Thread: (FF2) Things I've noticed so far,,,

Registered User (FF2) Things I've noticed so far,,, Locke4God's Avatar

(FF2) Things I've noticed so far,,,

I've just started this game, having not played it yet, and I wanted to get some reaction,

It feels expansive right off. I'm only 4 hours in or so and already I've been to 7 towns and cities.

I think what I'm liking most though is that upgrading weaponry just feels more fun and realistic than most other games. Trying to explain it doesn't make it sound that way, but it just always feels like the game encourages you to go and grind a bit to earn some $ for what you would like to get, and that the upgrades are clearly helpful as you approach new areas.

It's so easy to get to new areas thus far though that you kind of just want to run with it and see where you can go, and then worry about upgrading equipment as you can. It's just really really fun so far.

And the characters seem cool as well. It's got more of the "destiny" quality to each character which you don't really find with most of the modern games. I love the "chosen one" aspect to some of the early main characters.
    Last edited by Locke4God; 03-24-2011 at 12:36 PM.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth (FF2) Things I've noticed so far,,, Xanatos's Avatar

Re: (FF2) Things I've noticed so far,,,

Though I may be one of the few, what I truly love about this game is it's leveling system, simple, yet natural. The more your characters use swords, axes, knives, magic,...,better they get at it, the more they take hit, the more they can endure, needless to say the entire concept was before it's time, no wonder so many AAA titles still use it.

From what I can tell, you may actually like this game, it fits some of your criteria's, few things I saw you want to see in next Final Fantasy title.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Let darkness overshadow the light.. (FF2) Things I've noticed so far,,, Angel of Iniquity's Avatar

I do love the leveling up system, tho I think it would be best if the characters were to level "their class" of weapons faster. Guy's axes faster, Firions Swords and shields faster.
    I know there isn't any specific job classes, but it would make the game a little more interesting.

A great thing is, the ability to move where you don't belong. I traveled far to a town with weapons far stronger than mine. They costed too much. I was stuck there. If I tried to travel back, some Land rays would attack me.

Your pathetic existence will shut down. I will make your lives end in ruin. Fear me, as you fear death. Not a threat, not a promise, but what must be finished. 7 final arcs...

Registered User (FF2) Things I've noticed so far,,, Locke4God's Avatar

Good Posts,

I don't know what it is, but every time I play one of these old school games for the first time, I really miss them. I kinda wish they'd come out with new games done in sprite style with big expansive stories. In a lot of ways I just enjoy them more.

Resident Saint Seiya fanboy (FF2) Things I've noticed so far,,, Leon's Avatar
    Anywhere I want to live. Wonderful, is it not?
    Blog Entries

FFII is one of my favorite FFs, and while people love to criticize the leveling system, it makes sense if you ask me. If you're a thief and you're just starting out with axes, there's NO WAY you'll be able to do a lot of damage on your first hit, let alone score multiple hits.

Personally, I love the magic scrolls. Learn magic from them, or use them to cast a Level 8 spell. The world map is quite large as well, lots of people would hate to go to an area by walking a lot. But it does give you a chance to level up.
    Please read the poetry from two great friends of mine. May they find peace.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    ~St. Augustine

Registered User (FF2) Things I've noticed so far,,, vicks and wedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Locke4God View Post
    Good Posts,

I don't know what it is, but every time I play one of these old school games for the first time, I really miss them. I kinda wish they'd come out with new games done in sprite style with big expansive stories. In a lot of ways I just enjoy them more.
    locke ,
    try playing a title called Black Sigil: Blade of The Exciled for the ds..it is just that an old school rpg with sprites and all its sort of a snes 16 bit style. good charachters good music, deep long story. it came out in 08 it was really fun to play something new in the old style.