Thread: South Park: The Stick of Truth

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth South Park: The Stick of Truth Xanatos's Avatar

South Park: The Stick of Truth

The Stick of Truth is a blast to play. It's genuinely funny, granted you are familiar with South Park humor and not easily offended. It feels every bit like the TV Show we all know and love, mostly thanks to its excelent voice acting and design, and that by the way is by far its strongest point, something licensed games often tend to miss.

I managed to make a character that actually resembles me, however, everyone is making fun of my hair, I guess I should do something about it both in real life and the game I'm still getting used to the battle system, blocking can be awkward to say the least. I spent most of my time just roaming around South Park (found almost all of Timmies flags), and let me tell you, there's ton to do and discover. I barely scratched the surface.

EDIT: One of few games where I actually used my real name. I'm lvl 3 warrior right now with the douchebag title still being there. I'm experiencing some audio issues though nothing severe.

Anyone playing South Park: The Stick of Truth right now?
    Last edited by Xanatos; 03-12-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Registered User South Park: The Stick of Truth White Mage's Avatar
    I was going to get it but it's censored in New Zealand, so I'm deliberately not getting the game because of that. Consider it a boycott.

Boxer of the Galaxy South Park: The Stick of Truth Rowan's Avatar
    If I was going to get it, I would import the uncencored version from USA. How good is the game though? I heard its funny but is the gameplay strong? In particular, how good is the RPG element?

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth South Park: The Stick of Truth Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    If I was going to get it, I would import the uncencored version from USA. How good is the game though? I heard its funny but is the gameplay strong? In particular, how good is the RPG element?
    Honestly, it's not Obsidian's finest work. Battles are engaging, fun, but there's not much to it to be honest. You can only control total of two characters at once which is a bummer seeing as it's a turn based RPG. There is however huge array of equipment, weapons and some other options to customize your character, although most of it requires you to be on certain level to be equiped. Both weapons and equipment can be additionally enhanced/improved. Abilities can be improved as well, and there are additional perks to be unlocked. I'm not sure if these are diferent for each class. There are four classes for you to choose from. In other words core RPG elements are not as shallow as some reviewers mention, then again not that deep either.

However, The Stick of Truth as a whole is as I already mentioned blast to play. It exceeded my expectations on so many levels. It's not nearly restrictive as I thought it would be giving you huge area to explore and lot to do right from the bat. It's charming, funny, most importantly it feels like the TV Show so I would say it's a pretty good game. You should definitely give it a go.

I apologize for the double post, just wanted to update my playthrough status.

My character is Lvl 12 with over 70 friends so far, so I would say I'm somewhat far in the game. I found myself rarely using abilities aside from Butters's Professor Chaos, items however are immensely useful during the battle. I stick mostly with Butters, he's all around well developed, both great supportive and offensive character and Professor Chaos is simply awesome.

I suggest playing this game on the highest difficulty, aside from Al Gore and his ManBearPig it's been fairly easy so far.

You will accumulate, continue to do so, huge amount of money rather fast, what bothers me though is there's nothing to spend it on. You do buy some weapons, equipment and items here and there, though not nearly often enough, this goes mostly for items as you find yourself having max amount of supportive items ever so often.

I know it's a game based on a TV show so this should come naturally, still, the amount of references and allusions is insane to say the lest.

Bananarama South Park: The Stick of Truth Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I beat it about an hour ago.

I would recommending buying the full, uncensored version because it is spectacular. It's far more irreverent than the show ever could have hoped to be, and yet it's not over the top... Well, for South Park. The visuals and voice acting are top notch and it truly feels like you're playing an episode, which was the major sticking point for me. It also helps that the gameplay mechanics feel like they were designed by people who understand video games, especially RPGs.

The battle system is turn based, and relatively simple, but it relies more on the customization of your character and the different effects that you can attach to your own weapons and armor, as well as knowing when to use ranged attacks vs melee. It's surprisingly deep for what you'd expect from a TV show based game.

Plus it also has a lot of the old 2d final fantasy exploration and hidden goodies for those willing to put the work in and explore everything.

And Xanatos, don't worry about hoarding money. You'll need it later, especially if you're trying to collect both all the weapons and outfits. I had plenty of money, and towards the end, I had some great and hilarious weapons, but I'm also a completionist nerd, and will probably drum up ways to get extra money to buy everything.

Long story short, the game is awesome, and I highly recommend it.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

I've kept all of the equipment and weapons I found so far, I only ever sold junk, you're right though, I'll need quite a few bob to buy every piece of equipment and every weapon available.

I'm done with the Canada part, pretty great throwback to 8/16 bit era if I may say so. The level cap came bit early if you ask me.

My character has 86 friends on facebook, I've collected 26/30 chinpokomon, and 53 pieces of equipment. For the life of me I can't seem to find the last two kindergartens, other than that I've solved every sidequest so far, the ones I triggered that is which I believe are all of them at this point.

Blog Entries
    It looks fun but I don't really wanna drop $60 on a 12ish hour game. I'll wait for it to go on sale via steam.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

Boxer of the Galaxy South Park: The Stick of Truth Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    It looks fun but I don't really wanna drop $60 on a 12ish hour game. I'll wait for it to go on sale via steam.
    really only 12 hours? The way you are all talking this up, I really want to play it now. But as Rocky says, not paying $60 for a 12 hour game.

Bananarama South Park: The Stick of Truth Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It took me far longer than that to beat the game. I wouldn't call it an epic by any means, but with all the running around and getting missions accomplished, I'd say I put in a solid 20+ hours. I think the people who are claiming it's only 12 hours only played the game for the main story and ignored all of the side quests.

I also like the replay value if your an achievement whore, because some of them are only obtainable with certain classes or character looks.
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers