Thread: Shadow of the Colossus

Rabanastran Shadow of the Colossus Belugn's Avatar

Shadow of the Colossus

I finished it some months ago and I have to say that it's one of my greatest PS2 experiences ever.

Anyone played it, and what was your thoughts about it?
    "I don't think I have what it takes to make a good action game. I think I'm better at telling a story."
    Hironobu Sakaguchi

Memento Rhapso Shadow of the Colossus Rhaps's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Shadow of the Colossus

I thought it was a truly amazing game, and very expansive. An actual sequel instead of the one they made about the protagonist's descendant would be awesome. Plus the massive landscape made it that much better.

CPC8- 'fo bros, 'fo life, 'fo shizzle

SPOILER!!:
    I won something :3

Also member of something that won another thing

Don't click this.

Forget PS2 experiences. Shadow of the Colossus was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had. It was the first time that I've felt, other than perhaps with Ico, that gaming had the potential to be an art form all on its own without relying on movie tactics.

I know I'm not alone in wanting Sony to release an HD collection including it and Ico in a fashion similar to what they did with God of War.
    Last edited by Jin; 03-20-2010 at 07:47 AM.

Until now!

RhapsoBlarg: yes that would be truely amazing.

Jin: You're absolutly right. I've just recently got my hands on ICO, and I'm going to be playing it as soon as soon as I have some spare time on my hands. I wish I'd played it first though, others players says that there are references in SOTC from ICO. I've tried my best not to get ICO spoiled for me, so I don't know anything further about that really.

I just LOVED the environments, and how everything was so silent, such vast beautiful surroundings, yet so empty somehow, making the colossi appear even more mystifying as they appeared. I found it undescribable, I've never played a game with such an atmosphere to it before. You really felt that you were in lands where you were not truely allowed to be as a simple human being.

And the colossi battles. Anyone's got a favourite? I really really enjoyed the fight against...I think it's the fifth colossi, the bird type. And then the sandworm, where you had to be quick on the horse and precise with your bow at the same time. My heart was hammering it's way out of my chest during that battle, it was quite intense and that snake actually scared me quite a lot.
    The horse was some fun too, took me quite a while before I realized how you were supposed to beat it. And then there's the collosus where you have to run around and jump from pillars, as it knocks them down. I could go on forever, but I should save some for further discussion.
    "I don't think I have what it takes to make a good action game. I think I'm better at telling a story."
    Hironobu Sakaguchi

Registered User Shadow of the Colossus

I think that anyone who's ever played it was blown away by the overall game. I still will sometimes pop it into my PS2 and slay some colossi every once in a while. I'm not good enough at the game to win a lot of the Time Attack challenges, but it's still fun to try.

I really liked the soundtrack to the game, and how it was incorporated into the battles. I thought it was cool how while you were fighting a colossi, the music would change with how the battle was progressing. The opening and ending themes were great too, and actually, the overall ending was the most bittersweet ending I think I've ever seen in a game.

I remember when it was first announced that I was a little skeptical about it, since I was told that there wouldn't be much to it besides boss battling, but I'm really glad that I gave it a chance. It's now up there as one of my favorite games of all time. Just goes to show that if you step out of your gaming comfort zones, sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sidenote: I played Ico after SotC. It's really great as well, and I can't wait for the Last Guardian.

Edit: Favorite Colossi battle? They're all good in their own right, but I think my favorite would be the one that is in the water and has electric powers, and the one that can dig itself under the sand and you have to shoot it in it's big eyes to get the advantage over it.
    Last edited by Dodie16; 03-20-2010 at 12:21 PM.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

@Dodie: I KNOW I was going to mention the soundtrack myself. You remember the turtle however? The one where you used the geisers (or whatever) to your advantage? Probably the battle I had most difficulties with to figure out how to get up on it. Even more so just to figure out how to get it move over one of the hot water pillars. It just kept firing it's lasers at me as I run, and sometimes it just stood completly still, ogling at me unpleasantly at a distance, face dark. When I finally started to get up on it, I think I fell down from it four or five times. It was SO frustrating to finally be getting up, that upbeat spiritfilled soundtrack - Resurrected power - and then I fell, and so instantly did the soundtrack. xD
    Hironobu Sakaguchi

^ Oh yeah, I remember the fight with the turtle-looking one. I think that one was more challenging because of how slowly the battle seemed to go. I guess it's to be expected, because it did look like a giant turtle. Also, the geysers never seemed to go off when I needed them to.

The one I had to most trouble with was actually one of the smaller ones. It was the one where you fought in the ancient city looking thing, and you had to stay on top of all the structures or the Colossi would maul you to death. It was fast too, so if you fell off one of the structures, you had to be QUICK to get back up on one, or find a really good place to duck for a while until you got a chance to get away from it.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    Evil BAD Guys

Asking all the personal questions. Shadow of the Colossus RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

The game was very cinematic beautiful graphics and scenery, I didn't finished it straight away all the colossi were not to difficult to battle but the last was a bit challenging, and because of that I had a break from it and continued it some time later.

I liked all the colossi because they all had different strategies to destroy them, I especially liked the flying snake like one in the desert where you had to run along side it and jump off your horse to get onto it that was fun.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Shadow of the Colossus Polk's Avatar

Shadow of the Colossus was amazing. No two ways about it.

My favorite fight is probably Phalanx, the thirteenth colossus (Video contains some spoilers. Watch at your own risk.). Great fight, with an epic and grandiose scale.
    Last edited by Polk; 03-20-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

@Dodie: I know, the smaller ones were always the most challenging. I guess it was because you had to use what was around you more than you did with the greater colossi, that it was more of a matter circling them around and trying to figure out how to get up on them. I thought the tiniest dog like colossus was the most challenging in the game, it was INSANELY quick on it's feet, and when it managed to knock you over, you'd be lying immobilized on the ground FOREVER, just to, when you finally got up again, have the luck to have him charge at you RIGHT in that moment, and you'd find yourself knocked over again. And again. And again. I certainly did not earn any points in graceful technique in that battle. And when you finally got up on it, it was the wildest little thing; it took me some tries before I could finally land my stabs. Yeeha!

There was a lot of insane rodeo rides in SOTC in general actually, haha.

@RamesesII: The last battle was quite challenging yes. I always found myself losing my grip because I was too slow, or really just wasted it climbing around in the wrong directions, when you had to cling to his hands. It was really fun getting near and then running up all the "construction" parts of him though. When I first borrowed SOTC from a friend, I had the image that all colossi battles would be like that, like a level of it's own. So I was really thrilled to find that one colossus actually was just like how I'd imagined it to be.

@James: PHALANX was such a beautiful colossus. I love the immensly big ones, they had such an aura. I felt really really bad for killing that one, it wasnt' agressive at all.

Speaking of agression. The eighth colossus, Kuromori, was probably the most difficult to me - much because I didn't really have a strategy for it. In every battle, you were supposed to pay attention to the glowing bits of the colossus, to trigger something to your advantage. I don't know why, but in this fight, I just...didn't. I ran around like a fool back and forth in those walls, waiting for him to reveal his stomach in one of the windows. And shot it down to the ground that way. Probably took me two hours or something, because most of the time, he would just climb down to stare me scared to death face to face, and blow out that everexpanding electric cloud of destruction. And when I jumped down I most of the time didn't manage to get down to the colossus before it was already up and running again.
    Checked videos on youtube later and I just don't know why I was so stupid and didn't realize you should shoot arrows at his legs to make him fall off...stupid gecko.

I loved..if it was the second last colossus. The one where you ran over it's head on thin bridges. It was a REALLY fun and smart battle.
    Last edited by Belugn; 03-21-2010 at 03:19 AM.
    Hironobu Sakaguchi

Bumping this thread, because I stumbled across something that I hope turns out to be true! There's a rumor that both Shadow of the Colossus and Ico are going to be remastered in HD for the PS3 sometime next year!

Source: Ico, Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection Rumored for Q1, 2011

Anyone who's ever played Ico or Shadow of the Colossus is usually left with high praise, but unfortunately for those who never played them, they can be pretty tough to come by these days (particularly Ico). Hopefully that'll soon change, if a new rumor is to be believed: Team Ico is reportedly planning on bundling both games together on a Blu-ray disc, remastered in HD, for release on the PlayStation 3 in the first quarter of 2011.

This rumor first popped up (albeit submerged in inexplicable and very, very NSFW language) on VG247, although no specific source was mentioned in their report. Additionally, The Six Axis later reported that they were told by their own anonymous source the planned collection is real, and Sony will release it in the first quarter of 2011.

Clearly none of this is confirmed, but if these reports are accurate, it may tell us a little bit about Team Ico's latest project, The Last Guardian. After all, it would make sense to release any "Team Ico Collection" right around the launch of their new game, and more than likely even a few weeks or months before it (much like Sony did with the God of War Collection before the release of God of War 3). As such, this might suggest The Last Guardian is similarly planned for a first-quarter release next year.

But, once again, nothing's confirmed. We'll see if Sony has any big announcement to make at E3 in just a few weeks.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    Evil BAD Guys

Indeed, I've run across these rumours as well and they got me gitty.

From what I understand, Ueda wants a bundle released and Sony is "open" to it (think I read that on Kotaku, but I can't remember for sure), so it's likely to happen. Unless Sony does that thing they sometimes do where they ignore logic.

The only thing that worries me about this is that if this is slated for 2011, that means the Last Guardian will likely be sometime after it. I was really hoping for a holiday release for that one. But good news (assuming it's true), nonetheless.

Until now!

The Bird Of Hermes Shadow of the Colossus Dancing_Corpse's Avatar

Brilliant game I loved every minute of it and it still eats me up inside that I lost it when I moved house T_T

Those are some fine rumours! I will never forgive myself for not being quick enough and buying Ico the instant I saw it in our local game shop's retro locker. It was there for MONTHS, so I thought, hey, I'll get it some other day.

Then, when I was actually going to buy it, it was gone. Same goes for Metal Gear Solid 1.
    Hironobu Sakaguchi

The Lone Dagger Shadow of the Colossus Xithor's Avatar

Shadow of the Colossus on the PS3 would be absolutely amazing, there has never been a game where the main character does not utter a word the entire time and I was amazed by the whole experience. What a concept and deliverance of the story, every landscape was amazing and the battles were fantastic. On PS3 it'd only be better.

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

Registered User Shadow of the Colossus Xtrmn8r_V.13.7.3's Avatar
    In a dark room to prevent glare, Auckland, New Zealnad

No, i have not played it. . .
    I have'nt even heard about it, is it good? And does anyone recomend it?

When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of
    Power, the world will know peace.
    ~Jimmy Hendrix~

Thanks to Kilala for my Avataar and Signature

Asking all the personal questions. Shadow of the Colossus RamesesII's Avatar
    I am a god, where ever the hell I please.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrmn8r_V.13.7.3 View Post
    Its one of the best games I have ever played the cinematics are just amazing and the actual style is pretty breathtaking I definetly reccomend it.
    A mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer.
    --Ancient Egyptian Wisdom, 2200 B.C.

Crao Porr Cock8, Go and get a Cock8 up ya.

The finer details of a signature:

CHE- "I pee sitting down after I have sex because for some reason after I have sex and I try to pee, it goes everywhere."
    Nuff said^

My loving TFF Family:

My beautiful go-go dancing Queen Aara
    My brother Meier Link, proudly supporting the World Wide Institute of Booze since 1982.
    My Spasmodic, spamtastic, spammer nephew Fate.
    My brother HUNK, he who wears the number 1 headband.
    My glowing Goddess of Egyptian thingy's, Unknown Entity.
    My Unique and unpredictable mother Kilala ^^.
    My little arcade freak brother nra4.
    My brother Captain of the Dragoon warriors, Mallick.
    My razzle, dazzle, razamatic, razphony brother Ralz
    My younger brother Ryu-Kentoshii Hirokima, the Legendary Samurai who Doesn't take "No" for an Answer.

Literature:

Recently read-
    Belgariad- David Eddings

Currently Reading-
    The Tournament by Matthew Reilly

Gaming:

Currently PLaying

-Minecraft
    - ASS Creed III

Sadly I have never played this game ;_; But I heard about it while I was looking at Katethegreats videos on YouTube... It really spiked my interest.

So naturally I researched it and it looks so cool @_@ I just need to hunt down a copy. Especially if I know that people here are fans of it too <3.

Following the path for truth...

and ending the dream.

Waiting for your sister to turn 18 Shadow of the Colossus chrono's Avatar

say whaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Go get it.......stop reading this and go get it. you can find it at gamestop for about 20 bucks.

It is in my top 5 games and avoid spoilers because the ending is..........
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\bit torrents\jiu jitsu\helio.jpg

Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch a movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." -Marcelo Garcia

To fight is a man's instinct; if men have nothing else to fight over they will fight over words, fancies, or women, or they will fight because they dislike each other's looks, or because they have met walking in opposite directions” - George Santayana

As previous commenters, GO GET IT. SOMEHOW. I've actually never seen it in stores, sadly, but if I ever come across it, it's going to be an instant buy.

I'm really looking forward to this mentioned collection box being released to the PS3. I really need to get my hands on a PS3 soon...
    Hironobu Sakaguchi

Such a fantastic game. Definetely in my top 10. Everything was great about it, the Colosi themselves, the enviroment, the music, the surprisingly great story, and even the ending however weird and sligthly disapointing it may be.

Spoiler:
    Wander turns into a baby and his girlfriend adopts him it looks like.

Can't wait for The Last Guardian. Whenever that comes out.

Soup Kitchen Jerk. Shadow of the Colossus Polk's Avatar

Bumping the hell out of this thread because This news story with this trailer showed up on Giant Bomb today, and I'm just a little excited.

It's interesting to see that they're adding a co-op feature to Ico, and the best thing is that both games will support 3D.

Because people still give a shit about 3D I guess?
    Let's go into the "archives" in "Washington D.C." and find out how people "masturbated" in the "roaring 20's."

Crao Porr Cock8. Bitch.

Well, the best thing to me is that it wasn't all just rumors! Not gonna lie...I got goosebumps when Wander was running towards the Colossus ~45 seconds into the vid. I also want to see the additional ending that's going to be in Ico.
    Last edited by Dodie16; 09-16-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Typo
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    Evil BAD Guys

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie16 View Post
    I got goosebumps when Wander was running towards the Colossus ~45 seconds into the vid.
    I got goosebumps the second the video switched to Shadow of the Colossus. The music got me before the image. =o

I seriously can't wait for these to come out in stores for the PS3. I've not played Ico, but if I can buy a HD version with SotC, then that's a bonus.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favourite gaming experiences ever. Every time I fought and defeated a colossi, I felt terrible. The music was epic also, and the scenery was absolutely beautiful. Felt teary at the ending...

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

The Lone Dagger Shadow of the Colossus Xithor's Avatar

I love Shadow of the Colossus! And after hearing this news I'm really excited to get to play it on my PS3. It looks amazing!

I do have one question though. Is it going to be a re-make of the SotC from the PS2 or are they gonna create in Colossus' and a slightly new story or a continuation of the previous one? Those Colossus looked a lot like the ones that I encountered in the first installment.

Wanna Know More:
    Like Kingdom Hearts? Come join the Black Dawn RP!

My latest videos:
    DBZ AMV - Breathe Into Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - My Hands
    Kingdom Hearts - Stand My Ground
    Naruto - Way Away
    Other Videos on my YouTube Channel: Xithor22's Channel

It's just going to be remastered into HD, so this SotC that's coming out on PS3 will be the same game as what it was on the PS2, just with smoother frame-rate and better graphics.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    Evil BAD Guys

This ain't no place for no hero Shadow of the Colossus Tiffany's Avatar

SQUEEEEE!!!!!

It was the music that got me as well. SO FREAKING EXCITED! We don't even have our PS2 hooked up anymore.

I'm amazed how many people that loved Shadow of the Colossus have never played Ico. Ico is a fantastic, albeit completely different, experience, so those just buying the collection for SotC will be in for an extra treat as well.

Until now!

I played a demo of it long ago, and thought it was a really good game. I was amazed by how large the world was, and how beautiful the landscape was. Would love to buy it if I get the money for it sometime, and would definitely recommend it, just based on the demo.
    "Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our perspectives that separate us."
    —Squall Leonhart