View Poll Results: Your preference?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love the new remote style without the cords.

5 26.32%
  • I love the old style where my controller is never lost.

4 21.05%
  • I don't care either way, I just wanna play.

10 52.63%

Thread: Wireless controllers vs. old-school.

Chief Inspiring Officer Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wireless controllers vs. old-school.

Hello, all. The current trend appears to be wireless controllers, right? They cost a whole bunch more, are easily lost and run out of batteries often.
    But the old style with the cord is kind of annoying, too. With all the mess. But we're used to it (I know there's more than one of us who has yanked the wireless controller back suddenly to clear the now non-existent cord from garbage on the ground)
    So, my question: is it worth it? Which do you prefer and why?
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

Blog Entries

Re: Wireless controllers vs. old-school.

I prefer wireless; I can play the game from anywhere in the room, without having to worry about the chord getting in the way. If I wanna play Skyrim half asleep laying on my side, I can play Skyrim half asleep laying on my side (suppose you can do that with a wired controller too, but not as easily or comfortably.) I particularly like the rechargeable ones in this generation of consoles (the PS3 and I think 360, anyway; the Wii has rechargeable controllers too, if you buy some peripherals.) Generally don't experience losing my controller, although it occasionally happens. But then I find it again. Kinda like looking for the TV Remote. An occasional inconvenience to an otherwise more lazy experience.

Although overall, I don't really care. Just give me a controller, and I'm good. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Wired because of the millisecond difference in the gaming. It makes all the difference.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

Queen Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Crescent's Avatar

Great question, Wired. I hate motion control n wireless controllers tend to lag, cost more to use (require batteries), n if you let ur little siblings play ur games they're harder to find if they get lost. Playing with wireless controllers nowadays n having such problems makes Me wana go back to when things were simpler.

Professional Klutz. Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Hyzenthlay's Avatar

Wired, by far. I don't like the extra weight that using batteries brings. I also prefer the feel. My wired xbox remote let's my fingers rest at the back and my wired one has a huge block where the batteries go. It's not something that'd stop me playing but I don't like the feel. In my oppinion wired are just more comfortable in general.

I do agree about it being cheaper to use, too. You can buy a rechargeable battery pack but that's still expense you don't have with wired.

Edit: Also, sure the wire CAN get in the way and CAN get caught on things. It almost never does though. In fact I can't think of the last time.

Hyz.
    Cogito, ergo sum.
    PRK9, putting the Kitty back in Por Rorr.
    Most likely to have supernatural babies- TFF Bogus Awards 2009- Winner

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Wireless controllers vs. old-school. ZantetsukeN's Avatar

I'm not bothered either way. Wired is cool because there is no batteries dying on you in the middle of a game. Plus there is very few connection issues (unless it's an old controller). However, the wire can get caught, and also reach is a problem most of the time.

Wireless is cool because of the convenience and freedom. Although, in the case of X360 controllers, they are very heavy unless you buy a battery pack.

But again, I'm not bothered. As long as I am playing a game I am not bothered one bit.

Crash Boom Bang Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Lily's Avatar

I prefer wired. despite the amount of times ive yanked the lead and pulled it out of the console/knocked the console over fallen over and had people falling over my wires, wireless just annoys me too much, seems like all Im ever doing is recharging the batteries. They feel flimsier too, and they cost more AND it's just one more thing to loose along side the tv remote because its nevwer attached to the console like it should be ):<
    And they cost more

edit* saying that though, i dont think ive ever had to replace the batteries in my Wii remote... so if my PS3 one actually lasted longer than 5 minutes Id maybe feel differently. It just annoys me that when i do need to charge it the lead is about two foot long and im essentially sat on top of the tv if i want to keep playing

Consistently Average Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Kurt Zisa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I prefer wired controllers, mainly because I only have a slimline ps2 and that's all im stuck with. I've tried those wireless ones before and it just felt strange to not have the weight of the cord pulling it slightly. Eh I know what i'm talking about.

There's always been those issues with other people tripping over or walking through the wires while i'm using it in the lounge, which i'm always freaking out about. Where else am I gonna find decent ps2 controllers anyway. Plus they get snagged on junk that's lying around which results in me trying to dislodge them by swinging them around skipping rope style. It usualy works.
    Currently Playing:
    Pillars of Eternity (PC)

I play Magic! See what decks im playing or building here!

#LOCKE4GOD Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Both have pros and cons. I hate that I keep losing controllers now, which also makes them easier to stand on. My flatmates gave my controller sticky O and X buttons, dicks. They cost too much to replace too, so I've given up.

However I love that you can play them under blankets with greater ease. Keeps your arms and torso warmer than they used to be when playing in winter/night time.

Wires were messy though, and I'm a neat freak. However those ****ing USB charging cords are far too short to be practical.

Boxer of the Galaxy Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Rowan's Avatar

If you prefer wired, then why not just play with a wireless controller thats plugged into the ps3? Thats wired and obviously wont run out of charge. I prefer wireless because I can play it from anywhere in my room and i prefer that the controller has a bit more weight to it.

Bananarama Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't really have a preference. My 360 came with wireless controllers, and I picked up the rechargeable battery packs with the wired chargers. I lay on my bed when I play, and the distance isn't anything ridiculous, so I just leave my controller plugged in. If I'm laying in bed watching movies on my 360, and don't wanna get tangled in the wire, I'll unplug it. If a millisecond of lag kills me, then so be it; I don't play for money or anything where it's my livelihood.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Hewerya love...? Wireless controllers vs. old-school. seanb's Avatar

I prefer wired cos I'm a hipster. I balance the wire between my toes and wiggle them to the sounds of my human league LPs

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Xanatos's Avatar

I'm OK with both, though I prefer wireless for the same reason some members have stated in this thread, in other words freedom to play from anywhere in your room.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Registered User Wireless controllers vs. old-school.

I'm not picky, but I suppose wireless would be most ideal, since my cat likes playing with the cords when I drag out my wired controllers. My PS2 cords have so many teeth marks on 'em.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Mystyrion

I prefer wireless. For reasons that have already been stated.
    I also like wireless headsets, that way I don't have to take it off and on when I need to leave the room (Bio or for food).

Plus my tritton headset has about three cords running around me and it bugs the hell out of me. I don't need anymore running around.

Chief Inspiring Officer Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

See, I have problems with wireless. Because there's no cord to balance it, the controllers are always being knocked off tables and they hit the floor. I haven't broken any yet, but it's usually a nasty clunking sound that makes your heart jump at the thought of a $23+ price tag. I usually spend the next minute hugging the thing "Are you hurt? Don't scare me like that."
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

Wireless, easily. The kind with rechargeable batteries inside, like the PS3. Not the kind where you have to change out AA batteries every now and again.

You don't have a limited distance from the system to play the game.
    If you have pets, you don't have to worry about possibly getting your cord chewed up.
    No cords to get tangled.
    Oh, and it's happened to me a couple times... Someone trips over the cord, yanking the whole system down from where it's setting and only doing damage. My PS2 looks like crap because of that.

I don't know. I just don't see how anyone can prefer corded controllers to what we have now.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy

Up Next: Final Fantasy II

Mystyrion

Quote Originally Posted by cyanosuke View Post
    See, I have problems with wireless. Because there's no cord to balance it, the controllers are always being knocked off tables and they hit the floor. I haven't broken any yet, but it's usually a nasty clunking sound that makes your heart jump at the thought of a $23+ price tag. I usually spend the next minute hugging the thing "Are you hurt? Don't scare me like that."
    I play off a desk in my room. I have a drawer just for them, so I don't ever really have to worry about that

Blog Entries

I love my wireless PS3 controller. I've never had a problem with running down the charge even if I play all day long (or am marathoning something on Netflix), as long as I started with a full charge. And it takes very little time to top off. I do have a cat so no cord means nothing for him to grab/sit on and get in my way when I'm playing. I don't notice it being overly heavy or anything, either. I do occasionally knock it off the arm of my chair but then, I did that with corded controllers too, so meh.

I do greatly dislike my mom's Wiimotes, though. In this day and age, all wireless controllers should be rechargeable, imo. It just seems like such a waste. Plus pretty much every time I need to use one for something, the batteries are dead, necessitating a ten minute quest to replace said batteries.
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Fighter Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Hunter T's Avatar

For me, it doesn't matter which controller it is as I just want to play. However, I have had issues with both. The wired controllers of my PlayStation seem a bit too short at times and have the console fall when I tug. The wireless Wii controllers are expensive ($40 just to let another person play!) and I easily lose them. Although the batteries last a long time, I never have any batteries in the house when I need to change them and the sensor bar doesn't work as well as it used to anymore. D:<

Scholar Wireless controllers vs. old-school. Kyrel's Avatar

The wireless Playstation controllers are light, do not need batteries (you can recharge them in a USB port) and give me a much better time playing as I can sit anywhere and even lie down.
    The Xbox controllers however, are far more heavy and actually require batteries.
    There's no denying wireless controllers are a big and convenient invention.
    Here's a riddle: When is a croquet mallet like a billy club?

What is this I don't even Musashiden's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love my wireless controllers. I haven't noticed the supposed wireless lag in any game I've played, even in games like VF and SSFIV that require precise frame-to-frame timing. I don't see why people get up in arms about that shit. If you have to change batteries, yeah that blows, but if that's your only obstacle to being able to play from 30 feet away, that's not much of a gripe.

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?
    Thread killer extraordinaire since 4/20/01.
    Tumblr | Twitter

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Wireless. And 3rd party (for the first time in any console generation) because the stock PS3 controller is too small to be comfortable in my hands. I have the PowerA Batarang controller and it feels more like an Xbox360 controller which I'd always found more comfortable. It fixed the one thing I despised about many wireless controllers - no ability to quickly check rechargeable battery status sometimes resulting in game annoyances. This one I just press a button, battery level is shown and if low, pause somewhere convenient, plug the charger cable in and away I go. Perfect weight, no battery sticking out, freedom from cords. Wired isn't a big turn off though, if I find a wired controller noticeably more comfortable than a wireless one I'd go wired in a heartbeat.
    victoria aut mors

Wired ! Can't stress this enough. The wireless controllers are so annoying because you have to replace them with new batteries like every six weeks. If you're a hardcore gamer maybe even less than that. And it's so annoying !

I got a X- Box 360 at the start of this year and I've had to replace the wireless controller with new batteries about 10 times and it's not even October yet.

I re-plugged and hooked in my old PS2 and just hugged and embraced the old wired controller that I took for granted.

What is this I don't even Musashiden's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblegum View Post
    Wired ! Can't stress this enough. The wireless controllers are so annoying because you have to replace them with new batteries like every six weeks. If you're a hardcore gamer maybe even less than that. And it's so annoying !

I got a X- Box 360 at the start of this year and I've had to replace the wireless controller with new batteries about 10 times and it's not even October yet.

I re-plugged and hooked in my old PS2 and just hugged and embraced the old wired controller that I took for granted.
    Get a rechargeable battery and a quick-charge kit. You've never pay for batteries for it again. It's really not that expensive either. Just keep the quick-charge cord away from any cats or rodents you may have and you're set.

Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?
    Thread killer extraordinaire since 4/20/01.
    Tumblr | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by loaf View Post
    Wired because of the millisecond difference in the gaming. It makes all the difference.
    And it helps psychologically, knowing it's more responsive.