Thread: Famicom vs DS difficulty

Ayyye Famicom vs DS difficulty Lacquer Head's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Famicom vs DS difficulty

I'm wanting to play through FF III again since I never actually completed it back in the day on DS. Kinda just lost interest I guess. Anyway, I'll be playing it on an emulator this time around, but my main question is, which version will be more challenging? I tried an NDS emulator for FF IV once a few months ago and it was rather laggy and glitchy and ran pretty hard on my computer (5 year old emachine...wouldn't expect less) so I have a feeling I wont be able to play the ROM for FF III for awhile, but I will just put it on the bottom of the list if that's an issue.

My brain isn't working right today, so try to ignore my nonsensical ramblings lol

I GUESS THE QUESTION IS: Do all the updates make the DS version a more challenging/fun game or is the classic the ultimate version? Would it be worth waiting for the DS version on top of that.

Re: Famicom vs DS difficulty

From what I'm told. The Famicon/NES Version is harder then the DS version. But I haven't played the DS version so I can't compare the two.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Consistently Average Famicom vs DS difficulty Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't played the original but I do know that there's a few changes to gameplay etc. I'm pretty sure the Famicom had higher difficulty than the DS remake because 'player friendly' wasn't in their vocabulary back then, which isn't such a bad thing.

Xande is supposed to be be nigh on impossible to beat, whereas in the DS version, he was no real threat. I can't really shed any light on that but just grind like most games and you shouldn't have any trouble with whatever is thrown at you.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Zisa View Post
    I haven't played the original but I do know that there's a few changes to gameplay etc. I'm pretty sure the Famicom had higher difficulty than the DS remake because 'player friendly' wasn't in their vocabulary back then, which isn't such a bad thing.

Xande is supposed to be be nigh on impossible to beat, whereas in the DS version, he was no real threat. I can't really shed any light on that but just grind like most games and you shouldn't have any trouble with whatever is thrown at you.
    Impossible you say? I like the sound of that heh

Fighter Famicom vs DS difficulty Hunter T's Avatar

The DS version has some... "fake" difficulty. For one, due to limitations, only three-monster groups can be fought at a time. To make up for this, the enemies are stronger. The bosses also seem to have changed as well (I HATE Salamander) and have more hit points.

But now, you no longer have to savestate through the middle of a long dungeon so you can sleep or stay up just to get your ass kicked, as there is quicksave.

I'd say DS is harder, but the Famicom/NES version is a bit more confusing.

Abit offtop, but can you actually buy a NES version of English FF3 somewhere? I've heard you can get people to custom patch it for you on a certain version of Super Mario Bros 2 cartridge for about $100. I don't want to go through the hassle of finding that cartridge and just want to buy the whole thing already patched. NES version is the best version.

Nevermind. Found the solution. It's called PowerPak and you can play any NES rom or game on it. Yes, that includes FFIII as well.

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2...ller-apps-nes/

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info...products_id=34
    Last edited by Odin1199; 07-31-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, harder boss difficulty was what I was looking for. I totally forgot about this thread lol sorry about that. Anyway...I have yet to start a version, but NES is the one that is looking most likely.

Chocobo Queen Famicom vs DS difficulty Katpuss's Avatar
    I would say that the DS version is harder and the graphics are obviously much better. Xande isn't that hard to beat, agreed, but there are some tough bosses such as Odin who drove me insane!

The original III on the Famicom is good but the graphics haven't aged well, compared to IX which still looks beautiful, and the DS III is also available on Android and the iphone.
    Vanille: "Wishes can come true, but not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves, here and now"
    Lightning: "It's not a question of can or can't. There are some things in life you just do"

Cloud of Darkness: "We are the Cloud of Darkness...None shall stand before the flood of darkness. With it, we will bring the Void to this world, and your world of light as well..."
    Luneth: "We won't let you! Not if we have anything to say about it!"

Cloud: "And if you don't tell us...I'll chop them off"
    Aerith: "...I'll rip them off"
    Tifa: "I'll smash them"