Thread: Story or Gameplay

Juppiter Adept Story or Gameplay TheNiteAngel's Avatar

Story or Gameplay

So, I've assumed that most people here are fairly attracted to games with involved stories due to the basis on Final Fantasy, but reading other threads, I know FF isn't the only series that ya'll are into. So here's the question, Story or Gameplay? Can you play a game with an engaging story if you aren't really thrilled with the gameplay? How about reversed - Can you play a game with a terrible, predictable, non-complex story if you enjoy the gameplay immensely?

For me, story is key! If I don't enjoy the story or feel some sort of connection to it, I find it hard to continue. Gameplay only takes me so far, but I will play a game to get the story at least once even if I don't particularly love the gameplay.
    Own: Origins (I&II), III (DS), Chronicles (IV), Anthology (V&VI), VII, 7-DoC, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, Tactics, TA

Looking to Buy: TA2, and XII-RW

Haven't played: XIII, 7-CC, XIIRW, TA2

Complete: I, II, III, IV, VII, VIII, X, MQ

-I am something of a perfectionist in that I don't consider a run through to the end a complete game. I have to complete everything possible.

Favorite non-FF RPG: Legend of Dragoon (Total Complete 8 times)

Current Goal: Bit of a break from Final Fantasy and into Kingdom Hearts. I've beaten Kh, Re:CoM, and I'm halfway through both KH2 and Days

Passing fair judgement Story or Gameplay Judge Magistrate's Avatar

Re: Story or Gameplay

I like a good backstory, that isn't to say that I don't play games with a horrible story. Some games I like the action and battles in it even thought it's for a stupid reason. I have to say in general I don't play a game unless it has a good story though.
    None shall escape judgement, all shall fall by my blade.

My TFF family
    EveVanilla
    Firefly-The Greatest Little Sister Ever
    Ruin-My bro working in the military
    Nickness89-My brother from another mother
    angelmarie190515-My mentor and greatest older sister
    A Hero without a Name- My brother in arms
    Raven Zecht-Herald of what is to come
    LadyWinchester-The mistress of light and dark

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

The Old Skool Warrior Story or Gameplay LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Certainly the story in FFIII was not its strong point, but the introduction of the job system made up for it. I think after FFI and FFII had a similar story, it was tough to pull off another game with a simplistic storyline, and that's why they continued to change up gameplay mechanics to keep it fresh.

The same could be said for FFX-2. Awful story, but great mechanics that made it playable.

For the most part, I do prefer a story that gets me hooked and playing, but can tolerate the lack of an amazing story in exchange for gameplay that can keep me wanting to improve.

Outside of Final Fantasy, look at games like GodHand... awful game, terrible story, AMAZING gameplay which makes it worthwhile.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Registered User Story or Gameplay

I can deal with either one really, though I would probably be more forgiving of a game with good gameplay and a bad story over a game with the other way around. If I just wanted a nice story I would go watch a movie or read a book. I enjoy games because I get to play them.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Story or Gameplay ZantetsukeN's Avatar

I am a sucker for a great story in a game, and good gameplay, so I would take anything with either or both of these factors. I would take the story over Gameplay though.

That being said, I do play games with poor story, but good gameplay. One example that springs to mind is Duke Nukem Forever, in which the story is very, very poor, but the gameplay is great fun.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Story or Gameplay Xanatos's Avatar

Both are essential for great gaming experience, and while not really the case for every genre I'll take story over gameplay anyday. There were some games in which one element was far superior to other, Final Fantasy V for instance where gameplay kept me playing til the very end.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Memento RK Story or Gameplay Yoko's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It really depends. If I fall in love with the story, but not the gameplay, I probably won't play it too often. If I fall in love with the gameplay more then the story, it seems to have the same effect on me. If they're both great, then I'll play it for hours. I have to admit, I loved the story and gameplay in FFXII, but I HATED Vaan.

I'm not entirely in love with FFXIII at the moment. The storyline could have been a bit stronger. It seems like there's something lacking. ANND, I'm stuck in Fang and Vanille's hometown
    [CENTER]
    The one and ONLY Female member of CPC8 Makin' it HAPPEN!

Things!!:

Sneaky Member of EVIL BAD GUYS

MSN RANDOMS:
    Brett Litz says (5:50 PM)
    (my first letter of my first name key is ****ed up, so i can't type that)
    vrett
    -_-
    ve yourself
    is what i said
    not "do you"
    ugh

Best RP:Final Fantasy Chronicles of Exigo~The Fall of Spira
    Check it out. The Fall of Spira is finished!

All is One.One is All. Story or Gameplay Firefly's Avatar

I always liked having a good story rather than good or bad gameplay.But gmaeplay is important,just not rly to me.A good story makes me want to keep playing until the very end.Gameplay..not so much...,guess im weird or something
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My TFF Family:
    * My Awesome Older Brother, Judge Magistrate :]
    * Illusion :]
    * Cait Sith :]
    * My Sweet,Caring,Older Sister angelmarie190515 :]
    * My FF Twin, nickness89 :]
    * My Favorite Australian Cousin, NikkiLinkle :]
    * My Long Lost Cousin, Hero without a Name :]

***98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I guess none of the Mario games have amazing stories to them, but I love those games... same with Pokemon, Mega Man, Metroid, etc. I do love a game with good gameplay. And while games like the Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Warcraft have somewhat interesting stories, I suually play them for the gameplay.

So, I guess gameplay has more to do with it for me than story, as well. Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It has to be an even balance of both for me. I love good stories in my video games, but I can easily be put off by bad gameplay or vice versa.

Complicated RPG types are an example, I think. I'm not very good with "classes" or assigning attributes to my characters because I want them to be everything, and in turn that makes them a really poor everything. If it's easy to set up a good character, and there's not some stupidly complicated points/weapons/skills thing, then I can get around that with a good story. The story will make me concentrate on building a good character to progress in the story. Final Fantasy VIII is a huge example here.

On the other hand, and I'll use White Knight Chronicles as an example, I find the class/attribute system to be really simple, but the story is borderline terrible. If anything, I enjoy building characters in it and trying out new ways of doing things (not really any more... if I rebirth one more time, I'll snap the disc in half). I guess it's the same with games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Story sucks, but I enjoy the character development and seeing how that effects the gameplay.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

I'm like a sexy female Darth Vader Story or Gameplay motscroises's Avatar

If a game has good gameplay, I'll play it as long as it takes for me to get through the more challenging parts of the game, but if the story stinks I never finish it. I the game play sucks I'll just make someone else play it so I can watch.

Registered User Story or Gameplay Oneesan's Avatar

A great story is essential for me. I can suffer through endless hours of god awful gameplay just to see a great story through to the end, but it NEVER works the other way around for me.

Badass Military Agent Story or Gameplay Linus Li Lelouch's Avatar

Through my experience with games, I feel confident to say that storyline is key to any type of game I play. However, I need to like the characters before I can like the storyline. So I guess for me, this would say Characters or Gameplay.

This is rather tricky, but a majority of the time, it has always been characters over anything else. Although, there are certain games that like to stretch this theory. Let's consider Disgaea Hour of Darkness for a moment. Laharl is awesome, love the laugh and everything. Now add Flonne into that pot of gold, and everything just turns sour.

The gameplay is still awesome (I still play it), Laharl is still my favorite character ever, but playing past chapter 3 just kills me. When I think about it, while playing Afternoon of Darkness, I realized that just because I didn't want to experience the horrible story that emerges after chapter 3, I played the game for over 130 hours without having to beat it once.

Now let's consider another game "Star Ocean: The Last Hope" Awesome gameplay, good storyline, but horrible characters. I barely remember anything about the game itself, since I just wanted to know what happen at the end before I buried it in my closet.

Another game is Resonance of Fate, love the gameplay, storyline, but hate 2 of the 3 characters. In other words.... I never played the game again once I beat it. Guess I set my expectations too high.

I became real picky at playing games as soon as I got older, kinda wish I was still a kid because back then, well I enjoyed all the games I play. Now I only enjoy some of them.
    Last edited by Linus Li Lelouch; 07-07-2011 at 11:14 AM.

~The will to not want anything in exchange for nothing~ *Your's truly Linus*

-98% of all teens have tried smoking pot and drinking. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy this and put it in your signature.

I prefer a good storyline but if I enjoy the gameplay then I'm not completely fussed on the storyline. It's a game, I play to complete regardless of storyline, because it's a game. If I was really fussed on a good storyline I'd watch a movie.

Although it's usually RPG's with the better storylines, they have a much longer playability than most games and I guess you'd have to put up with a crap storyline for the majority of the game...

So I'd say, yes it's important for a good mixture for RPG's but for action/adventure games (my favourite genre besides RPG's) I think the gameplay is the most important aspect.

Rune Knight Story or Gameplay Trodorne's Avatar

Game play is important. I can understand that people lose track of the story when it comes to gameplay. But in regards to lets use XIII as an example where im being force fed the story while running down a hallway is not what I like to call a game. its called an interactive movie.

Replayability, Gameplay, and just customization is great for me. Yeah an overall story is great even some work on lore would be fantastic. Something that makes the character my own and not something that someone wants me to be.

Im not like many people in this world who needs a character driven tear jerker type of story with over the top dialogue and annoying voice acting.

Registered User Story or Gameplay

I consider this:

A game with all story but no gameplay is most likely unplayable.

A game with all gameplay but story is bad is still playable.

That being said, I think any great game must have a gameplay that is enjoyable at the least. It doesn't have to be the best. I'd say anything 6 or better on scale 1-10 is good with a storyline higher than that can be considered a very good game.

Games I think are really good storyline and gameplay

Legend of Dragoon
    Final Fantasy 9

Storyline not as strong as above games but still good but make up with excellent gameplay

Final Fantasy 6
    Final Fantasy 4

There are others that belong with both of these groups, but these are the easiest examples I could see.

Fluffles

I can do both, pending on the style of game.

For RPG's, I prefer having a good, engaging story than the best gameplay-system ever created. I treat a lot of RPG's like interactive movies, really, which is generally why I don't mind a poor gameplay system. (It's also why I figure I have absolutely no issues with FFXIII when tons of others absolutely abhor the gameplay system).

For FPS titles, or 3PS titles, I don't care about the story. I rarely even play the campaign in these games anyway, and just jump into the multiplayer. COD, which I used to play, was enjoyable for the online interaction and not their horrific storylines. Homefront, for instance, has a great gameplay system (IMO) with incredible balance and a better than average story for a FPS title, but the story doesn't hold much of a candle to many other titles. (Like... just about any FF title, for example) but I find it enjoyable regardless.

Blog Entries

It can be the best story ever told but if the gameplay is frustrating, cheap, stupid hard, boring or repetitive it doesn't matter, as the game is unplayable. If the story is great and the gameplay mediocre (but playable), I will generally still play it.

If both are average, I'll probably lose interest halfway through and forget about it.

If the gameplay is great but the story is not, I will only play it if has something redeemable, such as a character or two or, as in White Knight Chronicles, decent online play.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Depends on the game. Final Fantasy is definitely story, because, truth be told, the battle systems in most FF games are too slow for my tastes.

There have been games with bad stories and game play that I have found too good to leave just because of the bad story. Case in point: The Last Remnant; terrible characters, bad story over all imo, but the battle system got me and I played to the end.

The best game I've played in terms of story and game play has to be God of War, specifically GoW2 (my fav). Epic story and great game play.

Generally, it's the story I prefer. But once in a while, I come across a game where it's the opposite. One example being Final Fantasy XII. The story was far from great, but the gameplay was just so fun, I still go back to that game. Matter of fact, I'll be starting another playthrough here after I finish FFIX. And for the first time, I'll be playing it on a big screen modern TV. Can't wait! Unfortunately, FFXIII also had a bad story (my opinion) and the gameplay just wasn't enough to bring me back. I actually didn't even completely finish it when I bought it. My brother has it now.

But yeah, like I said, most of the time it's story, but there's the occasional exception.

Jinx

story is key but it needs to be somewhat of good gameplay

If i was forced to pick, i would probably choose story over gameplay. Nothing appeals to me more than a deep, emotional plot

Although i would secretly hope the gameplay wasn't that bad
    Spoiler:
    My TFF Family:

My TFF girlfriend who hearts root beer - Chocobo_Lover 17
    My brother of honourable justice - Judge Magistrate
    My Canadian sister who travels the skies- R.Kyra
    My nameless brother of legend - Hero without a Name
    My brother, the Gunblade master - Lion Heart
    My supernatural sister of mysterious intrigue - belleZ