Thread: Even on the fiftieth playthrough, you can learn...

The Lost Writer Even on the fiftieth playthrough, you can learn... Psiko's Avatar

Even on the fiftieth playthrough, you can learn...

Okay, maybe I haven't quite beat Final Fantasy fifty times, but I HAVE played through the game a lot of times over the years. Some have even cited me as being an expert on the game, although I feel that this expertise must have been incomplete if I just now am learning some new things about the game.

Plus, not to mention, I'm only just now working through the four White Mage challenge in the game, which is how I came across this discovery.

With this group, winning fast is not an option against anything other than the undead. I have gained a new favorite spell on White Mage, and believe it or not this is a Level One spell. According to FFWiki, RUSE increases the caster's evasion by 80. I have no way to actually test this number, but I do know that I start any tough fight with all four mages casting RUSE on themselves, and after that the monsters miss. A lot.

Of course with a traditional group this doesn't help a whole lot, but even then there are battles where it comes down to every hit counting. And, later in the game, how much will you miss that one level one spell's MP?

Have any of you ever had revelations like this, even after "mastering" a game?
    OLD SKOOL - A positive appellation referring to when things weren't flashy but empty of substance, were done by hard work, didn't pander to the lowest common denominator, and required real skill. Labour-saving devices, shortcuts that reduce quality and quitting before the task is done are not characteristics of "old skool."

In reference to computer games, refers to a game that had substantial playability without flashy graphics or eye candy. Old skool gamers appreciate difficult maneuvers, careful planning, and scorched earth policies.

In reference to role-playing games, old skool refers to games that tested players' wits, could kill off careless characters, and required dedication and inner strength to play. Old skool games didn't pander to the ideas that everyone is created equal, that all options are open to all races, that the markets were somehow free, and that a quasi-medieval society could have near 100% literacy.

See also classic.

Representing the Old Skool ways since 1984.

Even on the fiftieth playthrough, you can learn... rJ floW's Avatar

Re: Even on the fiftieth playthrough, you can learn...

I have, its called "not having 4 white mages"

all jokes aside tho, I've read that a few spells like ruse and xfer are glitched and dont actually change any of the stats.....i never really used ruse (or bought it) with my one obligatory white mage.

futhermore, as pertaining to this post, I've realized how amazing black belts are (if you can get past the initial shitshow they create) and how shitty someone like the thief is, even if you want to use him for running purposes, because he's so costly and can't equip weapons to benefit him until he's the ninja....coincidentally, my ninja vs black belt epiphany came as a result of me and psiko debating over and over years back....i decided to replay it via an em/rom and I realized I was wrong on my thief love....

(and that was after over a decade of ff1 playing btw)

much love Psiko!
    tHe ChOsEn
    rJ floW
    .EcKS.
    Lionhart2001 aka Pete
    LocoColt04
    Telegraph aka Calamity Taco
    Neo Necron
    OceanEyes28
    Usagy
    This is why bitches love me

Human crack in the flesh, im the last of the best, one word to describe me? Spectacular yes"-Juelz Santana-

Registered User Even on the fiftieth playthrough, you can learn... Selcopa's Avatar

Re: Even on the fiftieth playthrough, you can learn...

1 WHM challenge is harder
    http://www.kadokado.com?ref=Selcopa ~Free games with some prizes