Thread: Ports vs Remakes

Ports vs Remakes

Interestingly enough I know people on both sides of this debate and they all have valid points. I do like the original and its always fun to have a port as part of a collection or standalone. ( Example Castlevania Symphony of the night with Castlevania Dracula X chronicles psp or just the GBA version of tales of phantasia) However sometimes playing an old game with revamp graphics adds goodstuff to an already awesome game or bring about feelings of nostalgia and excitement.( FF4 Ds etc)

Sometimes its the only way to get unreleased games, well who were unreleased stateside/Europe anyway.

Which one do you prefer?

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Ports vs Remakes Xanatos's Avatar

Re: Ports vs Remakes

I prefer port, though I guess I'm OK with both when it comes to older games since they're probably not available as they used to, needless to say a decent remake would certainly appeal to wider, younger audience, give them a chance to play a timeless classic.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I'm ok with both, it definitely adds a special something when you play a so-called 'classic' game in its original platform/version, it feels like exactly that, an original experience. It also helps you appreciate better how far a series has come since years of development.

I also like ports, though. I like to see the upgraded graphics, the added material, voice overs, cut scenes, it's a whole different way to play the same game. And as it has been mentioned already, some times ports are the only way to get access to a game that has been released outside your region or years ago.

It greatly depends on each person of course. There are people who play games only if they are graphically attractive to them, so that rules out most of the games from early last decade or the 90s, depending on how picky the person is.

I like both. If it's something I don't care about, I won't buy it.

More options is a good thing. Having a game on many platforms means it's available to more people. If you don't like a remake, stick to the original.

That said, if you're going to make a remake, do it right. There are quite a few games I'd like to see get a (good) graphical update with voices added, possibly with some extra scenes as well. But if it ends up looking or sounding bad, there's little point in it.

Juppiter Adept Ports vs Remakes TheNiteAngel's Avatar

I like both. I'd like to play every Final Fantasy at least once in the form that it was in when it was originally released just for the enjoyment of the experience, but I'm fine with additions. But they have to be additions that make sense. There's nothing I hate more than addition purely for the sake of addition. If it doesn't actually add anything, don't add it
    Own: Origins (I&II), III (DS), Chronicles (IV), Anthology (V&VI), VII, 7-DoC, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, Tactics, TA

Looking to Buy: TA2, and XII-RW

Haven't played: XIII, 7-CC, XIIRW, TA2

Complete: I, II, III, IV, VII, VIII, X, MQ

-I am something of a perfectionist in that I don't consider a run through to the end a complete game. I have to complete everything possible.

Favorite non-FF RPG: Legend of Dragoon (Total Complete 8 times)

Current Goal: Bit of a break from Final Fantasy and into Kingdom Hearts. I've beaten Kh, Re:CoM, and I'm halfway through both KH2 and Days