Thread: Best way to start this game?

Let's make it rain. Best way to start this game? Jonathanx221's Avatar

Best way to start this game?

I don't really need help, but I'm curious as to what people think is the best jobs to start with, for learning abilities and what not, not to breeze through the game, but to make it tons more fun and to really be pretty buff.

Someone suggested; Knight, Black Mage, White Mage, and Blue Mage.

That seems.... strange. So any suggestions?

I'm playing on PS1.

Go with me, Exkaizer~ Best way to start this game? Treize's Avatar

Re: Best way to start this game?

I usually start off with Knight, White Mage, Black Mage, and Thief. Blue Mages are probably better than Thieves, but I don't really like to use blue magic...

I don't think it really matters much, though. The initial jobs really aren't very good. The only abilities that you'll probably want to use later are the White Mage's, and perhaps the Black/Blue Mage's. You also get more jobs relatively quickly, so you won't have to use the initial jobs for very long.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

-PM me if you would like to join.

Okay thanks, I'm having everyone learn some white magic, it may take some time but having everyone being able to use cure sounds fantastic. And a thief is gonna be a big help. I'm using a knight, a monk, a black mage and after Faris learns black and white magic I'll make her a thief and decide between white and black as the second ability, probably white.

Blue Magic in any Final Fantasy (not counting X) is the best magic in the game. Blue Mages are the best just take time to get them to be the best. Don't matter what you use. You will be swapping in and out of jobs throughout the entire game.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanx221 View Post
    Okay thanks, I'm having everyone learn some white magic, it may take some time but having everyone being able to use cure sounds fantastic. And a thief is gonna be a big help. I'm using a knight, a monk, a black mage and after Faris learns black and white magic I'll make her a thief and decide between white and black as the second ability, probably white.
    I wouldn't have everyone learn white magic... You probably wouldn't need more than two characters learning some white magic. Also, I wouldn't worry about trying to level up all these jobs. Like I said, the beginning jobs are pretty bad. Just level up enough so that you can get through and get the better jobs to level up. It will probably save you some time in the long run. It is more of a waste of time to level up these jobs if they become useless pretty quickly.

Also, don't try and have the characters learn everything like you said with Faris. A character can only use abilities from two different jobs, so it is pretty pointless to have them learn a little bit from everything when they won't be able to use the abilities.

I would just have one character be a designated healer and have them focus on being a white mage for a while. The jobs for the rest of the party won't matter much because you will most likely change them when the better jobs become available.
    Last edited by Treize; 04-10-2010 at 05:44 PM.
    TFF Family:
    stardragon -- Nick -- Fishie -- Silver -- Omega Weapon -- Tiger Lily -- Athna Loveil -- Phantom -- ekimeinna -- Novacrash -- FFGuru89 -- Kaos_Dragon -- ziroth

Okay thanks. =] This is my first time playing so, I'm still learning. Thanks for the tips guys. I won't level up a bunch like I was going to, ahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf View Post
    Blue Magic in any Final Fantasy (not counting X) is the best magic in the game. Blue Mages are the best just take time to get them to be the best. Don't matter what you use. You will be swapping in and out of jobs throughout the entire game.
    I really don't think that Blue Mages are that good. Most of the spells that you can learn are pretty bad, and you would never want to use them. Also, you can only get their few good spells (spells that are actually worth using) late in the game. This makes them pretty useless until the end of the game. They can do some of everything, but they don't really excel at anything. I don't think that Blue Mages can do as much damage as a Black Mage or a Summoner, and I would say that white mages are better healers. Also, Blue Mages usually don't have very good stats, so it is pretty annoying to use them as a job. =/ If you are going to use blue magic, it is best to just learn their couple of abilities that you need right away, and then just forget about the job.

I would much rather have characters who could use white magic, use black magic, or summon instead of using blue magic. It probably wouldn't hurt to have one character be able to use it, but like I said, you won't even want to use blue magic until you learn the better spells near the end of the game, and even then, in my opinion, they still aren't the greatest.
    Last edited by Treize; 04-10-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    TFF Family:

Okay, I'll level up the blue mage one last time and switch her out for something else.

Okay, I'll level up the blue mage one last time and switch her out for something else.
    I don't think you understood what I meant. I meant that once a character learns "Learning" and "!Blue"(?) it is pretty pointless to be a blue mage because their stats aren't the greatest.

Blue Mages can be useful later in the game when you get White Wind, Mighty Guard, etc, but early in the game they aren't helpful. If you want to use a blue mage, I would recommend that you learn the two things that I just mentioned, and then switch the character to a different job. Blue Mage is really more meant as a secondary job than the primary one.
    TFF Family:

Blog Entries

Blue mages have good equipment they can use for the beginning part of the game, giving them the similar build of a Knight. Plus, they come with a built-in class physical evade of 15%. Pick em!

I went Blue Mage/Monk/White Mage/whatever else you want. Black Mage isn't really that great but if you have one it makes boss battles easy peezy if you wanna carry the squishy frail guy around.

and Treize, you trolling man? lol you can learn Aqua Rake before getting the Fire Crystal for Christ's crackers, hell yeah they can get great magic at the beginning of the game.
    Last edited by Rocky; 04-10-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Blue mages have good equipment they can use for the beginning part of the game, giving them the similar build of a Knight. Plus, they come with a built-in class physical evade of 15%. Pick em!
    If you want your character to be a physical attacker, you're better off with being a Knight after you learn "Learning" and "!Blue." You'll have much better attack and defense. If you want to be a magic using character, you'd be much better off being a white or black mage, so that you can learn their abilities along the way. They will also be much better at using magic because their magic stats are much higher. The only bad part would be their defense, but I didn't have much trouble with my white/black mages dying in the beginning of the game... Even if you did, leveling up two or three levels would solve that easily. I suppose their physical attacks would be much weaker too, but mages aren't really meant for physical attacking. If I wanted a mage that could attack, I would rather be using a red mage, which you also get pretty quickly, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    and Treize, you trolling man? lol you can learn Aqua Rake before getting the Fire Crystal for Christ's crackers, hell yeah they can get great magic at the beginning of the game.
    I must not be remembering right. I thought that Shiva did more damage, and I think you can get Shiva before you can get Aqua Rake too. I'm not sure how much damage Ice 2 was doing in comparison, though. I thought they were pretty similar, but I could be wrong. Black Mages could also cast Thunder 2 and Fire 2, though, if an enemy was weak against those instead of water/ice.

I still stick with my stance on blue mages not being the best. They can certainly be useful at times and late in the game, but I like other jobs more.
    Last edited by Treize; 04-10-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    TFF Family:

Registered User Best way to start this game? Zidane77's Avatar

I suggest Knight,Black Mage,White Mage and a Monk.
    Also have the learning ability,learned from the blue mage.
    When learned enemy skills, Blue mage can be quite effective with swords as well.
    Last edited by Zidane77; 04-11-2010 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane77 View Post
    I suggest Knight,Black Mage,White Mage and a Monk.
    Also have the learning ability,learned from the blue mage.
    When learned enemy skills, Blue mage can be quite effective with swords as well.
    Yeah I just figured that out I learned toad song, it was pretty cool. Blue mages seem like they really need to be around a lot, I could learn a TON of spells that way, without spending money.

If you actually take the time to learn the skills at every moment in the game, yes the Blue Mage is still one of the best jobs to have. I'd take a Blue Mage over some crappy MP wasting Summoner.

EDIT: Rocky you also forgot about good ol Vampire, I forgot the names of it Anthology and Normal version. Doing 200+ dmg life drain while your team is still doing 100 melee damages.
    Last edited by loaf; 04-11-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

I feel epic... Best way to start this game? Ralz's Avatar
    Apparently, I've died and gone to Game Heaven. Later, losers.

You can probably skip the Knight one. Its abilities aren't that amazing. However, you should go with the Monk. The sooner it gets mastered, the higher your HP will be. Also, get Blue Mage in there, as there as some great spells you can get in the first half of the game. White Mage should be powered up, sure. Healing is always a good idea. As you unlock more, some will be useful, others useless.

Of course, this is just a suggestion. You can play how you want to. But avoid Berserker. It's useless.

I'm going through a bit of a The World Ends With You phase right now.
    Click THERE:
    TFF Family:
    Alther Feyz Lucifer Primus CecilGod1994 Flaming Ragnarok Shadow of Darkness Dark Angel Kilala Sato Arashi RagnaToad RamesesII IceColdPillow Kisaragi^^ Elyon Seraphim Shiru MILK Vince Kisuke Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima ethan

Yeah I learned how useless berserker was after trying to win a boss fight with it. Ahaha, not happening.

Certified tech, come at me! Best way to start this game? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
    You can probably skip the Knight one. Its abilities aren't that amazing. However, you should go with the Monk. The sooner it gets mastered, the higher your HP will be. Also, get Blue Mage in there, as there as some great spells you can get in the first half of the game. White Mage should be powered up, sure. Healing is always a good idea. As you unlock more, some will be useful, others useless.

Of course, this is just a suggestion. You can play how you want to. But avoid Berserker. It's useless.
    Vat!? Knight's abilities aren't that amazing!? You can build it up and learn nice abilities like equipping swords, shields, and heavy armor you usually can't equip on a certain job class. Plus you got the bothhand ability which deals double damage than normal with equipped weapon. Once you master it, the strength of that job class carries over to your freelancer class making it stronger. Remember that Jonathan, when you master a job class, the innate ability of the mastered class carries over to your freelancer class.
    Currently Playing:

Really!? So when you master all jobs you can have an UNSTOPPABLE character?

Certified tech, come at me! Best way to start this game? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Basically, yes. You open up alot of opens for your freelancer after mastering every job. They'll be tough cookies after giving them best equipment, abilities you use the most, and enemies will have a pretty hard time killing you off.
    Currently Playing:

That sounds awesome, but I'm really getting sick of this game.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA HOLD ON A MINUTE. The berserker bad? I mean, yes it can be bad at some bosses in the game. But oh my god, you have no idea how good a berserker really is. You know at the time when you get a berserker? Your team might be doing, around 150 melee dmg? Well berserker will be doing around 700-800. No control, meh no big deal. Some bosses yes it sucks, I've learned my lesson, but some bosses, berserker is unstoppable.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

I've thought about using the berserker plenty of times. Are there a lot of jobs in this game? I thought I had most of them, but I read something about more jobs, maybe that's the GBA version? Does it have more Jobs than the one on PS1?

I want to play a game. Best way to start this game? Zargabaath's Avatar

I've thought about using the berserker plenty of times. Are there a lot of jobs in this game? I thought I had most of them, but I read something about more jobs, maybe that's the GBA version? Does it have more Jobs than the one on PS1?

There are 22 jobs in the PS1 version and the GBA version has four extra jobs: Gladiator, Cannoneer, Oracle, & Necromancer. Necromancer is unlocked after completing the bonus dungeon which is available after you beat the game; there other 3 jobs are unlockable before fighting Exdeath.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

heutenitaz

One of the better Final Fantasy games, FFV improves upon the Job system but doesn't match the storyline "FFIV" or "FFVI". It's still one hell of a handheld adventure though