Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Hate FF VII?

I feel epic... Anyone Hate FF VII? Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.

Re: Anyone Hate FF VII?

@ Tobias

I can't tell if that's scarcasm or not...

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII? TobiasRainey's Avatar

For once, its not.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes...or should I?

I feel epic... Anyone Hate FF VII? Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.

I've seen the light. How can anyone possibly hate FFVII? I mean, beyond its perfect story, gameplay, music, and characters, and not to mention the most badass character in GAMING history, Sephiroth, there are no flaws. It is... quite literally...

THE BEST GAME EVER CREATED.

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

I don't hate FFVII myself. I like it the same way I like 18237463 other RPGs.
    What I do hate is the fanboy culture that has risen up around the game and the at times completely ****ed up shit this culture has produced. And if Sephiroth raping Cloud wasn't enough to make me want to gouge my eyes out, the addition of KH characters and by association Disney characters to the act certainly was. It'd be alright if this stuff stayed in the dark corners of fansites with practically no traffic, but no, it spreads to several forum sites and eventually some of it manages to filter it's way to some page I'm viewing.

Some of that stuff ruins the game for me which isn't the game's fault, no it's the fault of mental hospital rejects with internet access.
    victoria aut mors

Let's make it rain. Anyone Hate FF VII? Jonathanx221's Avatar

I don't hate it, I enjoy playing it maybe once every year or two. But it can get REAAAALLY boring sometimes. I have more fun playing the first final fantasy sometimes. =\

wok

People I've spoken to that hate ff7 are people whom hate the turn-based part, people whom feel like they're not really doing anything playing the game, people whom hate final fantasy in general.

My theory is that people who love final fantasy, but seriously disslike the seven, are people who refuse to accept good things just because it's mainstream.

I loose credit here because my favourite is final fantasy 7, this has probably to do with the fact that I played this one first! But(!), my second favourite in the series, changes from time to time, since every once in a while I replay them and once I'm done, I sit back with different thoughts then the last time.
    I can name ups and downs on all of them, even seven.

Hating the fanbase? Dissliking the game BECAUSE of the the fanbase? You cant hate a non-online ps1 game because of the fanbase...The fanbase are perfectly avoidable! Just dont click into the thread stating: "Wich are hotter? Cloud or Palmer?"

@wok-I dont hate FF7 because of the fan base or the battle system or the fact that its mainstream, I dont even hate it at all, I'm just tired of people saying its so great when it has glaring flaws that people ignore. FF8 & 9 were just as good with fewer flaws but there are alot of people who bash 8 or 9 even though those games are just as fantastic as 7. That was my point for this thread.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes...or should I?

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII? Discordius's Avatar

Not me. It's one of my favorite games. My favorite in the series.

Same indifference. Sephiroth sat back-seat to it all, until he had to be a man and actually FIGHT.
    He was not taking a backseat. He was active through manipulation. You ignore that Sephiroth did all of those things with jenova's body. It was his will, his personality that we see the entire game.

The whole "lol I'm insane imma blow up the world" thing worked with Kefka, because Kefka was a clown who just did everything for the lulz of it all. Before I turn this into a full-on rant, I'm going to stop, because God knows I don't want to think about FF7 more than I have to.
    Not only do you ignore Sephiroth's real goal, but also claim that the same thing that was a flaw in him is a virtue in Kefka. It would still have to be the same kind of lazy writing.

To me, the story is lame and overly contrived, the characters are all cardboard cutouts with little to no personality, especially the main protagonist, who is an unlikeable, whining asshole who would be a much better character if he would just admit he wants to bang him some Sephiroth.
    That homo-Cloud into Sephiroth argument was always a flame and little else. It can only be claimed by someone who ignores the story telling you that Cloud and Sephiroth hate one another time and time agains. Homosexuals aren't idiots; they don't show apreciation by burning someone's villages and family, or stabbing each other with 3-foot wide swords.
    Last edited by Discordius; 05-26-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Discordius View Post
    Not me. It's one of my favorite games. My favorite in the series.

He was not taking a backseat. He was active through manipulation. You ignore that Sephiroth did all of those things with jenova's body. It was his will, his personality that we see the entire game.

Not only do you ignore Sephiroth's real goal, but also claim that the same thing that was a flaw in him is a virtue in Kefka. It would still have to be the same kind of lazy writing.

That homo-Cloud into Sephiroth argument was always a flame and little else. It can only be claimed by someone who ignores the story telling you that Cloud and Sephiroth hate one another time and time agains. Homosexuals aren't idiots; they don't show apreciation by burning someone's villages and family, or stabbing each other with 3-foot wide swords.
    This man knows what he is talking about.

I liked FF7, but I wasn't a big fan of all the nerd fanboys that overhype the game. Sephiroth as a villain was good, but not the best in the FF series by any means. I didn't care for how they left some things rather unexplained until you hit sidequests, like the whole Jenova Project, Vincent's storyline, etc. It made the already hard to follow story from Disc 2 and on a nightmare. Great game, but not without it's flaws.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

The first like 5 times I played FFVII in Middle School....yea I thought VII was like THE BEST GAME EVARRRRR.

Then I grew up and realized that it was alright. Not great, but not bad either. I just recently played thru it again and yea it's good up until Cloud falls into the lifestream then it's kinda just lets throw in this extra part of the story to finish up Disc 2. And I don't know why some people think Sephiroth is so crazy....what does he do in terms of GREAT DAMAGE thru out the entire game...summon Meteor, burn down Nibelheim? Did he have a power to destory an entire town with the snap of a finger? But enough of Kefka. That's just what I think about it. I guess I stopped liking it when every fan kid would shove it down your throat that it was the greatest game ever made. But I like it now, but it's like....my 10th fav title.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Shake it like a polaroid picture Anyone Hate FF VII? RagnaToad's Avatar

I definitley don't hate it, but I do think it is an overrated Final Fantasy. The storyline is really ****ed up, and there are some other FFs that are at least as good.

I think it is so popular because it was the first FF of a new generation of FFs, with those graphics at the time.
    Crao Porr Cock8: Getting it while the getting's good

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't hate it at all. For me, it was my first RPG. Sure, I've overplayed it, and I know I'll play it again at some point, but I know I'll always enjoy it.

The only thing I hate about it is the fanbase, and the people who seem to argue over pointless negatives of the game with their "fanbase of OMG hate" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralz
    Music is nice... but it can be devoid of emotion sometimes. I think Nobou may have been rushed for this, and thus couldn't fully think all his themes through before creating them. Although, I still love some of the themes: J-E-N-O-V-A, Birth of a God, and the Main Theme are some.
    Are you kidding me? Did we play the same Final Fantasy VII?

I thought the music in the game conveyed enough emotion - not too much, but definitely not too little. Heck, Aeris' Theme still brings a tear to my eye, One Winged Angel and J-E-N-O-V-A still sends a shiver down my spine, and Fight On! still makes me feel energetic and ready for the battle ahead (even when I'm not playing a boss battle, I still feel it).

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII?

Um...no. FFVII was awesome. How can anybody hate that.

I don't hate it, but I have never been one of those diehard fans of the game. Just like all of the Final Fantasy series it is an amazing and impressive installment of the series.. The story is great and quite large in magnitude and the characters are a good mix. Heck, you even have a few tragedies thrown in there.

Fans of this game are many and you can see why. But like I said, I'm not one of those diehard ones... Although I have played it many many many times, and as soon as it was on the PSN network I bought it . Meep... I only wish they would release PS2 games now haha.

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

The Mad God Anyone Hate FF VII? Heartless Angel's Avatar

Definitely not. Though overhyped, I still would place it in my top 10 games of all time. Yes, fanboys make shit annoying, but half of the reason that the presence of fanboys makes things suck, is because twice as many flamers follow them. Flamers are much MUCH worse than fanboys.

VII made alot of major steps forward in the series, which is likely the cause for it's obsessive fan base. It was the first full 3d, it had one of the first protagonists who wasn't just a typical hero saving the day because the instruction manual says he's the hero. It had one of the first villains with a real motive, outside of gaining power/destroying shit for no paticular reason. The first to look at each character's history sperately rather than focusing entirely on the protagonist and throwing some random strangers in your party to assist in destroying the equally shallow enemy.

And really, what's with the Seph bashing again...

Yes, manipulation clearly makes you useless and only capable of taking the back seat. Because Kefka never manipulated anyone to gain a position of power. And Zemus definitely wasn't using Golbez and Cain as puppets, Seph was totally the first villain to do that and is therefore the lamest. Totally. And because he used Jenova instead of his real body, he was also the villain least involved in the story. Cloud of Darkness and Ultimecia, however; were actively involved in every aspect of the plot. They didn't just fall out of the sky at the end of the game. And as Kefka so professionally put it, just a saddist with a God Complex. Let's ignore the fact that that's Kefka and Kuja's life story. If these elements make a character bad, the series hasn't seen a good villain yet. Only thing Seph's got working against him is the presecnce of annoying fanboys and flamers.
    Last edited by Heartless Angel; 06-10-2010 at 08:21 PM.
    For Our Lord Sheogorath, without Whom all Thought would be linear and all Feeling would be fleeting. Blessed are the Madmen, for they hold the keys to secret knowledge. Blessed are the Phobic, always wary of that which would do them harm. Blessed are the Obsessed, for their courses are clear. Blessed are the Addicts, may they quench the thirst that never ebbs. Blessed are the Murderous, for they have found beauty in the grotesque. Blessed are the Firelovers, for their hearts are always warm. Blessed are the Artists, for in their hands the impossible is made real. Blessed are the Musicians, for in their ears they hear the music of the soul. Blessed are the Sleepless, as they bask in wakeful dreaming. Blessed are the Paranoid, ever-watchful for our enemies. Blessed are the Visionaries, for their eyes see what might be. Blessed are the Painlovers, for in their suffering, we grow stronger. Blessed is the Madgod, who tricks us when we are foolish, punishes us when we are wrong, tortures us when we are unmindful, and loves us in our imperfection.

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII? darknesse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I too cant say i dislike it, although i havent really found the story too gripping. Im slowly working way through for the first time (having never actually seen a hard copy until now).

I am enjoying the game a lot though, and as above, the music put into the game is one of my favorite aspects.

EDIT: I might also add that i prefer the movie Advent children over the storyline of the actual game. Though i did see the movie first, and ive been told that the stories from both dont co-exist with each other well. Dont worry about spoilers if you want to reply to me, i already know what happens
    Last edited by darknesse; 06-10-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    ~Blink your eyes just once and see everything in ruin

Embrace the night my friends

I wouldn't necessarily say I hate VII, considering "hate" is such a strong word, but the game itself is really down there on my list of favorite games in this series.

The story got old and boring rather quickly, Cloud is a major asshole who doesn't get much character development, and Sephy is a lame villain and mama's boy.

The only thing I possibly liked about this game was some of the music. I loved the Main Theme, J-E-N-O-V-A, and Birth of a God.

Well, that's my two cents.

Be a pal and level my adoptables!

Waiting for your sister to turn 18 Anyone Hate FF VII? chrono's Avatar

How can anyone hate FF7 is beyond me unless you just do not like any RPG period(i got a few buddies like that).
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\bit torrents\jiu jitsu\helio.jpg

Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch a movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." -Marcelo Garcia

To fight is a man's instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

I recently played the game for the first time through downloading it throgh the PSN. While I do think it is a great game, it certainly isn't the best game I've ever played. For me that spot is reserved for Oddworld Abe's Oddysee

Like other people in this thread, the thing I despise about the game are the fanboys and the haters.

The haters bash on the game and make horrid misconceptions of the characters, say certain games like FF6 are better without actually stating why they're better, and call anyone who disagrees with them a "fanboy". All without even mentioning the gameplay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkxR4p7P74Y

Then there are the fanboys who think the game is the second coming of Jesus Christ and call anyone who has a different opinion than them not intelligent. They also seem to have a creepy obsession with Tifa.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov0cpOhRAYM

Me, I'm in the middle of the spectrum that gets caught in the crossfire.

SubterraMaster

This game is easily my number one Final Fantasy game.. The gameplay, characters, music and story are all superb!

No, I do not hate FF7 and I don't see why people hate this game.

~SubterraMaster

Yay time to throw out my opinions!

Is FFVII a bad game? No. Is Sephy truly a bad villain? No. Do I hate VII? No. Do I like to carry on conversations about VII? No. Is it my favorite of the series? No.

So yeah that is the cliff note version and here is the expanded, yay....

So as others have pointed out, I do not dislike VII but the fanboys are something that irks the crap out of me and even some of the haters get on my nerves.

Generally I avoid discussions on VII because the bias is there and half the responses are generally retarded. If someone is willing to actually discuss the game with out making comments like "Sephy is so hott", "Cloud funkin' pwns", "Everything about VII is original", "Tifa's boobies are the best boobs ever" and what not then I am all for actually discussing the game. I know I limited my quotes to fanboy comments but most of those are far worse then the acclaimed "haters". Atleast the "haters", which I have been accused of being more then once, tend to put some thought into their objections as to why it is not the best title ever.

I will on the other hand step into a conversation to get a rise out of people when I am feeling goofy because lets face it some of the comments that people make about VII are just hilarious.

I do enjoy sitting down and giving this title a play though. That is simple enough. It is not a bad game by any means but I do find most of it to be very similar to VI in many ways. Not that it is a bad thing, VI was an awesome title, why not replicate something that was good.

As for the originality argument; lets face it, nothing is original anymore. Chances are if you think it someone else has already done it or at least attempted it. I prefer the lack of creativeness argument, were people own up to the fact that certain characters are cookie cutter but were not developed enough to make them unique to their bend aluminum mold, this applies to more then just VII.

I generally dislike trying to carry on conversations when people state that "Sephy is the best / worst villain ever" with out actually giving explanation as to why they think he is / isn't better then every other villain out there.

So to be blunt once again, do I hate VII? No.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

I want to play a game. Anyone Hate FF VII? Zargabaath's Avatar

Ya know Meier, the haters are probably worse than the fanboys nowadays. Yeah, the fanboys used to be abundant but they have toned down. Haters, on the other hand, have risen in ranks with some joining just to "hate" which is just as bad as the ridiculous statements of the "fanboys". At the same time that is going on Final Fantasy VI is becoming awfully close to being drowned in fanboy praise that Final Fantasy VII went through.

As for myself and Final Fantasy VII. It is not my favourite entry in the series though it is in my upper echelon.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII? NeoAquarius12's Avatar

I feel like we can now examine FFVII without all the hype and hate. There are some flaws with the game that we are more well aware of nowadays. Like, the hooves for hands. The lack of revival for that character that dies. I tried it for about 1 whole week, trying everything I could find on the Interweb.

But I mean, there isn't too much that is upsetting about it IMO. I feel like people are immune to the charm if they were aware of FF before VII. Because VII was the first real sci-fi game and terribly outside the traditions that 1 - 6 really supported.

However, you know, if you give it a number score on what it has, t most likely is one of the top games of all time.

Graphics, for the time period, is around 8. The music, for any time period, is probably close to a 10. I mean, the Main theme, Cloud's Theme, Aeris's theme, screaming SEPHIROTH! They're all an enjoyment. Oh, and some VERY distinct characters with a very unique storyline. It's dirty it's so good.

if you hate FF VII i hate you
    I feel like...

I cant believe people are still posting on this. I hope no one is trolling...

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Anyone Hate FF VII? Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

I don't like the game. I like the characters persay, and the idea was cool, but I only got to the materia keeper before I got bored with it. Hate me if you must but I prefer FF8

Controlling With Fear Anyone Hate FF VII? Unlucky Rufus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o0Odin0o View Post
    I don't like the game. I like the characters persay, and the idea was cool, but I only got to the materia keeper before I got bored with it. Hate me if you must but I prefer FF8
    I can't understand how anybody could get bored with ff7........
    Last edited by Unlucky Rufus; 10-13-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Let darkness overshadow the light.. Anyone Hate FF VII? Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

Well I was playing it on a Ps1 emulator. When I would go to my menus, it would start to lag and stuff. Also, I was playing FF8 and 9 (never beat nine)
    I wanted to finish 9 first, and 8 is my favorite.
    When I get to seven, it was sporadic and I had to remember what i did last.

Eh, maybe I should put some real effort into this game. Does the game get interesting after the materia keeper?

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

Registered User Anyone Hate FF VII? Zidane77's Avatar

I started playing it when it came out and was the first RPG game i played and i really enjoyed almost everything about it.
    People that don't like it probably just don't like the turn-based system (like some people i know) and know nothing of the story and what this game is about.
    Probably none who hate it but probably the fanbase around it.

Quote Originally Posted by o0Odin0o;1285544 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1285544 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    Well I was playing it on a Ps1 emulator. When I would go to my menus, it would start to lag and stuff. Also, I was playing FF8 and 9 (never beat nine)
    I wanted to finish 9 first, and 8 is my favorite.
    When I get to seven, it was sporadic and I had to remember what i did last.

Eh, maybe I should put some real effort into this game. Does the game get interesting after the materia keeper?
    Get's really interesting after that but it depends how you like the storyline,characters etc.
    You're actually not that far in the game, just not much going on in dialogue until straight after that.
    Last edited by Zidane77; 10-13-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Controlling With Fear Anyone Hate FF VII? Unlucky Rufus's Avatar

Well, i think i have a totally different mindset for FF7. I kinda grew up playing it, among other ps1 games (Mgs1,FF8,Legend of Dragoon). But I've probably spent more time on FF7 than any other video game. So naturally i'm not going to have anything but positive things to say about it. If had grown up playing FF9 or something i would worship that game. I think all of us talk up our favorite Final Fantasy games, not because we think they are the best in the series, but because they have had the bigger impact on our lives.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast