Thread: A FFII version question...

Registered User A FFII version question... HUNK's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A FFII version question...

So, I'm playing FFII on the PSX. (Final Fantasy Origins)

Now I've played the GBA and PSP versions but from what I can recall, it seems that on the PSX version, it takes a much longer time to level up you magick attacks. Is this true?

I've just started with equiping a tome to a character and they learned there magick but I cast and cast and cast some more but I've only leveled it up to two... I've leveled up magicks much faster on the other versions. Or, did it just seem that way?

Are there any other notable changes I should watch for. (Other than really bad translations on the PSX version)

Re: A FFII version question...

I believe FFO has the same lvling system in FFII as the original FFII for NES.They may have changed it, I am not sure. I know magic and weapons level up when you use it 100 times.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

I want to play a game. A FFII version question... Zargabaath's Avatar

There is a trick to level up magic more easily in the Origins version. Select the spell, choose target, then after choosing your target go back to the caster which cancels the spell. Repeat process. This glitch was in the Japanese NES Version which they did not fix for the PS port. The "Select/Cancel" glitch worked on physical attacks as well: select "fight", get target, then go back to fighter with "cancel" which would increase proficiency with weapon(s) or shield. I do not know or remember if the "Select/Cancel" glitch for physical attacks worked in the PS port. I would think so since it is just a port and they did not fix the magic glitch.

Besides you really only need your attack magic levels around 5-6. Attack magic in any version of this game has been insanely weak, even the Emperor's, without insanely boosting INT which is not as easy. Remember that in this version the characters can also lose points in stats: making them a mage they may gain INT but lose stamina or strength.

Support and Healing magic as you should know are the better types of magic.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

The only problem I found with that glitch is your 4th character is stuck to level it all the normal way.

This makes me want to start a new game again.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Blog Entries

Well that is cirtainly interesting information. Thank you both for your assistance.

I'm only leveling magick up because I'm going to try and get some nice begining equipment from the guard captains in Fynn. I don't want all of my people to be fist fighters(Although I know that works), so I'm going to have one monkish character and the other three will be mages.

Anyway, thanks guys.

Black Wizard Lvl 16 Magic A FFII version question... Master Garland's Avatar

In the GBA version of which I have never played but have looked it up alot gives you more spell exp than other versions per use, however they took away the leveling trick from that version of which still exists in Origins and the NES version. I have exp in the Origins version as that is the only one I have ever played and I have all stats to 99 and 9999 respectively. All my characters weapons and magic is at level 16 besides Leon and my Ultima does 4400-8800 single Target and 900-2000 multi-target. So if you attack with magic use Ultima and get everything on your Ultima taught character to level 16. Also not all magic is weak Fire 16 Thunder 16 etc will do 3400+ damage if they hit weaknesses when STd or 500-1000 if MTd. Holy and Flare are only going to cap at 2000 damage ST or 200-400 MT.

By the way Ultima is bugged in the NES version it stays doing 100 forever. In the GBA version Ultima is way way powerful doing 9999 damage single target and 4500 multi-targeted!!! However without the leveling trick available that will take way to long to max everything to 16.

___________ A FFII version question... Kyreaan's Avatar

OOhhh good. Someone has gotten to this topic. I just recently noticed FFII remastered for the PSP. Here's my version question:

Should I walk to the store, dodge the bangers, hand in my copy of FF Origins, try not to sound mildly retarded and ask,

"Hi. I was wondering if I could trade in my copy of Final Fantasy Origins for store credit and look at your Final Fantasy 2 for PSP" ?

Chrono Cores:

Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyreaan View Post
    I would skip the part about it being a 100lb box set and consider the relative mass to converted energy for the staircase. The style I would first choose is to go for the Aeronaut legos and calculate relative time and distance to the axis points within the electromagnetic field that could cross over warping into a wormhole given enough density converted into energy by using the funnelled power of the sun. Enough power may be derived not from the sun, but from the mass of an artificial, contained black hole connected to a semi-quantum theorized single vacuum tube for energy wave processing. You cause youself to fold inward and then collapse in on itself, while rematerializing into another universe or within the same universe with the rest of your ship. Your reference points will be the nearby astrology of wherever you ended up, as well as the age of the nearby stars relative to your current star maps. Go ahead and give me a call or send me an email if I am considered for the position. Thanks. It was nice meeting you.
    I am slapping this thread up for an update. There was a petition set up at Petition Spot for .hack//Link (PSP). It says it is needing 50,000 signers, but it looks like they are asking for only 100 right now. This is asking for either an English patch or an English release towards both NA and Europe regions. It is the last game of the entire series.

.hack//Link English Localization- Petition Spot

The first two series, for those of you who don't read or know, were 7 volumes total and all for PS2. There was also an 8th; it was called .hack//Fragment Offline. A lot of people didn't know that I bet. Has anyone read any .hack manga? If you don't plan on getting Link and instead prefer to read, I recommend at least trying out .hack//Link Manga- Read .hack//Link Manga Online for Free at Manga Fox. Let me know what you think.

I own Final Fantasy Origins, and I also want the PSP remake as well. I don't mind trying either version. Origins for old school and PSP for easier when I'm on the go. I do use my PSP for on the go mainly now a lot.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

The question is how much credit would you get for FF Origins. It's a Playstation title and pending on where you go they may not take the game or would but for very little money. Which isn't too bad since Final Fantasy II (PSP) is around $18, if you live in the US. The PSP version does have a few extra things unique to itself that even the GBA version of FFII doesn't have. There is also a new Black Magic spell that is the more powerful than Ultima. Finally in the PSP version characters' stats won't decrease through the increase of the opposite increasing. I think the PSP version may have retained the Origins opening FMV. I would try to get it since the PSP version is better.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

Blog Entries

Y'know what I think?

I think you should keep origins. It's a great piece of Final Fantasy History and it has both FF I and II. There's alot to appreciate there. I've played both PSP versions of I and II and they are not that better from what I've played...(However, keep in mind I never got to far, I hadn't unlocked that crazy uber magick but I did hear of its exsitance) But is one spell really worth it? You'd have to buy two seperate titles. Furthermore, UMDs, quite frankly, are really easy to break. Chances of you keeping them long(Unless you are genuinly good at keeping them safe) is slim.

Keep the original!

___________ A FFII version question... Kyreaan's Avatar

Oh, maybe I'm just a fanatic about it, but yes one spell and a couple of cut scenes would be worth it. You see, they market to people like me. People who don't care about the obsessive need to buy something again knowing part of the thinking process of the makers is putting something out there in a new format for people whom never played it.

As far as UMD, I've always liked it, but then again I'm also a media freak so whichever.

Good arguement on H.U.N.K.
    Origins is a piece of FF history and I likes the antiques. If it wasn't for family looting, I would still have copies of very old stuff I'll never see again short of a flea market...ie...my original Sega, 16bit Nentindo, a copy of the first FF game I ever got FF7- my reason for getting the first PS. Like Merv says "you know the good old days, the all or nothing days" and you see something for the first time and think, "wow they actually did that."

Chrono Cores:

Quotes:
    I would skip the part about it being a 100lb box set and consider the relative mass to converted energy for the staircase. The style I would first choose is to go for the Aeronaut legos and calculate relative time and distance to the axis points within the electromagnetic field that could cross over warping into a wormhole given enough density converted into energy by using the funnelled power of the sun. Enough power may be derived not from the sun, but from the mass of an artificial, contained black hole connected to a semi-quantum theorized single vacuum tube for energy wave processing. You cause youself to fold inward and then collapse in on itself, while rematerializing into another universe or within the same universe with the rest of your ship. Your reference points will be the nearby astrology of wherever you ended up, as well as the age of the nearby stars relative to your current star maps. Go ahead and give me a call or send me an email if I am considered for the position. Thanks. It was nice meeting you.
    I am slapping this thread up for an update. There was a petition set up at Petition Spot for .hack//Link (PSP). It says it is needing 50,000 signers, but it looks like they are asking for only 100 right now. This is asking for either an English patch or an English release towards both NA and Europe regions. It is the last game of the entire series.

.hack//Link English Localization- Petition Spot

The first two series, for those of you who don't read or know, were 7 volumes total and all for PS2. There was also an 8th; it was called .hack//Fragment Offline. A lot of people didn't know that I bet. Has anyone read any .hack manga? If you don't plan on getting Link and instead prefer to read, I recommend at least trying out .hack//Link Manga- Read .hack//Link Manga Online for Free at Manga Fox. Let me know what you think.

The extra content I was also talking about for the PSP version were the Arcane Labyrinth dungeons; three in total & when they are completed the Arcane Sanctuary is opened where the player can challenge new bosses. I just found out that the PSP version has a defend command which was not present in all previous versions; for those who own the PSP version it is of no surprise but I don't own it so it is a nice bit of info. So there is a lot more than just a spell & FMV as well as the Art Galleries of FF: Origins are in the PSP version of Final Fantasy II.

EDIT: There are also ultimate weapons that can be gained by completing the bonus dungeons.
    Last edited by Zargabaath; 03-01-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Black Wizard Lvl 16 Magic A FFII version question... Master Garland's Avatar

For my tastes I hate the GBA versions on 1&2 because all the extras makes them stray to far from the original feeling of the game. Especially FF1 GBA sure the INT stat works in that version and every spell and weapon type but they screwed it over in other ways. For instance in FF1 the Black Wizard was the only character that could cast Flare/NUKE and the White Wizard was the only one that could cast Holy/Fade but in DoS any class can use a item that casts those in battle ie Judgment Staff etc. Whats more is that instead of balancing the game to where magic and physicals are the same strength in battle but in different ways DoS FF1 added even more powerful weapons for the Knights to outclass the Mages magic in that case they should have added the spell Ultima to FF1 DoS and make it ignore def and have a effect where it does 3x damage to all enemy types etc.

In all honesty Magic that causes big explosions and actually costs the user energy to cast should always do more damage than physicals no matter what.
    Logically field sized fire bombs and Thunderstorms as well as radioactive high heat blasts of non-elemental energy would be more effective than stupid idiotic sword slices.

Registered User A FFII version question... Shiro's Avatar

In all honesty Magic that causes
    big explosions and actually costs
    the user energy to cast should
    always do more damage than
    physicals no matter what.
    Logically field sized fire bombs
    and Thunderstorms as well as
    radioactive high heat blasts of
    non-elemental energy would be
    more effective than stupid idiotic
    sword slices.
    Final Fantasy, and fantasy games in general, tend to ignore real-life logic and physics. It's best not to analyse it too much!