Thread: Online Gaming Badasses

Che

Online Gaming Badasses

Who started the elitist "I'm too badass to talk to you" mentality? I used to think the people who acted like that were "badass" when I was like 14 and playing FFXI, but as I grew up and became less young and impressionable I realized those guys are just nerdy douches.

You can't ask a successful elitist a question, because you'll get ignored because you "aren't worth their time".

What happened to the days of videogaming where it was for fun, and people just helped each other out?

Certified tech, come at me! Online Gaming Badasses SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Online Gaming Badasses

I'm pretty sure the many users who play Street Fighter Online at that one website of it are exactly what you describe. I totally agree with your question on what happened to when games were just for fun helping each other out. Videogames have become more and more competitive these days unfortunately.

If you want the play games for fun helping each other outness, theres always New Super Mario Bros Wii with its 4 player co-op action.
    Currently Playing:

Che

Quote Originally Posted by Sabin Rene Figaro View Post
    If you want the play games for fun helping each other outness, theres always New Super Mario Bros Wii with its 4 player co-op action.
    Rofl. Sad, but true. Only "casual" games are exempt from this now.

Since when did competition mean you couldn't communicate with your teammate. I remember 10 ish years ago when that's what gaming was. You'd sit next to your opponent playing split screen and tell them they weren't as good as you (in your own slang) while you were competing against each other. And then you'd laugh about it.

Now, people just won't talk to you, or enjoy anything other than the feeling of being the badass being the computer monitor.

Lame.

Banned Online Gaming Badasses

Why do they act like that?
    Simple...
    That is the only place they will ever have power in their whole lives.
    They are weak people in many ways besides strength, that actually being last.

Read:"Internet Tough-guy"

Registered User Online Gaming Badasses

^ Pretty much that, though I honestly don't think it's just limited to just online games. Pretty much anywhere that has an online community will have those types that feel that they are superior because they know more, been there longer, or whatever else that goes on in their minds.

I think that since "the elitists" feel like they have the protection of anonymity on the internet, that they can do whatever they please to people, since if you did do that in real life, you would feel real consequences of your actions. It's liberating in a sense (I guess), but it's also uncalled for in many cases, such as just being a complete jerk to those who just need a little help here and there.

On the subject of games: I'm not a competitive person really, but I do feel that there are those that get too involved in it and it brings out the worst in them. Now that there's competitions for money, and tournaments to see who's the best in the state/country/world, it just adds to the "eliticism" that you described in your OP.
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

...means nothing to no way Furore's Avatar

Elitists have been around since at least 1999ish when I started at LANs.
    Trouble is you get more twats playing videogames online these days.
    I shouldn't have to yell SHUT THE **** UP YOU STUPID ****ING **** just to stop their annoying chittering. Makes me sometimes think that whoever invented voice chat in online games should be shot. Taunt animations/typed text communication were much more fun.
    victoria aut mors

Quote Originally Posted by Silver
    Elitists have been around since at least 1999ish when I started at LANs.
    This. Exactly this. The internet revolution has changed nerds. Think about the nerd stereotypes of old. Shy, introverted, usually polite science majors who were constantly tormented by jocks and the like. What are nerds today (gamers particularly)? Mouthy, sexist, homophobic, arrogant gits who do nothing but hurl childish and vulgar insults at 'noobs' and other supposed morons (and yes, I'm aware of the hilarity that I'm the one pointing this out). I don't know if the internet is directly responsible (lack of face to face contact?) or if it's just a coincidence that all the anti-bullying "you're better than them" propaganda happened to go to the nerds' head around the time of its emergence, but nerds (again, particularly gamers) have become horrible people, often more intolerant than those that used to bully them. It's remarkable really.
    Last edited by Jin; 04-23-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Until now!

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Boasting about being the best is ridiculous. So you have more experience playing a particular game? It doesn't matter. If that's the only fun you get out of playing a game, that's a pretty sad reason to play.

I play video games to have fun. I have no interest in "pwning" anyone. I just laugh at the people who do have an interest in just winning. At the end of the day, it's just a video game.

I've just realised that there aren't many co-op games out there... well, ones that I'd enjoy anyway.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

Imperius Rex Online Gaming Badasses Storm's Avatar

Yeah, its one of the reasons I decided to give up on playing WoW (as well as not having the time). I found that going dungeoning you would sometimes have a great party where everyones out to have fun and help eachother, however you will get absolute douches. My character is a tank, and I think I do my job pretty well, however sometimes you'll get idiots who expect too much from you and just give you abuse (they'll normally attract the aggro themselves and it can be incredibly hard to get it back off them). I tend to say that if they don't think i'm doing my job properly, how I can improve, but they seem to have more fun taunting and making my job physically harder. These tend to be the people who dungeon-rush too. I thought for a while that maybe I am crap at my job, but other people have had no problem and think I do it fine.

I guess it is also the trouble being a well-mannered, well-spoken person on a server full of arrogant no-lifes. They really sap the fun out of anything.
    PSN username: Raikujaku
    A meow-ed member of PRK9

Blog Entries

Because when people found out that there are kids out there making six digits a year being the top team in the world at a video game, along with having access to all kinds of fame, sponsorships, and adderall, people have jumped on the bandwagon and put hours and hours a day to become an internet superstar. Afterall, how cool would it be to make money pwning noobs at your favorite video game?
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2