Thread: Sell? Trade? Keep?

Registered User Sell? Trade? Keep?

Sell? Trade? Keep?

So what do you do with your old games (or any game, I guess) once you've decided not to keep them in your collection? Do you sell it off, trade it in, or just keep it anyway?

I've sold maybe one or two in stuff like yard sales, but most often I just hit up my local Game Exchange and just trade it in for in-store credit, and then pray that I find something I can use the credit for. I've tried getting just cash for my trade-ins, but then realize that I'm more than likely going to spend that money on games anyway.

So what about you all?
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

I want to play a game. Sell? Trade? Keep? Zargabaath's Avatar

Re: Sell? Trade? Keep?

I did trade in Legaia 2: Duel Saga and Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land along time ago and that is all I have ever done. I don't get sell or trade any of my games now. I collect/keep which allows me to replay them whenever I get the urge. I don't like trading in, especially toward Gamestop since they had a horrible trade-in value) because the store credit isn't worth losing the game and not being able to replay if I want.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

I tend to be a collector and have only ever traded in a very few select games. I don't like that I traded them in but all in all they were not that good of games and I got almost 100 bucks off of Rockband. The only titles that I am pissed off about are GTAIV and Heavenly Sword, those 2 were alright.

So yeah to make a really short post, I keep them.
    Soldier: "We suck but we're better then you"

We will fight, we will be strong
    Together we're marching on
    United, we move as one
    Our finest hour has just begun
    Philmore - Our Finest Hour

Crao Porr Cock8! Need I say more!?
    My awards:

Sharing is caring, and caring is ment to be shared Sell? Trade? Keep? The Dark Crystal's Avatar

I usually take in my games for store credit, or trade them in for other games after completing them. Unless it's a game I really enjoyed, or it has good multi player/replay value, I will keep it (FF, GoW, CoD, Halo,TES III & IV,)

I have also gotten cash for some of my games, but I always wind up regretting it because they give you less of a percentage of what it's worth if you take cash rather then store credit. And what do I go buy with that cash, MORE GAMES
    THE GREAT CONJUNCTION IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Or the beginning. Hm! -Aughra

gaming service ID:

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never traded a game in. You never get anything more than small change for a game anyway. Fallout 3, which was not only a gift but cost £40, can be traded in for £5 if I'm lucky. Then it'll be put back on the shelf for £15/£20. F*** off. I'd rather the store didn't make a profit on my old pre-owned games and lock it away somewhere, only to find it a few months or years down the line ready for me to play again.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

The Old Skool Warrior Sell? Trade? Keep? LocoColt04's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Profit margins for retailers on new items (when it comes to game-related electronics) are very small. The profit for resale shops has to come from somewhere, else they'd go out of business...

In any case, there are a handful of games I've traded in, usually just stuff I know I'll never touch again. I go out of my way to make sure I keep every last RPG, even if it's a bad one. Collector's habits, I suppose.
    Community Manager; Forum Administrator

reppin' SOLDIER since 2004CPC8 class of 2009
    Random;:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009 TFF Awards nominations
    Best TFF Couple
    Martin and Priscilla
    Psiko and Hyzenthlay
    Rocky and LocoColt04 and Meier Link and Pete
    Unknown Entity and Mistress Sheena
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    I thought I was going to be able to play with Loco and then I remembered he doesn't game. He just turns on the game for an hour and then forgets about it for two months only to remember that he bought it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Che's not a girl. Not good enough explanation. Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by che View Post
    Yes I am. I will bust out my vagina right now.

Registered User Sell? Trade? Keep? BigWill's Avatar

I used to be a frequent buyer at the local Game Crazy. Well until it closed down. I traded in a lot of my old games I didn't care for and bought a lot of used games. When they closed out I bought a lot of used games though... a lot of used games.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Sell? Trade? Keep? Xanatos's Avatar

Not to keep them? I accumulated many games over the years, I won't lie there are many crappy ones (apparently I didn't have the best taste when I was a kid), would I sell any of them? No way. I like collecting stuff, especially games, I guess I'm just like my hamster, he likes to collect nuts and I games, the only time I traded one of my games is when my friend begged me to do it, he did a great job in persuading me.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Let's make it rain. Sell? Trade? Keep? Jonathanx221's Avatar

I've been trading in games for ten years, at least once a week. I've had so many games it's not even funny. But now with my job, I don't trade anymore, I buy. Because if you pay with cash my place (video trader) gives you GREAAAAT deals.

A Plain Old Derp Sell? Trade? Keep? Padraic's Avatar

I'm a pack rat and refuse to give something away, unless it has no value to me what soever, or is a piece of crap. Like I traded in this game called Musashi or somthing like that... It was a PS2 game about a samurai with really weird hair...

Registered User Sell? Trade? Keep? kupo's Avatar

im a video game hoarder. i won't sell any of them because 1) you never really get that much for them anyway and 2) i never know when i'll have the urge to play a game i haven't picked up in a while. i wont at the time but a few days after i'd sell it i'd tell myself 'i really want to play that game. wait...i can't...'

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man." - Balthier

CURRENTLY PLAYING
    final fantasy xiii-2
    skyrim
    pokemon fire red

The Quiet One Sell? Trade? Keep? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Everything stays in my collections even the games that I never plan on playing, like GT3 which came automatic with my PS2 or really uninteresting game purchases on behalf of parents that didn't listen to your requests. Fortunately, I only have two games that fall into that category and I've actually played GT3 a little (it just got really boring endlessly racing to grind the award money I needed).

I am a RPG collector so I only buy games. I do so with the intention of playing them all eventually, but with a large library it is difficult to manage sometimes. I would have to agree though that even if it keeps Gamestop in business that the resale value at stores is not worth the gas to drive to the place. You're better off selling it on Ebay for its actual value and paying the shipping charges or however it works.

Speaking as a collector though I would like to see Gamestop and other trade in stores take better care of their games and consider the condition of the case. I only shop at Gamestop when it is the last resort because they ruin the cases with all of their stickers, most places do, but Gamestop is the largest and most well known so they are the target of my frustration. It is why I like going to privately owned small businesses that take better care of games and provide less damaging ways to price their games.

I also wish that they would only accept games with everything present. I turn games away because it is just the game disc. What about the manual and DVD case? And having the nerve to charge normal prices for it. Honestly, what happened to caring about your purchase and giving it out in the same condition that you received it in?
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

I used to do that. Then I realized that I wanted those games still so I stopped trading in or selling unless I really really really needed money or didn't want that game as much.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

The Lone Dagger Sell? Trade? Keep? Xithor's Avatar

I like to keep all my games and build my collection lol I did try to take a couple to Gamestop one time and the price that I was getting was pretty bad like $2 or something for games I had bought for full price. Haha I was like no thanks I'll take those back please, if I was gonna sell anything now I'd probably go for something like Half.com because they sell for a pretty decent price there from what I can see

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

I used to have to hire a garage to store half my games/other stuff I wanted to keep which was costing me money monthly. So, some time under a year ago I believe it was, I sold the vast majority of it, though kept my faves and was really torn about keeping/selling some titles. Needed the space at home, didn't want to keep hiring a garage for a monthly fee.

The vast majority of my games I kept older then current gen are platformers and RPGs as well as a few others that would cost me too much to rebuy if I got rid of them and wanted to play again.
    victoria aut mors

Registered User Sell? Trade? Keep? winterborn86's Avatar

Depends on what it is, I had fable 2 and decided to get rid of it, and found out that I would make more selling it on ebay than I would trading it in, so I sold that, but if they are mega old games and have a fair few sratches to them I tend to just throw em in the bin.

My TFF Family

My FFVII addicted nephew: Secret weapon
    My Bullet lovin half wolf cousin: Raider
    My complete FFVII nut sister: Unkown entity
    My Freya obsessed, grammar nazi brother: Doc rocco

Registered User Sell? Trade? Keep? Zidane77's Avatar

I like to keep every game of the series and the ones related to them (like FFVII sequels and all that),and every versions of the games but i guess i could sell FF Origins and FFVI as i don't have anything to do with it, i rather play the GBA versions.

I also could consider selling VIII for a high price cause i don't see me playing that one again. But i still have everyone in the series except XI.
    Crystal Chronicles for GC i have sold and i don't buy the rest of them,Tactics or Dissidia.

Registered User Sell? Trade? Keep? Kaiden's Avatar

I use to buy tons of games when I was younger. I would have to ask my mom if she threw them away, otherwise they are sitting in my parent’s basement. I use to trade games with friends and at the store. As I have gotten older I have become very selective with what I buy though. I have only bought four games in the past two years, two of them happening last month. So I keep the games I buy now.

I tend to pack books everywhere though. I have maybe 20-30 books in my room now. My parent’s house has 5 full bookshelves from my mother and me. I can never get myself to throw a book away.

Scene from a movie.
    SPOILER!!:
    [Having pulled over a speeding driver.]
    Mac: All right, how about Cat Game?
    Foster: Cat Game? What's the record?
    Mac: Thorny did six, but I think you can do ten.
    Foster: Ten? Starting right meow?
    [They go up to the car.]
    Driver: Sorry about the...
    Foster: All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.
    [The man gives him his license.]
    Foster: Your registration? Hurry up meow.
    Driver: [laughing] Sorry.
    Foster: Is there something funny here boy?
    Driver: Oh, no.
    Foster: Then why you laughing, Mister... Larry Johnson?
    [Foster stares at him.]
    Foster: All right meow, where were we?
    Driver: Excuse me, are you saying meow?
    Foster: Am I saying meow?
    Driver: I thought...
    Foster: Don't think boy. Meow, do you know how fast you were going?
    [The man laughs.]
    Foster: Meow. What is so damn funny?
    Driver: I could have sworn you said meow.
    Foster: Do I look like a cat to you, boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly-bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
    [The man is uncontrollably laughing.]
    Foster: You stop laughing right meow!
    Driver: [Stops and swallows hard.] Yes sir.
    Foster: Meow, I'm gonna have to give you a ticket on this one. No buts meow. It's the law.
    [Rips off the ticket and hands it to the man.]
    Foster: Not so funny meow, is it?
    [Foster gets up to leave, but Mac shakes his hands at him, indicating only nine meows.]
    Foster: Meow!

Depends on the game.
    If I liked the game, I'll keep it for sure. If I didn't like it and one of my friends would like to have it, I trade it. If I didn't like the game and know no one who likes it, I sell it. ^^"

For example, I still own EVERY SNES game I ever owned, except for one, which I TRY to trade on a website. But I wouldn't ever sell or trade the ones I own. I don't play them anymore (or at least: I'd like to, but I don't play games through twice... normally ^^"), but I think that maybe one day I'd like to play them again. Nostalgia and such. XD

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)

Blog Entries

I've traded in games a few times in my life...I almost always regret it. Particularly since I keep my games in very good condition and hate buying used for that reason. Sell an old game I bought new, then if I want to get it back I end up with some poor abused copy with a scratched disc, stickers all over the case, etc. No. Just no. I only sell a game now if I absolutely know I'll never ever touch it again. That means all RPGs stay with me. Non-RPGs I'm 50-50 on, usually I keep them unless I really just didn't like the game. Pretty rare though since I usually research my choices pretty thoroughly.

Also lately I've been using Gamefly so I can play more games than I'd be able to otherwise. If I really like a game I rent I will buy a new copy of it. I have to be very selective these days as I just don't have a lot of disposable income anymore.

~DragonHeart~
    Family: Psiko, Mistress Sheena, Djinn

Registered User Sell? Trade? Keep? Ashelia's Avatar

If I didn't like them enough to ever consider playing them again, I sell them.
    If I do like them, I keep them around... And after like 10 years play them again

SHUT-UP!, SHUT-UP!, SHUT-UP! Sell? Trade? Keep? ~FANTASY-ENDER~'s Avatar
    Currently enjoying life after a long deployment

Selling them, Keeping them or trading them it depends on if I liked the game or I'm bored of it all together. Most of the time I sell them to game stores when I'm finish them. There are times that I keep them because I like to collect them like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts; there are games that have rarity like Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner.
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER][/U][/B]
    I FINALLY DEFEATED TERRA IN KINGDOM HEARTS 2 FINAL MIX+
    I give everyone permission to call me Endy, and by the way I got that nickname from FATE, sounds cool
    RPGs THAT I'VE BEATEN.....
    FINAL FANTASY VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XIII KINGDOM HEARTS II ~FINAL MIX~+ KINGDOM HEARTS I, II, Re:Chain of Memories (Sora's Story), KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS STAR OCEAN III: TIL THE END OF TIME DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 1: REBIRTH DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 2: REMINISCE DOTHACK//G.U. VOL. 3: REDEMPTION ROGUE GALAXY WILD ARMS 4 BLUE DRAGON

MY ANIMES THAT I OWN.....
    KARIN (Complete Series 1-24), INUYASHA (Episodes 1-167), SCHOOL RUMBLE (Episodes 1-26),SHAKUGAN NO SHANA (Complete 1st Season 1-24), BLEACH (Episodes 1-92), MY HiME (Complete Series 1-26), MY OTOME (Complete Series 1-26), PLEASE TWINS (Complete Series 1-13), ELFEN LIED (Complete Series 1-13), NARUTO (Episodes 1-28), THE MELANCHOLY OF HARUHI SUZUMIYA (Complete Series 1-13)