Thread: PS3 RPGs?

Blog Entries

PS3 RPGs?

Today I made the realisation that among the few PS3 games that my brother and I own, none of them are RPGs. I've bought very few games for the PS3 thus far, mostly because they all seem crap. The ones we do own are games such as GTA IV, the Modern Wafare games, Uncharted, etc. The one's that have a following seem to be the ones that are actually good. However, if I've been in an RPG mood, I've just stuck to DS, and old PS1/2 games. Are there any good RPGs on the PS3? When I think about it, I can't even name one (released) RPG on the platform. Naturally, I don't want to be told to 'wait for XIII', because that's just so obvious as to be completely idiotic.

Please, share the hidden PS3 RPGs around!

Lady Succubus PS3 RPGs? Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Assassin's Creed 1/2. Valkyria Chronicles. Folklore. Cross Edge. Disgaea 3.
    Dragon Age Origins (come on, that game just came out). Uncharted 2.

Also, as of note, "Don't knock it til you try it." is what I'd like to say regarding your "the games seem crap" statement.

Blog Entries
    How is Assassin's Creed an RPG? I've played the first, and it's OK, but it's more an action/adventure or a platformer.

And by 'they seem crap', that goes from initial impressions, reviews, and what friends say. I'm not going to buy a game to see if it's any good, when I could just read a review.

The Quiet One PS3 RPGs? Andromeda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Assassin's Creed and Uncharted aren't RPGs, Shadow. >.> Though I guess you're just list games.

Anyway, I actually own all of the RPGs, minus one, on the PS3 that aren't Western RPGs. Not to say I don't own some western ones, they just aren't on my list of RPGs I want to play. Anyway here is the list for you.

JRPGs
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Cross Edge
    Disgaea 3
    Eternal Sonata
    Demon's Souls
    Folklore (more or less)

Western RPGs
    Dragon Age Origins
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
    Sacred 2
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Fallout 3
    Enchanted Arms (its more JRPG feeling I think, but it was Ubisoft)

Coming Soon
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Tales of Vesperia
    Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope
    Record of Agarest War
    Atelier Rorona
    3D Dot Game Heroes
    White Knight Chronicles
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Last Rebellion
    Resonance of Fate

Suggestions, get Valkyria Chronicles, its an amazing game with a beautiful art style. If you can find Demon's Souls get that too. It's hard, but its rewarding. The rest will depend on your tastes.
    Curious? There's no limits but your own imagination.
    Don't know how to roleplay, but want to learn? Visit Here!

2007 and 2009 Best Writer of TFF and 2009 Most Creative Co-Winner

Enchanted Arms is a JRPG. Ubisoft didn't develop the game, they just published it. It was developed by From Software, the guys that also did Demon's Souls (which ironically, is really more of a Western style RPG).

Andro's list covered pretty much every notable title that I can think of. But if your tastes are so specific that you can claim that PS3 games seem mostly like crap, you may not find anything.
    Last edited by Jin; 11-17-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Until now!

Lady Succubus PS3 RPGs? Victoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    How is Assassin's Creed an RPG? I've played the first, and it's OK, but it's more an action/adventure or a platformer.

And by 'they seem crap', that goes from initial impressions, reviews, and what friends say. I'm not going to buy a game to see if it's any good, when I could just read a review.
    Rent the game, my friend. Rent. Even if a review says it's bad, it's only from that writer's perspective. You and he/she may have different tastes, and therefore you may like the game despite its faults. Reviews aren't the be all/say all of if you should get a game or not.

They're just something to base your decision on. Same thing with comments from friends. You and they may or may not have different tastes. Initial impressions are one thing, but the whole game may be something completely different.

And yes, that's true... Assassin's Creed and Uncharted 2 aren't RPGs, but... they're still good games that he should play anyway. =P

I forgot about Demon's Souls, and Jin touched on what I was about to say. Enchanted Arms is indeed a JRPG. Hell, it has Japanese dialogue and a special short manga that comes with it. (at least with the 360 version I got 3 years ago)
    Last edited by Victoria; 11-17-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Renting is fine, but not here, where the selection is narrower than the diversity in China (see attachment).

I should probably refine this request to ask for only very good PS3 RPGs. I don't have the time or desire to spend all day trialling games to see if reviews are accurate or not. I'll try a game if many reviews and friends recommend them, hence my limited purchases of PS3 games.

Thanks for the list Andro, I'll look into Valkyria Chronicles at least.
    Attached Images Attached Images PS3 RPGs?-pic20142-jpg 

Thing is, the PS3 really isn't the RPG platform. The 360 is a way better choice if you're only looking for RPGs.

Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls are the only two you'd be really missing, in my opinion.

Edit: And I lawl that attachment.
    Last edited by Jin; 11-17-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Until now!

Blog Entries
    I'm still trying to hunt down Enchanted Arms. So I haven't played. I just know that Ubisoft's name was all over it and they pushed it a lot. And hearing Ubisoft's name you don't really think we're publishing a RPG. It's sort of like Square publishing a Western FPS, which they have done I think. It's just weird. So I figured that had to be Ubisoft doing it or a studio under them. It looked more JRPG than anything an American studio would make so I was interested. Knowing that it wasn't Ubisoft but From that made it makes me more interested in finding it. Yes, the name of Ubisoft was actually putting me off from the title and not encouraging me.

And bright side on the PS3, there's a few more RPGs to be found on the PSN store. They are old PSone games, but at this point they may be difficult to find these days.

EDIT:
    The 360 is not really anymore the RPG console. Nearly all of the RPGs that used to be exclusive on the 360 are going to the PS3 minus, Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon and Lost Odsessy. Which Infinite Undiscovery I'm told was pretty bad and for me I have zero interest in Mistwalkers games. It's actually pretty even right now, though I do believe the PS3 has one or two more RPGs as current.
    Last edited by Andromeda; 11-17-2009 at 10:07 PM.

You're not missing much with Enchanted Arms, honestly. Its only real innovation (if you can call it that) is incorporating a small grid into standard turn based combat (now that I think about it, something akin to what Cross Edge does). The rest is standard JRPG cliches. Boring environments, 2 dimensional characters, lots of backtracking and a typically cliched JRPG plot. Meh.

One thing I'm looking forward to is Resonance of Fate. It looks like it may be able to breath new life into JRPGs similar to how Valkyria Chronicles did. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm hoping.
    Last edited by Jin; 11-17-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Until now!

Blog Entries
    Hehe, I'm not sure if you're trying to convince me not to get Enchanted Arms or not. But you have to keep in mind that I own over 100 RPGs. ^^; So I have no problem buying mediocre JRPGs. I play them all the time and I find something that I enjoy about them.

In that case, go for it as"medicore JRPG" is exactly what you'll get. =)

Until now!

Registered User PS3 RPGs? WilsonDean1990's Avatar
    My friend told me about DC Universe apparently you can make your own character with own super powers and can play mass online play, Thoughts People?

TheDigitalManga Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigitalManga
    Bakuman Epsiode 1 Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../0/hAID_tCqznY
    Bakuman Epsiode 1 Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../1/_SGnj0AI5WI
    Bakuman Episode 1 Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigit.../0/szpHqaSscC4

I Think You Anime/Manga Fans would really like it!!

Hard to have any meaningful thoughts when it's still a ways off.

It's a DC based MMO. You can't really tell how good an MMO is going to be until a few months after its release to see how stats, the economy and everything else balances.

Besides, it's not as if it's a PS3 exclusive. It's coming to PC as well.

Until now!

Che
    Fallout 3 is good, or was when it came out. The combat is kinda lame, but a lot of people like it.

Folklore was a launch game I think, but it was very good. Very artistic.

Demon's Souls is like Oblivion on crack.

Haven't played Dragon Age yet, but I will once I have a PS3 again.

Valkyria Chronicals was a strategy RPG, which I'm not really fond of.

If you're looking for more traditional RPGs, I'd suggest getting a PSP. There's more PSP RPGs out than you could ever imagine playing.
    Last edited by Che; 11-20-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Waiting for your sister to turn 18 PS3 RPGs? chrono's Avatar
    Valkyria Chronicles is your game of choice!!!!

i do not know why che is not fond of it but for me and everyone else i introduced it to it has became a gem. it is a very beautiful game excellent story and characters. it is sort of like ff tactics with guns and tanks instead of magic and chocobos. and it switches to third person view when you move your characters.

JUST GET IT

TRUST ME
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\bit torrents\jiu jitsu\helio.jpg

Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch a movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." -Marcelo Garcia

To fight is a man's instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

Che didn't say he specifically wasn't fond of Valkyria Chronicles. He said he wasn't fond of strategy RPGs.

Also, the story and characters are hardly excellent. Just your typical JRPG fair. Good will prevail, love, friendship and all that dribble and lots of "^_^" faces.

Valkyria Chronicles' awesomeness resides within its unique gameplay.

Until now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Che didn't say he specifically wasn't fond of Valkyria Chronicles. He said he wasn't fond of strategy RPGs.

Also, the story and characters are hardly excellent. Just your typical JRPG fair. Good will prevail, love, friendship and all that dribble and lots of "^_^" faces.

Valkyria Chronicles' awesomeness resides within its unique gameplay.
    that dribble....the greatest movies, books, and games all contain this dribble that you speak of.

maybe the awesomeness only resides in the gameplay for you but for many others(read some reviews)(including me) the story, characters, art, and GAMEPLAY are what make this game a great experience.

you are entitled to your opinion though. like Voltaire said, I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it

Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch a movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." -Marcelo Garcia

To fight is a man's instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by chrono
    that dribble....the greatest movies, books, and games all contain this dribble that you speak of.
    Exactly. It was thought provoking the first time it was articulated. Not so much the millionth time we've heard it. Racism is bad. War is bad. Friendship is good. No shit. How about some more controversial themes or angles designed to be engaging or interesting instead of another rehash of a GI Joe PSA?

Though you're right that I forgot to include the art as a high point for the game. With the exception of Rosie's hair balls. Seriously, she looks like Mickey Mouse.
    Last edited by Jin; 11-22-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Until now!

PS3 RPGs?
    Well it's hardly a PS3 exclusive (being a port of a PC title) but I've spent about 300 hours playing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and I love it!
    It's nothing like Final Fantasy but none the less it is an absolutely massive, epic, sprawling RPG experience unlike anything I personally have ever played before.
    Get the "game of the year edtion" which has both the expansion packs built in and you have more than enough RPGness to keep you going until FFXIII finally arrives!
    One Man and His Axe...

Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Exactly. It was thought provoking the first time it was articulated. Not so much the millionth time we've heard it. Racism is bad. War is bad. Friendship is good. No shit. How about some more controversial themes or angles designed to be engaging or interesting instead of another rehash of a GI Joe PSA?

Though you're right that I forgot to include the art as a high point for the game. With the exception of Rosie's hair balls. Seriously, she looks like Mickey Mouse.

ok i understand your point a little better and i do not totally disagree but when it comes to this game i guess we will have to agree to disagree because i think that the story was very well done even if all the themes were about things that have been done by other great games.