Thread: What have you learned from playing video games?

Registered User What have you learned from playing video games?

What have you learned from playing video games?

Here's a thread dedicated to showcasing anything you've learned from playing games. Doesn't have to be serious, but if you did actually learn something from playing games, share that too.

Silent Hill taught me that 99% of all door locks will be broken and unable to open.

Final Fantasy IV taught me that Bards suck and that's why they don't exist anymore.

Ocarina of Time taught me that no matter how high you fall, just forward roll when you hit the ground and you won't get hurt. ^^

Bioshock taught me that gathering the world's best and brightest to live in an underwater utopia free of moral and ethical constraints is probably a bad idea.....also that just living underwater is a bad idea, period.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Boxer of the Galaxy What have you learned from playing video games? Rowan's Avatar

Re: What have you learned from playing video games?

Final fantasy taught me to read very well.
    It also taught me that it's possible to survive impact from a supernova

Queen What have you learned from playing video games? Crescent's Avatar

Final Fantasy VII taught me a deeper understanding of life. It also changed mine. That mere "videogame" is my constant muse and source of happiness.

Videogames particularly Final Fantasy(VII) taught me the power of music and the way through such a looked-down upon medium can manage to bring forth a flood of emotions, thoughts and memories that you were not aware of or at least conscious of.

If you find the right videogame it can catch you offguard and change your perspective on life or at least some aspects(as with any form of art).

Anyone who says that videogames arent a form of art is asking for my foot up their ass

also..the complex characters that are Sephiroth, Cloud Strife and Vincent Valentine have formed my ideal male mould. The fact that they're not real is part of their appeal hahaha

Elementalist What have you learned from playing video games? IcyJJ's Avatar

A well placed bullet can take down anyone. ~ Fallout

Don't make fun of anyone, because you do not know who they will turn into in the future. They may become a person who will try to kill you later or hopefully, a very attractive lady. ~ Final Fantasy
    Chill the body, freeze the soul. ~ Maya, Legaia 2

Memento Rhapso What have you learned from playing video games? Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post

Final Fantasy IV taught me that Bards Are the best characters ever made and are invaluable to every party in every game ever
    Corrected that for ya, Dodie. (I was my D&D group's Bard. I like the class a lot haha)

Anywho, I learned various weapon names, made connections to old tales (Odin, Gilgamesh, the smith of Masamune, etc.)

I also learned at least ten different ways to be a dweeb and still get girls to like you.

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Crash Boom Bang What have you learned from playing video games? Lily's Avatar

FF taught me it's ok to wander into other peoples homes and steal their shit

Blog Entries

Morrowind taught me that if you kill someone when no one else is around, no one will know that you did it or suspect you of anything. Oblivion taught me that if you kill someone, no matter where you are, the police will somehow already know it was you and come to arrest you immediately. Skyrim taught me that if you put something over someone's head, they won't know when you're stealing something from them. Also that once again, if you kill someone while no one else is around, no one will know that you did it or suspect you of anything. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Certified tech, come at me! What have you learned from playing video games? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mega Man X taught me (and continues to remind me) how awesome my childhood was.

Secret of Mana taught me how beautiful nature can be and how lovely game music is.

Super Star Wars trilogy taught me that some games based off movies can be developed right (imo).

Maniac Mansion taught me how creative & funny games are.

EarthBound taught me important life lessons and the reality of growing up.

Mario taught me each game in the series can be fun as long as nintendo and ONLY nintendo develops the game.

Sonic taught me to run fast? *shrugs*

Final Fantasy taught me big words and storylines and that level grinding is gooood.

Chrono Trigger taught me square can make other great games.

Ys taught me that Red-haired swordsmen protagonists make awesome adventurers.

Bomberman taught me that committing random acts of terrorism is fun in videogames.

(Last one, I promise) Zelda taught me the greatness of exploring dungeons, solving puzzles, discovering tools to use, and how fun boss battles are.
    Currently Playing:

Street fighter taught me that as long as I keep backing up in a fight I will auto block any incoming attacks as long as they are above my waist!
    EBG

Memento RK What have you learned from playing video games? Yoko's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Video Games taught me a lot. I honestly think that having played the videogames that I had made me the person that I am today. There are many other factors of course, but video games were probably a pillar.

One thing was patience. Loading screens were a bitch to wait for sometimes, but if you wait for them, you will be rewarded. I learned how to just sit there and wait for em.

I learned how to form strategies. Beating some of those FF bosses in FFVIII were tough. Especially under a time limit sometimes. It taught me how to think of my toes and plan the best course of action. FFX was another tough one sometimes. Especially at the age I has started it at.

Super Mario was just fun, but it taught me what was right in some cases. And that is you put your mind to it, you can beat anything. If a guy with a mustache can do it, so can you.

Claymates was probably my first video game that I remember. That taught me how to stand up for myself and stand my ground. Not to say that the others didn't either. But learning those fundamentals at a young age probably helped.

All of the FF titles that I had played taught me to stand for what I believe in. No matter what kind of odds are against you. This lesson itself had gotten me through college thus far. Thank You Final Fantasy XD

There are probably more things that I had learned from video games....like love and relationships (FFIX Not that Zidane is the model guy, but he helps people out because it's the right thing to do, FFX ----why NOT to marry a person).

Yeeeeah, I could go on for a while.
    [CENTER]
    The one and ONLY Female member of CPC8 Makin' it HAPPEN!

Things!!:

Sneaky Member of EVIL BAD GUYS

MSN RANDOMS:
    Brett Litz says (5:50 PM)
    (my first letter of my first name key is ****ed up, so i can't type that)
    vrett
    -_-
    ve yourself
    is what i said
    not "do you"
    ugh

Best RP:Final Fantasy Chronicles of Exigo~The Fall of Spira
    Check it out. The Fall of Spira is finished!

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み What have you learned from playing video games? ZantetsukeN's Avatar

From most RPGs, I have learned that you could buy a shop's entire stock, and they will somehow still be in business. I have learned that waltzing in to someone's house and stealing all of their shit is ok.

From the Mass Effect series, I have learned that if reporters piss you off, it is fully acceptable to punch her in the face. Also, apparently, racism is ok between different species.

Finally, from Skyrim, killing chickens will start riots.

is not a douche What have you learned from playing video games? Bubble Boy's Avatar

Video games really enabled me to read faster. I can read at lightning speed without losing comprehension..all that button jabbing for the subtitles I guess, you know, the FFs have a lot of reading blocks after all.

Scourge of Esthar What have you learned from playing video games? CrazedMonkey's Avatar

A lot, surprisingly. Quite a few of the games I've played had little hidden trivia facts that I didn't know before. They've also helped me to expand my imagination to places I probably wouldn't have thought of before.
    You'll have your reward for finding me, and don't think of running off without collecting. My shot is faster, or my names not Balthier.

TFF's Resident Messenger What have you learned from playing video games? Michael Swayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What have I learned? You mean other than a bigger vocabulary, hand-eye coordination skills, and that a series of flashing light patterns may induce epileptic seizures sometimes where there were no previous incidents in a person's medical history?

Well, you can do a lot more with a team than you could by yourself. An axe or hammer can deal random damage (it all depends on how you swing it). And all the other stuff mentioned above. Oh, and that phoenix downs don't always work.
    Social Group Endorsements, TFF Awards, and Other Accomplishments (Updated December 26, 2013):

2011 TFF Member Elimination Game - 2nd Place

TFF Adoption Agency
    Hot Shot - August 31, 2011 to November 18, 2011
    Draug Isilme - December 29, 2011 to February 27, 2012
    lovehearty42 - August 9, 2012 to November 4, 2012
    beatrix - September 4, 2012 to November 4, 2012

Communist Theocratic Commonwealth of the Illustrious and Eternal Al-ha Empire and Crown Dependencies

Registered User What have you learned from playing video games? + Revenant +'s Avatar
    Six feet under...and dragging you down with me

Dragon Warrior taught me that there was a whole class of games out there called RPGs. And the first Final Fantasy taught me that I'm not very good at most of the old ones.

Final Fantasy VII taught me that RPGs can be cool, boobs are awesome, and a bad guy can make absolutely no sense as a character and still be threatening.

Final Fantasy VIII taught me that there can be a game that's seemingly right up my alley, well-made and brilliant in every respect, and that I can still have no use for it at all.

Final Fantasy IX taught me what it was like to love a video game unabashedly.

Xenosaga I taught me that games can not only make a profound statement, but be a legitimate visual and musical art form.

Dreamcast and the death of Sega taught me that the video game scene as a whole was changing, and in many ways not for the better.

Chief Inspiring Officer What have you learned from playing video games? Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I learned that when I fear my system being shut off from outside influences "Oh, no! the lights are flickering, that means the power might go out!" NEVER RUSH TO SAVE IT. Corrupted data.
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

Blog Entries

Never attack chickens.

Trains are haunted or controlled by the enemy. Stay sharp.

A cardboard box will get you anywhere.

On a more serious note, gaming increased my vocabulary and reading comprehension, taught me a lot about mythology and storytelling, a little bit about a dead language and got me interested in all kinds of things that I now consider defining points about myself.
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn