Thread: PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content?

Boxer of the Galaxy PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content? Rowan's Avatar

PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content?

Its been so long since PSN added a PS1 or PSP game to its ranks. There are absolutley hundreds, if not thousands of titles that could be offered to us on the store, yet we are stuck with the same stale list we had 2 years ago with 2 or 3 slight variations. Do they ever plan to release popular well known ps1 titles to the store? And if not, why not? It could only benefit. The only reason I believe it might not be happening is because of licensing issues. If that is the case, then its sad. If it is true, then it means crisis core was never digitally released becaue of the theme song. how depressing is that? Such a tiny reason to stop an amazing game from being made available online.

Also, we are seeing a lot of 'mini's and general indie trash and yes, i use the word TRASH clogging up the psn store. What the hell is going on? When I bought a ps4, I paid for a next generation gaming console, not a fkn 16bit playing POS.

Remember when you paid for a ps1 and you played ps1 games? Or you might have payed for a N64 and you played N64 games?
    Yeah, they were the days. When you got what you paid for. Not some substitude bullshit and a bunch of entry level programmers demanding we see more of their crap on PSN stores. Hey guess what , I got my ps4 and im playing the same games ps3 has + a whole bunch of indie crap! hell yeah, making sick use of that $540 hardware on games that I could already run using my imagination and I'd still have more fun with.

Where are the defenders of the indie titles? Where the hell are you? Come out and fight.

The Quiet One PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A new PSone game was added last week, though it's hardly a notable one. But Suikoden II looks to be coming soon and that's a big one. The development of PSP titles has slowed, so there's not going to be many still coming out. But Class of Heroes 2 and Trails in the Sky SC are coming, there's another Corpse Party game coming or recently released and there is also Sweet Fuse released recently. It's all about the Vita now.

As for the PS4, it's only been 5 months. The console library is not going to be vast at that point. It's because we have indies and the PSN to expand the available options that makes it actually better than past generations where you had to sit on only a few games you want to buy. Things will be improving at time goes on.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content? Xanatos's Avatar
    New consoles usually tend to have a rough first year as far as quality games go, thus I never saw a reason to buy one immediately at its release. I would go as far as to say PS3 was in far worse state its first year, not to mention PsP.

Some of the best games I played are indie titles, although to be honest I only ever played handfull of those, Bastion, Limbo, Minecraft (one of the most addictive games I ever played), The Binding of Isaac, Amnesia the Dark Descent (arguably the best survival horror of last generation)... so **** you Rowan.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Boxer of the Galaxy PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content? Rowan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
    A new PSone game was added last week, though it's hardly a notable one. But Suikoden II looks to be coming soon and that's a big one. The development of PSP titles has slowed, so there's not going to be many still coming out. But Class of Heroes 2 and Trails in the Sky SC are coming, there's another Corpse Party game coming or recently released and there is also Sweet Fuse released recently. It's all about the Vita now.
    Are those titles coming to EU though? I heard you US have chrono trigger on the PSN, unfortunately we dont here in EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
    New consoles usually tend to have a rough first year as far as quality games go, thus I never saw a reason to buy one immediately at its release. I would go as far as to say PS3 was in far worse state its first year, not to mention PsP.

Some of the best games I played are indie titles, although to be honest I only ever played handfull of those, Bastion, Limbo, Minecraft (one of the most addictive games I ever played), The Binding of Isaac, Amnesia the Dark Descent (arguably the best survival horror of last generation)... so **** you Rowan.
    Amnesia was alright. Limbo also alright. My point is that those few are like needles in a haystack compared to the amount of crap coming out from said entry level developers now. 'games' such as Proteus and the like trying to replace the idea of 'gameplay' with having an 'experience' because they dont know how to make a game in the first place. Do it. Pay $15 for it, I dare you.

The Quiet One PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I haven't checked my EU account to know whether they were released or will be released there. Most times the locations I get for a general list of weekly releases don't state if it is a NA and EU release or not.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content? Xanatos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Amnesia was alright. Limbo also alright. My point is that those few are like needles in a haystack compared to the amount of crap coming out from said entry level developers now. 'games' such as Proteus and the like trying to replace the idea of 'gameplay' with having an 'experience' because they dont know how to make a game in the first place. Do it. Pay $15 for it, I dare you.
    From my own experience and what I saw, read, and heard it's just the opposite, not saying there are no shitty money-grabbing indie titles as well. That being said I'm not sure which indie titles are featured on PSN and what kind of choice you have, Steam is where it's all really at.

Forgot to mention Torchlight and its sequel which are equally as fun, if not more, as Diablo series.

From my own experience and what I saw, read, and heard it's just the opposite, not saying there are no shitty money-grabbing indie titles as well. That being said I'm not sure which indie titles are featured on PSN and what kind of choice you have, Steam is where it's all really at.

Forgot to mention Torchlight and its sequel which are equally as fun, if not more, as Diablo series.
    I played and finished Diablo 3 and I didnt like it, so I probably wouldnt like torchlight, which I have seen before. I use steam a lot, so I know of which you speak. What im trying to express is that I feel indie titles are being used as place holders for other games now. I see sony advertising only indie titles because there are probably about 5 ps4 games in total at the moment. I just expect more from my ps4. I mean, cmon. its THE Ps4! Its not supposed to be just another box to play average games on. I see andro's point about the fact that it just means those games are available to play on the ps4, which would be awesome, if I had absolutley no other way of playing them, but im starving for original content here. Where is the quality that sony has brought us in previous years? Why is it yet to be seen? Is it because it had to rush and meet release deadlines with XBONE? If that is the case, I will remember to put that in my repitoire of why I hate competitors. Sometimes its good for companies to have rivals, so they step up their quality of product. But in this isntance, everyone knows Xbox sucks and all it is doing is making sony rush to release what is incomplete and so far, still obsolete to the previous console which allows me to do basic things the ps4 is still yet to do, such as connceting a drive and watching movies/listen to music etc. I think I have every right to complain. I am not the kind of person that will be content by being spoon fed crappy indie titles in the hopes it will appease me until something worthwhile is made available to those of us that forked out the dosh to own NEXT GEN HARDWARE!

Blog Entries
    The other thing you have to remember is that the games you're asking for takes time to make. Not to mention many developers won't jump in on the new console immediately at launch. They'll wait until the install base has grown enough to make it worth putting the game out there. Most of this isn't on Sony or Microsoft, it's on the individual companies making games. Sony and Microsoft can't tell them make more games faster or put more out up front. They don't have control over third party studios.

Also for reference, it is a complete list of games coming in 2014 confirmed by Sony.

PS4 Games in 2014: The Ultimate List – PlayStation.Blog

And here you can sort by region to see which are coming that you can look forward to in the future.

List of PlayStation 4 games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, there's not a lot of games right now, but most of the med-tier game developers are wiped out now. So you only have the higher than and the lower end. There are a small set of companies on the top end, which means things get paced out.

You are displeased with your PS4 and that's perfectly fine, but that's not by any means a reason to trash indie titles in general. As I already mentioned new consoles usually have a rough first year as far as quality games go, just look at PS3, PsP, Vita, WiiU, even 3DS to certain extent. I recall rather well, PS3 had catastrophic first year in that regard to say the least, it didn't even have indie titles to fill the gap which made it that much worse.

You are displeased with your PS4 and that's perfectly fine, but that's not by any means a reason to trash indie titles in general. As I already mentioned new consoles usually have a rough first year as far as quality games go, just look at PS3, PsP, Vita, WiiU, even 3DS to certain extent. I recall rather well, PS3 had catastrophic first year in that regard to say the least, it didn't even have indie titles to fill the gap which made it that much worse.
    Perhaps my detest for some of these titles is coming from somewhere else. I have some soul searching to do.

Queen PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content? Crescent's Avatar
    Im not as fond of indie titles as others r but I'm not going to be a selfish A-hole and ignore them because I don't play many of them. I appreciate them because the small guys gotta start somewhere plus the fact that I know a lot of people actually do like these releases, some more then main games so I'm not going to call them a waste of time. Hell! Most studios today who make AAA started out one time as an "Indie dev" so there is always potential in em.

Thats one thing tho that disgusts me the most in this industry is the constant hate that indies receive from people. Dont understand why its a bad thing that small groups of people are able to get together and produce a game. Games like Journey for eg dont hurt anyone. Indies produce their games and people who are interested in them buy them. In no way shape or form are Indie developers forcing gamers to choose Indie games over AAA titles.

I remember Yoshida reiterating the obv fact that Indies dont have the funds to compete with AAA developers which is why they always try to differentiate themselves with the games that they make. And for the record, most 16bit games (not necessarily all indie) offer more immersion and creative gameplay than the high resolution, pretty graphics AAA high-budget shit thats been released in recent years. Just because FFVII was out doesn't mean I wasn't still having fun playing Tetris on my gameboy.

Like Xanatos, some of my favourite games from last gen have been indie titles as well; Limbo, AmnesiaDark Descent-fan of frictional games actually and Bastion and my fave outta the4, Journey. Indie games r still games regardless, experiences from which plenty of enjoyment can be had n its better to have some Indie titles then none at all, something Sony(n MS) was criticised last gen on. But now that Sony are a big part of Indie developers, now it's suddenly not a good thing?

Can't keep changin the goalposts ppl..

Indies have proven to be great already, and the scope in which we're seeing is only expanding to draw the lines between indie and AAA. Some of these indie games on PS4 actually have a higher Critical score average than every single Xbox One exclusive released! There are some great gems that come out of indie studios you just need to give them a chance. I gave FFXIII a chance

Indies may not be able to carry any platform but they make fantastic additions to any library.

Daylight will be out sometime in the next 2 weeks. I watched gameplay footage at the EB games expo and i liked it. Plus I enjoyed my fix of survival horror from Outlast and Don't Starve. I guess it comes down to what genre of games you prefer. As for myself iam patient. And you're right this IS Sony. People try to claim PS4 will only have indies, or that it will mostly have indies and not put much emphasis on AAA titles. Those people are either trolling or they haven't paid any attention to the gaming world for the last three generations. As for the "competition" MS is more about laying the cards for everyone to see. Sony is more about keeping its cards close to its chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Where the hell are you? Come out and fight.
    ...Oh Rowan

Registered User PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content?
    I want a PS4 just for Lily Bergamo and there's next to no info on that, and a new company being involved has me worried. Hopefully there's more info on it at E3. The only other next gen things I'm interested in are Wind Waker HD and maybe SSB4. Just hope I can get a job by the time the consoles become cheap.

Blog Entries
    Oh, Lily Bergamo I'm very excited to see that one. I'm still holding out for Last Guardian. >.> It's going to be the greatest video game ever made since Shadow of the Colossus. ;p Honestly, I just want to see them talk about it again willingly rather than being hassled by the press.

One of the first JRPGs to come over here for the PS4 should be hitting this summer. So that's something too.

Is it so wrong that I dont like the way my next gen hardware is adopting indie titles? Is it so wrong to want to play ps4 games on a ps4? If I dont want to play indie's I dont have to buy them right? Well thats not the point that I'm making. The overall direction of the console has been a bitter dissapointment and its looking worse. Can I not express my utter contempt toward titles such as proteus? The $15 32bit adventure of a lifetime! Am I supposed to pat the developer on the back and tell him he's done a good job? Excuse me, but screw that! You wanna charge for your product? Impress me then.

People have to start somewhere, thats true. But you are really screwing with that phrase. We have the abject scenario where a person is applying for a job and is told "sorry, we want someone with experience" and we have the Indie developer who just got his VCE and wants to be CEO of a major company. Sony lets them in. Sorry, but I dont think sony adopting indie developers is a good thing (I know, **** me right?). This is mainly because I've had bad experiences with Indie games and it is purely because they are of poor quality and appealing to the artfags of this generation. The same kind of people that think the painting of 3 blue lines is worth millions of dollars. Its this kind of attention being brought to gaming that will ultimately ruin games for people who remember what it was like to play something made by someone with who devoted their life to it, not someone who tinkers around with shitty software to make run-of-the-mill skeet.

Lastly, Sony does not owe me anything. I am well aware of this. I am expressing my dissatisfaction with the fact that poor quality games are filling the psn store. I actually think they are doing it to make the AAA titles look even better since knack was such a letdown. But remembering how excited the developer was when he was presenting at E3 makes me feel kinda bad, seems like he put his heart and soul as well as his childhood dreams into making it... Oh well, mate.

Blog Entries
    There is Resogun, one of the higher rated games on the PS4, which I'm looking forward to playing when I get my PS4 and it's a small budget title. That's got tons of replay value too.

But the indie games today that are minimalist and simple visually, 20 years ago would have been at home with games like Super Mario Brothers and Final Fantasy. It's not a fair comparison minimalist art in a gallery and minimalist art in a game, because a game can be ugly or pretty, but if the game isn't fun then the art isn't going to make it any better. Indies focus is on gameplay and trying different things rather than trying to be really high quality visual treats. 20 years ago, if you want to be hired you just needed to know how to program, not even know game design and yet successful and popular games were still made. Likely many of the games you remember fondly from your childhood were made by people who had about as much game design experience as you. Sometimes there is a hit and sometimes there is a miss. When there is a high volume of games there's always going to be a decent amount of misses. Not to mention, many indie games tend to go for more niche audiences with specific tastes. Likely you're not in their demographic, which would probably be why they aren't appealing to you.

There is Resogun, one of the higher rated games on the PS4, which I'm looking forward to playing when I get my PS4 and it's a small budget title. That's got tons of replay value too.

But the indie games today that are minimalist and simple visually, 20 years ago would have been at home with games like Super Mario Brothers and Final Fantasy. It's not a fair comparison minimalist art in a gallery and minimalist art in a game, because a game can be ugly or pretty, but if the game isn't fun then the art isn't going to make it any better. Indies focus is on gameplay and trying different things rather than trying to be really high quality visual treats. 20 years ago, if you want to be hired you just needed to know how to program, not even know game design and yet successful and popular games were still made. Likely many of the games you remember fondly from your childhood were made by people who had about as much game design experience as you. Sometimes there is a hit and sometimes there is a miss. When there is a high volume of games there's always going to be a decent amount of misses. Not to mention, many indie games tend to go for more niche audiences with specific tastes. Likely you're not in their demographic, which would probably be why they aren't appealing to you.

I agree with what you're saying, but I must stress that my comparison of indie titles and the 3 blue lined painting was not that of a visual level, but an overall level of effort. I am well aware great visuals cannot make a game great, but we know it works both ways. Can someone please pay for proteus then come share my pain. I mention this specifically because out of all indie games on steam, this one comes to Ps4.

Blog Entries
    I doubt there's any less effort or energy put into the indies. These are people that sometimes have to put themselves into financial danger for their games. I doubt you'd find many who are not putting hard work into their games.

There's probably people out there that like Proteus. Like I said, many of these games shoot for a certain demographic and it's likely you're not in that. So it's not a game that's going to be suited to you. Doesn't make it any less of a game. And it was probably successful financially for them to be porting it. So there is clearly a group that enjoys it.

Im just gonna leave this here. It was painted by Jean Michael Basquiat in 1981 and it sold for 26.4 million.
    while everyone here will agree this painting looks worthless, it represents everything I've been trying to say.

Last edited by Rowan; 04-23-2014 at 09:01 PM.

I doubt there's any less effort or energy put into the indies. These are people that sometimes have to put themselves into financial danger for their games. I doubt you'd find many who are not putting hard work into their games.
    This, so much this.

Rowan, I suggest you check out "Indie Game: The Movie" if you haven't already, it's a movie about indie developers and all the struggles they face. It's insane to say the least how much effort and time they put into their games, not to mention sacrifices they have to make.

This, so much this.

Rowan, I suggest you check out "Indie Game: The Movie" if you haven't already, it's a movie about indie developers and all the struggles they face. It's insane to say the least how much effort and time they put into their games, not to mention sacrifices they have to make.

I'll suss it out... Is it free? I can believe you saying that about something like amnesia, but Proteus? 2 games that cost the same amount, mind you.

Certified tech, come at me! PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content? SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rowan, have you considered making a separate region account for Japan and US? I believe it is possible to do on the PS3, not sure about PS4 (you might have to google that one). Thought I'd throw that suggestion out there if you wanted some more options.
    Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSabin View Post
    Rowan, have you considered making a separate region account for Japan and US? I believe it is possible to do on the PS3, not sure about PS4 (you might have to google that one). Thought I'd throw that suggestion out there if you wanted some more options.
    yes, but memory cards for vita are region locked. I would need multiple memory cards with different regions and accounts in order for me to do that and its a big hassle. This was also why I didnt buy a vita TV.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't like the term "indie developer" or "indie games". Indie games are so pretentious. It's all very "look at me, look at me, I can make the video games!" I know people who make indie games, and they know what I think of them. I wish I could find a way to survive and spend my entire day dicking about in a cafe or bar, writing up some code and making renders.

Minecraft is an exception, and I'm sure there's a few more titles out there that I'd like. But I can't get over my irrational hated of the word "indie".

I have a PS4 too, and I don't really play much of it at the moment. But next Friday, I'm planing on getting Spider-Man for it, then Child of Light, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Dragon Age: Inqusition, Watchdogs and I'm thinking about Bound by Flame. There's loads coming out for it, but I'm a little irked that he same games are on previous gen too. But I knew they would be when I bought it, s I can't be too mad (I was one of the lucky few to get a mega-bundle here - paid only £410 after discount). I kept my PS3 to. Play the older games I still haven't tackled, so that's what I'm doing in this slow period!

I still have all of the free PS+ games to play too. Not complaining about my free games either!

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Queen PSN is dead + Ps4 has more 16bit crap than actual quality content? Crescent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Entity View Post
    I don't like the term "indie developer" or "indie games". Indie games are so pretentious. It's all very "look at me, look at me, I can make the video games!"
    I dont think they're all like that but I can name one indie A-hole who is; indie developer of Fez - Phil Fish. Pretentious in every sense of the word amongst a few others..It was during a Q&A after documentary Indie Games: The Movie as Xanatos had mentioned, a Japanese game designer in the audience asked Fish what he thought of modern Japanese games. Fish gave his honest opinion — rather bluntly. “Your games just suck,” Fish infamously said. After Fish’s answer, people in the screening room snickered, laughed or let out exclamations of surprise or shock. That entire room was full of pretentious hipsterfags. I would link the video but they pulled it down. Its one thing to read the transcript of the QnA but when u watch it it was much worse. Japanese games suck..yeah ok I dont even know where to start with that statement..

But there are some great gems that come out of the indie scene as a whole such as resogun(now available on PS4), Journey, Amnesia and the others that have already been mentioned.

Question, why buys ps4 knowing the line up is poop? Kind of an expensive paper weight ya got there for the time being buddy I have little interest in the new consoles, they don't even have blu ray or usb ports from what I hear.. Stick with your pc homey

Oh and, fuck indie titles, they are time sinks that will never fulfil a gamer like me, from what I've played anywho

The indie games I played in the past were awesome, some of the best games I played as well, Journey and Limbo. They're definitely not to everybody's tastes sheesh. I checked out that Proteus mentioned that is one of the indie titles that anyone would pass on let alone pay for it. If you did buy it, its like your purposely trolling yourself unless you genuinely like it or at least appreciate the concept whatever it may be exploration? It looks like minecraft from what Ive seen.

Indie titles definitely are a hit n miss. Im a console man myself not so much the PC plus just think they get better exclusives. Im yet to get my own PS4 I cant wait And with E3 coming up, why tip their hat early? Sony will own it like they have every other year. Just keep the faith But thats why most people get the consoles later rather than at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by nix View Post
    they are time sinks that will never fulfil a gamer like me, from what I've played anywho
    The 2 I mentioned had definitely fufilled a gamer like me Id recommend them but then I may not play as many games as you or share the same taste in games Although Im wondering which indie titles you did play
    Last edited by ezio69; 04-25-2014 at 11:42 PM.