Thread: Just started playing FFIII...

Just started playing FFIII...

I've decided to go on a quest to play through all the main FFs because FF is my favorite series of games, yet I've only beaten about 3-5 of them (including spin-offs), though I've played all of them (except for XI. computer couldn't load it right for some reason). I used to be a very dedicated gamer when I was a kid, but have become very lazy with my gaming in recent years. Trying to get out of that slump.

I can't find a FFI ROM that isn't real glitchy, and I didn't feel like playing FFII, so FFIII it is. I prefer the originals for all games, so I'm playing the NES version. Never played it before. So far, it's really fun.

Two questions: What are the best jobs in the original? I just started, and am thinking of using Knight, Dragoon, Sage, and Ninja after a while.

And, I noticed that people talking about the DS port discuss which characters they like best. I'm guessing the personalities and such for each individual character were added into the DS port, because I can't tell the difference between who's who when any of the 4 characters are talking in the NES version. Were the personalities of each character added into the DS port, or have they always been there since the original? Probably a stupid question, I know, but the characters in FFII had personalities, so... yea.
    "Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our perspectives that separate us."
    —Squall Leonhart

Blog Entries

Re: Just started playing FFIII...

Quote Originally Posted by GeLeHa View Post
    I've decided to go on a quest to play through all the main FFs because FF is my favorite series of games, yet I've only beaten about 3-5 of them (including spin-offs), though I've played all of them (except for XI. computer couldn't load it right for some reason). I used to be a very dedicated gamer when I was a kid, but have become very lazy with my gaming in recent years. Trying to get out of that slump.

I can't find a FFI ROM that isn't real glitchy, and I didn't feel like playing FFII, so FFIII it is. I prefer the originals for all games, so I'm playing the NES version. Never played it before. So far, it's really fun.

Two questions: What are the best jobs in the original? I just started, and am thinking of using Knight, Dragoon, Sage, and Ninja after a while.

And, I noticed that people talking about the DS port discuss which characters they like best. I'm guessing the personalities and such for each individual character were added into the DS port, because I can't tell the difference between who's who when any of the 4 characters are talking in the NES version. Were the personalities of each character added into the DS port, or have they always been there since the original? Probably a stupid question, I know, but the characters in FFII had personalities, so... yea.

You can't find a non-glitchy ff1 rom? I found plenty of good ones like 8 years back, but w/e. As for best classes? Ninja and Sage are dominant in the NES verison, followed by Mystic Knight, Dragoon, and Shaman. If anything, 3 Ninjas and 1 Sage is pretty much a gamebreaking combo. And yes the personalities were added into the port, in the original FF3 the quadruplets had as much personality as the Warriors of Light from FF1 aka none.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    You can't find a non-glitchy ff1 rom? I found plenty of good ones like 8 years back, but w/e. As for best classes? Ninja and Sage are dominant in the NES verison, followed by Mystic Knight, Dragoon, and Shaman. If anything, 3 Ninjas and 1 Sage is pretty much a gamebreaking combo. And yes the personalities were added into the port, in the original FF3 the quadruplets had as much personality as the Warriors of Light from FF1 aka none.
    I tried downloading 3 different different ROMS. 2 of them started off with really messed up music at the beginning (very glitchy music is the only way I can describe it. sounded 8-bit though, nonetheless), and after I would enter the castle in the beginning, anywhere I moved would lead me out of the castle, and there would be duplicate images of the same beginning screen with the town and such. It was very difficult to navigate, and I couldn't enter the town.

The other one I downloaded someone had inserted profanity that was never in the original, and I couldn't run.

Feeling a little sick midday today, I didn't feel like trying to download anymore, so I went and began playing FFIII.

Thanks for the job info! ^^
    "Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our perspectives that separate us."
    —Squall Leonhart

Blog Entries

as for the music problems, it could be just your emulator. And I dont think you could ever run in the NES version of FF1 but yeah there werent F-bombs being dropped in the game thats for sure. Anywho, FF3 can be quite a grind at some points but if you stick with it the game can pick up and become quite fun, and the last few dungeons are very long and challenging, keep us posted on your thoughts of it.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    as for the music problems, it could be just your emulator. And I dont think you could ever run in the NES version of FF1 but yeah there werent F-bombs being dropped in the game thats for sure. Anywho, FF3 can be quite a grind at some points but if you stick with it the game can pick up and become quite fun, and the last few dungeons are very long and challenging, keep us posted on your thoughts of it.
    Really? I thought I could when I played it a few years back. I could be mistaken though. I didn't see any f-bombs in the few minutes I played it, but I did see S-bombs whenever I clicked the A button and there was nothing around. lol Something like, "It's S**t" or basically saying there's nothing around. The language of the guards were different from what I remembered as well.

For now, I'm using Fighter, Fighter, Black Belt, and Mage. I'm gaining experience and raising up levels before I go out into the world. This way, I can become more powerful, get many more points for switching Jobs later on, and get more money for buying better armor and weapons. My characters are at LV. 5 so far. ^^
    —Squall Leonhart

Registered User Just started playing FFIII... Xtrmn8r_V.13.7.3's Avatar
    In a dark room to prevent glare, Auckland, New Zealnad

If you are leveling up, you should use a full party of monks, they have the most vitality (so far) and vitality gives you more hp when you level up, so this is crucial if you want to do well from the start.
    You don't have to though, just a suggestion cause you were grinding, also you can raise your job level once per battle if you guard four times and then attack after the fourth, this method gets boring, but it gives you the edge on bosses, which turn out to be easy when you face them. . .they just require a bit of grinding

P.s. don't forget to save like i did, lol

When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of
    Power, the world will know peace.
    ~Jimmy Hendrix~

Thanks to Kilala for my Avataar and Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrmn8r_V.13.7.3 View Post
    If you are leveling up, you should use a full party of monks, they have the most vitality (so far) and vitality gives you more hp when you level up, so this is crucial if you want to do well from the start.
    You don't have to though, just a suggestion cause you were grinding, also you can raise your job level once per battle if you guard four times and then attack after the fourth, this method gets boring, but it gives you the edge on bosses, which turn out to be easy when you face them. . .they just require a bit of grinding

P.s. don't forget to save like i did, lol
    I'm at level 10 for all my characters now, and since 2 of them can kill in 1 hit, I'm good for now. lol I'm at the viking part now, but because I want to buy all the magic that red mage in the Inn in the cave has, I'll be fighting a lot outside of it to gain enough G. I sometimes wish there was a code that could create more random battles so I could get it faster and level up more. lol

Anybody have any advice for fighting enemies while small? All of my characters are wayyy too vulnerable against enemies while small in that passage out of Topaz (got out of that passage by running each time). I tried using the magic I gave my Red Mage, the only party member I give magic to, but even Magic barely does damage. Regular hits do 1-2 points of damage, while magic does 11-13. Is it just a matter of having good Defense, magic, and being leveled up enough, or is there a trick to it?

EDIT: Okay, so I found that it was impossible to defeat the HgFrog at the Nepto Shrine without a mage that's able to heal the party, instead of just one mage that both heals and attacks. If I don't heal, my entire party will die. So, I've changed from 2 Fighters, a Black Belt, and a Red Mage, to 1 Fighter, 1 Black Belt, and 2 Red Mages. I like this party better for starting out, before I'm able to get more jobs. When I don't need someone to constantly heal my party during boss battles, my 2nd Red Mage can still fight, unlike the White Mage, which is pretty weak when it comes to attacks.

For some reason, though, my Black Belt is the character that pops up in the world view, even though he's the 2nd character in the line up. Why is that?
    Last edited by GeLeHa; 06-13-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    —Squall Leonhart

Quote Originally Posted by GeLeHa View Post
    For some reason, though, my Black Belt is the character that pops up in the world view, even though he's the 2nd character in the line up. Why is that?
    It might be because one of your guys is dead, if your first guy (guy at the top of your party) is dead, and your monk is second then he will pop up.

Also, if you want to beat the boss, you just need to get your job level up to about 10/20 (also you'll get a lot of gil in this way for more scrolls) and you should do more damage. Also when you have fighters and your small, they do 1 damage everytime, so there's no piont using them, only magic will damage enemies while you're small. Also change your whole party to magic users, and put them all in the back row, they will get less damage , while dealing the same ammount. . .

Enjoy!

~Jimmy Hendrix~

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrmn8r_V.13.7.3 View Post
    It might be because one of your guys is dead, if your first guy (guy at the top of your party) is dead, and your monk is second then he will pop up.

Also, if you want to beat the boss, you just need to get your job level up to about 10/20 (also you'll get a lot of gil in this way for more scrolls) and you should do more damage. Also when you have fighters and your small, they do 1 damage everytime, so there's no piont using them, only magic will damage enemies while you're small. Also change your whole party to magic users, and put them all in the back row, they will get less damage , while dealing the same ammount. . .

Enjoy!
    Having all mages for this sounds like a really good idea, and fighting to gain job levels will also level my characters up, and give them more G to buy magic and weapons with. Thanks for the strategy!
    —Squall Leonhart

Once you have finished the next part of the story and/or get stuck just post your problem here and i will give you a hand, FFIII is probably the FF iv'e clocked the most times, so i know almost everything there is to know about it including stuff to do with the mognet

~Jimmy Hendrix~

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've had some stuff going on, and got my first laptop, so I've been transferring files and all that good stuff, so I haven't played FFIII in a couple of weeks. I will start up again in a few days, though. Started playing Final Fantasy Mystic Quest as well.

Why does FFIII have to be so difficult? If there were more random battles, I could level up faster, and it wouldn't be so difficult. That's my only complaint. Can't find any codes that will up the amount of random battles, though, so I'll have to play for a good amount of hours each day to level up so I can continue forward. I'm gonna focus on that, then go on with the story.
    —Squall Leonhart

Well, I found out I can't continue on FFIII with my current ROM. After getting through the HGfrog, I played some more, but found that the language was encrypted. Looks like I'll have to download a different ROM. Have no idea why the language is encrypted.

Due to this, I'll be taking a hiatus on FFIII, and playing a different FF for a while.
    —Squall Leonhart

Registered User Just started playing FFIII...

You can always check out VirtualNes.com to play Final Fantasy I online both free and legally. Same for III, but not II, oddly.