Thread: Spell Level Recommendations

Alarion

Spell Level Recommendations

Sorry is this has been answered elsewhere, but I was wondering what everyone's suggestions were for spell levels in FFII. I really like the leveling system in the game, but the lack of a concrete level makes it hard to know my relative strength compared to what's expected for the end of the game. So, at endgame, what should I shoot for in general with my spell levels. It seems like level 16 shouldn't be necessary (just like getting level 99 characters in the other FF games isn't necessary). But what's a good target for successful completion of the game? I'm not asking for a breakdown spell by spell (though I'd certainly thank you), just a general "level X should be sufficient for most spells, but I'd do level Y for these others", etc.

TFF's Resident Messenger Spell Level Recommendations Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I have always tried for Level 8 with most spells. Especially those that do damage (Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Cure). Basuna and Esuna are fine at Level 5 because they heal everything at the Level.

But really, the only advantages to having magic maxed at Level 16 is the animation is different (and the obvious increase in gamage). I remember the Ultima animation being worth the hours of grinding.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

I want to play a game. Spell Level Recommendations Zargabaath's Avatar
    This may go for all versions of FF II but black magic is pretty much useless. It has uses for certain parts of the game, but endgame it is no longer a decent option. It is not really so much the level of the spell but the wisdom or spirit stat that matters more. Wisdom for black, spirit for white. Now white magic is quite useful and most important. There may be a few black spells that are considered "support" like maybe "berserk". To get an effective black mage in that game woukd take too long unless you are willing to grind it out. Pretty much: haste, aura, wall your party and go to town physically = winning formula.

If you have your cure spell around 10 that may be good but with a crap spirit stat it is not that good. As to what would be good? I can't really say because I never paid too much attention to the stats. My magic was always sufficient for the task.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x