Thread: Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3

Registered User Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3

Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3

It was announced today that Mass Effect 2 is set to appear on store shelves for the PS3 in January 2011. Along with the full version of the game, there's also going to be "hours of bonus content" included.

Source: Mass Effect 2 Leaps to PlayStation 3 - PCWorld

I've heard good things about this game, so I'm definitely interested in seeing it appear on a game console that I have, though I wonder just how this will work considering that I don't have/never played the first one, and there's no news on a port of that game heading to the PS3... Some comments I've read on different sites say it doesn't matter, and others a dead set on "if you haven't played the first one, then you won't have a feel for the mythology and characters!"

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Click at your own risk.:
    Proud Member of:
    Por Rorr Kitty9
    "Mess with us, and the claws come out!"
    Evil BAD Guys
    "Not just evil...not just bad...EVIL BAD!"
    The above userbar was made for me by FATE!!! He is awesome.
    The above banner was made for me by VIVIMASTERMAGE!!! He is awesome as well.

Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3 Jin's Avatar

Re: Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3

I was a bit surprised when I heard this (even though the rumour mill has been on this for quite a while) because it doesn't make any sense to me to release this without the first one. I don't know the legal status of the first Mass Effect, but Microsoft published it, so unless EA bought the rights from them, there's a good chance they own it and it will therefore never come to the PS3. Whether or not it can be enjoyed properly without the first game is up for debate, but I think those that didn't experience the first won't get anywhere near the same experience as those that have. If you're someone that doesn't care much about story though, it's good enough.

Also, Ray mentioned something about extra features being included, but didn't specify what he meant by that. Will it just include DLC that's out to date or will it be some exclusive PS3 content? Maybe a way to manually adjust the decisions that were supposed to be carried over from the first game? Who knows.

Until now!

Certified tech, come at me! Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3 SuperSabin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dang, that doesn't sound bad at all. I didn't see that coming. Might have to gamefly it if i have a subscription around that time. Thats not the only xbox exclusive coming to PS3 but also Dead Rising 2 as well. I'm gonna go with dead rising 2 first since that sounds really appealing at the moment.
    Currently Playing:

This ain't no place for no hero Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3 Tiffany's Avatar

Kinda sorta off topic, but is it true that they're doing a Mass Effect movie? I'd be game to see that.

On topic:

Sounds good that they're porting it to the PS3. Its a GREAT game. Both my guy and I put a ton of hours into it. I just hope that if they are releasing it with added features for PS3 users that it'll be available for DLC for those of us that played it on Xbox.

.............. Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3 smurphy's Avatar

I do not necessarily think that not playing the original will inhibit anyones experience of playing the second installment. Although I bought the original I really didnt get around to playing it but considering I have played through 2 I think 2 does a good job of filling in the blanks in regard to the characters already seen in the original, what with the amount of dialogue and dialogue options it would be hard not to. Playing the first one will enhance the experience of Mass Effect 2 but you neednt have played the original in order to enjoy 2. I can only describe it as a brilliant sci fi shooter in its own right.

If nothing else, I hope they can do something about the loading times with the PS3 version. which was my main grumble with the 360 version.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Winston S.Churchill

Blog Entries

Yay for Sony porting over an incomplete trilogy?

and if this movie biz was real, which if it is that's awesome, I wonder what the canon Shepard + all of his decisions would be. That would be interesting to find out.
    †SOLDIER† - "Yep still better than you"
    CPC8: It's hard out here for a pimp.™

hahas, updated July 28th (oldie but goodie!):
    Quote Originally Posted by from the CPC8
    Pete: Meier, don't even lie. I know you were going on a nice little tear before you settled down with the new gf

che: rofl <3 Meier.

Loaf: Meier is the best.

Meier: Hey Pete, I said I started to, it just didn't end the with the same number of women. Then again this one is kind of on the outs with me if she doesn't straighten up and fly right so that means I will be back in it for the thrill of the kill. Got some in the reserves. Even got a rePETEr (<---- like that ay? AYYYYY?) on the back burner.

Block: I do like the rePETEr except it kinda makes it sound like you're going to pork Pete. No homo.

(Updated April 13th 2013)Currently Playing: League of Legends, FTL, Dead Island, Borderlands 2, KotoR 2

This ain't no place for no hero Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3 Tiffany's Avatar

I saw on Facebook (so you KNOW its totally fer realz!!!!!!) rumours that they're looking to cast Matthew Fox (Jack Sheppard of LOST fame) as Commander Shepard.

I personally think that's a GREAT choice... but I'm partial to Matthew Fox.

Although personally... **** Commander Shepard. I want to know who's going to play Thane!!!

Only plays for sport Unknown Entity's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Matthew Fox... hawt.

Ahem.

I'm indifferent in opinion about this. I've heard a lot of great things about this game, and I'd like to be able to play it (other than on PC). However, an incomplete trilogy?

That's not really a huge deal, but if it plays like something is missing? Then I'll probably leave it. I'll wait and see if there's any hype over it nearer the time. Although, I could always pick up the first game for PC instead of crying over the first one not coming to PS3.

"I used to be active here like you, then I took an arrow in the knee."
    >>>------------->

Suddenly... clutter.:

Me and the lovely Joey is two cheeky chimpmonks, we is. Because TFF cousins can still... do stuff. ; )

Quotes to have a giggle at.:

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachfangirl
    I'm none too scary really. Just somewhat violent...
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN Convo
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    ^^;
    brb
    Bleachie says:
    Kay
    ...*runs around with a stick*
    I AM SPARTACUS!!!
    Hm, no one's here...
    TIME TO PARTY!
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Gemma the friggin' Entity. says:
    back
    Bleachie says:
    DARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Now that we've apparently discussed wanting to see each other sleep with a game character... how goes?

All my banners are now done by me! Soon, I will be great! Muwahahahaha... ha... eck! *coughs* ...ha!
    Biggest fan of Peanut Butter created by The Xeim and Halie Peanut Butter Corporation ^^

Warning free for over eight years. Feels good.

'eh, after playing the first but not keeping my saves properly to carry over, I really felt cheated on the 2nd. All the choices you make in the first are supposed to be carried over, but if you didn't have a safe file for the first they retconned a lot of things. The human I saved was different from the one they automatically pick, whether or not the Krogan from the first is dead or alive was automatically set to dead, and a few other very annoying things.

*****Mass Effect 1 Spoilers******

Spoiler:
    Maybe if they add an option for some quick Q&A at the start for if you've played the first but cant' carry over a save. That would've been nice. It's only maybe 10 questions. "Did you fight or talk down Wrex" "Did you save Ashley or whatever that guy's name was?" etc.

If the first game isn't going to be ported as well, PS3 owners will most likely miss out on a lot of content they would've otherwise have gotten depending on the choices made in the first game.

Example:

Spoiler:
    In the first game, there was this party member named Wrex, one of the coolest characters in the game. There is a moment where he turns hostle, and depending on how you handled the situation, he'll either be dead or alive in the next game. If you play the second game without a completed save file fromt he first game, he is automatically dead. So PS3 owners are most likely never going to experience what would happened if he lived unless Bioware somehow makes it so you can customize how the first game turned out at the beginning of the game.

Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3 Jin's Avatar

Bioware has stated that they are going to construct some sort of method for PS3 owners to get the full experience (speaking story-wise, I can only assume) of the first game. What that means, I've no idea, but at least all (or most?) of the DLC currently out on Xbox Live will be included on the PS3 game disc. That's...something I guess.

Until now!

Sharing is caring, and caring is ment to be shared Mass Effect 2 is heading to the PS3 The Dark Crystal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    I do not necessarily think that not playing the original will inhibit anyones experience of playing the second installment. Although I bought the original I really didnt get around to playing it but considering I have played through 2 I think 2 does a good job of filling in the blanks in regard to the characters already seen in the original, what with the amount of dialogue and dialogue options it would be hard not to. Playing the first one will enhance the experience of Mass Effect 2 but you neednt have played the original in order to enjoy 2. I can only describe it as a brilliant sci fi shooter in its own right.

If nothing else, I hope they can do something about the loading times with the PS3 version. which was my main grumble with the 360 version.
    That is correct, I downloaded the demo on XBL a couple of weeks ago, and it fills you in on the first game as soon as it starts. (Reminded me of DBZ episode) I would recommend playing the first game if you haven't already, just for the fact that it is a bad a**, none stop thriller, that can be played for weeks before completing, and it has excellent replay value.

If you played the first game, then your last save from ME will be loaded and all of your choices you made in the first game, will play a big roll in the second game. So I imagine they will fix that where the PS3 users will get a full recap on the the character's and story of the first game. (More so, then the xbox 360 version, I mean)

Who knows though, this could just be a money making scam to pull out a third one, because I noticed the price drop at a dramatic rate, compared to a lot of other games on the 360. (Just a theory)
    THE GREAT CONJUNCTION IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Or the beginning. Hm! -Aughra

gaming service ID: