Thread: FFIV Advance or DS?

FFIV Advance or DS?

I'm going through all the FF games again after I beat 13, and I'm almost finished with III, which leaves me to a decision for FFIV. I haven't played this since the SNES days so I'm wondering which one you guys thought was best?

My first inclination is to play the DS game because it adds some new content. However, I hear they upgraded the difficulty a bit and changed some things for the worse? I don't remember FFIV being an easy game to begin with...

Blog Entries

Re: FFIV Advance or DS?

They added more replay value and depth to the game, it's all for the better. The added challenge if fun too! If you have a DS then definitely pick up FF4.

And FF4 not being an easy game? FF3 was leaps and bounds tougher than FF4. FF4 DS will be right up your alley
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Registered User FFIV Advance or DS? Zidane77's Avatar

I like the advance version,you can have most of the characters late in the game (instead of just the last ones) and it has extra levels etc.

But the DS version is pretty cool too, mainly because there are lots of extra abilities and it's heck of a more challenge.
    The only thing i don't like about this game is how many secret items there are and how rare the drop rate is and you have to beat the game 3 times to master it, which is pretty crazy cause you must not mess up.
    Don't like those perfectionist types of games that much (also X-2), but beside that, for at least beating the DS version once it's really good.

Alright, i'll see if I can find an FFIV DS version locally

I want to play a game. FFIV Advance or DS? Zargabaath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    They added more replay value and depth to the game, it's all for the better. The added challenge if fun too! If you have a DS then definitely pick up FF4.

And FF4 not being an easy game? FF3 was leaps and bounds tougher than FF4. FF4 DS will be right up your alley
    I will have to disagree. Final Fantasy III DS was challenging, a bit tough but it wasn't "SNK" cheap - Final Fantasy IV DS is. In FFIV DS the normal monsters have been vamped up so much that if they use their best attacks, which happens frequently, the party is wiped unless they are bounds higher in level. For example: in the Tower of Zot there is a huge difficulty spike; the Frostbeasts have an ice breath attack which with just one performing said attack, sends everybody into critical; if there are two of those, the party is gone. For some of the bosses there is a limited way to defeat them and the player has to cycle through all the possibilities - not fun.

Final Fantasy IVDS does have a few extra scenes, voice-acting, the Augments, and soem mini-games but Final Fantasy IV Advance has a lot of content after the player beats the game. The advance version does have a bug with the ATB bar that can help or hinder the player but it isn't cheap. Both versions have their pluses and minuses.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 04-11-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

A shining blade of holy light. FFIV Advance or DS? Mythgraven's Avatar

i have ff 4 for the ds and ive beatin the snes version too. i enjoy the ds version 100x better than the snes version just cause of the music and of course the gameplay.

Blade master FFIV Advance or DS? Midori's Avatar

The DS ones have a lot of cool additions than the last two. 3d graphics (polygonal) is one. another is the command editing thing (forget what its called) and the new summon white which fights alogside of you but sadly he uncontrollable.

Registered User FFIV Advance or DS? tetsu346's Avatar

ii have to agree with midori i say ds

Blade master FFIV Advance or DS? Midori's Avatar

I also have to add that the map feature is A LOT of help in that game, and when you fill up the whole map you get a good prize!

you do?

Registered User FFIV Advance or DS? Toxo's Avatar

I adore the DS-version and count it as one of my fave games. The only thing I missed was the Lunar Ruins-dungeon. I was so looking forward to see Yang fighting gazillion 3D-monks.

Some of you say that the difficulty of the DS-version makes it less fun, but to me it was more fun and challenging. I always level a bit ahead in FF-games when entering new places, so the game wasn't really difficult. I only had a little problem when fighting Golbez in the Dwarven Castle. Besides, the augments make up for the difficulty. Like if you give Rosa Doublecast, she can save your butt countless times. (I must also praise Rosa for her upgraded Pray-skill, it was more than useful when leveling up.)

Lali-hoe, I mean, ho!

it does get hard in ff3 in the place of darkness only because there is no save point

Registered User FFIV Advance or DS? Xtrmn8r_V.13.7.3's Avatar
    In a dark room to prevent glare, Auckland, New Zealnad

I thought the ds one was the best because i prefer the graphics, and it gets rid of annoying mis - translations

When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of
    Power, the world will know peace.
    ~Jimmy Hendrix~

Thanks to Kilala for my Avataar and Signature

Certified tech, come at me! FFIV Advance or DS? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd definitely go with the DS version over the Advance version. The story line has more life to it with the voice acting involved, The game's soundtrack is MUCH better than the butchered GBA version, monsters have higher A.I. and are stronger than in previous versions, and the other features that other users have already pointed out. Theres one that wasn't mentioned yet though, the augment system. You can customize your character's abilities and give them new ones when certain conditions are met in the game.
    Currently Playing:

I don't know about you guys but I preferred FF2/4 for the SNES. I never liked the DS.

Registered User FFIV Advance or DS? Aadria's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FFMQFanSince92 View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I preferred FF2/4 for the SNES. I never liked the DS.
    The SNES version is awesome just for its originality, being the first and all. (And maybe it's just me, but old 8- and 16-bit graphics and the best!! They're just so awesome!) But the DS version does add a lot to the story with the cutscenes and voices and, quite frankly, I like the change in difficulty. Yes, there were a few places where it jumped quite a bit with no warning (such as the Tower of Zot... Effin ice beasts... ) but all you have to do is take some time to level up. I love both versions, but as far as replaying them through, I'd definitely go with the DS.

Registered User FFIV Advance or DS? FantasyGuy's Avatar

I can't really decide between advance or ds customization and after game is in advance but DS has vamped up difficulty and extra bosses one extremely difficult to beat! I liked the ds more but there both awesome!!

I always get unexpected ppl in these tests LOL xD

JOHNANDERS

I'M A VICIOUS PLAYER OF FF'S ANTIQUITY, BUT THE DS VERSION IS THE BETTER (The IMAGE NOT IS SO BETTER) BUT THE GAME IS GREAT

IN THE GBA VERSION (THE DUNGEONS ARE AN ADDITIONAL LARGE)

IF ARE FINAL FANTASY'S, ARE GOOD FOR ME
    Last edited by JOHNANDERS; 10-27-2010 at 06:59 AM.

Just gonna say The Ds was an awesome revisiting of an old classic. Quite enjoyable.

I do what you can't. FFIV Advance or DS? Sasquatch's Avatar

I just picked up FFIVDS and a DS to play it with through eBay, so I'm looking forward to getting it. I tried downloading the rom and an emulator, and I don't know which one is messed up, but playing it was extremely choppy and slow and I didn't even have the patience to get through the intro and outside the castle. I love the upgrades they made to the GBA version with the new dungeons and such, so I was a little disappointed that a lot of the new content isn't in the DS version, but I'm sure I'll get over it. I definitely look forward to playing with the new enhancement system that I've heard about. I honestly think that I might like FFIVA even more than I like FFVI, but it'd be pretty close.

When I get that, I will own FFIV in five different formats: SNES, SNES emulator on my computer, PSX, GBA, and DS.

Sig courtesy of Plastik Assassin.

Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends.
    John 15:13

Red Mage FFIV Advance or DS? Henry's Avatar

i like the Advance version better.