Thread: Playing multiplayer in RPGS

Certified tech, come at me! Playing multiplayer in RPGS SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Playing multiplayer in RPGS

Do any of you ever team up with other people when you're playing rpgs that have multiplayer features like FF IV-VI (snes), the Tales series, Mana, etc? and if you do play with other people, how do you plan things out?

This one day, my friend and I were hanging out at my place and we were playing 2 player EarthBound. I would move around the world map and if we got into a battle, I'd switch off with him so he can move around the world map. It was alot of fun.
    Currently Playing:

Death Before Dishonor Playing multiplayer in RPGS Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Playing multiplayer in RPGS

I do on occasion, but it is not something that is frequent. I usually like to play alone.

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

I've played 2 player FFIX. They control 2 people on their controller and I would control the other 2, not something I would do unless your friend knows what to do as well.
    Signature Updated: Yesterday
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Currently Playing: Video Games

I want to play a game. Playing multiplayer in RPGS Zargabaath's Avatar

One time my friends and I played, for a short amount of time, Tales of Eternia (Tales of Destiny II in the States, licensing rights & He-Man). It was ok, that was the first time I had played a Tales game but I wasn't too into at the time. Largely due to my friend, who owned the game, trying to set up the 4-player co-op; it took quite a considerable amount of time for it to finally work at which point my other two friends and I were out of it.

I've never given multi-player another whirl since then. To add on what Loaf said about only playing with a person who knows what to do; I think I would need someone who plays similiar to my style (in certain RPGs) for me to co-op. That would be needed for more demanding battles, but if we would be doing easy encounters than as long as the person knew what to do I'll be ok.

Main series FFs Beaten - FF: 4x, FFII: 3x, FFIII: 3x, FFIV: 3x, FFV: 3x, FFVI: 4x, FFVII: 5x, FFVIII: 5x, FFIX: 3x, FFX: 4x, FFXII: 3x, FFXIII: 2x, FFXV: 2x

I wouldn't mind someone who plays different, just as long as they know wtf to do. Like if someone is playing FFIX with me and they are Steiner and just constantly trying to use Minus Strike and we aren't doing a speed run then I would hate them.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

I've done this a few times, and it can be a lot of fun as long as the other person isn't a complete idiot. I know I've played Secret of Mana with multiplayer. And a few RPGs here and there. Usually for an RPG, we have the main player control where to go and what to do. Each picks their characters to control in battle. Of course, where to go and battle strategy can be discussed. It adds a nice new element to RPGs, but sometimes it can be more annoying than good.

A way to make it easier is to have your battle on as Wait if the game allows it. Me and my friend played on Active and it was kinda tough...with my knowledge of the game it made it easier lol.
    CPC8! - Pimpin' is easy

CPC8! - Chess Club

SPOILER!!:
    lol

Proof

yo does anyone have a list of all the final fantasy games from beggining to end im starting to collect all of em pm me if u got a list. please and ofc original version black edition not greatest hits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Proof View Post
    yo does anyone have a list of all the final fantasy games from beggining to end im starting to collect all of em pm me if u got a list. please and ofc original version black edition not greatest hits.
    This is the wrong place for this, my friend. I would suggest you check the forum called "General Final Fantasy" for a similar thread, and if there are none, to start a thread yourself. Although I'm not sure if anyone can help you... I'd suggest eBay or amazon. Also, check out the forum rules while you're at it. I strongly suggest you read the latter before posting.

As per the topic at hand... I generally don't play multiplayer RPG's, or RPG's with others, for that matter. Can't think of a situation where I have, in fact. Actually, I did play X-Men Legends 2 with a couple people (that's an RPG of sorts...) I got really annoyed with one of them, and he stopped playing with me as a result, haha... Anyhoo...

Wuv, Yer Mom

Bananarama Playing multiplayer in RPGS Pete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only game I've ever been able to do that with is Windwaker. My roommate back in college and I would just leave it on 24/7, and whenever we were bored we'd pick it up and play until we were stuck or had something pressing to do... like class. We wound up beating it in about 4-5 months.

Other than that, I couldn't stand to play a turn based game with another person controlling my characters. I used to do it with my brother when we were little, but we'd always fight. I'd get pissed because it was "my" save and he wouldn't use the same strategy I'd be using. Today, forget about it. lol
    SOLDIER
    cHoSeN
    Crao Porr Cock8- Rebels, Rogues and Sworn Brothers

Registered User Playing multiplayer in RPGS

I can honestly say that the only time I've ever played "mulitplayer RPGs" was when my older brother would tell me to level up his characters because he didn't want to do the grind. He would say "Get these characters to such-and-such levels, but don't do anything else!" And I (being excited that I actually got to play) would of course do it without any hesitation.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've played White Knight Chronicles online with Mistress Victoria. That was a lot of fun. Quest wise it seemed a little limited, but levelling to 50 and buying/downloading some more will most likely improve it. Also if we could get some other players in too to tackle harder quests. xD

I remember someone else coming into my game when I was playing Demon's Souls, but I didn't know what they were going to be like to I turned the console off and played offline. Not many people have it over here, so playing online is kind of pointless, so I guess it was a little bit of a shock. ^^;

I can't really think of any other RPG I've played online with someone. Most of the ones I own tend to be single player.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Registered User Playing multiplayer in RPGS Selcopa's Avatar

multiplayer rpg? MMO's is really the only thing that can do it justice. A multiplayer RPG seems tough for a developer to pull off, i'd still want to be able to control all my characters, but anything with double the character's would be too easy, and obviously anything that required twice as many characters would be too hard for a single player.

Isn't this what FFXIII Agito is setting out to do, solo game but some quests you can do some stuff online as a group? That