Thread: Tactics style?

Boss Jr.

Tactics style?

I've always loved the FF Tactics games and I was thinking how awesome other series might be if this style where applied.

Keeping RPG's in mind the Pokémon games could use a much needed overhaul and getting it in the form of a FFT esque fashion might be just what the series needs. I personally think that'd be awesome!

Anyway, agree? disagree? Got one of your own?

Re: Tactics style?

You mean tactical/strategy RPGs...?

Until now!

Boss Jr.

Yes! Exactly!

I was mearly using FFT as a familiar example.

That said I think there are alot of series that could use a Tactics version. Like....... Lord of the Rings.

I played The 3rd Age a while back..... easily one of the most addictive games I've ever played! Would be really cool with a Tactics setup.

Until now!

Blog Entries

Speaking of terrible Strategy RPGs, this one just dropped by the other day. =|
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Boss Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Oh wow, I've never heard of that game..... did they really botch such an awesome idea?

The suggestion of making a bad LotR Tactics game makes my GBA cry :'( !

Blog Entries

Jin, your posts are really close to being the short post definition of spam in the TFF Rules there. Let's try to add a little more content to your posts. Also, Rocky, I think you're confused; the OP is asking us for ideas of new strategy rpg games, not strategy rpg games that have already been released! So let's try and come up with ideas for new strategy rpg's, okay? Or, if you don't think any new ones are a good idea, you could say so and explain why. I can't really think of any, myself, right now, although that Pokemon Tactics idea sounds interesting. Given that you're training your Pokemon in other games, you could train a group of Pokemon that act as a team. I could see a lot of strategies come of that. Or how about a Mushroom Kingdom strategy game? Mario has had various allies over the years that could form a squad to fight against Bowser's forces. Or whoever. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Jr.
    The suggestion of making a bad LotR Tactics game makes my GBA cry :'( !
    I think it's a PSP game, so your GBA will be laughing instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Speaking of terrible Strategy RPGs, this one just dropped by the other day. =|
    I just died a little inside. But I could see it working...

I think the Pokemon idea is good. As much as I enjoy level grinding one Pokemon at a time [/sarcasm], being able to level grind a team would make it better. However, I have this tiny inkling that something about it wouldn't feel right. I dunno...

I can't think of many games that could work with it though; it's quite tricky to determine whether it would make a successful game or not. Thinking about it, Onimusha Tactics could work because I like the whole idea of Nobunaga's army Vs the good guys on a tactics map... thing... instead of the sometimes wonderful 3D graphics, and fighting what appears to be a never ending horde of Oda soldiers with the same button. >>;

Don't kill me, but I think an Elder Scrolls Tactics game might work, but it'll lack a plot. You know... you being the Emperor with the guards on your side Vs the the spawn of Mehrunes Dagon in the form of a tactics game. And it'll be a side story so it doesn't kill the main story! Well, it'll never happen, so...

I suck at this.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Boss Jr.

It is hard to think of games that would benefit from a Tactics style redux, but a Dragon Warrior game like this would be cool. I liked the Dragon Warrion Monster games. You could start the game out fighting a group of low level Slimes and somehow recruit the lot of them onto your team. In this way and in the tradition of DWM games you could also trade monsters out for stronger monsters anytime. It'd be a neat twist I think.

I'm starting to see how something like this would only really effectively apply to games that already have RPG elements, though a LoZ game would also be neat. Again your character could be assisted by Monsters or Wildlife..... after all, Link has always had a strong connection to Nature. Though having a team consisting of Link, a Deku Scrub, a Goron, a Zora, a Sheikah and a Hylian would be pretty cool too . They fill all of the appropriate rolls.

Registered User Tactics style? Xtrmn8r_V.13.7.3's Avatar
    In a dark room to prevent glare, Auckland, New Zealnad

I quite like the tactics series, i always play really far and forget to save untill i'm dead, but that sounds quite good.
    I would like to see a colaboration between Square Enix and Game Freak to make something like KH, but with pokemon. . .That would be so PWNAGE!
    (I don't mean pokemons weilding keyblades, i just meant an ARP style Pokemon =) )

When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of
    Power, the world will know peace.
    ~Jimmy Hendrix~

Thanks to Kilala for my Avataar and Signature

yes, a few games would benefit from being made with a Tactics-like system. However, a few already have done it. the ones mentioned, but Suikoden also has a game using this system. It's pretty fun