View Poll Results: Controllers?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an ACE with every controller, EVER. ALL THE TIME!

5 25.00%
  • I am pretty competant, but do get disoriented occasionally.

14 70.00%
  • I am terrible with button placement on controllers... *hangs head in shame*

0 0%
  • Controllers, shmonrollers! Mouse and keyboard all the way, baby!

1 5.00%

Thread: Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right?

Registered User Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right?

Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right?

So, I had a realization a while back: I've owned a Playstation system since the first, and yet I still get hung up on the locations of the buttons sometimes, mostly when it comes to those damn quick-time events. I tend to second-guess myself, and occasionally end up hitting the wrong button anyway, or hit the right one too late. So I got to thinking: Does anyone else experience problems like that? It doesn't have to just be with PS controllers either, that was just my example.

And to add a bit more discussion value to this topic, here's some other (totally optional) questions:

Which system had your favorite controller? Least favorite?

Anyone ever buy any third-party controllers?
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Re: Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right?

I had an occasional problem like that with the PlayStation controller. But it wasn't so much to do with the controller itself, more the game that has me in a rush or require me to be quick.

My favorite controller, most people will say it, but probably the PlayStation controller. It's pretty simple, not too big *ahem*N64*.

Third party controllers? Not sure what that is, to be honest, so to the question, more than likely no.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy

Up Next: Final Fantasy II

#LOCKE4GOD Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? Alpha's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can cope with anything after a period of adjustment. PlayStation controllers are like an extension of my arm. XBox controllers still make no sense to me.

I once bought a third-party controller, because I needed a new memory card, and (for some weird reason) the cheapest one also came with a controller. It was a completely weird and un-ergonomic shape, but it made some things easier. I think I did that FFIX Hippaul racing with it.

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? Xanatos's Avatar

I chose the last option even though I'm really good with controllers, still, if I've been given an option I'll always go with mouse and keyboard even while playing games such as Pro Evo.

PS1 controller would be my favorite, it simple and small which is good since I have small hands. Worst one? Definitely N64 controller, it's huge and clunky.

Third party controller is something I buy often, you can find quality ones really cheap and it always comes in handy while playing racing games, and certain console titles on my PC.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

I own a PlayStation 3. And i play it alot. So i`m used to the controller and it`s easy to play even in your given example. But i still can use keyboard and mouse very well.

I haven`t owned any other console or controller, so i can`t tell.

And no, i haven`t bought a third-party controller, but Xanatos expernience did intrigue me, and i think i will check what it is.
    I apologize if you was like this '''' . If i made any gramar, spelling or any other stupid mistakes, i`m sorry

attempting to bribe the Mayor of Lambeth Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? Xanatos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by latvis20 View Post
    And no, i haven`t bought a third-party controller, but Xanatos expernience did intrigue me, and i think i will check what it is.
    You can buy both PS and XBox controler with USB port which you can use for playing games on both your console and PC, bit more expensive than usual one, but well worth if you ask me.

As for third party controllers, I sugest either CANYON or Logitech. The ones made by CANYON are lot cheaper, although not on par with Logitech their design and quality is still superb. I got mine last year with two years guarantee on it, it's by far the best controler I ever had which says something as I also had PS2 controler with USB port.

Sig and Avy made by Unknown Entity

Nobody Shaves Me Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? Gummy's Avatar

The only problem I get with button placement is games that require you to tap a lot quickly. No problem if it's just, maybe, 10-20 taps, but more than that at a very quick pace is tough on the ol' thumbs with a PS controller. In my case, anyway. Never press the wrong button exactly...sometimes press two buttons on the d-pad instead on one since they are very close together.

Do arcade sticks count in this topic? Definitely my MadCatz Street Fighter 4 TE stick.

Favourite regular controller would have to be the PS3 pad, even if the R2 + L2 are a tad annoying at times. Sometimes putting the pad down sets them off which can lead to some badness. If the attack button just happens to be on the shoulders, and you just happen to be in front of a friendly npc....

Least is Xbox. It's just a bit too big.

I only ever picked up two third party controllers before, I think. The one I got for the PS2 was great, outlasted my official ones. The second one...not so hot.
    Last edited by Gummy; 10-29-2011 at 05:24 AM.

艶かしき安息、躊躇いに微笑み Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? ZantetsukeN's Avatar

I have never had any problems switching between controllers on my systems. I have got 5 different systems in my house (3 of them in my room), and I play on all of them at some point. I have no problem with PS2/3 controllers. Some can be disorientating due to size, but I adjust pretty quickly.

Favourite controller? I'd like to say PS, but my real favourite would be Gamecube. It's more unique than a lot of controllers, and I wish some companies would take ideas from Nintendo on this one.

Least favourite? Probably Xbox. I don't hate them, but I find them the hardest to adjust to when I have been playing on the other systems. I also couldn't get along with Dreamcast controllers. I never had N64, so I cannot comment.

Some third party controllers are great. I have only ever bought them for PS2. Some look really great, like the Batman controller for PS3. I want so bad.

Death Before Dishonor Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? Josh_R's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have never had a problem adapting to any kind of controller, the hardest to get used to was the xbox one. Mostly cause all my life it was sony ps all the way. Bit of a change up but I got it now.

Best controller I have ever owned

The yobo for ps2
    Attached Images Attached Images Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right?-playstation-double-shock-controller-2e9f-170-jpg 

Sitting here waiting for Rocky, and Che to notice me!!

Everyone needs a savior Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? the_savior21's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_R View Post
    I have never had a problem adapting to any kind of controller, the hardest to get used to was the xbox one. Mostly cause all my life it was sony ps all the way.
    Ya i had Sony growin up too then my brother got an xbox and it was just so much bigger but like u said im used to it now
    Don't look to others for knowledge, this is your story.

PSN: jwitt2123
    be sure to include in the request that you are from
    this forum and also ur username on here, if you intend
    to add me that is thanks

Currently playing
    FFIX- PSP via PSN, COD Black Ops (Zombies) - PS3

Most Played FF = FFVIII
    FF7-12, FF8-28, FF9-12, FFX-23

Every story must have an ending and every story needs a savior

As soon as I know what button does what I'm all good regardless of system (ps, xbox, pc, wii) although I'm predominantly PS, I play xbox with friends often and have no trouble pwning. But in comparison to the PS controller, the xbox's is oversized, chunky and the buttons feel funny IMO. Dislike. ^^

I will save the world Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? Hero without a Name's Avatar

First off...Subject title FTW. I like to say I am pretty good with controllers, whether it was super nintendo, n64, game cube, x-box or ps. I had a good feel with it, minus the wii controller, I was good. Though the gamecube controller was my fav of all time.

"I may save the world, but you'll never know why"

My TFF Family

Judge Magister Brother in Arms: To give peace to the world and look cool doing it

Firefly: Baby cousin To spread joy to all who read the forums

The_Dream_Recluse: Witty brother with a sweet sword

Bailiax: My star stealing sister who lives in the beautiful deep sea.

Chocobo_Lover 17- Sister who is breeding my army of chocobos

Lion Heart: Gunblade hero under our hero clan

Chief Inspiring Officer Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? Cyanist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did have a brief challenge getting used to the PS-2 button configuration while playing those tough exercises of Jak 2, but I adapted. It is now my favorite controller.
    I do recall how Super NES controllers kept breaking, but perhaps that's because I wasn't the first owner? In the past, though, I have had to perform surgery on more than one N-64 joystick so they have no excuse.
    ~I'm sorry I haven't been around very much~

The votes are in for the sketch contest. See who won the epic battle here:
    http://thefinalfantasy.net/forum...12-voting.html

Maridia

My favorite controller is the 360. It's perfectly shaped and really don't think they need to switch it from here on in.

Least fave is...you know I've never really played controllers I hate. People said the original version 1 Xbox controllers were bad. But I never played them since I didn't get it til a couple years after. Third party controllers are shit. Those suck no matter which ones you get. I've played third party controllers from N64, PS2, Gamecube, and 360. None of them were good. They're all made of the cheapest plastic, the sizing is never right, and they die without even slamming them. Usually the joystick gets wonky after a month of playing.

I realized that I've played my PSP when I did MGS Portable ops by holding it normally. but having to **** my pointer finger over the top so my thumb uses the d pad and pointer uses the joystick. That's more so the way they made the game though.

chocolateer Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? 01habbo's Avatar

I'm going to go retro and say that the megadrive controller was my favourite. It wlas nicely shaped so it was easy to hold, only had the d pad and three buttons, nothing to get confused over, it was just simple.

The worst I would have to agree with others was the N64 one, despite looking ugly it was hard to hold and confusing the analog stick was uncomfortable and there were too many buttons, it was ridiculous.

Memento RK Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? Yoko's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's wrong with the N64 controller? Oh wait...
    :

To be honest though, it was one of my favs. I loved playing Star Fox 64. Having both the directional buttons and the analog there was great. I believe it was the first of it's kind, as far as I can remember. I believe I held the middle part and the right part most of the time. That way I could reach the z button on the back with ease. I rarey used the directional buttons, unless I needed to do something that actually needed them.

I hated the xbox controllers. Maybe it was their set up in the games, but I just couldn't get used to it.

I love the PS ones. Easy to hold and the X, circle, triangle, square is easy to remember. I barely need to look at it. I do get disoriented sometimes, but it depends on the time of day I'm playing.
    [CENTER]
    The one and ONLY Female member of CPC8 Makin' it HAPPEN!

Things!!:

Sneaky Member of EVIL BAD GUYS

MSN RANDOMS:
    Brett Litz says (5:50 PM)
    (my first letter of my first name key is ****ed up, so i can't type that)
    vrett
    -_-
    ve yourself
    is what i said
    not "do you"
    ugh

Best RP:Final Fantasy Chronicles of Exigo~The Fall of Spira
    Check it out. The Fall of Spira is finished!

Sharing is caring, and caring is ment to be shared Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? The Dark Crystal's Avatar

I have my moments, just as much as any other person, when I'm not pacing myself. It's better for me to keep my thumb hovering in the middle of all four buttons, then near one specifically, which helps during the process.

The Xbox 360 controller takes the gold in my book, mainly because of it's size, and it's convenience of fitting into my hands perfectly.

Picked up a third-party controller from Wal-Mart ages ago for the Ps2, can't remember the brand name, and it didn't last that long which is probable why I don't remember in the first place.
    THE GREAT CONJUNCTION IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Or the beginning. Hm! -Aughra

gaming service ID:

Kiss with a fist. Oh hey. Controllers are pretty cool to talk about, right? Dranzer's Avatar

I honestly had/have issues with the XBOX 360 controller. It had nothing to do with the button arrangement, size, analog sticks, or the d-pad. My issues were more on a personal fail level as I can't seem to get the hang of using one analog stick to control the view and the other to actually move. Specifically on games like Halo where this practice is used a lot. Frustrating as hell, and I seem to get confused as I'll be facing one direction, but I'll be moving in a total opposite one. [insert head desk here]

soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
    happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
    PRK9 ♥ Prestige+ ♥ GDEAA