because everyone said its the "best RPG EVER!

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man." - Balthier

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    final fantasy xiii-2
    skyrim
    pokemon fire red

I liked FFVII, I played it right when it came out because I didn't really know what an RPG was, but I don't hate the game, more like I hate the little fanboys and fangirls that wake it seem way more than it really is, whenever that happens, it makes me like whatever it is less....

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

The Persistent Flourish Anyone Hate FF VII? Alice's Avatar

I like FFVII, it's a pretty decent game. Occasionally I'll have some fun and say some parts of it suck and how Sephiroth is a mama's boy, but that's just all in good fun. No, no, it's not the game that I dislike...

It's the hardcore fans. By hardcore, I mean seriously hardcore. They can annoy the hell out of me sometimes. Damn...

So pretty much what Gypsy Elder said. Only I don't like the game any less.

The Bad Boy of TFF Anyone Hate FF VII? Block's Avatar

It brought me into a series that I had previously not explored. Now I have played through all Final Fantasy titles except for 10-2 (if anyone even counts that) and 12 (but I did see the Star Wars movies... so I mean). Is Final Fantasy VII hate worthy? A friend of mine once told me he found the beginning slow and uninteresting.

This picture is here because it came up in a Google Image search for "Uninteresting"

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Anyone Hate FF VII? Xanatos's Avatar

There's no way I could hate Final Fantasy VII due the fact that I don't even hate some game that are goddamn awful, it's those fanboys and fangirls I really hate, they think of this game too seriously.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

DAYUM I LEAVE FOR 3 YEARS AND THIS PLACE DIES Anyone Hate FF VII? Ethan Blitzball King's Avatar

I definently don't hate it but I wouldn't say I liked it either I am going to say they make it out to be bigger than it really is I have seen better games than that one
    My Blitzball Kingdom:
    My Final Fantasy Family Ralz the First Brother I had he is stuck marrying Yuna xTidus The second Brother I had he really Adores Blitzball genomes blade My youngest Brother he Really enjoys his Older Brothers' company And my Mystic Brother Vivimastermage of Chaostroph may you never play cards with him. And my Awesome Brother Fate who is just great to be around all the time I would be lost if it weren't for him and My awesome Older Brother Meier Link the Party animal And my Soul-devouring, Soon-to-be-game making brother, Alther Primus Also introduing The Graceful Lord of Chaosthroph who adores big Swords and Über Spells." Elyon My Awesome Learning Sister Himi And my Auron Loving Sister Dodie16 I introduce you to My younger sister Ann another fan of FF 10 My Fluffy, Vanilla-colored Moogle, Meigumi And my younger Sister Terra Branford the pie loving Fullmetal alchemist FF6 Obsessed If you want in and you are a fan of Blitzball send me a VM and you are welcome to come
    My Duck Legion Members:
    Ethan Can U Say Freak Silver

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII?

I'm sure that there are some people out in the world who actually do hate this game, and not just because of the rabid fanbase it created. I'm not one of those people though. I enjoyed playing FF VII a lot, and it's among my favorites in the series, and favorite games in general.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

I feel epic... Anyone Hate FF VII? Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.

I wouldn't say I despise this game... but I really despise the fanbase.

What a bunch of whiners they can be, huh? They'll fight until the end of time, it seems. Even pointing out facts that don't exist, and trying to defend characters who are simply beyond helping.

Not to say the game itself isn't devoid of flaws, but I can't point any out that haven't already been discovered and exposed. But I will say the story is dodgy at times and the gameplay is literally no different from IV, V, and VI.
    SPOILER!!:
    And Sephiroth sucks, but we knew that...

I won't complain about the graphics, because I never consider them in a game. Even though I still kick myself over Cloudo's pipe cleaner arms, as stated by Spoony.

Music is nice... but it can be devoid of emotion sometimes. I think Nobou may have been rushed for this, and thus couldn't fully think all his themes through before creating them. Although, I still love some of the themes: J-E-N-O-V-A, Birth of a God, and the Main Theme are some.

SPOILER!!:
    And Cloudo is a boring main character...

That's all I can say on that really. The sequels are entirely meaningless. The only one that was semi-required was Crisis Core, and even that could've been skipped without leaving too many plot holes. Now they're talking about a remake, and I honestly can't stand it. I hate seeing those self-blinding idiots get what they want, and us more worthy fans get a "maybe" for FFV and FFVI remakes. Ridiculous... >_>

You COULD say I hate FFVII, but 90% of it is directed at the useless fanboys/girls. Although, there do exist intelligent fans who gives honest arguments and effective criticisms... Its just that you'd be lucky to even see one of those types of fans... There really are three types of people in this world.

1. People who played the game and enjoyed it but didn't obsess over it, or they didn't play it, and thus, are the luckiest of the bunch.
    2. The people who despise this game like it killed their father or something. They are no different from fans as they will do ANYTHING to name it the worst game ever made.
    3. The remaining 60%. The absolute fans who will stop at nothing to name it the best game ever made.

Basically, put a fanboy and a hater in the same room, and blood will probably spill... o_O

So, that concludes my views on FFVII. I hate the fans, I'm annoyed by the game's popularity, and also...

SPOILER!!:
    Cait Sith is useless.
    AERITH DIES!!!!!! (Not that I care, but...)
    Yuffie is annoying.
    Mr. T, I mean Barret, is annoying.
    Vincent is an emo.
    Tifa is a bar slut.
    Red XIII is... uh... a dog/lion hybrid? Whatever...
    Finally... Sephiroth is a mama's boy.

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

SPOILER!!:
    SPOILER!!:
    SPOILER!!:
    SPOILER!!:
    Click some stuff.

Death Before Dishonor Anyone Hate FF VII? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

VII and Tacitcs are my favorite's. So I definitely don't hate it. I don't think I have ever hated a game. There have been games that I didn't care for that much, or game I personally thought sucked, but I didn't hate them.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Banned Anyone Hate FF VII?

I didn't hate it but It did get really boring quickly for me

My couch pulls out but I don't. Anyone Hate FF VII? midgetbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Block View Post
    SPOILER!!:
    SPOILER!!:
    SPOILER!!:
    SPOILER!!:
    Click some stuff.

^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^

This.

I loved it! It's still one of my favorites! Very few games I have really hated. I guess the last game I cringe at the game play is the Willow game for NES and maybe Bubble Bobble.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Anyone Hate FF VII? Polk's Avatar

Ooh, ooh, me! Pick me! OOH PICK ME I'M RAISING MY HAND!!!

Hate is a strong word. I really dislike FF7. To me, the story is lame and overly contrived, the characters are all cardboard cutouts with little to no personality, especially the main protagonist, who is an unlikeable, whining asshole who would be a much better character if he would just admit he wants to bang him some Sephiroth. Speaking of Oedipus Sephy, he's a stupid villain. The whole "lol I'm insane imma blow up the world" thing worked with Kefka, because Kefka was a clown who just did everything for the lulz of it all. Before I turn this into a full-on rant, I'm going to stop, because God knows I don't want to think about FF7 more than I have to.

I both welcome and anticipate your negative rep.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Not wanting to get into a debate with you because you didn't care for VII (your opinion), I do want to correct you on a little something.

(somewhat) Posted by James K. Polk
    Speaking of .... Sephy, he's a stupid villain. The whole "lol I'm insane imma blow up the world" thing...
    While he did go insane, Seph did NOT want to merely "blow up the world". He wanted to destroy the life that was on the planet so the souls could return to the lifestream where he would be waiting to absorb them and become a god. It wouldn't make sense if he simply wanted to "blow it up", because later, he wouldn't have been the ruler of anything, which in his mind would have been his birthright.

Not that you care to hear any of that though. I just felt it necessary to correct your information a bit. And yeah, I do realize that I'm defending a fictional character.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    Evil BAD Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    While he did go insane, Seph did NOT want to merely "blow up the world". He wanted to destroy the life that was on the planet so the souls could return to the lifestream where he would be waiting to absorb them and become a god.
    Yeah, and it would have been more effective... if the true him was sitting on his ass in some crystal for 4 years... >_>

Jenova was one of the main threats of the game, Hojo included. And to just throw the "Lolz, BTW, you weren't fighting the REAL Sephiroth, it was Jenova. We fooled you. " is annoying. Sephiroth just took back-seat to everything and have his "mommy" do all the work for him...

Not to mention, when he appeared, he never really talked. He only really spoke in Cloudo's delusions where he just sorta mocked him and never really fought... at all.

Wow, Sephiroth really is the most under-characterized villain in FF history... o_O

Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

Quote Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
    Yeah, and it would have been more effective... if the true him was sitting on his ass in some crystal for 4 years... >_>

Jenova was one of the main threats of the game, Hojo included. And to just throw the "Lolz, BTW, you weren't fighting the REAL Sephiroth, it was Jenova. We fooled you. " is annoying. Sephiroth just took back-seat to everything and have his "mommy" do all the work for him...
    While it is true that you weren't fighting the real Seph during the events of the game, he was manipulating Jenova to his will. So really, you were fighting his will. Jenova was pretty much a lifeless organism throughout the whole game, and was used by Sephiroth.

Also, he wasn't merely "sitting on his ass" during that time. He was absorbing the knowledge of the Lifestream, which is how he came to find out about the Black Materia and METEOR.

He was also in that crystallized form, because he was regenerating his body, which was another little trick that he learned to do while gathering all that lovely knowledge.

Not to mention, when he appeared, he never really talked. He only really spoke in Cloudo's delusions where he just sorta mocked him and never really fought... at all.
    What would be the fun in merely destroying your opponent so easily? Wouldn't you rather get them to do your bidding and crush their spirits first? Cloud was just a puppet to him, and not really worthy of destroying, hence the mocking and berating of his character.

Wow, Sephiroth really is the most under-characterized villain in FF history... o_O
    So that's why he has so many fans? Give the guy a little credit in being the first to have a sympathetic back story and to be an appealing character to many people. While most of it was shrouded in mystery, that just adds to his appeal, imo. We [the fans] are left wanting to know MORE about the cold, ruthless, intelligent and graceful antagonist who was once hailed as a hero, and now is the threat to the entire world in FFVII.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    Evil BAD Guys

While it is true that you weren't fighting the real Seph during the events of the game, he was manipulating Jenova to his will. So really, you were fighting his will. Jenova was pretty much a lifeless organism throughout the whole game, and was used by Sephiroth.
    Same indifference. Sephiroth sat back-seat to it all, until he had to be a man and actually FIGHT.

Also, he wasn't merely "sitting on his ass" during that time. He was absorbing the knowledge of the Lifestream, which is how he came to find out about the Black Materia and METEOR.

He was also in that crystallized form, because he was regenerating his body, which was another little trick that he learned to do while gathering all that lovely knowledge.
    He can also owe that little number to Jenova. Actually, if not for Jenova, Sephiroth would've died at the Nibelhiem reactor. When Cloudo threw him off the platform, he fused with Jenova, and somehow reappeared inside a giant rock. FFVII sense for ya.

What would be the fun in merely destroying your opponent so easily? Wouldn't you rather get them to do your bidding and crush their spirits first? Cloud was just a puppet to him, and not really worthy of destroying, hence the mocking and berating of his character.
    Sephiroth only Cloudo for the Black Materia. But, here's where I'm lost. Sephiroth had a bunch of clones running around, coming for him. Couldn't he manipulate them, too? And if he could, he wouldn't need Cloudo to get Useless Doll #1 to get the Black Materia. He could've sent the clone in to get it have another retrieve it and bring it to him. Unless, he can't which partially explains it somewhat. But, if he was control of Cloudo, why doesn't he just have Cloudo bring the materia straight to him? I don't get it... why let eight people come instead of one? Less to deal with... higher chance of actually winning.

So that's why he has so many fans? Give the guy a little credit in being the first to have a sympathetic back story and to be an appealing character to many people. While most of it was shrouded in mystery, that just adds to his appeal, imo. We [the fans] are left wanting to know MORE about the cold, ruthless, intelligent and graceful antagonist who was once hailed as a hero, and now is the threat to the entire world in FFVII.
    Sephiroth doesn't have fans. He has fanBOYs.

We hardly needed a backstory on it all. Do they really go into detail why Exdeath is the most evil thing in FFV's world and why he MUST be destroyed? They don't. They only show a mere flashback, and he's already defeated, so we can't see how strong he really was.

Did we need a backstory for Garland, the first villain in FF history? No. That's because he falls under the stereotypical cliche of "Oh, my, I just realized. I'm strong, real strong. I don't think anyone can beat me. So, I know! I'll capture the princess and get the kingdom for her exchange! WHAHAHAHA!!!" Simply, and not needing an explanation, we've seen it before...

Getting back to Sephiroth, its possible that they delve too much into his character. They literally give us everything. His father, his mother, his days in SOLDIER, his descent into insanity, and the aftermath leading to the Nibelhiem Incident. The only part that isn't really touched upon is how he was sent to the Whirlwind Maze and got so much power. Does he have a book with him that tells him everything? Who knows...

But we don't need to know that bit. We know too much, already. So much that it's more confusing that interesting... They keep throwing us a curveball... Like:

Hojo - Oh, BTW, I'm Sephy's father, Lolz.
    Lucrecia - Oh, BTW, I'm Sephy's mother, Lolz.
    Kadaj - Oh, BTW, I'm created from Sephy, Lolz.
    Sephy - Oh, BTW Cloudo, I'll be back to ruin the story in sequels, Lolz.

Just stay dead, already. Jeez... >_>

Too much info =/= well-developed character

Ugh... just watch. The next prequel/sequel/mid-quel/screw-it-all-quel, Sephiroth... will be the main character. And... we go through his childhood! And he meets this random fill-in girl who we never see in the main games, and then it goes through his life, even after the events of AC, where we see him like... lamenting or something. And then he is revived as a good guy and its happily ever after! (Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... o_O)

Long story short: Sephiroth can't compare to the other great villains. When he's not developed enough, or too developed enough, he's a bitch of a man who never fights unless he absolutely must. Yeah, great one there, Squeenix... >_>

Click THERE:
    TFF Family:

Same indifference. Sephiroth sat back-seat to it all, until he had to be a man and actually FIGHT.

He can also owe that little number to Jenova. Actually, if not for Jenova, Sephiroth would've died at the Nibelhiem reactor. When Cloudo threw him off the platform, he fused with Jenova, and somehow reappeared inside a giant rock. FFVII sense for ya.

Sephiroth only Cloudo for the Black Materia. But, here's where I'm lost. Sephiroth had a bunch of clones running around, coming for him. Couldn't he manipulate them, too? And if he could, he wouldn't need Cloudo to get Useless Doll #1 to get the Black Materia. He could've sent the clone in to get it have another retrieve it and bring it to him. Unless, he can't which partially explains it somewhat. But, if he was control of Cloudo, why doesn't he just have Cloudo bring the materia straight to him? I don't get it... why let eight people come instead of one? Less to deal with... higher chance of actually winning.

We hardly needed a backstory on it all. Do they really go into detail why Exdeath is the most evil thing in FFV's world and why he MUST be destroyed? They don't. They only show a mere flashback, and he's already defeated, so we can't see how strong he really was.

Did we need a backstory for Garland, the first villain in FF history? No. That's because he falls under the stereotypical cliche of "Oh, my, I just realized. I'm strong, real strong. I don't think anyone can beat me. So, I know! I'll capture the princess and get the kingdom for her exchange! WHAHAHAHA!!!" Simply, and not needing an explanation, we've seen it before...

Getting back to Sephiroth, its possible that they delve too much into his character. They literally give us everything. His father, his mother, his days in SOLDIER, his descent into insanity, and the aftermath leading to the Nibelhiem Incident. The only part that isn't really touched upon is how he was sent to the Whirlwind Maze and got so much power. Does he have a book with him that tells him everything? Who knows...

But we don't need to know that bit. We know too much, already. So much that it's more confusing that interesting... They keep throwing us a curveball... Like:

Just stay dead, already. Jeez... >_>

Ugh... just watch. The next prequel/sequel/mid-quel/screw-it-all-quel, Sephiroth... will be the main character. And... we go through his childhood! And he meets this random fill-in girl who we never see in the main games, and then it goes through his life, even after the events of AC, where we see him like... lamenting or something. And then he is revived as a good guy and its happily ever after! (Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... o_O)

Long story short: Sephiroth can't compare to the other great villains. When he's not developed enough, or too developed enough, he's a bitch of a man who never fights unless he absolutely must. Yeah, great one there, Squeenix... >_>
    May the Gods have mercy on how well this thread turned out.

May the Gods have mercy on how well this thread turned out.
    Hey! That's another thing to blame Sephiroth for! Thanks for the advice, Vivi!

Sephiroth caused this thread to become off-topic.

Click THERE:
    TFF Family:

Che

No, I don't hate FFVII. Because it's the best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Sephiroth is the coolest, and Cloud too and both their swords. I like to stroke them. Not the swords, but Sephiroth and Cloud.

Whenever I had a chance to buy tents in the game, I'd buy them and use them immediately so I could sleep with Cloud since he is the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is manipulating the body of an alien being and using it as his "avatar" of sorts in any way considered "taking a back seat"? I think it takes more power and determination to accomplish something like that than to merely use your own form.

Also, he was stuck in crystal. We already established that fact. How can he use his own body when it was half-formed and encased like that? He had to do the next best thing, which was to use Jenova.

Why would he [Sephiroth] do that [get the other "clones" to get the Black Materia] when he can destroy the spirit of the one he despises the most?

That's the vulgar term used by others to mock thier fan-based attachment to him. While it might be surprising to you, some fans do actually like him as a character.

That's right. They didn't need a backstory because they were essentially had the same characteristics. Be evil and take over the world. Sephiroth's character brought something else to the table. He was a "sympathetic antagonist", which is to say you could FEEL something for him and his story other than "okay I gotta destroy this dude because he's evil". In Seph's mind, he wasn't the evil one. It was those who betrayed the Cetra and those were the descendants of Gaia, so they all had to pay for their crime.

Oh, so now he has too much characterization? You first said that he was characterized very little and now you're at the opposite end saying he has too much.

"Curveballs", as you so bluntly put it, like that keep the story interesting. I for one was quite surprised to find out about who Seph's parents were, particularly Hojo. It also adds to his [Seph's] appeal as a character. His own father used him in an experiment before he [Sephiroth] was even born.

Really? Because most would think that it would equal a well-developed character in that you know a lot about them. But, eh. To each their own.

Sounds like you should take up a hobby writing fan fiction.

I don't think one should ever really judge another character on the merits that they all appear in different games, different canons, and have different values. What works for one, may not necessarily work for another.

Love him or hate him, there is no denying the fact that he was a change from the "typical villain" in the series.

Oh, and why would anyone bother to fight unless they "absolutely must"? Seph is not some meat head who goes around picking fights for no reason.

Posted by Ralz
    Sephiroth caused this thread to become off-topic.
    No he didn't. YOU DID. That's called displacing the blame, btw.

I am not trying to change your (or anyone's) opinion about him. This thread is about FF VII as a whole, but you seemed so keen on character bashing that I felt the need to respond. Please keep to the topic at hand.
    Last edited by Dodie16; 02-25-2010 at 11:13 PM.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    Evil BAD Guys

How is manipulating the body of an alien being and using it as his "avatar" of sorts in any way considered "taking a back seat"? I think it takes more power and determination to accomplish something like that than to merely use your own form.
    Its taking back-seat, because he's not physcially doing it on his own. He's playing puppetmaster, which is always the crappy role.

Also, he was stuck in crystal. We already established that fact. How can he use his own body when it was half-formed and encased like that? He had to do the next best thing, which was to use Jenova.
    Makes as much sense as how he got OUT and then became the wandering spirit/god/whatever that had to be defeated at the end. I might have been the BM's power, but I don't know. It really has been a long time.

Why would he [Sephiroth] do that [get the other "clones" to get the Black Materia] when he can destroy the spirit of the one he despises the most?
    Same reason you explained, he's toying with them, and I gave my questions as to why bother? Get it over with.

That's the vulgar term used by others to mock thier fan-based attachment to him. While it might be surprising to you, some fans do actually like him as a character.
    True, there do exist PROPER fans, but those are so far and few between. Good luck defending ALL fans... some are just way too reckless... >_>

Sephiroth's character brought something else to the table. He was a "sympathetic antagonist", which is to say you could FEEL something for him and his story other than "okay I gotta destroy this dude because he's evil". In Seph's mind, he wasn't the evil one. It was those who betrayed the Cetra and those were the descendants of Gaia, so they all had to pay for their crime.
    Well, all I FELT was blandness. As Kefka professionally said, "he's a sadist with a god complex."

Oh, so now he has too much characterization? You first said that he was characterized very little and now you're at the opposite end saying he has too much.
    Too little important info, and too much pointless info.

"Curveballs", as you so bluntly put it, like that keep the story interesting. I for one was quite surprised to find out about who Seph's parents were, particularly Hojo. It also adds to his [Seph's] appeal as a character. His own father used him in an experiment before he [Sephiroth] was even born.
    I think its lazy on the developers part when they do that. Its like they kept going back to change the scripte, which is already screwed up with a million typos, so no wonder the story's so confusing...

Sounds like you should take up a hobby writing fan fiction.
    Except everyone dies in my story... Sephy first.

I don't think one should ever really judge another character on the merits that they all appear in different games, different canons, and have different values. What works for one, may not necessarily work for another.

Love him or hate him, there is no denying the fact that he was a change from the "typical villain" in the series.

Oh, and why would anyone bother to fight unless they "absolutely must"? Seph is not some meat head who goes around picking fights for no reason.
    Don't all villains, somewhere along the line, fall into the same old, boring routine? "I'm going to rule the world. You can's stop me! Neh neh!" Ugh... so overdone...

Not ALL changes are good, you know...

You're right. Instead, he waits until someone fights him. So, basically, he only does things when he "absolutely must."

No he didn't. YOU DID. That's called displacing the blame, btw.

I am not trying to change your (or anyone's) opinion about him. This thread is about FF VII as a whole, but you seemed so keen on character bashing that I felt the need to respond. Please keep to the topic at hand.
    Hey, I gave an opinion, you countered, and the war began. Blame human nature. But, if you'd like, we can stop.

Click THERE:
    TFF Family:

Quote Originally Posted by ralz View Post
    holy
    quoting
    shit
    seriously
    lay
    off
    the
    quotes
    my
    eyes
    are
    dying

. .
    My thoughts exactly.

Click THERE:
    TFF Family:

My couch pulls out but I don't. Anyone Hate FF VII? midgetbob's Avatar

My thoughts exactly.

my thoughts exactly.

Also... I happened to like FFVII. I was the friend Block mentioned who hated the beginning. I started VII about 9 times, and quit about 9 times by the stupid rose garden scene in the beginning. After told to stfu and get past the beginning, it'd get better.

It's quite amazing now. <3
    Last edited by midgetbob; 02-26-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: keeping it on topic. <3

Its taking back-seat, because he's not physcially doing it on his own. He's playing puppetmaster, which is always the crappy role.
    No. Taking a "back seat" would imply that he himself is not doing anything at all. He was the one that was manipulating Jenova's physical movements. So in that sense, he was doing all the things he would have done if he were using his own body.

Also, manipulation is a fine art, and probably one of the most evil things that can happen to a person [to be manipulated]. I in no way consider the role of "the manipulator" to be a crappy one. That's why I enjoy the character of Zexion as well.

Again, to each their own.

Makes as much sense as how he got OUT and then became the wandering spirit/god/whatever that had to be defeated at the end. I might have been the BM's power, but I don't know. It really has been a long time.
    Astral projection. Yet another trick he learned thanks to his brilliance. As for his boss form (Bizarro-Sephiroth), consider it something like a "cocoon state" in preparation for his final form (Safer-Sephiroth).

Also, when the crater caved in and the WEAPONS were released, it's possible that the crystal that Seph was encased in shattered, and he again was in the middle of the lifestream.

Same reason you explained, he's toying with them, and I gave my questions as to why bother? Get it over with.
    "Why bother"? To break Cloud's spirit even further. Cloud was emotionally distraught over the fact the the very man he once hailed as a hero completely annihilated his home town and also took the life of a friend. Now that he [Cloud] had it in his head that he was just a puppet, he was ready to do whatever Seph demanded of him, even deliver the Black Materia which would bring destruction to the world.

I thought it was great that Cloud was the one to hand the Black Materia over to him like that. Sephiroth was flung into the lifestream because of Cloud, and for that, he chooses that Cloud hand him the one thing that will bring destruction and despair.

True, there do exist PROPER fans, but those are so far and few between. Good luck defending ALL fans... some are just way too reckless... >_>
    And there also exist the ANTI-FANS, who are/can be just as reckless.

Well, all I FELT was blandness. As Kefka professionally said, "he's a sadist with a god complex."
    I advise that you don't bring Dissidia canon/quotes into this. That's a completely different game, and do little justice for any of the characters.

I think its lazy on the developers part when they do that. Its like they kept going back to change the scripte, which is already screwed up with a million typos, so no wonder the story's so confusing...
    You think it's lazy to have "curveballs" in a plot like that? I think it's lazy to follow the same formula for a story and not have any interesting "curveballs" thrown at the player/reader.

The English translation of the PSX game did have some errors, but those were fixed in the PC version of the game.

Except everyone dies in my story... Sephy first.
    Looks like you should rethink that little hobby of yours then.

Don't all villains, somewhere along the line, fall into the same old, boring routine? "I'm going to rule the world. You can's stop me! Neh neh!" Ugh... so overdone...
    No. Not all villains/antagonists have that as their main goal. We are even seeing that in the Final Fantasy Series that antagonists are evolving away from that. Take Vayne for example. He wanted to end the tyranny of the Occuria, and bring back the reins of history back into the hands of man. Becoming the new Dynast-King was a step in that plan.

Not ALL changes are good, you know...
    Perhaps, but change requires that something different is done to see if it works, and it Seph's case, it really did. That's why you have more antagonists in the series that have those kind of backstories that delve deeper than just "being bad for the sake of being bad".

You're right. Instead, he waits until someone fights him. So, basically, he only does things when he "absolutely must."
    So unless you're fighting, you aren't doing anything? He was doing stuff continuously in the events before and during the events of the game. He was traveling the lifestream gathering knowledge. He was constantly planning how exactly to become a god. Not to mention the manipulation that he was doing to Cloud throughout that game.

Looks to me like he was "doing things".

Hey, I gave an opinion, you countered, and the war began. Blame human nature. But, if you'd like, we can stop.
    I don't even really consider this a "war" of any kind. You keep spouting opinion, and I counter with facts that back a lot of my opinions up.

You gave an opinion, yes, but one that wasn't really in the point of the thread. I merely pointed out a correction to the post that Polk had made, and you felt it necessary to character bash. I did defend, because I do have those fan-based attachments to Sephiroth.

This topic has veered off-course for long enough. I can't and don't want to change your opinion, but I will keep voicing mine if I see need to do so.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    Evil BAD Guys

YES, Dodie! YES! You're absolutely right!

War finito.

Click THERE:
    TFF Family:

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII? TobiasRainey's Avatar

Wow...I honestly did not think this would turn out so well. Thank you Ralz and Dodie16 for having an intelligent argument.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes...or should I?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast