Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: White Knight Chronicles

White Knight Chronicles Kerrigan's Avatar

White Knight Chronicles

Ok so I was super excited about this game because of the fact that you could make your own character.

So I bought it on the release date and I have to say it's been a bit of a letdown. The story is SUPER generic and some of the plotpoints are kinda like "o.O" as they happen in odd ways at times. Also, the 'custom character' might as well not even exist because they're silent through the WHOLE game.... they don't even interract with anyone and serve only as ur ONLINE avatar.

As for online, it's a bit of a grind. Lots of time and effort for, really, nothing, in the end.

I'm not discouraged from playing, because the game for some reason, has its charm, despite all of the things going against it. So I won't abandon it, lol. Just wondering if anyone has played it and to hear others thoughts on it.

-----WoW Characters-----
    Adonik Lv80 Blood Elf Mage - Thorium Brotherhood

Re: White Knight Chronicles

Was expecting this game to not be that great.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

The Quiet One White Knight Chronicles Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I knew most of that going into the game. So I wasn't really disappointed when I picked up the game. I knew what to expect and it was a fun game. I've already beat the game, last night actually. I tend to be pretty forgiving about things when playing games unless I go in with a negative view about the game or it really does something to make me upset. Either way though, I do suspect that others will not be pleased with the ending of the game. Because I'm less critical.

I enjoyed the game for the experience that it provided me and it was a lot of fun. In fact the whole feeling of going around and transforming mostly at will into the White Knight made me feel like I was back playing Xenogears and you really can't beat that feeling. So that pretty much stuck with me the entire way through the game. So I always was having fun. I really love Greede, it is an awesome city, reminds me of Lindblum from FFIX, which again is an awesome thing to think of because it was one of the best cities in the game.

I am actually hoping to find people to team up with for the online stuff. I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it. >.> Demon's Souls...

Anyway, I am a little disappointed that the bulk of the abilities I've unlocked are more or less meaningless. And if they have an effect that makes them unique it is never stated. So you just find which ever is the strongest non-AC ability and just spam it. Which is a little sad. The only point of half of the abilities is to create combos with them, since you can't double up abilities in the combos. So all of the extras you never use are used in combos. It is just a little weird when the first ability you pick up proves to be the strongest one. Makes you wonder why you'd go buy any others. *shrugs* That's about my own complaint with the game, abilities are a bit of a deadend. You just go grab the stat boosts and jump to the next group for more stat boosts.

It's really weird though, it doesn't feel a lot like a Level 5. At least not like Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy. It has fusion for weapons and weapon improvements, but it feels so unnecessary and unavailable. In both Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy you could fuse whenever you wanted so long as you had the materials. And with the way fights got harder you were really encouraged to try to make better weapons. I was looking for to it, but when I got to the fusion I ended up never using it because I had to go to a town to do it and I had to increase in the store's level to get better equipment available to me. So I just ended up ignoring it. It was one of the best parts of their games.

I liked the fact that all of the equipment changed as you swapped them out. Which affect the appearance in cutscenes. I'm glad that finally happened, but it is really disappointing when games only put in battles or just leave it out for cutscenes. I had Yulie wearing cat glasses through half of the game and it was so funny to watch, even Kara was wearing some glasses.

I had a lot of fun with the game, but it was certainly not Level 5's best outing. Here's hoping that White Knight 2 is back at their A game, because I don't think they brought their A game for this one.

When you watched the opening for the game did you get the same feeling that I did? When I saw it I thought that I was watching the opening to an mecha anime or something, especially with the ending part they had with everyone together. I made to laugh a lot. Makes me feel like I may have watched Episode 1 of WKC, a really long 25 hour episode, but still.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

The Old Skool Warrior White Knight Chronicles LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I am actually hoping to find people to team up with for the online stuff. I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it. >.> Demon's Souls...
    QFT

But really though, I look at WKC in much of the same manner that I view Monster Hunter - though, at least WKC actually has a story mode. It doesn't bother me in the LEAST that the player-created character is an observer to the story. I think it gives the player a unique second-person view of the storyline. I can't think of any other game that does that, and only a handful of books.

I know it's a little bland, but that's fine with me. Look at the Monster Hunter series. There's no story. You make your character, kill stuff, make better gear, kill stuff, make better gear, save the town, make better gear, kill stuff, make better gear... etcetera. A lot of people would look at that and say, "wow, that game has NO POINT AT ALL," but I happen to love it. It's a strange sense of accomplishment which the game provides.

Compare that to WKC. I know I haven't played too much yet myself, but with page after page after page of armor and weapon creations, I know this will have the same type of draw for me. I don't mind the idea of an online grindfest in order to make the good stuff.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Blog Entries

I have to ask what does those three letters stand for?

That aside though, you're right about there being a lot of weapons and stuff to make. They have a trophy for having 600 unique items. >.> I think that says something about how much time you can spend in the game just finding and making stuff. I mean they have dozens of harvesting locations all over each map.

Speaking of maps, they are huge! I've never seen a game with such huge maps. I mean FFXII had a few, but the ones in WKC are just crazy. There may only be like twenty maps in the entire game, but each map is the entire dungeon/region. There's no loading screens for the area you jump into. It is all seamless and every time I thought it could not get bigger I just kept finding an even large map. I know I've spent like two hours traversing one map, sure I detoured a little, but still. That is pretty huge for a single map.

Oh and in towns there's no load screens for going into houses and shops. It was awesome. If I wanted to go in I just walked in without waiting. It was crazy. I'm so used to having to hit loading screens for houses and stores I was beside myself when I learned I didn't have to wait. This game will make me regret going back to other RPGs with loading screens.
    Last edited by Andromeda; 02-07-2010 at 03:10 AM.

Certified tech, come at me! White Knight Chronicles SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wasn't sure which WKC thread to reply on so I decided to just choose this one, anyway, I recently picked this game up myself and i really like it. To me this game gets higher than a 6-7 rating in my opinion, I really enjoy it. I tried some of the online quests as well. Love the customization involved and the gameplay in general. Only bought it for under 20 dollars used on amazon.
    Currently Playing:

Blog Entries

I actually recently got back into WKC. I had been wanting to do the online component for so long, but I didn't have anyone to play with. But a few others from the forums here, I'll leave them to speak for themselves if they wish, party up and play together. You should stick around for the online quests, it gets pretty addicting.

People apparently have guilds on there. We can start up our own little TFF guild with enough people. I know there are a few others that play the game on TFF. Might be able to get enough people together to actually have a lot of little quests going on.

If you want you can friend me on PSN and stop by my town. It currently is a harvesting town, so you can mining and farming items from the harvestable locations.

Lady Succubus White Knight Chronicles Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm one of the ones that plays as well every Sunday. =P
    Well, I was.. until my PS3 died. =(

But I will be back soon and catch up. Been meaning to go the Archer/1H route.

Blog Entries

Technically we do have a guild already, albeit unofficial. XD I'd be for that. I'm actually a bit surprised that not many people on here play it. A bit like Demon's Souls I suppose, got a pretty niche audience. Brings back a lot of memories from XI, really. I can overlook some of the game's shortcomings because of that. If they'd offered nonhuman PCs (which they should have, imo), I would have recreated Darka in an instant.

Actually, I find what draws me to this type of game is mainly the community feel online RPGs seem to foster. Particularly since most RPGs in general are a solo affair. Co-op is a nice break and a chance to hang out with like-minded people. Plus there's something different and immensely satisfying about working with a group to bring down some big bad or other. It's just more fun.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

I have to ask what does those three letters stand for?
    Not sure if you were serious with this one seeing no one responded to it. Can't read net sarcasm well today haha. Anyways, it means quoted for truth.

Sabin has me interested in picking this title up. Been thinking about it for a while now but after a few disappointing titles paying full price for I tend to wait for game prices to go down a bit.

I did go out and look for it the other day. Checked 4-5 game stores and all of them were sold out of the new and used copies. Guessing it is pretty high demand around here.

When talking to Sabin he did inform me that a lot of the people that are playing with him don't use a head set which is disappointing to me. I like to be able to speak with people while gaming. Actually I think I drove people nuts playing RE5 because I would talk their legs off hah.

Anyways, I think over the course of the next few weeks I will be picking it up if I can find it. Then again I don't know how much I would be able to play it seeing I am well into my way on Red Dead and want to hit the online scene on that game when I beat the story mode and still have Dead Space and Final Fantasy XIII to tackle after I grow bored of RDR.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Blog Entries

should I buy to play? y/n. If I got it, I'll play online
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Blog Entries

@Rocky - Yes.

@Meier - Feel free to talk to us, but we'll just type back to you. I don't like using a head set (for obvious reasons), and even if I did like to use it, I don't have one anyways.

WKC has been out for almost a year now, so it won't be at full price. It's 34$ new on amazon right now. (There's a sale...) And there's a lower new price of 25 or so, and it's got a used price of about 15$.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meier, I recently just got a headset for the PS3 for Christmas. I'm more than happy to jump on it as well, even if it's just us. Typing is great to get across a message, but talking is fun too and is a little faster.

White Knight Chronicles didn't disappoint me at all. The story was borderline terrible and shot full of holes, but I thought that was pretty funny. The game was a lot of fun to play anyway, so I wasn't really bored.

Online is another story. It's still fun, but soloing takes a while but is the most efficient way of levelling. There's times when the commitment is too much, especially if you want to be good and have enough points to boost yourself at the end of four rebirths, and if you want to be able to do the higher levelled quests which require a higher Guild Rank. It's much more fun with a group of people.

But yeah. There's quite a lot to do, especially for the few of us who are going for the platinum. ;-;

Seeing as there's a few people interested, anyone think a tff guild would be a good idea? Guilds are very informal in the game itself, but it'd be cool to have a place to discuss and arrange the game with others.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Good to know there are some of us that prefer headsets. Vicky I completely understand.

Guess I will be checking Amazon and Ebay because I called all the places here in town and they are still sold out. Not sure what is going on with that but they are blaming it on the Christmas holiday.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Badass Military Agent White Knight Chronicles Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

Yeah this is one of the first games I'm gonna buy whenever I decide to buy a PS3

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DragonHeart View Post
    If they'd offered nonhuman PCs (which they should have, imo), I would have recreated Darka in an instant.
    This is in WKC2. You can bring over your single player NPCs to party with you in online quests. I don't know if it is Leonard and co, or if you can just recruit any npc you want. But yes, it is very nice. WKC2 fixes a lot of mistakes that they made in WKC.

As for a guild, yeah Entity and I were talking about it. It looks like we might actually be getting a pretty good sized group for this. I'd be up for it. And we can make a sub-forum in the club forum for our base of operations. Let me know and I've be totally up for it. And maybe the signs of it would help to draw in more on the forum that might be interested or play.

Meier, Sabin also uses a headset. So you have him to talk to as well. The amount of headsets in the game varies. But there are definitely people on the game with them. I find headsets to be poor because I have to listen even closer to what people are says because they never come through clear. And then there is no record of what they say. So if I'm off in a different room doing something and they ask me something I won't know. Text is better because there is a history, I can search it and so long as it is typed correctly you can't misunderstand what you read and ask someone to repeat themselves.

I have a keyboard and it is just as efficient as a headset. It is a must that you have a headset or keyboard. Not having either is going to be painful for yourself.

Playing online is fine if you want to do it for WKC. The majority of the interest will be there. But you'll want to clear the game, because you won't be able to unlock the areas without completing the game. Each new area you reach unlocks new quests online. You can buy them, but if you don't have the area reached then you can't play them. That is the problem Sabin is having, unless he's beaten the game. He is GR6 now, but can't do any of the GR5 or GR6 quests because they are in areas he hasn't reached yet.

The single player is pretty short and if you do a lot of online stuff you'll want to do a new game plus, because they provide new gear in the game that makes your online questing a lot easier on yourself.

Come join the fun! You can all hang out in my town! ^^

Blog Entries

would my Astro A40s headset work with in game? if so how do I change the sound channels so they would work.... help plz if anyone wants to research it for me, that'd be great!
    Last edited by Rocky; 01-20-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Blog Entries

I guess it would depend if the headset works on the PS3. If it works on the PS3 then it should work with WKC without any problems. I wouldn't see why one headset wouldn't work with WKC over another. And I think the PS3 is pretty accepting for headsets. You can go USB or wireless/blue tooth. Either will work with it as far as I know.

Sabin, Entity or Meier can probably say more about headsets since they actually make use of them on a personal level. I've only used them at work. So I don't know what does and doesn't, I just know the ones we have do and they are USB.

If you can plug it into a USB or if it is wireless bluetooth then it will work with the PS3 with out a doubt. The PS3 will sync up with anything if you go one of those two routes. Currently my headset is a blackberry wireless and it does pretty good most of the time but is in no way a gaming headset.

Over all it acomplishes what I want it to do with out problems. Give me a week or two and I will be up and running with this game. Even if I don't get to play as much as I would like to; I would love to online play with some of you.

The only person I have had the honor of playing with from TFF is Sabin on RE5, RE5 demo and lost planet II. Would love to expand my horizons with WKC. Then again I do have RDR if someone wants to join up with me on that for of online play but that is not for this topic haha.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Blog Entries

I still need to get a keyboard. XD Perhaps this weekend I'll start checking around for one, hopefully they aren't too expensive. It can be a bit of pain to type, especially in battle or while running. They need to add a /follow. >_> And macros. But that's another game.

Storywise I feel like they really overplayed it. It's fun, but you won't find much depth. There are some redeeming factors, but in the end it's all about the online component.

~DragonHeart~

Blog Entries

Just get a cheapo 10$ keyboard. That's what Andro and I did, and they work just fine for what we need them for. xD

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DragonHeart View Post
    I still need to get a keyboard. XD Perhaps this weekend I'll start checking around for one, hopefully they aren't too expensive. It can be a bit of pain to type, especially in battle or while running. They need to add a /follow. >_> And macros. But that's another game.
    There's an automatic run button. It won't help you when you're turning corners, but you'll be running and able to type at the same time.

The PS3 is simple to buy a headset for. However, before you run out and start buying bluetooth headsets, make sure they're definitely compatible with a PS3. Wired headsets are good too, but they break faster - the second a wire breaks down inside, it's all over and you're paying Ł10+ for a "decent" new one.

Also, Rocky, I hope this helps.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I use autorun a lot...running into walls is not exactly helpful, though. Plus if I'm not watching where I'm going, it's pretty easy to get turned around in certain areas. At least I don't worry much about accidentally running into a group of mobs or something. XD

I'm not sure if I want a headset or not, I'm still debating that one. Keyboard is a definite yes though.

~DragonHeart~

I am running both head set and keyboard. The keyboard is there for PSN messaging and junk like that but it does come in handy instead of trying to controller scroll through letters.

Its just a standard computer keyboard that I ripped off a early 2000 model computer, nothing fancy but it does all I need it to do.

Sabin was telling me that you can't play WKC II unless you beat part one first. I think that is kind of cool that it is limited but not sure as to why unless it is a carry on type of thing.

United, we move as one

My awards:

Blog Entries

Yes, it is a carry on type thing. And WKC2 includes 1 with it anyways. You carry over your character and items and level and all that into the second one.

Blog Entries

Ok so it looks like my headset will be able to work, thanks entity <3

So in order for me to have everything unlocked, it would be wise for me to beat the offline story mode first? about how many hours is that?

Also, how keyboard dependent is this game exactly? would it be wise for me to pick one up even if I have a headset?

questions from the curious

Blog Entries

I'll repeat this here for those who aren't named Rocky. (Since I said this to him on MSN.)

1. Story is 25'ish hours or so. It is highly recommended to make Leonardo and Yulie into archers for a quicker run.

2. You only need a keyboard for chatting purposes. Andro already touched on this; while talking is fine, keyboards are best because of the chat logs and being able to look back into them after you come back from AFK, where you can't do that when someone just talks to you through a headset.

Blog Entries

Yeah, as Shadow said, WKC2 ships with WKC1 packaged with it. So you wouldn't have to worry about being unable to play a game that you just bought. But it does still mean you would need to beat the first game unless you owned it already.

And DH I just got a cheap 10 dollar keyboard from Best Buy in the gaming section. I think they labeled it as a keyboard meant to be used for consoles, since it has a turbo button on it. But any USB keyboard will work.

Rocky, the game isn't really dependent on a keyboard if you have a headset. Sabin has been getting along fine with just the headset. If you have one or the other you will be fine. You don't need the keyboard to do anything in game apart from sending messages in game. Everything else is done through the controller and even typing can be as well with the PS3 on screen keyboard, but that is really slow.

And yeah, the single player is pretty short about 20-25 hours. If you end up doing what Sabin did. You can join us on some early quests overlevel yourself and then you can just power through it. Though you would be lacking the weapons and armor since those are tied to locations. But you'd have additional skills and stats you would otherwise be unable to have. You can talk to Sabin to see how much easier the game was for him. I know he said he wasn't have much trouble and overall beating the game is very easy. So long as you level properly and equip properly. Or else you'll run into the problem that Shadow did in Bunker Lode.

But I wouldn't say that it is necessary you beat the game immediately. You can still enjoy parts of the online community without completing the game. As I said the quests are unlocked by areas. And the deeper you go the higher GR you would need to be. Though you can tag along with us in any tier 1 quest so long as you have the area, GR doesn't lock you out until you reach GR7. Then you have to meet the GR requirements for the quest. So you can play a little single player and online at the same time.

It does certainly benefit you playing the game to completion though.

Blog Entries

Hmm, now that I think of it I might actually have one kicking around somewhere. Got pieces from 3 different computers spread around the house. If not I'll be buying one tomorrow anyways so no big deal. I'm just tired of taking too long to type anything haha.

As far as questing vs. story, I'd say do whatever strikes your fancy, but once you get up to GR7-8 you will want to finish the story and do at least one NG+ run, since doing that will net you better armor and weapons. The weapons are particularly important since you'll end up enhancing them a lot to make your next tier weapons.

~DragonHeart~

Blog Entries

Gotcha, I was reading through articles that explained it was closer to Phantasy Star Universe (a game I liked) and FFXI in terms of gameplay, and I didn't know if that meant having a keyboard would be nice for typing commands and stuff.

Well I get paid next friday so I might have to make a trip to pick it up since I only really own SOCOM and Disgaea 3 for my PStriple, and neither of those get much playtime anyways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast