Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FFI Help Thread

The Lost Writer FFI Help Thread Psiko's Avatar

Re: FFI Help Thread

Call me crazy, but try this one out for size:

Equip the Masamune on your White Wizard and have her attack when not healing. I know in the NES version this was more powerful, and the Knight and Ninja should both have decent enough weapons that this would be the best option for the Masamune.

Also, not sure what the equivalent in your game is (or how good it is) but I know in the NES version the spell FAST was great to use on the Knight and Ninja. It would make their attacks hit more times, which led to more damage per round.
    OLD SKOOL - A positive appellation referring to when things weren't flashy but empty of substance, were done by hard work, didn't pander to the lowest common denominator, and required real skill. Labour-saving devices, shortcuts that reduce quality and quitting before the task is done are not characteristics of "old skool."

In reference to computer games, refers to a game that had substantial playability without flashy graphics or eye candy. Old skool gamers appreciate difficult maneuvers, careful planning, and scorched earth policies.

In reference to role-playing games, old skool refers to games that tested players' wits, could kill off careless characters, and required dedication and inner strength to play. Old skool games didn't pander to the ideas that everyone is created equal, that all options are open to all races, that the markets were somehow free, and that a quasi-medieval society could have near 100% literacy.

See also classic.

Representing the Old Skool ways since 1984.

VioHanzo

Quote Originally Posted by Psiko View Post
    Call me crazy, but try this one out for size:

Equip the Masamune on your White Wizard and have her attack when not healing. I know in the NES version this was more powerful, and the Knight and Ninja should both have decent enough weapons that this would be the best option for the Masamune.

Also, not sure what the equivalent in your game is (or how good it is) but I know in the NES version the spell FAST was great to use on the Knight and Ninja. It would make their attacks hit more times, which led to more damage per round.
    Hey, thanks a lot for that. I still want to level my guys up a bit more before I take on Chaos again, but I will try this out. My Knight has Excalibur, and if not using Masamune, my Ninja would be using Sasuke's Blade.

FAST is known as HASTE in this updated version of FF1. Do you know how many team "buffs" can be applied at one time? Could I have FAST(Haste) and Protera (raises party's defense) applied at the same time?

I'll let you know how your "play" works once I finally try it. If it works, we'll have to name it after you.
    Last edited by VioHanzo; 10-05-2011 at 12:30 PM.

I don't see why they wouldn't stack but I would maybe try them in a normal battle and see how it goes. You should be able to get a good idea with a few trial battles.

Again, what I know pertains to the NES version of the game, and it may not be completely perfect in crossing over to other versions. But it is still the same game, so in theory it should be solid. Let me know how it goes!

Psiko's Play. I like the sound of that...
    OLD SKOOL - A positive appellation referring to when things weren't flashy but empty of substance, were done by hard work, didn't pander to the lowest common denominator, and required real skill. Labour-saving devices, shortcuts that reduce quality and quitting before the task is done are not characteristics of "old skool."

In reference to computer games, refers to a game that had substantial playability without flashy graphics or eye candy. Old skool gamers appreciate difficult maneuvers, careful planning, and scorched earth policies.

In reference to role-playing games, old skool refers to games that tested players' wits, could kill off careless characters, and required dedication and inner strength to play. Old skool games didn't pander to the ideas that everyone is created equal, that all options are open to all races, that the markets were somehow free, and that a quasi-medieval society could have near 100% literacy.

See also classic.

Note: I have the NES version of FFI via Wii's Virtual Console

After receiving the canoe from one of the seven sages(?), I am unsure where I should go. Based upon some info online, I apparently have to enter an ice-themed dungeon located around the southern/mid portion of the continent on the lower right of the map. However, located near that, is a single volcano. I have already been inside the volcano but I haven't done anything significant in there. As a result, I've spent most of my time leveling up my characters via traveling on the river.

If the order of the dungeons doesn't matter, what suggestions should I take depending on my circumstances (I'm sorry that I can't add any info about my party and their levels at this time).

tl;dr Where is the ice-themed dungeon located (if it even exist in the NEs version) and which area should I enter first: the ice-themed dungeon or the volcano?

In this case it truly is mere personal preference. Both are challenging dungeons to undertake. The Gurgu Volcano is where you will meet the second of the four fiends, and thus you must complete that soon enough. There are lots of lava floor tiles, so make sure you have plenty of means to heal yourself often.

The Ice Cave will be a little north from the volcano, along a different maze of water you navigate via canoe. There is a port a little to the north, on the same continent, from the village where you got the canoe. Some of the monsters in there will present a challenge for you, but it is a shorter dungeon and the boss is a lot easier to defeat. There are some damage floor tiles in there, as well, but not nearly as many as in the volcano.

The biggest benefit of doing one before the other is you find the protective armor of Ice in the Volcano (making it so your Fighter takes less damage in the Ice Cave) and the armor of Fire in the Ice Cave (making it so your Fighter takes less damage in the volcano). Apart from this, there is no real benefit to doing a certain one before the other. Just make sure you complete both before going too much further...

See also classic.

VioHanzo

My date with Chaos...

Unfortunately Psiko's Play, at least the part with the White Wizard and Masamune, didn't really work for me. But again, this is the iOS version of the game so that play might have been epically awesome on the original NES version.

So my White Wiz was of course the resident healer, but when everyone had at least 500+ HP, I had her throwing HOLY (FADE) while my Black Wiz was constantly throwing FLARE (NUKE). Both my Knight and my Ninja weren't doing much melee damage, so I switched them to support roles, giving Ether and Hi-potion injections to the heavy hitters when needed.

My Ninja only died once, and at the end I was victorious. Thanks Psiko, for your help. This is a game that I should have played decades ago, but I'm still glad I finally got around to playing and finishing it. I have FFII waiting on my iPad, so I'll be back when I need some more advice.

I think it was most effective for the NES for three reasons:

1. The magic system wasn't pooled MP, but rather a limited number of spell castings per level.

2. FADE was terrible.

3. There were no MP recovery potions to use during battle.

So it made the Melee more vital to success...

Congratulations on completion. The fun part is you can try new character combinations and enjoy this classic all over again. You would seriously do well to choose a Black Belt/Master over the Thief/Ninja. They are full of epic win.

And let's not forget the Red Mage! They are great for helping early in the game, but do fall into the "meh" category by the end of the game. When you are master of nothing, you fall behind those who excel in certain things...

See also classic.

VioHanzo

Quote Originally Posted by Psiko View Post
    I think it was most effective for the NES for three reasons:

1. The magic system wasn't pooled MP, but rather a limited number of spell castings per level.

2. FADE was terrible.

3. There were no MP recovery potions to use during battle.
    Ouch, but that's why you're Old Skool. I'm not sure I could have handled that when I was a kid. The only FF games I owned in their original incarnation was FF2 for the SNES (which I think was really FF4, right?) and FFX for the PS2 (which was the first FF I ever completed -- sad, right?)

Congratulations on completion. The fun part is you can try new character combinations and enjoy this classic all over again. You would seriously do well to choose a Black Belt/Master over the Thief/Ninja. They are full of epic win.

And let's not forget the Red Mage! They are great for helping early in the game, but do fall into the "meh" category by the end of the game. When you are master of nothing, you fall behind those who excel in certain things...
    Yeah, I had a feeling you had a certain affinity to the Red Mage. Since my melee'ers were pretty much useless in the final battle, a Red Mage, being a caster, might have helped immensely. Though, I'm in no rush to play through this again, I'll certainly switch it up, if/when I play again.

Thanks again. I have FF2 to play through now and the app store now has FF3 available, so I've got other quests to complete.

@Psiko

Thank you very much for answering my question. I decided to cover the ice dungeon first before facing against Gurgu Volcano and the second fiend. Currently, I am training inside the ice dungeon so that way, I am at a reasonable level for my characters (they're currently around level 20).

Anyhow, that's one of the reasons why I like this game; you don't feel as restricted to what you can do (then again, this was made during a time when RPGs, especially of Japanese origin, didn't restrict the player as much).

How is the system of the labirint of time on the FFI PSP, i want fight with Chronodia.

Okay, I don't normally find myself in this situation in FF games, and I'm a little embarrassed to ask it but...
    I've just defeated Lich, Fiend of Earth. What do I do now? I don't have any quests on the go, and the dancing girl in Cornelia doesn't have anything to tell me. A guy in Melmond mentioned that there was once a civilization in the Northland that's fallen into ruin, but I've been North of Melmond and I can't find any sign of a ruined civilization...
    Can anyone give me some direction?

Quote Originally Posted by X-Meteo View Post
    Okay, I don't normally find myself in this situation in FF games, and I'm a little embarrassed to ask it but...
    I've just defeated Lich, Fiend of Earth. What do I do now? I don't have any quests on the go, and the dancing girl in Cornelia doesn't have anything to tell me. A guy in Melmond mentioned that there was once a civilization in the Northland that's fallen into ruin, but I've been North of Melmond and I can't find any sign of a ruined civilization...
    Can anyone give me some direction?
    You need the 4 crystals, you got one with Lich, but now you need defeat Marilith, Kraken and Tiamat, to fight with Marilith you need go to Crescent lake, go to all vilages with the ship, you need find "Crescent Lake", on this village have an Sage Circle, you need find one circle, Talk with all sages on the circle, you got the Canoe, after this go to one Vulcan "Mount Gulg" and find the next fiend. Tell me when you defeat her.

Crescent Lake - got it, thanks! I figured I'd be defeating fiends and saving the crystals, I just didn't know where I had to go to save the next one

Quote Originally Posted by X-Meteo View Post
    Crescent Lake - got it, thanks! I figured I'd be defeating fiends and saving the crystals, I just didn't know where I had to go to save the next one
    Kraken! The next fiend.
    Now you have the Canoe... you need use this to find one cavern, well, i don't remember more this, but you need use the ship and go to one "Canoe Water", you can stay your ship here, use the canoe for find an ice cave, you need find a crystal, the Levistone
    Image: Image down

You need pass for a break ice, and fall to other cave, Be carefull, its have thorns, its down your HP, But you need to go through some. You go to the Levistone some hour. After doo it, you go to one desert:Image down

Use the levistone on the center, The airship apears.
    Use the airship to go on the Gaia: Image to find on down

Yeah, This town lies between the mountains. You need the airship. Enter on the town, buy itens, weapons, accessories and magics, after this go to the Caravan other desert: Image down

Buy the Bootled Fairy(50.000 Gil), after this, return to the Gaia, the fairy scape the bootle, find she on the river, she give to you the "OxYale".
    After this go to Onrac, You need find the submarine that there has. Take this( The Oxyale can you stay on the water) You explore here, when you find one Ladder down, you need find more, one moment you find one orb... the Kraken!
    I need decide what is the best
    Or

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3