Thread: Final Fantasy VI 25th Anniversary!

Certified tech, come at me! Final Fantasy VI 25th Anniversary! SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy VI 25th Anniversary!

Hello everyone,

I dropped by to announce (kinda late, I know) the 25th anniversary of FFVI for SNES and Super Famicom! The game was originally released in Japan on April 2nd, 1994. As a lot of you FF fans may know, this is the last FF that was released on the Super NES, ported to some other systems, got a makeover for mobile phones and PC, and recently ported to the Super NES Classic as of 2 years ago. Final Fantasy VI introduced a steampunk setting to the final fantasy world, departing from traditional medieval fantasy settings, had in-depth storytelling and was the first final fantasy to have narration for each playable character, and also introduced a multi-party system.

- How many of you have fond memories of this particular title?
    - What drew you to FFVI?
    - What was your favorite part of the game?
    - Should Square-Enix remake this game, would you like to see a full-blown remake of FFVI?
    Currently Playing:

Bananarama Final Fantasy VI 25th Anniversary! Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow I feel old now.

FFVI is one of my favorite games even though I didn't originally play it on the SNES. I picked it up when it came out as part of FF Anthology for the PS1 and immediately fell in love with it. At that point, my only real experience with Final Fantasy was VII and VIII, which I both loved. To be able to play what was considered to be the best one was definitely something I was excited to do.

Everything about it was exciting. I really loved the steampunk setting, as it was something I really never saw before. On top of that, I instantly fell in love with the characters, especially the banter and one liners. I also really enjoyed the depth of them all.

I think my favorite part of the game was delving into Setzers background and getting the Falcon from Daryl's tomb. It really have a nice sense of depth to one of my favorite characters.

I don't think I'd like to see it completely remade for a modern console. I really enjoyed the sprite art and how they were able to show so many different emotions and sly jokes through them. Locke showing embarrassment or comic indignation at being called a thief was perfectly shown through a sprite bouncing about. Same thing when your party splits into your four characters and rolls their eyes or laughs at another character. It's just something that I don't think would translate well with overdramatic voice acting or androgynous looking characters.

Plus, I don't think Squeenix really does humor well. FFVI was so good because it was able to mix so many moments. You had the ridiculous Ultros showing up. You had multiple tragedies that your characters came to overcome. You had feelings of joy when you slowly learned everyone survived the world of ruin. I think it would be too heavy handed and too overdramatic. I feel like Zozo would be changed from a kind of creepy wacky place (mostly due to the music), to a sadder more slummy looking place.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I play this game since it's out so I feel really old too lol.

Last edited by burbigo; 03-17-2020 at 12:06 PM.