Thread: Your RPG System

Your RPG System

I checked to see if this topic existed, but I didn't see anything, so delete it if there is. This topic is fairly simple. In your opinion what system that you own or have played has the best library of RPGs.

My pick is the Playstation 1 (the system that created my love for the RPG). The system couldn't miss with the what are possibly the best FFs ever made. Final Fantasy 8 is still my most favorite game of all time. It also had Legend of Dragoon, Vagrant Story, and Crusaders of Might and Magic which have become some of my favorites.

Re: Your RPG System

The SNES would have to top my list.

I don't need fancy graphics, sure they are nice, but with the lack of graphics publishers were forced to focus on story and not eye candy. It also let you play more on your imaginative side, giving sprites real faces and making them more relateable to ones self.

Crono Trigger was amazin, of course there was FFMQ, FFIV, FFVI, SoM, LoZ Link to the past, and quite a few more that I am intentionally failing to mention.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

It'll be the snes and then PS1 cos i grew up on that console

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link View Post
    I don't need fancy graphics, sure they are nice, but with the lack of graphics publishers were forced to focus on story and not eye candy. It also let you play more on your imaginative side, giving sprites real faces and making them more relateable to ones self.
    Well said, I think that that's why some of today's RPG market tends to fail with veterans of the genre. Hell, the main reason that I got in to video games as a kid was because of the imagination. However, if something can be "made better" or "updated" the bastards are gonna do it.

Registered User Your RPG System Megatron0000's Avatar

PS1 for FF7, FF8, FF9, FF Anthologies, FF Origins, Chrono Trigger remake, Legend of Dragoon, CV: SotN, Vagrant Story (Iwish they'd have made a sequel), FF Tactics, I have to throw Chrono Cross in their even though i hated it others liked it, Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, RE 1-3, and Xenogears. There ya go

.............. Your RPG System smurphy's Avatar

In terms of quality the PS1( FF VII, VIII, IX, Vagrant story, LOD, FF Tactics and a few others) but in terms of quantity the PS2( FF X, X-2, XII, Persona 3, 4, Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle, Star Ocean: Til the End of Time, Dragon Quest VIII, Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 and theres quite a few others). For the sheer fact that FF VII and VIII are my favourite games respectively and for sentimental value, for me the PS1 just beats the PS2.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

My pick is PS2 since I can play both PS1 and 2 games on it, the majority of the RPGs I like are for one of the Playstation systems.

Ta DA!!!:

Alright, who censored my rocketship?

From The Clint Eastwood
    I'm thinking about creating a hybrid. A dolphin-monkey. Half dolphin, half monkey. Do you think it's possible?
    I was thinking that since I'm artificially creating it, I'll create it with rocket fuel instead of blood, and thus it will be able to fly, using the dolphin's dorsal fins as wings. And from the air, it will look down upon us all and protect us against sharks, and search for bananas.
    Block says:" this one time i got SUPER blazed and was riding with my friend to mcd's and i ran my fingers through my jew fro saying "I just feel like dancing"
    by Alpha: "Hate breeds hate. Love breeds love. F*ck real politik."
    Originally Posted by Michael Swayne
    I find Gypsy to be a very interesting person. In fact, when my hair grows out some more, Gypsy has already laid claim to it when I cut it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Meier Link
    I don't need fancy graphics, sure they are nice, but with the lack of graphics publishers were forced to focus on story and not eye candy.
    You know I love me some old school, but I completely disagree with this assertion. Go back and look at the stories of older RPGs. Really look at them. At best, they're just as cliched and predictable as they are today. There are exceptions, naturally, but overall, storytelling in games has improved with technology, not the reverse.

Back to the topic, PS1 for sure. I was a genesis kid, I never owned a SNES. All the SNES Square games I had were via the PS1 remakes, as well as the many RPGs made for the platform itself.

That is, of course, unless PC counts. If that were the case, I have a back catalog of 20 years to account for.
    Last edited by Jin; 03-23-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Until now!

Registered User Your RPG System

Hmmm... I have a lot of fond memories of the SNES era of gaming (and a few of the RPGs I played still make my top games list), but I think my favorite would fall with the PS1 and PS2 games, but I'll go ahead and say just PS2 because Gypsy makes a good point. You can play PS1 games on a PS2, so it counts like that.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

I would explode to save your life~ Your RPG System SeaAlchemist's Avatar

PS2 it has kick butt RPGS

Certified tech, come at me! Your RPG System SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SNES all the way. I can think of very many games and games translated only that I enjoy very much and would play them again, and again, and again. You guys should already know the games I like.
    Currently Playing:

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Your RPG System Xanatos's Avatar

I didn't play many RPG games on the earlier systems, actually the first time I showed any interest for RPG at all is after playing Final Fantasy IX and VIII, so I guess I'll go with PS1. I did play few good RPG games on PS1 besides Final Fantasy, Legend of Dragoon and Vagrant Story for istance, also Parasite Eve 2 but not sure if that counts since it was survival horror game with RPG elements.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Blog Entries

PS2 has some rocking rpgs out for it, so I'll go with that one. SNES is a good second place contender with the amount of rpgs that it had as well, but sadly Nintendo didn't port some of their finer games over to the US.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Registered User Your RPG System Pendulous's Avatar

I would go with the PS2, but that would also include some PS1 games. Hmm...maybe it actually is the PS1. Or 2. Ugh, I don't know. Let's say 2.
    "Sworn enemies...take that! Sky dragon slash! you shall be defeated!"

Relaxin' with Final Fantasy Your RPG System KainsBro's Avatar

SNES, loved all the games mentioned, plus Illusion of Gaia and Super Mario RPG played those games a lot! PS1 and 2, is my second place.