Thread: Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter!

Certified tech, come at me! Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter! SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter!

Square revealed this week, that they are bringing an enhanced remake of FFVI to smartphones with sharpened 2D models like FFV had. Tokita announced that they are lessening the amount of fighting you have to do to strengthen your characters so players can enjoy the game for what it is. FFVI will be heading to both iOS and Android.

Tokita stated that they may one day be able to work with VII if this legacy project goes well. Looks like FFVII is going to be heading to smartphones in it's possible future, which is a reasonable move.

Source article:
    Final Fantasy VI Is Coming To iOS and Android, VII Could Follow
    Currently Playing:

I don't like those new sprites! :C

Still nice to see a new remake though.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Kain's love slave ;) Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter! Holly Highwind's Avatar
    This is so exciting!! I already have FF4 and FF5 and now to get FF6 is cool too. And After Years is coming soon! There is a lot of stuff from Square-Enix for FF on phones and that is great for the people who cant be at home with their console games.
    ***Holly Highwind***

I bought FF6 yesterday and I like it so far. Gfx are overall nice, even though the sprite style is debatabe and the battle menu is cool as well. I'm really happy it's finally out.

Consistently Average Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter! Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't like the new sprites (they're from Dimensions right?) they look quite ugly :/

I wish they'd do a remake on the psp or for the 3DS. They could do some really nice 2d sprites like they have with I, II, and IV on the psp, or do a full 3D version with voice acting etc. That's something I'd love to see in the near future.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Yeah, they're abit paper mario style, but not too bad. Not same recycled as Dimension's or FFV's, but of very similar style.

Mystyrion Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter! C:/Dille.Run's Avatar
    Still waiting for the iOS release :/

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'd much rather they made a 3DS remake myself. Particularly since I own a 3DS and not a smartphone. However, FF6 was never as popular in Japan as it was here in the states, for some reason.

Also yeah, if we're gonna get updated graphics, couldn't they be better graphics? That'd be nice.

Spoony Bard
    Recurring Mini-Boss
    Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter! Incognitus's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C:/Dille.Run View Post
    Still waiting for the iOS release :/
    Yeah, no kidding! Sucks doesn't it? "This winter!" This winter could last a while. What country/region are we basing this seasonal timeline on, anyway? A date would have been nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter!-salvator-png 
    Hero façade. Villain at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco-Calamitous View Post
    FF6 was never as popular in Japan as it was here in the states, for some reason.
    Probably because it was not as challenging as FFIV or V to cater to lazy Americans. This is clearly seen by today's standards how games have become dumbed down because of this. Gamers and games in general have become more passive.
    Last edited by Odin1199; 01-19-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Consistently Average Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter! Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin1199 View Post
    Probably because it was not as challenging as FFIV or V to cater to lazy Americans. This is clearly seen by today's standards how games have become dumbed down because of this. Gamers and games in general have become more passive.
    Not sure I agree with that. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong but if I was to recommend an easy game to start the seires with IV would be one of them. Doesn't make it less of a game, it just has one of the simplest ways to learn spells and abilites, and battles use the ATB system which isn't too hard to grasp.

I'd love to have a hard copy of VI (don't want to emulate it) but I think i'll hold out til I can find a cheap GBA copy.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter! Xanatos's Avatar
    By that logic not many FF games would be popular in Japan, that kinda already are.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

So why then wasn't it that popular? I thought FFIV was harder btw, battle wise. Enemies did more damage and you were more on edge during battles. Simpler yet harder. I don't get it, FF6 was a milestone in RPG games at that time.
    Maybe because the story kind of breaks up into pieces in WoR?
    Last edited by Odin1199; 01-21-2014 at 12:45 AM.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Final Fantasy VI is coming to Smartphones this winter! Xanatos's Avatar
    I thought FFIV was harder btw, battle wise. Enemies did more damage and you were more on edge during battles. Simpler yet harder.
    Most definitely, but hard in "you had to grind more" way. Unlike some later titles FF IV was pretty straightforward as far as difficulty goes, you could overcome most if not all obstacles by simple grind, save for certain super bosses which for some strange reason original FF VI did not have.

So why then wasn't it that popular?
    Who knows. There are plethora of truly great titles, some even revolutionary, that never got the recognition they deserve. Nothing strange, really.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I had a harder time beating FFVI than I did FFIV.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

It was hard only the first time, because I was getting used to playing FF games. I wonder how Chrono Trigger got recepted in Japan?

I'm really having fun with FF6. You can tell each of your party char what to do, say tell Terra to cast Cure on all and Sabin to use blitz and so on and then hit auto battle and they'll keep doing the same stuff they were assigned until you turn it off. Pretty convenient. Ultros kept handing my ass to me because it took a long time to navigate the menus because of how sensitive the touchscreen was, but when I prepared my chars by assigning them their commands then they were healing themselves and dealing damage fast enough to survive.